PDA

View Full Version : Rock Party

Shark Bait
06-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I need some help in my back yard. We've got a leak in our pond liner. The problem is it's under a couple of large rocks. I'd bet the top one is 500 lbs or better. The leak is under the bottom one. I'm thinking, maybe I could get my engine hoist out there, under some plywood or something, and pick the top rock up. And then use some muscle to move the bottom rock while we fix the liner. It would be impossible to get any equipment back there cause the fence and gates are already in place.

What's everyone think? Can I get a crew to help me? It would probably not be until the weekend of 6/30-7/1. I'll provide food and :beer:. I'm in Parker, east of Parker Road about 3 miles. We're on the Black Bear (Canterberry) golf course.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
06-11-2007, 12:00 AM
i'll help.
just give me a reminder a week ahead of time.
i've got a strap i could bring.

subzali
06-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Give me a lever long enough and I will move the world.

Anybody got a nice long steel tamper? :D

nakman
06-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I've got a nice big rock bar.. set it up Chris we'll move that sucker.

treerootCO
06-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I can supervise if needed :p:

Hulk
06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I'll come down if I'm in town. We may be in Estes Park with a bunch of relatives.

Shark Bait
06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Well, "The Boss" said wait until fall. I'll revive this thread in September or October and we'll do it then. Thanks everyone.

Shark Bait
09-13-2007, 10:07 AM
We've re-scheduled this for 9/29. Please let me know if you can make it and we'll provide food and :beer::beer:. Anyone is welcome.

I'll try my engine hoist ahead of time and see if it fits up against the wall. We'll have to be careful about using pry bars so we don't damage the liner below the rocks. Bring gloves if you have them.

timmbuck2
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
am would work for me...pm the Mrs. is playing tennis...

T

We've re-scheduled this for 9/29. Please let me know if you can make it and we'll provide food and :beer::beer:. Anyone is welcome.

I'll try my engine hoist ahead of time and see if it fits up against the wall. We'll have to be careful about using pry bars so we don't damage the liner below the rocks. Bring gloves if you have them.

Hulk
09-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I'll be around.

ginericLC
09-13-2007, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=Shark Bait;37435]It would be impossible to get any equipment back there cause the fence and gates are already in place.
QUOTE]

Chris,

Sorry to be SA. But "impossible" because of a fence and some gates, that sounds like a challenge. Impossible means that there is no chance of the event occuring. I imagine that it would be possible but not without causing problems for your fence and gate. By the way, that is a nice back yard you have there.

corsair23
09-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Chris,

Not to be pessimistic but by chance are you preparing to have to actually replace the liner? Whole lot more work from what I can see but after spending numerous summers trying to help my folks "fix" their leaky liner in the end the only solution was complete replacement :(

Shark Bait
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Chris,

Not to be pessimistic but by chance are you preparing to have to actually replace the liner? Whole lot more work from what I can see but after spending numerous summers trying to help my folks "fix" their leaky liner in the end the only solution was complete replacement :(

Thanks Jeff,

We want to try and "fix" the situation first. We're not sure there is really a hole in the liner. We can actually see a pool of water in the liner, to the left of the red rock. The liner is underneath the red rock in the picture, and we think the ground settled and created a point low enough so that the water is draining off under the rock. So after we lift the rocks up the plan is to build the ground up underneath and put the rocks back. Jeanette doesn't like the red one, so it may go away all together. We'll see. :D

Shark Bait
09-25-2007, 09:53 AM
OK, we're planning on starting this Saturday morning by 10:00 AM. Please let me know who is coming so I can get enough food and :beer:. Let me know if anyone needs directions. :D

Hulk
09-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I think I'll be there. Checking with my better half. :)

corsair23
09-26-2007, 01:05 AM
Not sure I'll be able to make it but if I do it will be late due to soccer games in the morning...Nothing like showing up after the hard work is done and eating food and drinking :beer: to celebrate the hard work of others :hill:

Shark Bait
09-26-2007, 01:22 AM
No problem, Jeff. Anyone is welcome, even if it's just to supervise. :D

Beater
09-26-2007, 07:47 AM
soccer in cheyenne

Shark Bait
09-28-2007, 06:54 PM
There is still a chance for anyone else who wants to drink beer and eat and help out to come down tomorrow. :D

Hulk
09-28-2007, 07:17 PM
I probably won't drink much beer -- too much to do this weekend. But I'll be there by 11 at the latest.

Tch2fly
09-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I can be there at 10 and help out for couple hrs.... PM me the directions from Parker Rd and Lincoln

timmbuck2
09-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Can be there by 10...need directions again...

T

Shark Bait
09-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Thanks guys. See you Saturday. We have plenty of food and :beer:, so anyone is welcome to stop by. Come around back if there's no answer at the front door. :D

Shark Bait
09-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Muchas gracias to Timm, Mike and Matt for stopping by and helping us move large rocks around. I'll post up a pic or two later of the final results.

Shark Bait
09-29-2007, 10:26 PM
So here's the after picture, and one of the offending rock. :D