PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Tacoma Springs

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
06-11-2007, 11:18 AM
One of my springs broke so I am looking for a set of stock springs for a '96 Taco. I would be interested in other solutions or ideas as well.

Red_Chili
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Leif, somewhere I have a pair. However, the reason your main leaf broke is why I removed my stockers before they broke! Your best solution is buying OME springs for a 90-95 XtraCab, removing the shortest leaf (to reduce lift a bit), and installing those. They will ride better and last a BUNCH longer.

There are no aftermarket springs that are both affordable and worth owning other than the OMEs to my knowledge. You could relocate the hangers if you wanted, which is not that hard but maybe more than you wanted to do. The '96 and '97 Tacos had a shorter pack than the 98+ Tacos, for which there are a BUNCH of options.

gcmandrake
06-12-2007, 10:52 AM
As Bill says you need to be carefull, the '96 Taco has a shorter set of leaf springs than the later years. I bought the OME springs for my '96 Taco and found out that they were too long. No worries since I had Mike Caskey at Off Road Solutions move the mounts forward. I did give leiniesred (I think) my old springs quite some time ago, I wonder if he still has them.

the Other Matt

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the info. Let me know if you come across any.

Red_Chili
06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
You could probably find a set of '89-'95 XtraCab stock springs for free, everyone takes them off and throws them in the scrap pile when going to lift springs. Don't those give the early Tacos a slight lift, like an inch or something? They are soft, but not as bad as Tacoma leafs and have a nice transition to the overload, not too harsh. I drove on my overload for a year or so after I put the 'Nest on. Actually a pretty good ride on the overload.
That's what I did, with marginal success. Problem is, they are usually a bit sacked. It will work and it is cheap, but the OMEs are far better.

Be sure if you go the OME route, get the springs for the 89-95 truck, NOT the springs for the Taco. They are too long and intended for 98+ Tacos.

Or you can relocate the spring hangers as mentioned unless that is more than you wanted to do.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
06-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Thank Bill. I'll take the springs you have. PM me with what you want for them and where I can find you.