PDA

View Full Version : Where to get steel

Boulder Cruiser
06-11-2007, 11:53 AM
So i want to weld up some tubed sliders for the 40, Problem is i have no idea where to get the steel, I went to all the local shops/stores and couldnt find anything. Any places you guys know of?

Red_Chili
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I like Altitude Steel, I believe they are listed on DexOnline as Atlas Steel unless it has been changed. 15th around the RR tracks downtown Denver. Open Sat. mornings.

nuclearlemon
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
den col, by the western complex.

DevinSixtySeven
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Been looking around for some tube myself lately.

Tube Service and Henton sell HREW and DOM, Atlas claimed to only have sch40 and DenCol flat stated they don't sell round tube.

I did find, tho, Henton has fairly good prices on round tube and pipe...303-922-6389.

...and Tubeservice is at 303-321-9200.

The guys I talked to at both suppliers were very helpful.

Henton seemed to be a little less expensive, but also from what I've heard Tubeservice deals mainly in bulk, just different business models I guess.

-Sean

Uncle Ben
06-11-2007, 03:21 PM
I had a call for anyone who wanted a buy in and no one answered! I went in with someone else on a wholesale order. I did however discover that Spidertrax.com sells at a good price for 20' or more! Better price than I could get from any other suppliers without having a wholesale account set up. Check it out it might be better than what you were quoted!

Been looking around for some tube myself lately.

Tube Service and Henton sell HREW and DOM, Atlas claimed to only have sch40 and DenCol flat stated they don't sell round tube.

I did find, tho, Henton has fairly good prices on round tube and pipe...303-922-6389.

...and Tubeservice is at 303-321-9200.

The guys I talked to at both suppliers were very helpful.

Henton seemed to be a little less expensive, but also from what I've heard Tubeservice deals mainly in bulk, just different business models I guess.

-Sean

SROR/AKA 2BAD
06-11-2007, 03:51 PM
hinton hands down!

great folks

cheapest in town and they'll cut you what you want.

if your running a side rail and welding tube to it you will need 10 feet. 60 inches each side. hinton will sell you 10 feet.
20 feet of hrew will run you maybe $40.

you can link them off my web site ;)

edit:::: when i called tube service the girl i talked to gave me some rediculous prices for hrew (don't think she was 2bright)

Rezarf
06-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Altitude has a scrap rack that you can dig through, you can easily find enough length for sliders...

oh and its $.50/#

Drew

Uncle Ben
06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Altitude has a scrap rack that you can dig through, you can easily find enough length for sliders...

oh and its $.50/#

Drew

Altitude????:confused:

DevinSixtySeven
06-12-2007, 08:13 AM
Altitude = Atlas.

UB thanks for the pointer! I'm not used to shops selling lower than the steel yard, that's about unheard of.

I'd be up for a group bulk buy, but it's likely going to be HREW and large diameter, I don't know if that's really useful. If it is, I'll be buying somewheres in the end of June or beginning of July.

-Sean

Uncle Ben
06-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Altitude = Atlas.

UB thanks for the pointer! I'm not used to shops selling lower than the steel yard, that's about unheard of.

I'd be up for a group bulk buy, but it's likely going to be HREW and large diameter, I don't know if that's really useful. If it is, I'll be buying somewheres in the end of June or beginning of July.

-Sean

When I talked to them I took the chance and asked the same question. They build quite a few tube buggies so they buy a lot of tube. They also store quite an inventory. Their tube prices are based on what they paid for the material. If they bought it at a cheaper rate then you will pay based on that rate. If you need tube they are out of or don't stock they will get an order together and you will pay based on what they pay. I did end up getting a better rate through a friend but it's also a one time buy in. Side note: If you need heims or most any other buggy type part they probably stock it. Some prices will be great others not so great. Know what you're buying!

Boulder Cruiser
06-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Sweet thanks for the info guys!! sorry for the newb question but whats "HREW"
The slider that you make SROR is basically what i want to make, like this one...
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/Bouldercruiser/40_slider_bolt-on.jpg
Might just have to buy a pair from you!

Boulder Cruiser
06-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Has anyone made any custom jerry can holders using the stock spare mount and or bumper on the earlier cruisers? I dont think ive ever seen a pic of one, its always the the 74+ style rear bumper with the square lights...None with the two round lights. I know that that SOR and Man-A-fre make them but there kinda on the :twocents: side Got any pics of some custom spare tire mounts?....

wesintl
06-12-2007, 10:41 AM
sorry for the newb question but whats "HREW"

I'm a steel noob myself..

DOM -drawn over mandrel
hrew - hot rolled electronic welded
crew - cold rolled electronic welded

This might help
http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org click on products