PDA

View Full Version : shipping vs Towing advice

gr8fulabe
06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Hi all,

I need some advice.

My parents just got an offer on their home just outside of Chicago & are moving.

that means, "my extra spot" in the garage is disappearing & I need to get my 65 Galaxie 500 conv. out of it. I have a friend that will loan me a garage spot out here until I finally get a garage built.

But, my parents haven't driven it much for me over the last 7 years or so & I have only been home once or twice a year to drive it myself. So, the last time I was home I couldn't keep it running (seemed like it kept flooding out, as though the carb was wide open).

So anyway, I need to get my not really running car out here from there.

I can borrow a friends pickup truck to tow it with, but I would need to rent a car trailer.

So, does it make more sense to pay to ship it, or would it still be cheaper to drive both ways & rent a trailer?? I know that I would prefer to tow it, because I would know it was safe, but I can't afford a ton of time off, or a ton of cash...

So which option would you guys/girls do?

thanks,
Abe

MDH33
06-14-2007, 06:52 PM
With the cost of gas being what it is, I would think it's about the same cost. I would want to tow it myself just because I would not trust a shipper to not bugger it up.

Pics? :D

J Kimmel
06-14-2007, 11:04 PM
pretty easy to ship, they'll bring it right to you. Probably 500 bucks from Chicago, probably 1300 for an enclosed. I shipped a Z06 here from Virginia for 1500 in a pro enclosed. Probably worth the money to ship IMO. We ship cars all the time and its pretty rare to have issues other than time delays. There have been a few, like the SL 500 that came off the trailer at 75, or the 4Runner that got the back crushed when the hydraulics failed:)

Shipping isn't bad, I can answer more questions if you'd like.

J

treerootCO
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
ship it. 650 from WA to CO using my new guy.

Jacket
06-16-2007, 08:39 AM
I guess I've got one of those shipping horror stories (well not really "horror"). Shipped my wife's car from Florida to Colorado. It arrived with damage to the left rear bumper and undercarriage (driver scraped it backing off truck). It also had damage to the A pillar from where something (chain?) banged against it. It also had permanently etched spots on the hood, presumably from a fluid spill or something dripping/leaking on it.

Yes - the trucker paid for all the damages, but I'm now pretty hesitant to use car transport ever again, or at least pay a premium for better service.

Just my 2 cents...

Myredyota
06-17-2007, 10:54 PM
So post up with the names of the good shippers! I will need someone in the next year to bring my Packard here from Florida.:cheers: