PDA

View Full Version : leaking from top of t-case?

CardinalFJ60
06-15-2007, 06:47 PM
So, now...I'm trying to track a leak that seems to be coming from the top of the t-case. I'm I just mis-led or is there a vent or cover that typically can or does leak? what's your initial thought or place to start lookin'?

:cheers:

nakman
06-15-2007, 09:14 PM
How about the speedometer connection?

edit: The speedo o-ring would be the easy fix, looks like there is a vent http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=2259615&postcount=10

wesintl
06-15-2007, 10:01 PM
there is a vent on the top cover... you should be able to reach you hand up there and be able to turn and rotate it. pull the fill plug and make sure you don't have it way over filled too.

also check the tranny fill. The seal between them usually pumps fluid into the tranny but i've heard that it can go the other way too if the seal is bad. I've only had the experience of the tcase pumping the tranny full..

hth

CardinalFJ60
06-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Looks like I've got a plan! thanks for the suggestions; this'll be my morning fun!

:cheers:

subzali
06-16-2007, 08:36 PM
I've been wondering if that's where mine is leaking from too. Mine is NOT filling the tranny, so I think that's really the only other place it could be. Let me know how it goes :D

subzali
06-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Okay Shawn, you've had a week and two days, show us what you got :p:

Don't tell me you're not up to buckroseau speed yet...

I want to know how hard it is before I tear into mine to fix it :D

CardinalFJ60
07-02-2007, 11:04 AM
...jsut got back from a visit with the family. I'll be crawling around/under the 40 this week...

subzali
07-02-2007, 12:17 PM
pshh...going on vacation and letting your truck bleed to death...I see how you are...:D

subzali
07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
I gave up on trying to get the tranny hump off. Partly because trying to get the seats out each time reminds me how bad I want a welder so I can truly fix how that's set up. Partly because I want to repaint everything once it's down that far. Partly because I don't know what it takes to get the shifter levers off. Partly because I would have to remove the heater core, which I don't really want to do right now. Partly because I really should rearrange my cb/Tuffy setup which I don't really want to do right now. Partly because the leak is probably not something easily fixed anyway, and there's a good chance I can clean it from underneath and find it. And mostly because even if I just took it all apart, found the leak, and put it back together it would mean my truck is out of commission, which I don't want right now. Which means I kinda need to get a second 'wheeling truck so I'm more willing to spend the time to do this right. Which could lead to the fabled slippery slope...but for now I'm leaning toward the second 'wheeling/third dd vehicle so stay tuned...don't worry, I have a pretty cool one in mind :D

CardinalFJ60
07-31-2007, 07:43 PM
my mantra is "if it ain't leakin', it's empty"... ;)

Actually, I cleaned up the case, and I'm leaking from the speedo cable and the from the top. I can clearly see a little stream/drip from the top/DS of the case. Then...I was on kiddo duty. So investgation resumes Thursday. I'm also "on" tomorrow night. Sorry I won't be seeing you guys...hopefully on a run soon or the Rally.

subzali
07-31-2007, 08:22 PM
that mantra only applies to Land Rovers ;)

Uh oh...mine appears to be coming from the passenger side...of course I am having trouble crawling under there with the prospect of having all that junk fall on my face, so I don't know for sure. Hopefully it's something simple like the speedo cable or something.

farnhamstj
08-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Matt, pulling all the seats, heater, tuffy, ect. Isn't really that bad. Sure you'll see some stuff you don't wan't to but you can deal with that another time. Getting the stick out is pretty easy once you've done it. I use a needle nose vice grip. Open it a little wider that the diameter of the stick. Press down springloaded deal and turn it 90 degrees. Stick will come right out.

My philosophy is "tring to save time by not taking thing apart always takes longer than if I had just pulled it all apart to begin with."

wesintl
08-01-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't think cardinals was leaking from the top of the case when I crawled under it

CardinalFJ60
08-01-2007, 09:46 AM
You're right Wes - it's leaking from where you pointed out. I also discovered the drip from the top of the case above/left of the fill plug as you're looking at it. It's dripping down the little contour. (sigh) The good news is that I only had to add like 1/2 quart to the x-fer after 3-4 months of leaking.