PDA

View Full Version : No Damage Fun Run?

Chris
06-16-2007, 03:01 PM
I've noticed the vast majority of RS runs tend to be moderate/difficult or overnight runs. I've also noticed a number of people who were interested in a club run back down after finding the run too difficult for their truck or experience. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

If I'm right and anyone's interested in an easy to moderate run where damage isn't likely please post your interest. I don't have anything specific in mind nor am I necessarily offering to organize such a run. My preference has always been getting away, having fun, seeing someplace new, etc.

Anyone else share this view?

:thumb:

nakman
06-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Well to some extent, most the RS is into the moderate stuff, or they've got more than one truck, set up differently. I for one couldn't hang with the Homegrown crew, or some of COTTORA guys, etc. and I think most would agree we're into this for the expedition aspect, more than the bigger & badder rock crawling stuff NNTAWWT. But then again the more you build up your rig the more you want to see what it can do... :rolleyes:

One of my favorite local runs is Kingston Peak, and I've led a group over that the last three years, usually later in the summer (and at night!). that one is pretty, and easy. Let's do that some time, and soon. I'd equate that to rafting down the Colorado in Glenwood canyon.. you find yourself paddling over to hit the bigger rapids.. :)

Also only fitting to point out that two of our club's favorite runs historically have been Gillespie Gulch and Slaughterhouse gulch, both on the easy/moderate end. We lost Gillespie last year to a private land owner, and things as you know aren't looking good for Slaughterhouse right now because of some very ugly misuse... not to turn this into a pitch for becoming more involved with land use issues, but... :bill:

OTOH, my only body damage is from following Yoder on stupid-easy Yankee Hill, so go figure. Once the rest of the snow melts there will be a lot more options to get out there!

Uncle Ben
06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Chris,
Ya gotta just post up what you want to do! There is nearly always someone who has the same appetite for adventure that you do! I do tend to be more harder moderate - Hard Core in my preferences. I have a hard core rig and I also have a wagon. The wagon is a lot more fun on tougher trails as I care about body damage so it brings a whole new aspect to the adventure. However, I very much enjoy mellower trail runs too. My problem is I tend to shy away from crowded trails as I do property management during the week so dealing with people is not how I choose to enjoy myself on the weekends. Whatcha have in mind?

I've noticed the vast majority of RS runs tend to be moderate/difficult or overnight runs. I've also noticed a number of people who were interested in a club run back down after finding the run too difficult for their truck or experience. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

If I'm right and anyone's interested in an easy to moderate run where damage isn't likely please post your interest. I don't have anything specific in mind nor am I necessarily offering to organize such a run. My preference has always been getting away, having fun, seeing someplace new, etc.

Anyone else share this view?

:thumb:

Romer
06-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Bill Moore Lake is an easy trail and the lake is good for a walk and a picnic lunch.

Evrgrnmtnman
06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
I think he's wants to do "Indy"! Total carnage! Have 44" tires and have a mess of sheet metal for replacement.....but this is only if you have spent a good deal of money building your rig!

Groucho
06-16-2007, 07:14 PM
Chris,

I, too, do not always want to spend all day on a 1/2 mile run. Sometimes that is fun, but not always. Take a look at the calendar, there is more than enough of a full range of activities:
June--Fathers day run-Moderate to difficult
July--Ghost Town Run-Easy to moderate over-nighter
August--Triple Bypass-Moderate to difficult(mostly because it is 3 passes in one day, just fast paced is all)
September--Ouray-Easy to moderate overnight run
October--Spooky night run-easy to moderate

Not to mention the quick runs up to rollins pass, bill moore lake, yankee doodle, and red cone to mention a few.

I know that most of these runs have been posted since january, so scheduling could be easy. Add Cruise Moab into the mix, and the summer weekends look really full. In fact, someone might argue that there isn't enough hard core stuff.

We look forward to seeing you on one of these runs this summer!

nuclearlemon
06-16-2007, 07:53 PM
iirc, yankee hill is not adopted yet. how about we adopt an easy trail?

Chris
06-16-2007, 09:18 PM
First, thanks for the replies. I'm not real familiar with many of the trails and can't say there's any specific run I'm interested in doing. I did look at the calendar which is pretty well summed up by Groucho and supports my initial post.

Difficult - June--Fathers day run-Moderate to difficult
Over-Night - July--Ghost Town Run-Easy to moderate over-nighter
Difficult? August--Triple Bypass-Moderate to difficult(mostly because it is 3 passes in one day, just fast paced is all)
Over-Night - September--Ouray-Easy to moderate overnight run
Easy - October--Spooky night run-easy to moderate

As I originally said, most are difficult or over-night. In my year with RS I've seen some new people interested in participating but find out a run was something they couldn't so either because it was too difficult or too time-consuming. Just something triggered by a coversation with someone while selling raffle tickets earlier today. I think some people are interested in RS but drop off when they see these runs. Just something I think should be considered.

I'll be more likely to do some of the shorter, more impromptu stuff since I have a whole lot more free time. My personal favorite area would have to be Ouray - Engineer Pass, Imogene & others last summer were fun. We'll do Black Bear and whatever this year.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
When I read the title of the post I thought it said No Damage, No Fun Run. Sweeeet! :lmao:

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
06-16-2007, 09:29 PM
When I read the title of the post I thought it said "No Damage, No Fun Run". Sweeeet! :lmao:

Romer
06-16-2007, 10:49 PM
You don't have to overnight teh Ghost town run. Quite a few came up and did a day and came back the same day.

For the ralley, my favorit would be Red Cone. That's easy and so beautiful on top. The only place I recall you would say is moderate you can bypass. and Bill Moore is easy. Every summer, a post goes up at least twice "who wants to run Bill Moore"

wesintl
06-16-2007, 10:58 PM
As I originally said, most are difficult or over-night. :

None of those runs are difficult. Half can be run in a day if you choose not to stay overnight.

You get out of the club what you put into it. Step up and lead an easy run.

Bighead
06-17-2007, 08:30 AM
Would there be any issues in my hooking up with RS for some of the runs even though I am not a member?

wesintl
06-17-2007, 09:01 AM
IMHO no issues here. That's part of why this forum is open to everyone vs limited to only Rising Sun folk. If you want to post a run in the event planning section by all means. Cross posts from ttora or other groups accepted too.

We run a quite a few easy trails probably more so than anything difficult. argentine/waldorf, slaugherhouse, jenny creek/rollins pass. Somone will inevitably post a trip to bill moore, yankee hill, georgia pass/swann mtn. Tim has an easy run for the spooky night run. Point is if there is something you want to do post it up. Nathanial would still be waiting for a ghost town run and perry would still be waiting for an outlaw run if they didn't step up and create it. You certainly have the truck and the ability Chris. I would probably even try to attend and bring my bone stock 64 :)

I think most will find we like to wheel with other Yotas but I would certainly wheel with bobzooki, jeeper bob and arlo any day

subzali
06-17-2007, 12:10 PM
In addition there's some forest roads up by Idaho Spgs that I ran a couple of afternoons last summer kinda impromptu that aren't hard, just scenic and while general intuition worked well for me to get in/out, a map, compass and/or GPS would have been useful too.

This summer, or at least some point in the future, I would like to do some exploring up behind Art Hog's house up by Rollinsville, there's lots of easy forest roads up there to just bomb around on. Very scenic as well, and some shooting spots as well.

Just remembered Castle Gulch up Left Hand Canyon was the first run I ever ran with my truck, just posted it up and Uncle Ben happened to be free that day and gave me a hand in the sticky spots and we had a great time!

Oh and BTW Engineer, Black Bear, Imogene etc. passes are the moderate/difficult passes that are run on the Ouray trip, so just so you know what the image of that moderate/difficult rating is based on. The Triple Bypass only has one slightly technical spot, but with good spotting that's always on that trip it's pretty easy!

Corbet
06-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm in for an easy run. My 80 is stock with OEM tires. I'll try to think of somewhere up hear in Summit County to lead. It would have to be on a Sunday.

Chris
06-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I'm in for an easy run. My 80 is stock with OEM tires. I'll try to think of somewhere up hear in Summit County to lead. It would have to be on a Sunday.

We were up your way (I think) today. Peru Creek area that Martin mentioned to me last weekend during the Argentine cleanup. Thanks, Martin!

Subzali, yeah I kind of contradict myself with the Ouray trails but those are really moderate, nothing hard about them unless you don't pay attention.

I will likely join in The Triple Bypass run but that's farther away than I plan anything. :thumb:

Corbet
06-17-2007, 09:18 PM
Peru Creek is a fun easy run. Great hiking from the road too. Did you make it all the way to the top or was there still snow?

Webster Pass would be another good easy run.

Chris
06-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Typical for this time of the year we made it past the gate, past the Y, then were stopped by the snow. Webster is closed to protect it during the melt. Not a great trail day but it was nice to see the area. We liked the Pennsylvania (I think that's its name) Mine.

Never put it in 4WD ;)

Corbet
06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
we were up on shrine pass yesterday. Only went to the parking lot as we were there to hike. Still snow on the road in spots there too.

MDH33
06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Glad you checked it out Chris. Kim and I spent all day exploring the Pennsylvania Mine ruins up Peru Creek last year, very cool area. Good camping and hiking and easy roads with great scenery and history.

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99283025-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99289648-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99291122-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99292578-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99295565-L-1.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99296098-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99298227-L-1.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99299647-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99299762-M.jpg

http://mdhuber.smugmug.com/photos/99287098-L-1.jpg

farnhamstj
06-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Would there be any issues in my hooking up with RS for some of the runs even though I am not a member?

Everyone is welcome!!! I recomend you have a CB. But sure come along any time.

I run easy to moderate trails on a regular basis. I usually do them with a few friends rather than club members as I live a little further away from Denver than most club members. I'm always interested in checking out places I haven't been before. Also anyone intersted in anything near Vail, let me know I'm happy to show you around my neck of the woods. PM me if ever you're headed near Vail.

Hulk
06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
FYI, the Blow Off Work And Go Wheelin' run is always an easy, relaxed afternoon, followed by pizza. It's neither hard core nor overnight.

DevinSixtySeven
06-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Until I go back in to "build" mode, I'm up for moderate runs...the sort of thing where I'm not plowing an ARB bumper through the rocks. I'd be up for any of the above trails :thumb:.

Generally Katie and I are looking for adventure, scenery, and remote wilderness access...not so much driving to see if I can get the truck through (much).

I still need to come to a meeting and a few trail runs anyway...

-Sean

Bighead
06-19-2007, 11:53 AM
Everyone is welcome!!! I recomend you have a CB. But sure come along any time.
Good to go on the CB.:thumb: I just enjoy the easy to moderate trails sometimes..not being worried about negotiating a hairy obstacle, but enjoying the view. I just need to fix some of the damage I sustained on Pritchett Canyon over Memorial Day weekend and I will be ready to rock.

I have only lived in CO for ~1.5 yrs and work has kept me pretty busy since I retired from the AF. Now I am starting to have the time to get more seat time, explore the local trails and meet some folks to show them to me.

corsair23
06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Lance,

Would be nice to get to meet you!! Oh, and we're still waiting to see pics of the '99 Cruiser :hill:

Bighead
06-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Lance,

Would be nice to get to meet you!! Oh, and we're still waiting to see pics of the '99 Cruiser :hill:
When I saw your name as the last poster I thought this would come up. :banghead: Let me pretty it up more and I will post some pics of the LC and my 4Runner. I'd also like to hit a club meeting if the timing for one works with my teaching schedule.

corsair23
06-19-2007, 05:44 PM
When I saw your name as the last poster I thought this would come up. :banghead: Let me pretty it up more and I will post some pics of the LC and my 4Runner. I'd also like to hit a club meeting if the timing for one works with my teaching schedule.

:lmao: And you probably thought I forgot :D

I can't talk...I've modded the snot out of the LX from what it was when I bought it and I don't think I posted up but a couple pics of my victory of the ARB and winch episode :hill:. I kind of had to hide out for awhile after showing off to everyone how I can overthink something as simple as putting an ARB and winch on the front of an Cruiser :eek: