PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest Darn Thing

Rzeppa
06-18-2007, 08:54 PM
After the Spring Creek Run (http://risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4051) yesterday, I parked Charlotte and posted up the trip report. This morning, I noticed a puddle of 90wt under the rear diff. "Rutt Roh" says I to myself, so I took Rita to work and then took a look this evening. It was coming from the drain plug area. Got underneath to have a look, thoughts of cracked punkin housing dancing in my head.

Sure I scraped on a few rocks, but steel is steel and I didn't hit anything too hard, right? Nothing but a few new scrapes stood out, and nothing out of the ordinary from a day of wheeling. Even the ring around the plug wasn't smashed or anything, but the leak was definitely coming from the plug area. Just out of curiosity, I got out the 24mm and checked the plug...loose! Took a good 1/2 turn to tighten 'er up!

After wiping it down a bit I saw the tell-tale scar where an encounter of the granite kind had somehow engaged the plug just so as to loosen it.

So weird! But so relieved I didn't have to weld on the underside of the housing, just a quick, painless and free tighten up.

Uncle Ben
06-18-2007, 10:18 PM
On my 40 I tack welded the drain plugs as that is a common LC issue. Pull the bottom stud on the pumkin and replace with a bolt for a new drain. The new drain will actually drain out more lube when needed! Your lucky you caught it! I lost the front drain plug on 7 mile once! That was fun when I realized it was gone (days later) and muddy water had entered a couple times! If it had been the rear it would have ground out the diff on the drive home!

Rezarf
06-18-2007, 10:41 PM
On my 40 I tack welded the drain plugs as that is a common LC issue. Pull the bottom stud on the pumkin and replace with a bolt for a new drain. The new drain will actually drain out more lube when needed! Your lucky you caught it! I lost the front drain plug on 7 mile once! That was fun when I realized it was gone (days later) and muddy water had entered a couple times! If it had been the rear it would have ground out the diff on the drive home!

Cool tip UB :thumb:

nuclearlemon
06-18-2007, 10:50 PM
seen it happen a few times. always been lucky enough that someone caught it and saved either myself or a friend.

Spiderlegs
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Happened to me two years in a row at Moab