PDA

View Full Version : FJ45 a scam??

timmbuck2
06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
nope...nothing...sorry guys.

The ad now says "sale pending"

OK....is it just me or does this smell fishy?? A few months ago we had a similar ad on CL...a 76 or something that had been used as a plow truck, but no rust, , CHEAP!, in Lyons, and again, no pictures. In that case, I ended up emailing with they guy, remember the old geezer who sold the truck to the "nice young feller with the barn full of Land Cruisers"? He then emailed me and said he was also going to sell his 78 '40, again no rust, again no pictures. Said he needed $1600 for it. I said I'll be there in an hour with $2k. 2 days and 0 emails later he put the ad up on CL, and I never heard from him again. Yesterday I had to have been the first to email this guy...less than 5 minutes after the ad posted. Again no pics...and c'mon, a price that is WAY too good to be true. If we saw an ad for a 1997 80 with lockers for $3500 we would all say SCAM right away. Why would someone do something like this? I really don't know...stupid joke? Razor getting "back" at everyone? Someone gathering email addresses of LC enthusiasts to sell? No idea. But something just does not sound right about this. Is it just my pessimistic attitude? :confused:

T

DaveInDenver
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
I wonder if he's trying to get someone out of town to bite? They'd wire him money and he'd never deliver a truck.

timmbuck2
06-21-2007, 10:49 AM
I wonder if he's trying to get someone out of town to bite? They'd wire him money and he'd never deliver a truck.

good idea!

and why haven't we seen or heard of these 45's?? before OR after the sale? if a flipper bought them, why haven't we seen them on eBay?
if there really was a "young feller with a barn full of cruisers", why hasn't one of us ran into him SOMEWHERE???

Just seems too good to be true...

:cool:

MDH33
06-21-2007, 10:55 AM
I didn't tell him in my email that I was local, and I did not get a reply. He probably got 100 emails on that ad the first day, so maybe he really did give it to the first interested person with cash. bummer. Seems like if it was a scam, we would all have heard back from him.

The 45 search continues.:)

treerootCO
06-21-2007, 11:09 AM
I emailed him and never heard back. Based on the information in the ad he knows what he has. Maybe we have located John Napier again....

He used to post an ad for a 45 pickup in the Rocky Mountain News. You call the number and he says, I am sorry I don't have that one any more but I can build you one. Both Romer and myself got burned by him.

I started this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=161063) when I lost out to this rig on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200112810821&rd=1,1)

8,666.66 yes I have a problem...

I told myself that as soon as I locate a swb45 I am not going to buy another Cruiser. I will sell off all the wagons as soon as I have a complete one restored.

PatrolMan
06-21-2007, 01:34 PM
I have sold some stuff on CL and I get spam replies. They are just fishing around for email addresses to send Spam to. Usually the response to my ad is "Is this item still available?". I tend to delete them. Otherwise I begin getting spam. Could be someone just looking to collect valid email addresses for spam. Much better to have a list of genuine addresses than taking shots in the dark. That is why I keep a "spam" account with all fake info just for CL stuff. Spam away!

nuclearlemon
06-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I am not going to buy another Cruiser.

I call b.s. :D

timmbuck2
06-21-2007, 01:47 PM
I call b.s. :D

Yeah, now THAT is a scam! :)

T:p:

corsair23
06-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I started this thread (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=161063) when I lost out to this rig on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200112810821&rd=1,1)

You may know this already but if the winning bidder is who I think it is you can expect to see this rig for sale in the near future as a "restored" vehicle.

I don't know who screamindemon1971 is but if I am thinking of the right ebay ID it is a guy over in the Grand Junction area that restores Cruisers. I've seen several of them on ebay for sale over the last couple of years...

treerootCO
06-21-2007, 05:01 PM
I've met the high bidder and made sure to give him his fair ration of s... for buying my 45 :D

He does restore Cruisers. The last one was a white 40....usually says clifton instead of Grand Junction.

corsair23
06-21-2007, 05:27 PM
I've met the high bidder and made sure to give him his fair ration of s... for buying my 45 :D

He does restore Cruisers. The last one was a white 40....usually says clifton instead of Grand Junction.

Yep...you're right! Clifton is the town...Couldn't remember exactly just knew about where it was :D. So, you gonna let him restore it for you and then buy it? :hill:

treerootCO
06-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Yep...you're right! Clifton is the town...Couldn't remember exactly just knew about where it was :D. So, you gonna let him restore it for you and then buy it? :hill:

He paid $10,000 for it!:eek: I can't even imagine what the restored price would be.

PatrolMan
06-21-2007, 09:48 PM
A couple years ago there was a 45 near Salida along a country road. There is a road that goes from Salida to 285 that is a country road. It was sitting out along a dirt driveway with a sign in it. Had no engine/tranny/t-case. Sprung-over. Body was relatively complete as I recall but the tailgate was trashed. This is all off the top of my head. Not much traffic out there so could still be floating around if anyone is in the area.

nuclearlemon
06-21-2007, 11:03 PM
A couple years ago there was a 45 near Salida along a country road. There is a road that goes from Salida to 285 that is a country road. It was sitting out along a dirt driveway with a sign in it. Had no engine/tranny/t-case. Sprung-over. Body was relatively complete as I recall but the tailgate was trashed. This is all off the top of my head. Not much traffic out there so could still be floating around if anyone is in the area.

frame was bent on it. looked at it about 8 or 10 years ago.

PatrolMan
06-22-2007, 09:27 AM
Gotcha. Didn't look at it too much. Too-be-wife at the time wasn't impressed...