PDA

View Full Version : Offroad maps and books

Bernard
06-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi !
I’am a french BJ45 owner and i’ll visit Rocky Mountains National Parks in August with my wife and my son who met you in the’05 Snow Ride. You were very nice to help me to rent a 4WD in Denver, but infortunately, it’s not a Land Cruiser...but an american standard SUV.
I intend to make a big loop of three weeks from Denver to Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas and Denver.
I have a long experience in the Sahara desert and hot weather. So, what offroad maps or books do you advise for Arches, Canyonlands and Monument Valley ? I know an Adler publishing book : Trails series-Utah trails-Moab edition. Is it a good choice?
Do you know a better one ?
How much gasoline reserve I need ? ( I expect to go to The Maze in the West of Canyonlands)
Can you locate for me the best spots of your amazing pictures around Moab ?
How much gasoline reserve I need ?
We’ll stand around Denver July 29, 30, 31 and August 22, 23. If possible we’ll be happy to meet you.
Thanks

Bernard Gaillard, member of TLC sťrie4 France
www.serie4.fr

Picture below. Our first French national TLC #4 meeting in May with 56 vehicles
http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/1866/vuedegroupe2sm3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Shark Bait
06-22-2007, 02:01 PM
That's impressive. :thumb:

Hants
06-23-2007, 03:21 PM
If you haven't already, consider posting your questions here:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

As far as offroad trail descriptions, the guides by Charles Wells pretty good and give the same perspective across many states.

The DeLorme Atlas & Gazetter for each state/area is highly recommended. They cover a lot of back-country roads that "normal" maps don't.

For details of each area, contact the National Parks Service or Bureau of Land Management (BLM). They'll have maps of each area and details as to which trails are open.

TrailDamage.com has trail information that is many times not covered in published books:

http://www.traildamage.com/trails/

If you make it down to the Colorado Springs/Monument area, be sure to let me know. It would be our pleasure to show you some Colorado hospitality. :)

Bernard
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for these excellent informations. Especially the very well done website traildamage.com

Bernard
BJ45 turbocharged, 5 speeds, IronMan, 250 l tanks, rising top, etc...

wesintl
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
If you want to borrow anything jerry cans or such you are welcome to stop by and borrow them. I would think if you filled up before heading out you'd be ok on close by trails if you wanted to spend 3 days in the swell driving dirt roads you would need one.

The national geographic maps. Moab north and south are really good. I have san raphael swell too and south of moab. beef basin etc. my next one will be of the maze. The Massey wells books are good, so are the charles wells and maybe a delorme of utah. Looks like Hants covered that. I won't be going back to moab til at least oct so you're welcome again to borrow my books/map if you want. Esp to a fellow bj owner and Frenchman!

bh4rnnr
06-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a fun trip. For maps, National Geographic makes some excellent backcountry maps. The new ones are very detailed. These may work for the for the parks, if I remember correctly, there are specific maps for the NP's. There are also a few guid books, depending on what your wanting to do. Kelsey has a lot of good guid books for hiking and climbing. Theres a realy good one for the San Rafael Swell. As mentioned, the Wells and Massey books are really good. I like Massey as there is a lot of trails mentioned, but most are doable in a stock vehicle.
For areas like the San Raphael Swell, there is also whats called a travel managment map put out by the BLM. Pass Patrol also has a few guid books for Moab, San Raphael Swell and surrounding regions. You may be able to find there books(along with others mentioned) through Amazon.com or Outbackusa.com.

For the Salt Lake Portion, i'd try and get in touch with the Wasatch Cruisers. Good folks, think theres a few on this board now and then.

If you find you have some free time while in Denver, check out MapsCo, they are a good source for maps.

Thinks thats all I have for now, hope you have a enjoyable trip:cheers:

corsair23
06-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Hi !
Iíam a french BJ45 owner and iíll visit Rocky Mountains National Parks in August with my wife and my son who met you in theí05 Snow Ride. You were very nice to help me to rent a 4WD in Denver, but infortunately, itís not a Land Cruiser...but an american standard SUV.

How much gasoline reserve I need ?

Looks like folks have the maps covered...

As for the gas you'll need...What vehicle are you renting if you know. You may not need much in the way of reserves unless you are going way off the beaten path so to speak and depending upon what you are renting you may not be able to go too far off the path :(

DevinSixtySeven
06-26-2007, 11:11 AM
The forum at

www.expeditionportal.com

has a bunch of trip reports with pictures from trips to the Maze district, including mileage and reserves for different destinations and entry points. I have a few shots of some of the trail to the Dollhouse and Panorama Point in my photo gallery on tundrasolutions.com, if you're concerned about the condition of the trail for your rig, particularly if it is a rental. Google Earth is also a great resource since all the roads are shown.

x2 for the National Geographic maps, they are excellent. There are two maps covering the Maze, one is the actual National Geographic park map, the other is the Lake Powell/Glen Canyon area, to the South of the Maze district. The second map shows the continuation of Robber's Roost Road down to the pavement near Hite Marina.

Once you're over here and can make an easy telephone call, the rangers at Hans Flat (gateway to the Maze) are very friendly and helpful with trip planning and time estimates for exploring the backcountry.

Hope that helps, sounds like it'll be a great trip!

-Sean