PDA

View Full Version : Need a CB

timmbuck2
06-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Now that I actually wheel with other people, I guess I need to stay in touch. :rolleyes: Any advice?

T

Shark Bait
06-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I have a Cobra Classic CB and a Wilson mag mount antenna. Don't skimp on the antenna.

Depending on where you live, I like:

Camelot Communications LTD

(303) 289-3133
7590 Hwy 2
Commerce City

Seldom Seen
06-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Since I went the Ham route CB isn't that important to me any more. It's still a necessity but it serves a secondary role. I'm now left with a x-tra radio and several antennas that I'm willing to part with CHEAP. Save your $$ for a decent ham set up and buy my stuff to use in the mean time. PM me if interested.

nakman
06-24-2007, 06:33 PM
Now that I actually wheel with other people, I guess I need to stay in touch. :rolleyes: Any advice?

T

Listen to Mr. Seldom. Go for 2 meter, go ham. quit using dial-up.. :cool:

Convert
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM

CB = Sucks !!

Evrgrnmtnman
06-24-2007, 09:49 PM

Why not just go with a satellite cell phone!

Seldom Seen
06-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Why not just go with a satellite cell phone!

'Cuz I can talk to Australia, Europe, Antarctica, hell, even the International Space Station *with out service fees*. Plunk down a few more $$ than a decent CB set up will cost (and a lot less than a sat phone will set you back) and the world is at your finger tips.

Oh and BTW you can work relay satellites with a ham radio just like a sat phone but a whole lot cheaper (as in FREE).

Shark Bait
06-24-2007, 11:43 PM
I've got the 2M also, but at events like Cruise Moab a lot of people won't have it yet, so I will run both.

Jacket
06-25-2007, 11:49 AM
I found my Cobra 18 on craigslist for pretty cheap. Works well enough for me, although I plan on upgrading the antenna asap.

corsair23
06-25-2007, 12:59 PM

T

Timm,

The cool radios aside I went with the Uniden 520XL. Got it off newegg.com of all places. Was the cheapest I could find ($45 IIRC), no tax, and free shipping at the time. :thumb:

I put the Uniden in the ashtray following the tech installation article (minus the rework on the antenna connector) on Slee's site which was pretty straight forward.

For the antenna I went with the Firestik (you may recall the humorous response from them :D) NGP (no ground plane) antenna. It comes as a kit (antenna, spring holder, antenna, etc) and was an easy install. The one negative is the 18' NGP antenna that comes with the Firestik isn't quite long enough to reach from the rear of the 80 to the CB (if you mount your antenna there). I bought a 6' Radio Shack extension and my SWR readings are way high. Firestik recommends extension lengths in multiples of 9' (9', 18', 27', etc) so someday I'll swap out the 6' with a 9' Firestik extension.

wesintl
06-25-2007, 01:05 PM
my .02 is when I get around to my 2 meter license I'll run that were the cb sits.

Then i'll buy a hand held cb for trail runs where I need it.

DaveInDenver
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I bought a 6' Radio Shack extension and my SWR readings are way high. Firestik recommends extension lengths in multiples of 9' (9', 18', 27', etc) so someday I'll swap out the 6' with a 9' Firestik extension.
FWIW, the length of the coax makes no difference. Your high SWR readings are probably because of the connectors between all the parts. I don't know why Firestik says that. If you are adjusting the whip with a SWR meter, use whatever length coax works best. With a single whip that's adjustable, there is no magical length of coax. As long as the whip is tuned, the coax itself is just transferring the energy. Your issue is there is an impedance discontinuity, a spot where the feedline has an electrical blip, which is 95% of the time because of a connector issue. It's also possible that one of the coax cables is not 50 ohms. It's possible coming from Radio Shack that you have something like a cable TV extension, which is 75 ohms.

timmbuck2
06-25-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for all the input.

I think since I will rarely be using the CB, just to keep in touch on trail rides and in an emergency, I will kepe my eyes open for a hand-held unit, something small and portable.

Thanks again.

T

Groucho
06-25-2007, 06:17 PM

T

Yeah, don't polish a turd.

Get the $45 Midland CB from Radio Shack that fits where your ashtray goes in the LX. Then spring for the $90 Wilson w-1000 mag mount so you can take it off when you go downtown to eat dinner and don't want to scrape on the parking garage(unless you really don't care about doing the roof mount model, which btw is $20 cheaper, but you drill a hole in your roof). This is the only cheap way to get a good signal out of your radio. Sure, the $17-$35 antennas that mount on your gutter may be cheaper, but if you want hassle free "stay in touch"-ability, this is the best way to go.

You won't save any money buying a handheld, they start at $100 from Radio Shack, and their coverage is far worse.

Hulk
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio. You'll get much better results than buying for price, such as from newegg mentioned above.

This matters less to me now that I have the 2 meter Ham radio installed, of course. :D

Evrgrnmtnman
06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
How much are these Ham Radio's anyway? Do you need a license to have one?

Hulk
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
License: yes. Cost = $14 for the test.
You can take practice tests here:
http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl
Find a local test here:
http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/examsearch.phtml?State=CO

You'll want this book (Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Arrl-Ham-Radio-License-Manual/dp/0872599639/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9649663-4248735?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182830160&sr=8-1)):
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/e3/ae/6a60793509a00a065c0f1110.L.jpg

Cost: I bought the Yaseu 7800 (http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&encProdID=3C10CFA04DF2657239AEACCA0D33FF2E&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0) dual band transceiver for my 80. Cost was about $250. You'll also need to spend money on a good antenna. Ham Radio Outlet (http://www.hamradio.com/) has a Denver location, so you can check out the radios in person.