PDA

View Full Version : ARB 10K winch and ARB Bullbar for 80

Three Wheel Ben
11-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Saw this and didn't know if anyone on here might be interested.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=33 :D

Bar seems like a good deal.

ben

nakman
11-07-2005, 09:03 PM
$425 for an ARB is a sweet deal, if it's in good shape. Hey Hulk, you seeing this? attack!!

edit: even better, if you respond to his Craigslist ad you can have the bumper for $400. http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/109483523.html

Hulk
11-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Don't have the cash, but thanks for thinking of me!

Matt

Romer
11-07-2005, 10:20 PM
What about Chris. He needs one for that new 80 of his!

FJBen
11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
I sent him a PM...we'll see if I can pick this up...not sure what the wife will think...but thats an excellent price.

wesintl
11-08-2005, 10:33 AM
not sure what the wife will think...

As Ken would say.. just show her the pics of rachels accident in the lexus :D

FJBen
11-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Got the wifes...."ok" lol...so need to talk with him again..

she said..."is that one of those Cattle Gaurd looking ones??"

Me: "no, it's like almost factory...only stronger" :D

Uncle Ben
11-09-2005, 08:52 AM
Don't have the cash, but thanks for thinking of me!

Matt

Matt,
If I gave ya back the money for the tires could you do the bumper then?

Hulk
11-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Dude, you are a good friend to make such an offer!

Our financial situation isn't dire -- we're not going to declare bankruptcy and sell everything we own. However, my wife just went back to work, and I need to "tread lightly" when it comes to spending money on stuff for 4WD vehicles, otherwise I risk the big "I didn't go back to work so you could spend money on cars!"

I do plan to build the 80 -- I'm already thinking about sliders and lifts. But best practices when dealing with my family means that it will probably be the middle of next year before I start modifying in a big way. Although I do want to go visit Oleg (and the upside is that my wife really likes Oleg).

Uncle Ben
11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Dude, you are a good friend to make such an offer!

Our financial situation isn't dire -- we're not going to declare bankruptcy and sell everything we own. However, my wife just went back to work, and I need to "tread lightly" when it comes to spending money on stuff for 4WD vehicles, otherwise I risk the big "I didn't go back to work so you could spend money on cars!"

I do plan to build the 80 -- I'm already thinking about sliders and lifts. But best practices when dealing with my family means that it will probably be the middle of next year before I start modifying in a big way. Although I do want to go visit Oleg (and the upside is that my wife really likes Oleg).

Sorry Matt,
I know the situation and shouldn't dangle candy in front of your nose. That said I decided to keep the set of 850 front springs (w/shocks) as I have no doubt they will needed by a friend one day when the Mall Cruiser wants to tackle the bigger speed bumps. Just to good of a deal to let go to someone outside the club! :o

FJBen
11-10-2005, 09:38 AM
I actually picked this up, will prolly get it this weekend...hope I didn't step on anyones toes!

and springs huh? ya know...I may be needing some of them soon too! ;)

Shark Bait
11-10-2005, 11:32 AM
Cool, man. Good for you. I would have loved it but I'm strictly in Mall Cruiser mode UFN. :o

Uncle Ben
11-10-2005, 03:49 PM
I actually picked this up, will prolly get it this weekend...hope I didn't step on anyones toes!

and springs huh? ya know...I may be needing some of them soon too! ;)

I missed something....when did you go the "mall Cruiser" route? :confused:

wesintl
11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Nice score Ben!

FJBen
11-11-2005, 08:49 AM
I missed something....when did you go the "mall Cruiser" route? :confused:

Lol...the wife drives a Mall Cruiser...after almost 4 years I was sick at looking at it stock... :D The suspension is getting tired...we need new tires prolly by next summer and who DOESN"T need an ARB for those tight mall parking lots???

It seems like a pretty good deal over the 650 or 700 they retail for new. I didn't pickup the winch...couldn't quite swing that. :(

CardinalFJ60
11-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Turns out the guy works like a block from me....just put the M10k in the Cruiser!!

:D

nakman
11-11-2005, 12:32 PM
No way! Is that the kid down the street with the big Tacos?

At any rate, sweet!! Let's go test that sucker out!

CardinalFJ60
11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Wah-hoo! It's in really decent shape, too!

Nope...not those kids on the block, but I'm thinking it was meant to be. When I called the guy and told him where I worked, he said, "Great, I work less than a block away, ya' wanna come over and look at it?" I love it when a plan comes together.

And, as for testing...I'll have to ask for some help getting that 125lb. sucker in the bumper first...Any takers?

-S

Uncle Ben
11-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Nope...not those kids on the block, but I'm thinking it was meant to be. When I called the guy and told him where I worked, he said, "Great, I work less than a block away, ya' wanna come over and look at it?" I love it when a plan comes together.

And, as for testing...I'll have to ask for some help getting that 125lb. sucker in the bumper first...Any takers?

-S

Remove the cable and drop 45lbs! Then instead of winding 45lbs back on go synthetic and lose 39lbs completely!

FJBen
11-11-2005, 01:53 PM

-S

Nice...did ya happen to see the ARB bumper? Hopefully it was in pretty good shape.

Uncle Ben
11-11-2005, 02:13 PM
Lol...the wife drives a Mall Cruiser...after almost 4 years I was sick at looking at it stock... :D The suspension is getting tired...we need new tires prolly by next summer and who DOESN"T need an ARB for those tight mall parking lots???

It seems like a pretty good deal over the 650 or 700 they retail for new. I didn't pickup the winch...couldn't quite swing that. :(

Cool! Next you'll need sliders for protection from runaway shopping carts! ;)

wesintl
11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
I love it.. He thought the winch was too big for a TJ :D hehehe

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=48600

CardinalFJ60
11-11-2005, 03:34 PM
He just had the winch in the back of his....eh-hem...Expedition. From my experience, his description of the winch was exactly what I see. So, I'm thinking whatever he told you about it will be "right on".

On a related note, I literally work one block from him - I'm happy to pick up the bumper if you're near the Boulder area. I live in L'ville and, well, I'm in LoDo everyday. Just a thought if it's tough for you get it.

CardinalFJ60
11-11-2005, 03:37 PM
Uncle Ben,

Great advice on the synthetic line...what's the recommended brand?, length?, size (diameter or something like that?). I've heard synthetic can be reeeaallly pricey - s'that true?

I've done some searches on "mud", but wondering your take is on it.

nakman
11-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, yeah, tell us Uncy Ben! then put together a group buy.. :D

Cardinal, you want to pop that thing on tomorrow? Give me a call if so.

edit: Actually, maybe someone can answer this: the one benefit I've noticed with having traditional winch cable is that I'm not so adverse to dragging it across rocks, or through trees, etc. Sure it's got a few broken wires poking out but I haven't cared much, thinking I'll upgrade to synthetic some day, and of course always wear gloves.

Is Synthetic line more or less durable? Just about every time I've needed the winch, it inolved going up & over some small hill or rock, or through some trees, etc.. so with synthetic would I then have to go spread a bunch of blankets around to protect my pretty little cable? :confused:

Uncle Ben
11-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Amsteel blue is one of the cheapest and one of the better lines to use. Rockstomper.com is a great local source and he makes/stocks all sizes and lengths. Tim is correct as there are two hazards to be carefull of with synthetic line. Frey and UV burn. Both are handled by the same solution.....a 10' black sleeve that is supplied on the cable. The sleeve slides easy and can be put wherever the cable might get damaged on objects then you just slide it to the hook end when you reel it up to help keep the sun off the line when it's stored. On my hunting trip, those that watched the fallen tree removal were in awe! The lightness of the line makes it incredibly easy to manuver and rig. I know everyone there expected it to snap when the winch was still reeling in but the trees were not moving. The tree saver and the sling were stretching but the line did not. When the straps reached their stretch point the heavy Cruiser started sliding all four tires up hill until a rock or something gave enough traction to hold, then the major mass of fallen trees did what we hoped and swung uphill and off the trail. If the line does fail I have heard many times that it will just fall as it stores no energy! Gloves should be used to prevent rope burn but jersey gloves would be fine for that. I pulled many feet out of the winch and simply hooked the hook on my belt loop as I climbed up the fallen logs to get stuff rigged up....try that with steel cable! 6#'s for 150' of 5/16" Synthetic vrs 45#'s for 125' of 3/8's steel is worth it all in my opinion (synthetic has a higher breaking strength)! :p

nakman
11-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip! Here (http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm) is the link. Is 5/16" thick enough? Or 3/8"? (13,700 vs. 20,400 rating). Winch says she'll pull 12,000, add a snatch block and it's X2...

Uncle Ben
11-11-2005, 10:10 PM
Cool, thanks for the tip! Here (http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/recovery/ropes.htm) is the link. Is 5/16" thick enough? Or 3/8"? (13,700 vs. 20,400 rating). Winch says she'll pull 12,000, add a snatch block and it's X2...

6k loaded and armored Cruiser......12k winch. :)

FJBen
11-12-2005, 12:56 PM
He just had the winch in the back of his....eh-hem...Expedition. From my experience, his description of the winch was exactly what I see. So, I'm thinking whatever he told you about it will be "right on".

On a related note, I literally work one block from him - I'm happy to pick up the bumper if you're near the Boulder area. I live in L'ville and, well, I'm in LoDo everyday. Just a thought if it's tough for you get it.

Cool I think I'll take ya up on that one! I'm in greeley but would rather not have to drive to denver...lol...I'll PM ya my number.

thanks very cool

FJBen
11-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Startin' to look less "mall-ish" well..maybe...still needs the lift and tires...