PDA

View Full Version : co -worker with a 96 Tacoma

Ron Helmuth
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
No longer engages into 4 wheel drive-Runs and drives fine in 2wd.

Was offroading about a week back and heard an extra thunk while traversing the last whooptie do.

Any theories as to the trouble or where to start to look? Front u-joints on this vehicle?

Trying to talk him into bringing it to Irbis/Oleg's but I think he wants to self-diagnose first.

Any help appreciated mini truck guys

Red_Chili
06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
No longer engages into 4 wheel drive-Runs and drives fine in 2wd.

Was offroading about a week back and heard an extra thunk while traversing the last whooptie do.
Hmmm. No idea. Never heard of such a thing <cough Uncle Ben>...

:lmao:
Take a look at the CVs, and the ring gear in the front. Is this with locking hubs, or no?

Ron Helmuth
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
thanks Bill/Red Chilli

This Tacoma has the non-locking hubs-by that I mean it is all controlled inside the cabin with the lever-no lock at the outside of the hub at the front wheels -so in that case the ring gear would be inside the front differential ?

SteveH
06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
There should be a central-axle disconnect deal on this truck that locks the front axle shafts to each other when you pull the lever. This is the first place I'd look. Time to get the FSM and read the diagnostic section - and the FSM is out there on the Web somewhere. Try here: http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/

nakman
06-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Is he pushing a button to engage 4wd? Or pulling a lever? Can't remember what a 96 is.. the newer ones use a solenoid for high range, then you pull the lever for low range. Just wondering out loud if there's a solenoid issue...

gcmandrake
07-02-2007, 08:36 AM
The '96 & later Taco is a push button. I seem to remember that it was vacuum actuated. Though I could be remembering incorrectly.

the Other Matt