PDA

View Full Version : removing spider block in arb

nuclearlemon
06-30-2007, 06:52 PM
when the diffs for the raffle rig got built, they installed the thrust block and spider block. problem is, i have to get them out to measure for c clips and to install clips.

how do you get the spider block off the short cross shaft?

Crash
06-30-2007, 10:15 PM
when the diffs for the raffle rig got built, they installed the thrust block and spider block. problem is, i have to get them out to measure for c clips and to install clips.

how do you get the spider block off the short cross shaft?

Doesn't Joe know? Well, uhh, Robbie's in town. I hope that isn't a secret. :(

nuclearlemon
07-01-2007, 10:14 AM
no way to reach joe over the weekend and this needs to go together today since i'll be gone next weekend and the friday after it goes to the 4wpw expo.

if it doesn't get together, it doesn't go, which means even more of a loss of ticket sales. we're really hurting since we didn't get it to easter jeep and they cancelled the ohv expo. :(

Uncle Ben
07-01-2007, 01:02 PM
I am confused trying to decipher what you are asking. Are you saying both carriers are full floating versions? If memory serves me right you can remove the support block by removing the long drive pin and one of the short ones. All three pins have a lock bolt in the end. I can't come by today but I should be able to be reached via cell phone most of the day....

Shark Bait
07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
IIRC, the front is supposed to be an RD-33 and the rear an RD-124.

nuclearlemon
07-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I am confused trying to decipher what you are asking. Are you saying both carriers are full floating versions? If memory serves me right you can remove the support block by removing the long drive pin and one of the short ones. All three pins have a lock bolt in the end. I can't come by today but I should be able to be reached via cell phone most of the day....

short shaft does not have the lock pin. does is press in from the inside? the directions that came with the locker really dont' say squat.

Uncle Ben
07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
short shaft does not have the lock pin. does is press in from the inside? the directions that came with the locker really dont' say squat.

I believe it does and a quick Internet search seems to agree....

Shark Bait
07-04-2007, 10:57 AM
Ige, try emailing Chris Wood. cwood@arbusa.com :o

treerootCO
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I know Ige is aware of this thread, just cross posting for future reference.

Leave it alone for a bit and I'll give it a try when I get there

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=164295

nuclearlemon
07-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Ige, try emailing Chris Wood. cwood@arbusa.com :o

why? is he going to come install it? or to tell him that if i was broken down in the outback and waiting on his technical dept for help, i'd be dead?

nuclearlemon
07-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Leave it alone for a bit and I'll give it a try when I get there

]

no, you won't. you are injured.

Shark Bait
07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I know you've been trying real hard to get this done, Ige. Maybe we should call Joe or Christo or Robbie and have one of them do it. :)

treerootCO
07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
the block is out. Called poser and with 4:88 gears the housing needs to be modified. The arb was not installed with the ability to field repair. 3/8 needs to be removed from the carrier.

nuclearlemon
07-04-2007, 05:05 PM
not just field repair. you cannot install the cclips unless the housing is modified first.

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
THANK YOU WES! Good call! :thumb:

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 12:16 PM
I called ARB today to talk to Lisa and Chris Wood answered. I mentioned our problem to him. He said that some small amount needed to be ground off the ring gear, not the housing. You might want to call him. 425-264-1391

Also, he suggested I leave a message with Lisa about the bumper, which I did. :D

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
We, Rising Sun 4WD Club, need a volunteer to drop by Ige's house tonight or tomorrow and R&R the freshly installed locked diff out of the rear and reinstall the stock carrier for now. I will be happy to take care of the rear diff and get it reinstalled soon but I cannot pull enough time right now to R&R it this weekend. The rear is currently on jackstands with no axles installed so it is an easy unbolt and swap carriers then install axles, c-clips replace rear cover and add some gear lube so the vehicle is mobile again. Please don't ignore this request and think "someone else" will do it as those "someone else's" are burning out! YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!

timmbuck2
07-05-2007, 01:24 PM
OK, I can volunteer to be a warm body or wrench monkey...but seeing as how I don't understand (more than) half of what you just said, I need someone to order me around. (And my wife is too busy at the moment.) Let me know if this newb can help in any way.

T

We, Rising Sun 4WD Club, need a volunteer to drop by Ige's house tonight or tomorrow and R&R the freshly installed locked diff out of the rear and reinstall the stock carrier for now. I will be happy to take care of the rear diff and get it reinstalled soon but I cannot pull enough time right now to R&R it this weekend. The rear is currently on jackstands with no axles installed so it is an easy unbolt and swap carriers then install axles, c-clips replace rear cover and add some gear lube so the vehicle is mobile again. Please don't ignore this request and think "someone else" will do it as those "someone else's" are burning out! YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!

nuclearlemon
07-05-2007, 05:45 PM
OK, I can volunteer to be a warm body or wrench monkey...but seeing as how I don't understand (more than) half of what you just said, I need someone to order me around. (And my wife is too busy at the moment.) Let me know if this newb can help in any way.

T

i won't be home tomorrow or saturday. so i'm not instructional help. getting the arb out is self explanatory. unbolt the diff and pull.

don't know how soon kevin can get it done. if he can get it done before next weekend, the old diff won't need to go in. if not, than just bolt in new diff, slide axles all the way in, install c clips on ends of axle shafts and push/pull the axles out until they hit on the c clips. insert block in the middle and drop cross shaft through housing. install bolt/pin that holds the cross shaft.

install cover and fill to bottom of fill plug.

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 06:24 PM
And bolt up the drive shaft. :hill: :p:

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 07:43 PM
i won't be home tomorrow or saturday. so i'm not instructional help. getting the arb out is self explanatory. unbolt the diff and pull.

don't know how soon kevin can get it done. if he can get it done before next weekend, the old diff won't need to go in. if not, than just bolt in new diff, slide axles all the way in, install c clips on ends of axle shafts and push/pull the axles out until they hit on the c clips. insert block in the middle and drop cross shaft through housing. install bolt/pin that holds the cross shaft.

install cover and fill to bottom of fill plug.

I will commit to getting it back in by next weekend!

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
TTT as I'm sure a club of our size has more than a couple people to help out!

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 11:45 PM
I will commit to getting it back in by next weekend!

Does it need to get delivered to you? I could probably get over there and pull it tomorrow. I won't bother putting the old one in if you'll have it back in time to install for next weekend's shows. I'm out of town Tuesday through Friday so I can't help putting it back in.

Uncle Ben
07-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Does it need to get delivered to you? I could probably get over there and pull it tomorrow. I won't bother putting the old one in if you'll have it back in time to install for next weekend's shows. I'm out of town Tuesday through Friday so I can't help putting it back in.

I could swing by and grab it from Ige's on my way back through town from C-sprigs tommorrow evening. That would be awesome Chris! I really don't need any help putting it back in although it would be nice as I have a couple other things to do on the RT. I don't have much free time right now either but I did raise my hand and say I would like the club to take this on so .......

Shark Bait
07-06-2007, 08:15 AM
I could swing by and grab it from Ige's on my way back through town from C-sprigs tommorrow evening. That would be awesome Chris! I really don't need any help putting it back in although it would be nice as I have a couple other things to do on the RT. I don't have much free time right now either but I did raise my hand and say I would like the club to take this on so .......

OK. I can go by and pull it this afternoon. Bring tools, I assume? :D Tim, you're welcome to join me.

timmbuck2
07-06-2007, 08:55 AM
OK. I can go by and pull it this afternoon. Bring tools, I assume? :D Tim, you're welcome to join me.

What time??

T

treerootCO
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Call me when you guys are there or heading over. I will swing by and help. I cannot lift, bend, twist and all that but if Kevin needs me to, I will deliver the diff to Kevin if you load it into my truck.

Hulk
07-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Can't help this weekend, but let me know when you're putting it back together, and I will show up.

timmbuck2
07-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Call me when you guys are there or heading over. I will swing by and help. I cannot lift, bend, twist and all that but if Kevin needs me to, I will deliver the diff to Kevin if you load it into my truck.

I can deliver it if needed...

Shark Bait
07-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Gotta get some tools together and then I'm heading over there now. Should be there by noon. My cell is 303-324-8751.

timmbuck2
07-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Gotta get some tools together and then I'm heading over there now. Should be there by noon. My cell is 303-324-8751.

my cell is 303-619-4075...hopefully can leave here by noonish...but need to go change clothes...

T

Shark Bait
07-06-2007, 01:42 PM
OK. The 3rd member is out and on it's way to Kevin via Tim's courier service. :D

timmbuck2
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
heh...and then I picked up parts from Kevin for Treeroot, and borrowed Drew's cherry picker. I really am the Rising Sun parts courier! :)

T

Shark Bait
07-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Uhhhh, I buggered up the paper gasket a little. :o Is there a new one that can be used? :doh:

Uncle Ben
07-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Uhhhh, I buggered up the paper gasket a little. :o Is there a new one that can be used? :doh:

I prolly have one....I'll check

nuclearlemon
07-06-2007, 11:06 PM
i've got a few

Uncle Ben
07-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Well, I hid from the real world for a couple hours this morning and am pleased to report the RT is ready for Ige to haul to it's next venue! The rear diff is together, lubed and sitting on rubber again, drive shaft connected and even the T-case is fully functional now as I installed to elusive missing FWD parts! I did not get a chance to tune it or anything else and will have to make time soon to get that done! A huge thanks to Ige again for her on going time sacrifice for OUR CLUB's commitment!!!!!!! :bowdown: :Princess: There is still several little things to get done so I do hope others will commit a little more time out of their busy scheduals to follow through with OUR commitment! Another HUGE THANK YOU to Sharkbait and TimBuck2 for R&Ring the carrier last weekend for me....couldn't have got it done without you! One blue line and some wires away from true 4WD....were getting close! :thumb: :bowdown: :risingsun :woot: :woot: :beer2: :perry:

treerootCO
07-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Thank you Ige for your efforts so far and thank you Kevin for taking care of the ARB for us. Both of you have gone above and beyond for this project.:cheers:

Hulk
07-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Awesome! Kevin, you da man!!!

Shark Bait
07-12-2007, 02:29 PM
:clap: :bowdown: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Please, no kudos to me! I am just pulling my weight (means I have to do twice as much as everyone else?). :eek: :lmao: Just getrdone! :thumb: