PDA

View Full Version : For Sale: 1985 4Runner

gcmandrake
07-01-2007, 05:29 PM
Do to unforeseen circumstances I need to sell Senior. :bawl: I'm asking $4k, but the price is negotiable. This is an off-road vehicle and with the current suspension, should not be used as a daily driver. Highway and city driving is an adventure and the speed limit should be strictly observed.

Details:

1985 4Runner

22RE engine:
The engine has something over 250k miles, with at least one rebuild with the previous owner (PO). The timing chain was recently changed by Off Road Solutions. All maintenance is current. Compression numbers at last measurement were decent. It does burn some oil. New water pump and radiator. New belts.

Axle:
Solid front axle. Has been rebuilt, repacked, and fluids changed since purchase from the PO.

Suspension:
Advanced Off-Road Research (AOR). Longer Alcan heavy duty leaf springs with Orbit-Eye joints. (These are now supported by Alcan. http://www.alcanspring.com/orbit-eye.htm)

Steering:
OTT Cross-Over Steering (http://www.ottindustries.com/) with a rebuilt IFS steering box from All Pro Off Road.

Armor:
4Crawler RockSliderZ (http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/RockSliderZ.shtml)
Old rusted bumpers fore & aft.

Body:
Some minor scratches and dents. Minor rust. Half inch body lift and new bushings all around.

Transmission:
A-370 automatic transmission. There is a vibration, when coasting, which I believe is coming from a broken thrust washer in the transfer case. In the A-370 the chain driven transfer case is an integral unit. This transmission has only 100k miles on it. I have a replacement A-370 transmission which is supposed to be in good working order with about 100k miles on it. This new transmission also has a transfer case cooler. I also have a W-56 manual transmission (no transfer case), that I acquired from Red Chilli that will be included in the sale.

Rear drive shaft was recently rebuilt and balanced.
Front drive shaft was rebuilt and balanced when the suspension was upgraded.

Tires:
31x10.5 BFG AT/KO with very low mileage. Due to flexible rear suspension, 2" aluminum spacers are on rear tires. (Without them, the tires can, at maximum articulation, fit under frame.) Should eventually be replace with wider tires.

Electronics:
A nice (AM/FM/CD/Aux) stereo which has seen some wear.
Cobra 18WXSTII Weatherband CB Radio (installed under the radio).
A turbo speedometer & tachometer (I have the original).

Spares:
Short and long front axles
ECU and ignitor units.
Rebuild kit for the front knuckles including bearings.
A-370 automatic transmission (see above)
W-56 manual transmission (no transfer case)
Old speedometer.

Notes:
Most of the work on this truck has been done by Off Road Solutions, some early work by The Toy Shop, and myself. The previous owners had a somewhat dubious knowledge of electronics and I have spent quite a bit of time undoing their damage. One of the POs has had the typical rust over the wheel wells fixed and the truck re-painted.

If there is any interest I can post some photos. Either reply to this thread and/or PM me.

the Other Matt

DaveInDenver
07-01-2007, 05:39 PM
This is really disappointing to hear, Matt. For $4K you have a really solid base. If only I had the money...

Hulk
07-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Matt, sorry to hear it. Your truck is mighty nice. If I had the money and the space, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Shark Bait
07-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Drag. So have you got anything to wheel? :)

gcmandrake
07-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Still conflicted about this. Senior is like a wart that you've grown accustomed to. Nothing is final yet, but I have three choices. Sell Senior and modify my 2002 4Runner for wheeling. Sell both and buy an FJ Cruiser. Do nothing (don't I wish) and get some assistance in swapping out my transmission.

the Other Matt

Red_Chili
07-05-2007, 07:42 AM
I wanna say I'll help with the transmission! I do tend to overbook myself though. It's not that hard to do!

I say keep it.

PatrolMan
07-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Swapping the tranny isn't a huge deal... I would say keep it as well. Would buy it if I had the means!

beatdown83fj60
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Keep it, transmissions are easy. Or you can trade it for my 84 4Runner :D

DaveInDenver
07-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Dean and I have done a handful of tranny stabs (most were even right) on various combos of R-motors and L52, G54 or W56. Should be able to successfully get in the way, if you need a hand.

gcmandrake
07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Desperately. As much help as I can get. If we can pick a time where everyone is available, assuming that my garage is big enough, I can provide victuals.

Dean and I have done a handful of tranny stabs (most were even right) on various combos of R-motors and L52, G54 or W56. Should be able to successfully get in the way, if you need a hand.

Shark Bait
07-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Matt, if I am available I'd be happy to help. ;)

PatrolMan
07-08-2007, 05:23 PM
Same here... Weekday nights work best for me.