PDA

View Full Version : CB in Denver?

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Is there a decent place to go in denver for CB accesories? I need a base,antenna, and cable. Or am I better off getting the stuff online.

Nick F.

Shark Bait
07-01-2007, 09:41 PM
My favorite place is:

Camelot Communications LTD
(303) 289-3133
7590 Hwy 2
Commerce City

Wes, maybe we should have a sticky somewhere about CBs. This is the second question like this in the last month or so. :D

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 09:42 PM
also, do magnetic antenna bases suck? or are there good ones?

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
yeah! another CB thread:lmao:

Hulk
07-01-2007, 09:43 PM
I'm a fan of this place:

Radio Service Center
918 South Sheridan Boulevard
Denver, CO 80226
(303) 922-8107

The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance. You buy a new radio from them, then pay an extra fee (like $30) for them to open the radio and tune it up. You'll have better transmission power than a stock, out-of-the-box radio. You'll get much better results than buying online, solely on price.

This matters less to me now that I have the 2 meter Ham radio installed, of course.

Hulk
07-01-2007, 09:44 PM

They work fine. Especially if you stick it on top of your roof.

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
They work fine. Especially if you stick it on top of your roof.

I'm planing on mounting it on the corner of my rear bumper.

Shark Bait
07-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I have a nice Wilson mag mount I purchased at Camelot, which I like a lot. Several of us have gotten in to 2m Ham radio and that community seems to frown on mag mounts, for some reason. The only time my Wilson came off was when a low branch swept it off the roof of my 55. :eek:

Hulk
07-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm planing on mounting it on the corner of my rear bumper.

Too low -- you don't want metal surfaces parallel to your antenna. Did you see where mine is mounted between the hood and front side on my 40? It's away from the windshield, so it works really well. I'll try to post up a picture later this week.

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Too low -- you don't want metal surfaces parallel to your antenna. Did you see where mine is mounted between the hood and front side on my 40? It's away from the windshield, so it works really well. I'll try to post up a picture later this week.

Top corner of my brush guard a better spot?

nuclearlemon
07-01-2007, 09:57 PM
The nice thing about buying a CB radio from a place like this is that they can tune your radio for maximum performance.

camelot will also do that. any good cb shop will. if they won't, don't do business there because they probably don't know what they're talking about.

fwiw, radio service center is where the cb from the raffle rig came from. they didn't donate it, but did offer a good deal to the colorado go4s, so please mention that if you go there.

i'd go to camelot mainly because they are used in the big truck world (where i work) and they're right down the street from me.

Hulk
07-01-2007, 10:09 PM
Top corner of my brush guard a better spot?

Yes, that's a better spot. The ground plane isn't ideal, but you won't have the whole parallel surface interference thing.

I go to Radio Service Center because:

they've done a great job for me several times
they're a helluva lot closer than Commie City for us South Sidahs.

Nick F.
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
thanks guys.

Inukshuk
07-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Ther is a place on 38th here in NW Denver. SBS I think.

nuclearlemon
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Ther is a place on 38th here in NW Denver. SBS I think.

yep...sbs electronics is the other "class 8 recommended shop" ...

Groucho
07-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Yes, they suck for several reasons. I will quote the mag-mount section from Alan's site. See the "Antenna Mounts" page of this website:
http://www.k0bg.com

"I've placed mag mounts first for a good reason; they're not safe! When they're demonstrated in retail outlets, they're stuck to a thick chunk of metal. Since the amount of force is reliant on the thickness of the material it is stuck to, the actual force will be much less when it's sitting atop your vehicle. And it doesn't make much difference how many magnets they have, or how big they are. The fact remains they will become flying missiles in the event of a crash. There has been one confirmed death, and possibly a second, caused by a mag mount dislodging in a crash. Distractors say that's good odds, but it isn't. If you haven't already, read my Insurance article.

At the last hamfest I attended, I ask the owner why his three magnet mount was tied down with a couple of bungie cords. He told he he did that after it came off while he was on the interstate. Aren't you glad you weren't behind him?

There is another problem with them; they increase ground losses. If you've read my Antenna Efficiency article, you'll know why minimizing ground loss is so important. If you think attaching a ground strap to the nearest hard point on your vehicle will help negate this situation, you're wrong.

The bottom line is, if you have to resort to a mag mount for your antenna, you haven't thought long enough about other, safer, more efficient, mounting techniques."

I have a nice Wilson mag mount I purchased at Camelot, which I like a lot. Several of us have gotten in to 2m Ham radio and that community seems to frown on mag mounts, for some reason. The only time my Wilson came off was when a low branch swept it off the roof of my 55. :eek:
I recommend the Wilson W-1000, permanently attached if at all possible to your roof.