PDA

View Full Version : I broke my leg - I'm out for the summer

JadeRunner
07-02-2007, 11:28 AM
After we got home from the Yoder family reunion yesterday, I was showing the relatives how to correctly use the slip and slide in the backyard when I caught my ankle on the stake and broke my fibula. Ouch.:o Not sure if I will need surgery yet, but I will be on crutches for at least 9 weeks and won't be able to drive. Bummer.

Shark Bait
07-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Ouch! Looks like a fibula to me. :p: Femur is the thigh bone.

wesintl
07-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Close, Fibula.

Ouch.. That looks exactly like mine when I broke it and very similar. I jumped over a snow bank when the right leg came down it hit some ice and when it caught clean pavement 6" later my weight snapped the fibula in that exact location and style.

Good luck. My doc was able to position the foot in such a manner that I did not have to have surgery but he made it very clear that weight on it could cause it to move and then it'd be surgery time. I also had to go in every week for some 6 or 8 weeks for an xray to be sure it didn't move. I didn't need surgery and it healed very nicely but my ankle has never been the same. That's the way it is with broken bones though.

Good luck Scott. Sorry to hear!

Shark Bait
07-02-2007, 12:03 PM
Fixed it. Thanks Wes. I'm more familiar with the femur. :p:

nuclearlemon
07-02-2007, 12:15 PM
ouch...that sucks.

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Ouch! If it is any small comfort, I go in for sonic therapy of plantar fasciitis next Tuesday. If it doesn't get better hunting this fall is going to be a REAL challenge... :(

JadeRunner
07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
Close, Fibula.

Ouch.. That looks exactly like mine when I broke it and very similar. I jumped over a snow bank when the right leg came down it hit some ice and when it caught clean pavement 6" later my weight snapped the fibula in that exact location and style.

Good luck. My doc was able to position the foot in such a manner that I did not have to have surgery but he made it very clear that weight on it could cause it to move and then it'd be surgery time. I also had to go in every week for some 6 or 8 weeks for an xray to be sure it didn't move. I didn't need surgery and it healed very nicely but my ankle has never been the same. That's the way it is with broken bones though.

Good luck Scott. Sorry to hear!

Interesting - thanks for the info. I meant fibula I guess. It's all new to me as it's my first broken bone.

I probably won't be able to pack meat out again this year. Bummer because a drew another either sex license for the La Garita Wildernes area again.

Bighead
07-02-2007, 01:06 PM
I cringe just looking at that. Sorry for the bad luck.

Ron Helmuth
07-02-2007, 01:18 PM
bummer-that's the accelerator foot?

Let us know if you will be needing some rides and we can help a brotha out

similar accident description to one of my knee injuries..."had to teach the kids how to sled properly..."

treerootCO
07-02-2007, 01:21 PM
at least you weren't playing with lawn darts :D

Get better

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I probably won't be able to pack meat out again this year. Bummer because a drew another either sex license for the La Garita Wildernes area again.
One word for ya. Horses.

timmbuck2
07-02-2007, 02:30 PM
damn...I hope Rising Sun injuries don't come in 3's...I woke up with pain and weakness in both forearms.......

Get better!!!

T

MDH33
07-02-2007, 04:10 PM
damn...I hope Rising Sun injuries don't come in 3's...I woke up with pain and weakness in both forearms.......

Get better!!!

T

hmm maybe they do! I just sprained my ankle running on Saturday! :o

Luckily nothing broken and I'm still able to wheel. :)

Scott, sorry about your injury, that sucks dude. I hope you heal twice as fast as they predict. :thumb:

JadeRunner
07-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the support. I'll be going in for surgury tomorrow to put a plate and perhaps a screw in. Due to a gap down in the foot area that's to large that time in could cause prolems down the road. The break itself would have realed up fine.

treerootCO
07-02-2007, 05:14 PM
request OEM parts ;)

art hog
07-02-2007, 06:35 PM
drew another either sex license for the La Garita

Im not sure what to make of this. I gess I didn't know.:eek:

Crash
07-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Scott, that is rough news, man. I don't know which is worse, a blown fibula or a blown tranny. Yes, I do - you got the worse end of the deal and I'm sorry to read it. First break ever though? You were overdue. Get well soon.

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Trannies don't heal.

Scott, good move on the plate. OEM is fine, but remanufactured will gitterdun twice as fast and half as cheap. :D

timmbuck2
07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
and make sure to ask for the old parts!!!

Trannies don't heal.

Scott, good move on the plate. OEM is fine, but remanufactured will gitterdun twice as fast and half as cheap. :D

Inukshuk
07-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery! I saw some Lake Powell photos recently where they had rigged up a long plastic tarp running down a dune and a pump to pump lakewater up to the top. Mega slip-n-slide! Kind of reminds me of the poor man's slip-n-slide -mudsliding. Fun till you get down to the rocks!

farnhamstj
07-02-2007, 09:54 PM
Good luck Scott. Getting some hardware is always the way to go.

farnhamstj
07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey I found a video of Scott on the slip and slide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9BzhQtm_CQ

nakman
07-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Bummer, Scott! We'll miss you out on the trail.. get well soon man.

Hulk
07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Sorry to hear it, Scott. Heal up quick, dude!

powderpig
07-03-2007, 09:22 AM
How dumb are the guys on the you tube video's.
Sorry to hear about the break. Heal soon. later robbie

Bobzooki
07-03-2007, 04:30 PM
Dang, Scott!!! That really sucks!

Now, if you'd had more alcohol in your system, you probably would have been more relaxed, and not been injured at all! Well, hope you get healed up quick!

I drew cow muzzle-loading again this year.

Rzeppa
07-08-2007, 06:54 PM
How dumb are the guys on the you tube video's.
No kidding; today on the trail we saw a 3rd gen 4runner load of kids bouncing down the trail going at least 2-3x as fast as a normal, safe speed. Two of them were STANDING in the cargo compartment in the rear, hanging out of the open rear window holding on to the roof rack. We just shook our heads. Even when I was 17 I would never have permitted my passengers to do anything like that.

Like I told you on the phone, heal up quick Scott!

RockRunner
07-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Lucky you did not break your neck, that is one of the most common ways for adults during the summer time. Good luck on your recovery!!