PDA

View Full Version : Advice for removing Spring Hanger Pin.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-02-2007, 01:39 PM
I tried to replace the springs on my 96' Taco this weekend only to find out that the rubber bushings have welded themselves to the pins. I have soaked them in PB Blaster, and now I wait. Just wanted to see if ne1 had other success stories in dealing with this problem. I would like to hit it with the BFH but, the side of the pin that I would need to hit only has an inch gap between it and the gas tank.

treerootCO
07-02-2007, 01:45 PM
the only way I have been able to do it is with a highlift jack parallel with the ground on the frame and a chain on the spring pin.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-02-2007, 01:57 PM
How did you attach the chain to the pin?

nuclearlemon
07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
you have to get the pin partway out so you can get the chain behind the "head" of the pin.

you could always use flame:hill: nothing quite like fire next to a gas tank

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Don't shoot me but... I just realized why you snapped your leaf:
Leif Snapp-Cook

Uncle Ben
07-02-2007, 02:53 PM
the only way I have been able to do it is with a highlift jack parallel with the ground on the frame and a chain on the spring pin.

Ya know a large slide hammer works very well.....but I guess thats just not redneck enough? :rolleyes: :hill:

Surprised ya don't have winch anchor on the garage wall yet so you can rig a cable...:rolleyes: :lmao: :cool:

wesintl
07-02-2007, 03:16 PM
I've always melted the bushings, tap the threaded end to get the other side started and then I usually use a big screw driver or prybar and it'll slide right out.

(`._.[xtr3m3]._.)
07-02-2007, 03:18 PM
you could always use flame:hill: nothing quite like fire next to a gas tank

I considered that. :eek:

Don't shoot me but... I just realized why you snapped your leaf:

So you dont think it might of had anything to do with the fact that my spring was immobilized by the stupid bushing. :D

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Possibly, but more likely the 'Hecho en Mexico' painted on it. No kidding.
Common problem on the 96-97 Tacos.

farnhamstj
07-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Air chissel (sp?) is the best way to go. Another option is it sawzall through the bushing and pin on each side between the leaf and hanger. Remove the remaining pin after the spring has been removed. That's what we had to do on my buddy;s Taco last summer. The torch and melt only led to smelly sticky mess.

subzali
07-05-2007, 09:15 PM
I would second the sawzall method, it seems like that's what we did with ours too, but now I can't quite remember.

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 07:35 AM
Small comfort, but mine came out after liberal dosing with PB Blaster over a week or so.

Hulk
07-06-2007, 11:13 AM
On my 40, we heated it to the point that it caught fire. The BFH eventually coaxed it out as the smoke poured out from the bushings.

Good times. :)