PDA

View Full Version : So.. say I started looking for a 100...

wesintl
07-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Are the 98-99's good or should I not look at the early ones even if they have a rear locker. I'm seeing good decent prices on these in good shape with low miles compared to 80's..

Don't worry. I read through christo's faq and I'm somewhat familiar.

treerootCO
07-02-2007, 03:29 PM
I would say save the monies and buy 5 80s:D

farnhamstj
07-02-2007, 03:42 PM
2000+ has 4 pinion front diff(more bomber) and trac. If you find one at a price you like, that would be the way to go. I've had no problems with my front diff (2pinion) I plan on eventually putting an ARB in the front, even more bomber than 4pinion diff. Either way you can't really go wrong.

wesintl
07-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I would say save the monies and buy 5 80s:D

80's are no longer sacred. Ige has one.. :lmao:

Wife's family mobile so I'd only be able to use it for family wheeling camping trips which would be like 1 a year.

I still have a month or so to talk her into an hdj81 or hzj77 but she won't do a RHD :o And I get the TDI, what fun.

Kipper
07-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm IFS clueless, I have no idea what 2 pinion and 4 pinion means. Someone please explain this to me.

treerootCO
07-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I think IFS has something to do with your rear bumper falling off. :p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH5xN-JiQSA

Hants
07-02-2007, 05:43 PM
:lmao: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm IFS clueless, I have no idea what 2 pinion and 4 pinion means. Someone please explain this to me.

2-4 Pinion = 2-4 spider gears

Red_Chili
07-02-2007, 06:58 PM
More teeth to break when you leave the ground on High Speed Mesa. :lmao:

Actually, the ARB has the toughest 4 pinion/spider arrangement so its moot.

Man, I REEEEEALLY feel like a Luddite now. 80s are passe, and everybody's going for old used 100s. What's next, old Escalades??? :lmao:

Uncle Ben
07-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Actually, the ARB has the toughest 4 pinion/spider arrangement so its moot.

:lmao:

No question on the strength of the hard parts! Now actuate the slider with something other than air/moisture and you would have a bullet proof diff!

farnhamstj
07-02-2007, 08:45 PM
It's about time Ben got a rear bumper. That's funny.

nakman
07-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Cool Wes. So shirley you've read through this page? http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbieUZJ100.htm I think rear A/C needs to be a requirement personally, you know why take the bus half-way home.

powderpig
07-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I do not know what you can afford and How much you want to pay. I personally would want the 2003 and up models. Newer 5 speed tranny that is real smooth, VVTI engine that has better horse power and torque. And I believe better fuel ecomany. Different gearing in the diffs (back to 4:10 I believe). Traction control is great, works great for a daily driver and the once in a while camping trips(unless you are building it up for harder trails). Any how the earlier ones are great trucks as well, just not as advanced in the tranny and engine department. Good luck, later Robbie

subzali
07-05-2007, 12:46 PM
What's the month deadline for the diesel Cruisers you mentioned? Is there a sweet deal going down that one of us needs to scoop up? :D

Red_Chili
07-05-2007, 12:58 PM
No question on the strength of the hard parts! Now actuate the slider with something other than air/moisture and you would have a bullet proof diff!
What, like,
1) a slow motor trying to engage a cog and overcome springs? Or
2) thousands of pounds of force from an air actuated system?

Real men choose 2).:lmao:

Three Wheel Ben
07-05-2007, 01:53 PM
4 Pinion definitely better than the 2 but have replaced both due to breakage, especially during the snow storms, usually get a couple. ARB is definitely the way to go there, even if you just put the diff in w/o using the locker. 2000 MY are famous for cracking exhaust manifolds. I highly recommend rear a/c, that is about the only thing I wish I had. Especially it being black. 99 and later only i think for that. Robbie is correct on 03 and later but they are still pretty pricey. That body style might be plentiful shortly since the new body style is coming out soon.

Other thing to consider is an LX, I know it's a lexus but you get insta-lift whenever you want along with a couple of other bells and whistles.

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
What, like,
1) a slow motor trying to engage a cog and overcome springs? Or
2) thousands of pounds of force from an air actuated system?

Real men choose 2).:lmao:

Sorry William....you're gonna have to drink more milk! Slow hi-torque motor rotating direct mesh gears and preloading a healthy butt spring loaded fork design waiting for long straight spline alignment, with fail safe options of manual engagement or disengagement should you need 4 wheels pulling to get you out of where 4 wheels pulling go you into! Vrs bzzzzzzzzzzzz....pissssah, "damn!"

On a serious side....well maybe semi serious.....go over and pull the "Gods gift to real men" locker out of the raffle truck so I can take a manly grinder to the carrier so the POS will hold the axles in! :lmao: :p: ;)
:lmao: :hill: :p:

Red_Chili
07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
On a serious side....well maybe semi serious.....go over and pull the "Gods gift to real men" locker out of the raffle truck so I can take a manly grinder to the carrier so the POS will hold the axles in! :lmao: :p: ;)
:lmao: :hill: :p:
I wouldn't know a thing about C-clip diffs personally... sooooo American... mine just slide in so very nicely.

On the comparative strengths of operation, I'd like to see you go head to head with the ARB rep. Mebbe we can sell tickets. Kinda like a WWF death-match kinda thing.

I can hardly wait to see your costume.
Wait, belay that, I can wait... I can, really...:eek:

Corbet
07-06-2007, 10:36 AM
03 or newer, get the 5 speed trans.