PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas for a welding table and cart...

Rezarf
07-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Stacy let me pull the trigger on a 220v Mig welder yesterday WOO HOO! :D

I got the Lincoln SP-175T, I am giddy like a school:Princess:

Now I would love some help in designing a welding table and cart. Anyone care to share their's with a photo or two.

Maybe what you would do if you got to do it over, or something you would be sure to keep?

Thanks!

FWIW, the Lowes by my house is selling the Lincoln 3200hd (220v) Mig welder for 499 right now and the smaller 110v mig for 349!

Thanks again-

Rezarf <><

bustanutley
07-03-2007, 01:48 PM
My miller came with one :p:

art hog
07-03-2007, 04:24 PM
heres my new set-up. Table is 51X42 3/8 plate $180 at den col. I had the rest for the table. heres a pic of my new lincoln Precision tig 225. got it 2 weeks ago. For my mig a Hobart 150. I used what I call a shop cart from ? I think I bought it from a place going out of business. I cut a hole in the top for the gas bottle and it has all the storage on the top.

IanB
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
You can look at mine but it won't fit a welder the size you are getting.

Definitely have wheels and make a space for the gas cylinder on the cart.

IanB
07-03-2007, 06:51 PM
heres my new set-up. Table is 51X42 3/8 plate $180 at den col. I had the rest for the table. heres a pic of my new lincoln Precision tig 225. got it 2 weeks ago. For my mig a Hobart 150. I used what I call a shop cart from ? I think I bought it from a place going out of business. I cut a hole in the top for the gas bottle and it has all the storage on the top.

(never mind just reread the post)? Have you experienced any warping with the table? I was thinking 1/2"

Nice set up :cheers:

art hog
07-04-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't get my table that hot + the underside of the table has about 50 5/16 bolts that I can turn and level areas of the top. 1/2 is WAY to heavy and Way to pricey.I think 3/8 will do fine.

DevinSixtySeven
07-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Since I didn't need a precision flat tabletop, just "flat enough", I picked up some 1/4" scrap from K&K, plus some box tube to support it and a shelf (scrap sheetmetal), and some angle iron for legs. The top is about elbow height when I'm standing, real comfortable for working on whatever. It's the garage utility table, gets used for everything including welding.

There are a few nuts welded to the underside to mount a 6" vise. I don't have hex-key inserts yet, but putting the bolts in from the bottom works well enough when the vise isn't mounted (it's usually mounted).

The table was my first big project after destroying a ton of practice welds, and as anybody can see from the welds, it's full of "learning experiences". Sorry I don't have a good pic of it.

Things that have worked out really well are a couple hooks to hang the drill, sawzall and grinder, and a big enough shelf on the bottom to stash material and a metal toolbox. The supports for the tabletop are pulled in a couple inches so I can mount clamps. There's a powerstrip mounted under the tabletop, away from the top, opposite side from the vise, ie as far from heat, sparks, and grinder dust as possible. It's well-shielded and the lines all pass under, not over, the tabletop so I don't accidentally lay the power cord for the grinder over a hot part.

It's about 2'x4' since that's about all the room I have in the garage. Doing it again, 4'x8'x0.5", regularly spaced holes to hold things without needing an edge for a C-clamp, separate rig/tool cart, wheels with a leveling system, small levels bolted to two sides. I got plenty to learn before I need a table like that ;).

Check out Millerwelds.com, they have a great forum, and a ton of project ideas.

-Sean