PDA

View Full Version : FJ40 Horns

Shark Bait
07-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Can someone with a late model FJ40, preferrably a '78, take me a picture of their horns and how they are wired please? It's about time for me to mount mine. It looks like I've got spade style plugs on both sides of the wiring harness. Problem is all the horns in my garage have only one spade lug per horn. I have both High and Low pitch horns. It looks like one mounts on each side of the radiator.

TIA.

Shorty
07-05-2007, 10:39 AM
I don't have a pic right now (I'm at work), but I can explain the setup on my '78. The high pitch does mount on one side of the radiator, and the low pitch is on the other. Each one has 2 spades. One of the spades is a ground for the horn. The other is hot. I don't remember which wire is which. A schematic will show, or you can use a voltmeter. Let me know if you still need a pic.

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 10:54 AM
I don't have a pic right now (I'm at work), but I can explain the setup on my '78. The high pitch does mount on one side of the radiator, and the low pitch is on the other. Each one has 2 spades. One of the spades is a ground for the horn. The other is hot. I don't remember which wire is which. A schematic will show, or you can use a voltmeter. Let me know if you still need a pic.

Thanks Mark. I wasn't sure from the wiring diagram which one was hot. Where do I plug the ground? There is no tab for it. :confused:

isotel
07-05-2007, 11:17 AM
just took a look at my 76, it looks like its grounded thru the mount to the radiator channel..

Mine only has the same dual horn setup, but only the low one works so it sounds like a dam VW bug.. lol

Shorty
07-05-2007, 11:29 AM
For the ground wire, you could just attach it to the bolt that holds the horn to the radiator channel. I think that the ground wire is white with a blue stripe, but I would have to check for sure this evening.

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks. I'll take a picture of what I've got going on.

BTW, I've got several sets of horns if you need one. :D

Shorty
07-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Actually, my electric horns are just backups for my air horns. :D

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 01:06 PM
OK. Here is what I'm dealing with. The wires are the right color according to the wiring diagram. The one set of horns with the white connectors has two tabs in it, but my plugs are too big.

Shorty
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
Hmmmmm. Mine don't have the double tabs like your white ones. One of my tabs is connected like the one in your 3rd picture. The other tab connects to the steel mounting thingy that attaches to the radiator bracket.

You should be able to use an ohmmeter to determine which one is grounded to the horn's case. I would then replace the terminal clips on the end of the wires with regular female spade connectors (e.g., from Checkers or your favorite electronics store).

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah. That's what I'll do. Figure out which one is ground and bolt it to the radiator channel. There was a small u-channel thingy on the PS of the radiator channel. I didn't know what it was for so I removed it. Didn't have any tabs on it. I'm almost ready to hook up the battery. :eek: :D