PDA

View Full Version : Rubithon 2008

Pages : 1 [2]

Jacket
01-19-2008, 09:09 AM
I made my "stink pot" out of a 5 gal bucket and an el cheapo toilet seat from Home Depot. I line it with a bag, throw a pile of kitty litter in it, and keeps the family happy when seating is necessary.:thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 09:13 AM
I made my "stink pot" out of a 5 gal bucket and an el cheapo toilet seat from Home Depot. I line it with a bag, throw a pile of kitty litter in it, and keeps the family happy when seating is necessary.:thumb:

The club owns several porta potty's I'm sure we can borrow (if the club approves it). Unless the bag is stored in Romers truck I think I would like something a tad more secure than a bag!

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 09:14 AM
We also need to be thinking what we, as a club, want to donate to the raffle so they can list it.

Jacket
01-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Bucket has a lid for sealed storage - or you can strap it to the roof rack.

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Bucket has a lid for sealed storage - or you can strap it to the roof rack on Romers truck.

Fixed it for you! ;)

Romer
01-19-2008, 09:34 AM
I dont think so

powderpig
01-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Ahh come on Romer, it will go nice next to the RTT. Usually the bag goes with the person that deposited the solid matter. I see you guys will have fun with this. I did forget that the club owns some of these devices. Will make it a bit cheaper for folks that do not camp that often. If you do camp often, this is something to have on the any trip. Better to take it then to leave it in the woods any more. IMHO

I will have to look for this Strap I mentioned. I saw it on the trip in Oregon (I believe) and it was a nice addition to recovery stuff. It basically a thin strap about 1 inch wide of heavy web. Designed with loops on either end that make it easy to loop through a attachment point to counter balance the truck instead of hanging on it. I think it was about 15 ft long. This way you could go though a window and around a pilar if needed or the roof rack. then you can be away from the truck if it does go over(safety first).
Any how I will be looking for this soon, as it is something I want to add to my kit.
when I find it I will post it.
Later Robbie

Romer
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I have the older version of this, same setup though

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Pett-portable-dry-toilet-system-wag-bag-portapotty_W0QQitemZ140199445760QQihZ004QQcategoryZ52484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Norcal guys recommended it to me. I think the bag disposal is a bit easier, less smelly and less messy with this setup. Plus it all folds up into a small backpack.

http://i5.ebayimg.com/08/i/000/d0/a4/e664_1.JPG

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 10:24 AM
I have the older version of this, same setup though

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Pett-portable-dry-toilet-system-wag-bag-portapotty_W0QQitemZ140199445760QQihZ004QQcategoryZ52484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Norcal guys recommended it to me. I think the bag disposal is a bit easier, less smelly and less messy with this setup. Plus it all folds up into a small backpack.

That is cool! I have this quick shower tent... http://www.evergreen-outdoors.net/outback/images/privy1.jpg It's awesome that it sets up so fast but the system you referenced looks like a great complete setup! Even looks like it has a magazine holder and back rest.....who could want more? ;)

Romer
01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
I have a different shower tent that looks like that. I was told you don't want to use a tent with a floor for takin care of bidnis :D

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I have a different shower tent that looks like that. I was told you don't want to use a tent with a floor for takin care of bidnis :D

It has no floor attached although it comes with a plastic square to be used for a floor.

Romer
01-19-2008, 03:56 PM
This is the shower system we took to Flat Nasty

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/68/48/05/06/0068480506187_500X500.jpg

It was better than nothing. You have to make sure the pump doesn't run dry or it will burn up. If you stop the water, like to soap up and turn it on, the water is scalding. We augmented the pump with one Tim had brought. I suppose if you have a stream or a lake to feed from and don't have to worry about shutting it off, it would be fine.

If you aware of the scalding water its not much of an issue, but the Helton and Twain systems installed into the trucks look to be superior to me.

This is the Shower tent I have

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/72/70/01/12/0072700112129_500X500.jpg

Less than $30 at walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4726169). It has a floor with mesh around the edges that acts as a drain. It also has a hanging bag to put your soap and shampoo in.

powderpig
01-19-2008, 06:24 PM
I think the trick to the zodi is to have a 5 gallon bucket that you can circulate the water to the temp you want then turn off the heat. Just use the pump to take the shower. Anyhow that is what I have heard about them in the past.
Walmart special looks nice for the price.

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
I think the trick to the zodi is to have a 5 gallon bucket that you can circulate the water to the temp you want then turn off the heat. Just use the pump to take the shower. Anyhow that is what I have heard about them in the past.
Walmart special looks nice for the price.

My Zodi has a 5 gallon plastic tub as a case that works perfect for water source! Like this one.....http://www.4savvybuyers.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_5/40259656_8660178_thumbnail.jpg

nakman
01-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok, silly question here- but when my dog craps in the park, I reach down and pick it up with one of those green plastic bags and I'm done with it. When I change my kid's diaper, I roll it up and put it in the trash. Can't the same principle apply? Why must one spend a couple hundred bucks on an elaborate potty system if the simple means already exist to just toss it in a trash bag. And then just stuff the trash bag inside my spare, and leave it out there for the trip, as I've done so many times before...

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Ok, silly question here- but when my dog craps in the park, I reach down and pick it up with one of those green plastic bags and I'm done with it. When I change my kid's diaper, I roll it up and put it in the trash. Can't the same principle apply? Why must one spend a couple hundred bucks on an elaborate potty system if the simple means already exist to just toss it in a trash bag. And then just stuff the trash bag inside my spare, and leave it out there for the trip, as I've done so many times before...

That will work great!

corsair23
01-19-2008, 09:51 PM

So, you're going to poop in the woods, pick it up with a trash bag, and then stuff the trash bag into you spare tire like contraband :confused: :lmao: :thumb:

Romer
01-19-2008, 10:08 PM
And I thought he was Inspector Gadget:confused:

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 10:53 PM
So, you're going to poop in the woods, pick it up with a trash bag, and then stuff the trash bag into you spare tire like contraband :confused: :lmao: :thumb:

As much as I respect Nakgadget and I have no doubt he's one of the sharper tacks in the box there is just no freaking way he can get all that through the valve stem! If he can....I'll take his word for it as I do not wanna watch! :eek: http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Yahoo/31.gif

timmbuck2
01-20-2008, 08:59 AM
Wait...we have to do WHAT??? WHERE?!!!!! Can't we just go to the local starbucks?? They have bathrooms.....and I am sure the Spa across the street will have a shower we can use.

:lmao:

T

As much as I respect Nakgadget and I have no doubt he's one of the sharper tacks in the box there is just no freaking way he can get all that through the valve stem! If he can....I'll take his word for it as I do not wanna watch! :eek: http://www.dinicartoons.com/forum/images/smilies/Yahoo/31.gif

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 12:33 PM
After reading the last two pages I am going to change it up a little. Nak I agree with you in principle but I am thinking of making a holder under the truck. ANYWAY.................

WE ARE 99% SURE WE, YES WE, ARE GOING:beer2::thumb::camping::campfire::clap::bowdown:

Now here is the deal, I need some questions answered to get that 1% over the edge. We are planning on leaving on Wednesday the week prior to make a long trip out of this. We are bringing the dogs so there will be some limitations to what we can do. Trip outline is as follows and PLEASE make suggestions if you have a better place to stop or ????

Leave Denver and drive to West Wendover NV approx 9 hour drive.

From there Sonoma CA approx 8 hour drive.

Next Stinson Beach CA Dogs get to play in the ocean, whole reason for them to be there, OK maybe not.

Next we plan on checking out San Pablo Bay area

From here we are a little fuzzy, Go to Loon Lake or check out South Lake Tahoe?? Where are we going to drop the trailers? That area may be nice to check out.

We would like to stay in a Motel/camp area so we can shower etc. before the trip. SUGESTIONS PLEASE.

Run the Rubicon

Leave for Denver Either Sunday after the run or stay till Monday and check out the area some more and leave Monday some time.

Please please please give me your thoughts on places to stop on the way there and back, remember we will have dogs.

We drove from San Fran to Sonoma then up north to Highway 1 back to San Fran with several stops along the way. We know some of the area so we don't want to repeat some of it.

Uncle Ben, can I call you some time? I have some questions easier discussed on the phone. You can call me most of the time, I will PM you my number.

PS We can stay in motels or camp sites does not matter as long as they are DOG friendly.

bh4rnnr
01-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Man, this is starting to sound like the trip of the year! Sure wish I could go, but will have to wait untill another year...

Rogue Leader
01-20-2008, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=

From there Sonoma CA approx 8 hour drive.

[/QUOTE]

Sonoma is nice. lived there for 10 years. if you need any recommendations on places to stay, im sure my Parents can help you out. I was too young to remember all the vinyards and stuf they went to:D

RockRunner
01-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Sonoma is nice. lived there for 10 years. if you need any recommendations on places to stay, im sure my Parents can help you out. I was too young to remember all the vinyards and stuf they went to:D

May take you up on that. We were there for only one day and enjoyed it much more than Napa. Napa is so stuck up vs Sonoma who seems to enjoy a slower pace and the people there are much friendlier.
:cheers:

Romer
01-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Saw over in the TLCA section that our old friend Mickey Rubicon (Now Cardinal33) is going to be running with Marlin on the Rubicon. His posts on Mud since he got himself banned and came back as Cardinal have had a much better tone.

Uncle Ben
01-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Also of note is the latest post on the TLCA Rubithon '08 forum....Robbies got moved back to last group in on Wednesday with no stock FJC's! Congratulations Robbie!!!!!

wesintl
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty much a full go. I sat down with Tra and looked at the dates etc. to be sure it will all work out. My brother gets married in aug. so i'm good there :D

Sad thing is I think i'm only really going to be able to go to cruise moab friday afternoon and sat. This has more to do with our day care situation than time off. I'd be able to leave at 8:30 and get out there fri.

Uncle Ben
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm pretty much a full go. I sat down with Tra and looked at the dates etc. to be sure it will all work out. My brother gets married in aug. so i'm good there :D

Sad thing is I think i'm only really going to be able to go to cruise moab friday afternoon and sat. This has more to do with our day care situation than time off. I'd be able to leave at 8:30 and get out there fri.

I might be interested in joining you (CM)....not sure yet....have to float in in on a low signal on the radar....:bowdown::Princess: ;)

Hulk
01-24-2008, 11:48 PM
My current plan is to leave Wednesday night after work and roll into Moab about 11:00 p.m. That way I'm only taking off 2 days. I think I can pull this off. With Rubithon, I'll miss all the pre-runs this year. If Cheeseman leads a crash and burn weekend, I might try to go to that, maybe as a passenger.

RockRunner
01-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Kevin, put us down for 100%!!!!!! We are a go!! Lots of work to do between now and then but that is half the fun. Can't wait.

Kevin, I would like to talk to you about this trip and what I need to do to get ready. I spoke to your friend Jon and got some good info but would like some more.

DaveInDenver
02-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Talking to more people, starting to get the distinct impression that an IFS, WilderNest'ed, full over hanging, 33" tire truck is not a good idea on the Rubicon. I don't mind scrapes and dents and stuff, but I'm driving out and back and am hoping to get those few days exploring. So the 'Nest fits my plans.

The rest, well I have what I have, it needs to make it home and it needs to get to work the day after. I really don't have any interest in destroying my truck, either. Typical stuff is fine, but if I'm gonna be flopping over and shattering the fiberglass on the 'Nest, well not sure that sounds fun.

Realistically, is this something I should be trying? Seems this is better suited for someone with a tow rig and a play toy, not a 122" wheelbase top heavy daily driver with a bonehead operator. I might have to sit this one out. I'd do the drive out and back, but figure out some place to go and camp in solitude for the days of the Rubithon. Whatcha think, guys? The upside would be that I will save all that money I was going to spend on 4.7 gears for the t-case and the Budbuilt IFS skid and drivetrain belly pan.

nakman
02-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Dave I think you could do it but it may be tight in spots. But as you know, I've never been there so what do I know.

How about riding out with someone else? There should be a handful of guys from the club also doing just that, and don't worry you'll get to do your share of the driving. You're welcome to ride with me, you can teach me how to cross band repeat...

subzali
02-10-2008, 07:13 AM
You got a schoolbus there Tim? :lmao:

DaveInDenver
02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Dave I think you could do it but it may be tight in spots. But as you know, I've never been there so what do I know.

How about riding out with someone else? There should be a handful of guys from the club also doing just that, and don't worry you'll get to do your share of the driving. You're welcome to ride with me, you can teach me how to cross band repeat...
I don't mind driving, actually was looking forward to a good road trip. I'm laying the ground work to get around 8 to 10 days off work, I have more than enough hours accumulated since I've only cashed in like 4 hours of vacation in the past year. It's just the Rubicon that's starting to get me sketched out, I'd rather not be that guy. The one that always needs a strap, broken parts all over, destroyed truck, basically being a drag. I'm not too proud to admit my truck isn't up to the task. So far in my 37 years I've spent 5 days in California, so maybe I'll just tag along on the trip out and poke around seeing stuff while you guys are at Rubithon. Or probably I'll just go to Reno and gamble. Not sure yet.

60wag
02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm getting close to making some plane reservations to fly into Reno. I still need to work out the pick up at the airport. If anyone else is considering the "fly & ride" option, speak up so we can co ordinate the effort.

Dave - you could like drive out there early, spend some days exploring CA and then be a passenger for Rubicon. Your truck then makes the trip with a couple fewer dents on the way back.

Tch2fly
02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
It took me long enough to work up the "courage" to take on the RUBICON ;) but I would like to commit to going if there is still space. :D

I'll be solo and happy to have some company if there are any riders looking for seats.

wesintl
02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Dave, Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I'm sure your truck will be fine and everyone in the group will do everything to prevent unwanted damage. Your truck is capable enough as it is. No one can guarantee no damage since it's always a risk wheeling but imho you'll be fine.

We need UB and robbie to pump you back up. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
Dave, Don't let anyone talk you out of it. I'm sure your truck will be fine and everyone in the group will do everything to prevent unwanted damage. Your truck is capable enough as it is. No one can guarantee no damage since it's always a risk wheeling but imho you'll be fine.

We need UB and robbie to pump you back up. :thumb:

It's OK Wes....let him cower. He's right....it's just a mini truck....not like it can do anything bumpy! :eek: :brick: :hill:

DaveInDenver
02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
It's OK Wes....let him cower. He's right....it's just a mini truck....not like it can do anything bumpy! :eek: :brick: :hill:
So I'm not crazy? Kind of worrying about having that 300 lbs of uphill tire de-weighting fiberglass on the back... But, yeah, cranked torsion IFS on speed bumps = lifted tires.

Uncle Ben
02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
So I'm not crazy? Kind of worrying about having that 300 lbs of uphill tire de-weighting fiberglass on the back... But, yeah, cranked torsion IFS on speed bumps = lifted tires.

http://www.ngpp.org/lounge/images/smilies/ChickDance.gif :p: ;)

DaveInDenver
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified. Am I crazy for doing Rubicon in my truck? I know I've been fighting that general madness issue for years. Crazy like a loon, I am.

Romer
02-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, I guess I should have clarified. Am I crazy for doing Rubicon in my truck? I know I've been fighting that general madness issue for years. Crazy like a loon, I am.

Since you and I are both engineers, isn't this more appropriate?

http://www.impawards.com/1993/posters/falling_down.jpg

Uncle Ben
02-10-2008, 09:52 PM

Dave, you know I'm only teasing! Only you know if your skills and your rig are ready! Rubicon is long and fairly tough and lots of potential for damage. You need your truck for a DD and you're not going to have a good time if your stressed! Another option would be for you to go in backwards from Lake Tahoe to Rubicon Springs and camp out. Cadillac Hill is a challenge but really not that bad if you know how to drive your truck and pick a line!

DaveInDenver
02-10-2008, 09:59 PM
Dave, you know I'm only teasing!
Yup, I know. ;-)
Only you know if your skills and your rig are ready! Rubicon is long and fairly tough and lots of potential for damage. You need your truck for a DD and you're not going to have a good time if your stressed! Another option would be for you to go in backwards from Lake Tahoe to Rubicon Springs and camp out. Cadillac Hill is a challenge but really not that bad if you know how to drive your truck and pick a line!
It's been a tough couple of months, I'm out of whack and have been doing a lot of web wheeling. I read about people who take Double Cab Tacomas through. Heck Scott Brady got a stock Jeep Liberty through there (now admittedly taking someone else's truck through is a whole 'nuther log of cheese). I'm still going forward with the rest of the modifications. Crash and Robbie got my junk up Missouri Gulch and if I'd had sliders and the 4.7 transfer I think it would have worked MUCH smoother... Who knows, maybe I will take the 'Nest off. Although the suspension would be stiff without the weight. :-/

RockRunner
02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I haven't seen any mention of a group sign up or do we have to sign up as individuals? Do we still have a list of who is going for sure? I know we are going to make a 12 day trip out of it and everything is being prepped for this trail.

Most likely we will be using the RTT, seems to be an easier solution than setting up a tent everyday and having to take it down.

If there are any planning meetings let me know please, just want to know what is happening. Not much detail on the trip lately.

Uncle Ben
02-11-2008, 10:05 AM
I haven't seen any mention of a group sign up or do we have to sign up as individuals? Do we still have a list of who is going for sure? I know we are going to make a 12 day trip out of it and everything is being prepped for this trail.

Most likely we will be using the RTT, seems to be an easier solution than setting up a tent everyday and having to take it down.

If there are any planning meetings let me know please, just want to know what is happening. Not much detail on the trip lately.

Good kick Tom! ;) I am going to start a new thread in the Members Only section just for actual logistics and planning and we can continue to keep this thread open for chit chat and "what if's." I will update the list and move it appropriately this week.

nakman
02-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm also willing to help lead the planning effort, even host a planning meeting or two. We're still 4 months out, so I'm still not too worried about it at this point.

Modification-wise, my personal plan is to have everything new I want done to the 80 complete before Moab. That way Moab is a shake-down run. Then the time between Moab & Rubithon is more for getting the camping stuff together, figure out how to pack it, etc. But IMO no one should be swapping springs the weekend before then discovering in Grand Junction that you've got driveline vibrations...

Damage-wise, I'm going to do my best to pick good lines, pick good spotters, and go for it. But if I get a dent, I'm going to have a sharpie with me so I can label each one with what obstacle it was on. chicks dig scars.

powderpig
02-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I can post more at a later time, I am currently in training for the TT in cali. Dave your truck is narrower and shorter in length and not as tall. All good things that will work for you compared to a 80 series. The extra weigth of the WN will help with traction. I would not wig out on this. Scott Brady has also taken a double cab short bed with RTT on it in the bed. This truck is alot heavier and wider and a long wheel base. He had 33 on it as well. Catch you later Robbie

DaveInDenver
02-11-2008, 12:42 PM
I can post more at a later time, I am currently in training for the TT in cali. Dave your truck is narrower and shorter in length and not as tall. All good things that will work for you compared to a 80 series. The extra weigth of the WN will help with traction. I would not wig out on this. Scott Brady has also taken a double cab short bed with RTT on it in the bed. This truck is alot heavier and wider and a long wheel base. He had 33 on it as well. Catch you later Robbie
Cool, good to hear. Just sketched over the weekend, tired mostly I think.

waggoner5
02-11-2008, 06:49 PM
As of right now I am in. Mike is still on the fence, but I think he could be easily swayed.....Thinking about towing my 45 out or towing Mikes 40 out or maybe towing both on a 2 place. I'll be there for sure though one way or another.
G

Romer
02-11-2008, 07:10 PM
As of right now I am in. Mike is still on the fence, but I think he could be easily swayed.....Thinking about towing my 45 out or towing Mikes 40 out or maybe towing both on a 2 place. I'll be there for sure though one way or another.
G

That cool Gary. You can haul a bunch of our stuff in the bed of your 45 on top of the radiator

MDH33
02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
G

Any access to a three place? My 40 could use a tow too. :thumb:

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
That's one big group!! Looks like we will a nice mix of rigs there. Kevin, just in case it does make a difference my wife, Sharon, will be coming too. I should also have a RTT and fridge by then.

PS What is Christo driving ??? A 190 it that a concept???

nakman
02-12-2008, 10:47 AM
I think Kevin K is out, he got a new job with no vacation time, so no Moab and no Rubithon for our honorary Canuck. But I expect to have at least one rider from the club, and room for more, preferably someone with a gas card :)

Tom, you still doing a RTT after that whole debate a couple weeks ago? I thought that talked us all out of it..

Tch2fly
02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Please add me to the list as a confirmed (all permissions and vacation time secured ;)).

Initally I thought I would be solo but I may have my son riding along :D

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Tom, you still doing a RTT after that whole debate a couple weeks ago? I thought that talked us all out of it..

I am still very much thinking about it. I spoke to Jon Davis, an old club member a few weeks ago, and he said we should be fine. There may be a few obstacles that could require some assistance and or a pull of a strap but all in all it should be fine.

The biggest thing is just adjusting your driving to your rig. When I used to wheel with the hardtop on it was a little different than with the soft top but you adjust. If there is an area where I may come close to the wall I will deal with it then.

We all got a RTT for the convenience of use and possibly for comfort and safety, why not use them. I plan of putting mine on ASAP and driving/wheeling with it so I can learn and adjust. If I have it before the Trail Leader trip and I can go it will be on top of my truck. If not China man is calling my name.

I am a firm believer in doing instead of reading and as mentioned before we all have different levels of comfort. Dave may skip the trip due to his Wildernest and or gears, that is his comfort level. BUT if a stock J**p and a semi stock FJ Cruiser can make it without to much damage I am pretty sure 90% of our rigs and drivers can make it with or with out a RTT. Donít forget all the rigs that run the trail with a fully loaded roof rack. I have seen pictures of racks with three 5 gallon water cans and 2-3 gas cans on top. Not to mention the gear they stick up there. Nobody mentions that and those racks carry far more weight than a RTT. I think we may have been scared of a little to easy by just reading.

I say get out there and try it, if you don't think it will work fine. Until then you only have theory to go on and that is the theory of someone else with a different rig, skill set and attitude than........................well at least me.

So to answer your question............I am 90% sure we will hit the Rubicon with our RTT on top of the 4Runner!! :cheers:

nakman
02-12-2008, 12:02 PM
While I agree we all could run the trail with the RTT on top, my decision to leave it behind is more for the convenience of not having to deal with it while we're set up camping for two nights. IOW, I want to leave the camping stuff behind and go play... if your tent is stuck to your truck then you're either breaking down camp every day to play, or you're going to be parking your truck. Plus putting my Con Ferr on top allows me to carry some junk up top that I wasn't sure how I was going to fit inside, especially the stuff that leaks like water & gas. I realize the weights between the two may be about equal, +/- 50 pounds, and the RTT may end up being lighter.

Convert
02-12-2008, 12:11 PM
I am in for sure all permission given and time off scheduled. Looks like my father is going to ride along. I will have OBA,Fridge, Shower but no RTT.
Has anyone seen any of the instant type tents ( like the one lexus ben had on Triple Bypass? Any concerns about the snow pack not being melted by Rubithon?

corsair23
02-12-2008, 12:16 PM
How's that look?

I've mildly contemplated taking the 40 but that means trailering it out there and back, trying to get it ready, :blah:, :blah:, :blah:. From what I know of the PPO he set the rig up to run the Rubicon and I think it would be a blast.

But, I'm thinking riding will be WAY :cool:. No worries about damaging my junk and a whole lot of time to watch, learn, take pictures, and then start bugging the group to go again in a few years :thumb:

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
take pictures, and then start bugging the group to go again in a few years :thumb:

Looks like we found our official photographer and video man :rolleyes: Jeff if you get a belt with like 15 holsters you will be able to carry all our cameras. A few video cameras around your neck and we'll be all set.

Thanks for offering.......:thumb:

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
Any concerns about the snow pack not being melted by Rubithon?

If that happens the run will be postponed or canceled. Only happened a couple years that I know of!

nakman
02-12-2008, 02:39 PM
Hey good news, looks like our Canadian friend will be able to roll with us after all! :woot:

waggoner5
02-12-2008, 05:11 PM
I am not sure if we can get Christo to go. Maybe I can get my wife to talk to his wife....... Lake Tahoe is really nice that time of year. I am staying on him though.
G

Uncle Ben
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I am not sure if we can get Christo to go. Maybe I can get my wife to talk to his wife....... Lake Tahoe is really nice that time of year. I am staying on him though.
G

He told me he was considering it but just didn't like the idea of driving out and back. I figure if every starts cheering he'll go! ;) :cool:

Romer
02-12-2008, 05:55 PM
He told me he was considering it but just didn't like the idea of driving out and back. I figure if every starts cheering he'll go! ;) :cool:

Tell him to fly with Bruce, we have plenty of passengers who could drive out there.

Convert
02-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Romer has the RTT found its way to Denver Yet?

Romer
02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Still sitting at Troy's house in Salt Lake waiting for a ride.

RockRunner
02-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Well, if Christo wants to provide the tow rig and trailer I will tow his and mine truck out there. That way he can fly and we'll save some $$ and wear and tear on our tow rig.

What ya think Christo??? I drive and you fly???

Convert
02-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Still sitting at Troy's house in Salt Lake waiting for a ride.

Ken Check with BVB I know his son is making a road trip to Salt Lake not sure when

Convert
02-28-2008, 04:54 PM
WooHooo :woot: Got a package from fed ex today I am currently chillin some # 6 in it

mtncrsr
03-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Registration will begin soon! You can, however, register late, clear up to June 1.
OK....I skimmed back and this looks like the list....please correct or update!

1.Timm B. - 40!
2.Martin - 40
3.Matt F. - 80
4.Tim N. + Kevin K.+1(?) - 80 OBA,RTT?
5.Dan R. - 80 OBA, fridge, RTT?
6.Kevin + Terry(?) - 80 w/fridge, shower, RTT, Terry Bike
7.Dave B. - 40 w/fridge, shower, OBA, welder (still no confirmation! )
8.Kim B. - 40 fridge. shower, OBA (still no confirmation! )
9.Wes - 70 fridge, TURBO!
11. Gary CW - FZJ-45
10.Tom R. - mini
12. Ken R. + Rachel - 80 fridge, shower?
13? Surprise guest - 80
14? Treeroot - 40
15? Christo - 190
16? Dave A. - mini
17??Robin and Ty- 80 fridge, shower
18?Chris H. - 40 or ride
19?Bruce L. ? or ride
Matt M. - rider
Corsair23 - Rider

How's that look?

Good morning. My name is Loren, TLCA #3089, I live in west Arvada and I spoke with Chris Hatfield last night on the phone regarding going to Rubithon. This is my first time on a bulletin board so I apologize in advance for any posting faux pas. I have always dreamed of running the Rubicon and am planning on going to Rubithon this year. Is there a possibility of hooking up with you guys for the trip? I have a friend who works for a call hauler company. He mentioned that getting a group together may yield a good savings. As of yet I have not even begun to explore prices as I do not know what interest there may be.

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Good morning. My name is Loren, TLCA #3089, I live in west Arvada and I spoke with Chris Hatfield last night on the phone regarding going to Rubithon. This is my first time on a bulletin board so I apologize in advance for any posting faux pas. I have always dreamed of running the Rubicon and am planning on going to Rubithon this year. Is there a possibility of hooking up with you guys for the trip? I have a friend who works for a call hauler company. He mentioned that getting a group together may yield a good savings. As of yet I have not even begun to explore prices as I do not know what interest there may be.

Welcome Loren! Absolutely!!! There are a few folks on the fence line trying to decide is hauling or driving would be their best choices. If you could snoop into that and post up some info I think you would instantly have several new "best" friends! ;) What do you drive and have you ever done Rubicon before?

Tch2fly
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
:( Still haven't made the list despite two posts saying I plan to go (I know, I know there are tons of posts in the thread ;) )

I'm planning to go:D

RockRunner
03-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Loren,

If the car hauler option is close to the price of towing I would definitely consider it. Please let me know what kind of prices you come up with and the details. I would much rather have my truck delivered than tow it.

PS by all means join us, the more the..........well you know :thumb:

Uncle Ben
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
:( Still haven't made the list despite two posts saying I plan to go (I know, I know there are tons of posts in the thread ;) )

I'm planning to go:D

I am soooooooo sorry! I did hear ya but sometimes the steel plate in my head bouces the info right off! :rolleyes: :homer:

powderpig
03-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Hello Loren:
It may be in your and the groups interest to go on a outing or two with the club members to meet them and see how good a fit would be as well. I think some of the group will be doing Chinaman's glutch with some of the equipment they plan on bringing out to the Rubicon. This is a great way to see what may work or what may not work for the trip on the rubicon. Some other trails that would help prepare you or any club member is Holy Cross as well. good luck robbie

Tch2fly
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I am soooooooo sorry! I did hear ya but sometimes the steel plate in my head bouces the info right off! :rolleyes: :homer:

No problem :thumb:

mtncrsr
03-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Welcome Loren! Absolutely!!! There are a few folks on the fence line trying to decide is hauling or driving would be their best choices. If you could snoop into that and post up some info I think you would instantly have several new "best" friends! ;) What do you drive and have you ever done Rubicon before?

I will try to find out pricing on the car hauler. I know the price is dependent upon the number of vehicles. If there are enough to fill the hauler, I'm sure that it will be cheaper but I will check into that.

I have a quasi '67 FJ40, I guess most people understand what that means. I have never done the Rubicon but have dreamed of doing it for many years. My cruiser has been over it several times under the previous owner. He lived in Placerville and had ample opportunity.

mtncrsr
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Hello Loren:
It may be in your and the groups interest to go on a outing or two with the club members to meet them and see how good a fit would be as well. I think some of the group will be doing Chinaman's glutch with some of the equipment they plan on bringing out to the Rubicon. This is a great way to see what may work or what may not work for the trip on the rubicon. Some other trails that would help prepare you or any club member is Holy Cross as well. good luck robbie

It has been a few years, 7?, since I first wheeled with some members of Rising Sun. I somehow met up with Rob Merideth and Bruce ? to do Holy Cross. It was the first time that Rob and I had made it up the section above the city. A couple of years later I ran into Rob and Dave Brown up on Holy Cross. Rob had broken his tie-rod and Dave was trying to weld it with the welder he had installed the night before. I loaned him some dark sunglasses and my cold chisel and we all had fun till it broke again on the way down. Last fall I did Chinaman's. What a fun trail!

Romer
03-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Rachel and I are still in. Still ? on the shower, the shower I have is questionable, I might put in one of the truck systems

bh4rnnr
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Rachel and I are still in. Still ? on the shower, the shower I have is questionable, I might put in one of the truck systems

What about one of these (http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/helton.html)?

Romer
03-03-2008, 07:18 PM
A friend of mine who wrecked his 80 has a twain system. I might get that.

RockRunner
03-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I will try to find out pricing on the car hauler. I know the price is dependent upon the number of vehicles. If there are enough to fill the hauler, I'm sure that it will be cheaper but I will check into that.

I am sure more people will chime in later. I would think we could fill a hauler with some 40's and or mini's. I would ask him the cost for a full load and then we can go from there.

Uncle Ben
03-04-2008, 01:29 PM
A friend of mine who wrecked his 80 has a twain system. I might get that.

The system I have is the full R&M system. I have had it for quite a while as it was planned on going into the 40 at some point. I have the exchanger installed but just need to install the Sureflo pump and hardware and get the quick discos added into my front bumper.

MDH33
03-04-2008, 01:37 PM
I'm still planning on this trip. If the car hauler becomes an option, I'm up for that, otherwise I'll be driving the 40. My TC is sounding pretty bad and I'm hoping to upgrade/rebuild prior to Moab this year. Problem is finding the time to do it myself or the $$ to have someone else do it. I'll keep you posted. If the TC doesn't get some attention soon, Moab may be out. :o

Convert
03-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I am in, looks like I have a rider also. OBA,Fridge,Shower,Toilet and a nice galley for cookin, looks like I need to hook up with some one with some shelter.

Romer
03-04-2008, 09:30 PM
The system I have is the full R&M system. I have had it for quite a while as it was planned on going into the 40 at some point. I have the exchanger installed but just need to install the Sureflo pump and hardware and get the quick discos added into my front bumper.

The Twain is the heat exchanger, I would need to get everything else,

mtncrsr
03-05-2008, 08:54 AM
[QUOTE=mtncrsr;64715]I will try to find out pricing on the car hauler. I know the price is dependent upon the number of vehicles. If there are enough to fill the hauler, I'm sure that it will be cheaper but I will check into that.

Well I called on the car hauler from Denver to Placerville. Holy Cow! For an open carry truck they want $5900 one way! Ouch! The problem is that they think that only 3 maybe 4 vehicles will carry on one truck due to the lift kits and oversized tires. They don't think that any rigs can be placed on the top level as it will break the maximum height restrictions required by DOT. It would be a bummer to scrape off the top of a rig going through one of the tunnnels. Sorry guys I thought that I could do better than that. So who all is driving out or towing their rig and is it possible to tag along?

timmbuck2
03-05-2008, 09:06 AM
probably could put smaller tires on for the trip??

[QUOTE=mtncrsr;64715]I will try to find out pricing on the car hauler. I know the price is dependent upon the number of vehicles. If there are enough to fill the hauler, I'm sure that it will be cheaper but I will check into that.

Well I called on the car hauler from Denver to Placerville. Holy Cow! For an open carry truck they want $5900 one way! Ouch! The problem is that they think that only 3 maybe 4 vehicles will carry on one truck due to the lift kits and oversized tires. They don't think that any rigs can be placed on the top level as it will break the maximum height restrictions required by DOT. It would be a bummer to scrape off the top of a rig going through one of the tunnnels. Sorry guys I thought that I could do better than that. So who all is driving out or towing their rig and is it possible to tag along?

nakman
03-05-2008, 09:24 AM
probably could put smaller tires on for the trip??

Or just let all the air out.. that's still a ton of money though, wow :eek:.

MDH33
03-05-2008, 09:33 AM

Might be cheaper to fly out and buy a rig there. :eek: :D

timmbuck2
03-05-2008, 09:36 AM
I am still going but not sure what truck to take...if I get the 40 built up it would be awesome...except for the dozens of hours in the seat. :eek: Would definitely need a new drivers seat. I would think the 80 would need more than a 2.5 inch lift, sliders, 33s, front and rear bumpers? Now if I could just buy my old 80 back...he IS thinking of selling it....

Uncle Ben
03-05-2008, 09:41 AM

You also still have to have a secure storage lot to drop them off and pick them up from! You also need to consider that you still have to get there somehow so pitching in on fuel, food and lodging has to be in your bottom line!

DaveInDenver
03-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Event dates are 6/18-22/2008, right? My leave request is going in today for Monday 6/16/08 through Wednesday 6/25/08. One of the legs I'm taking my time and seeing some stuff along the way, so I might adjust the days later but I want to make sure to get some time off.

RockRunner
03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Event dates are 6/18-22/2008, right? My leave request is going in today for Monday 6/16/08 through Wednesday 6/25/08. One of the legs I'm taking my time and seeing some stuff along the way, so I might adjust the days later but I want to make sure to get some time off.

You are correct.

RockRunner
03-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Might be cheaper to fly out and buy a rig there. :eek: :D

$5900 one way x2 = 11,800 for three trucks = $4000 per truck That is a nice 40 or 60 in the CO market.

I figured for the trip we will be making we will travel about 3000 miles RT. This is driving from here to Stinson Beach and other sites around the are.

Using 12 miles per gallon and $4.00 we will be spending $1000 on fuel.............WOW.:eek: That is still much better than this particular transport.

And as UB mentioned you still need to get there and all the other items needed.

I think driving your own rig is about the only way to go unless you know somebody with a 1 ton and a trailer like Christo. Then still only two trucks.

Looks like driving it is for me at least...........:(

mtncrsr
03-05-2008, 04:19 PM
I can't swing the truck hauler at those rates so I will probably be driving my 40 out unless I can find a truck and trailer.

Is there a comprehensive list of things to bring for doing this trip? Must haves and things that would be nice to have?

Hulk
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Interesting. With enough guys driving 40s, maybe I should just bring mine. :D

MDH33
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Interesting. With enough guys driving 40s, maybe I should just bring mine. :D

Yes! The more the merrier, especially 40's. :thumb:

Rock Dog
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
I am no longer going to Brazil because of Visa issues (and yes i have heard all the master card jokes).. So i am trying to make it as well. I plan to register and see if the Squeaky Gold runner can make it :D:D

Romer
03-05-2008, 06:12 PM
I am no longer going to Brazil because of Visa issues (and yes i have heard all the master card jokes).. So i am trying to make it as well. I plan to register and see if the Squeaky Gold runner can make it :D:D

Glad you can make it.:thumb:

Shark Bait
03-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Are going to get together and do a little planning?

I'm debating buying a fridge. If we're going to share a couple of fancy toilets, that's great. The shower seems like a cool idea. Is that the kind of thing that is shareable? Do we have to bring water or do we get water out of the lake?

I'll have to check my tent and air out my sleeping bag. Any idea what the temps usually are there at night that time of year?

nakman
03-06-2008, 08:52 AM

I'm debating buying a fridge. If we're going to share a couple of fancy toilets, that's great. The shower seems like a cool idea. Is that the kind of thing that is shareable? Do we have to bring water or do we get water out of the lake?

I'll have to check my tent and air out my sleeping bag. Any idea what the temps usually are there at night that time of year?

I'll share a shower with you buddy.. ;) ;)

:eek:

Uncle Ben
03-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Showers are definatly not needed in every rig. However, since OBshower use engine heat exchange shower time should be planned so the vehicle doesn't need to be heated up randomly. I do have a portable Zodi also that might aid in conserving gasoline, although that means more propane. Fridges are a great thing to have anytime so if you've got the money and are debating need start watching e-bay and Craigslist but be prepared to act quick as they don't last long! I think I am going to buck up for a Pett system too as it is something that would get used a lot all year long.

MDH33
03-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm still in. I'll be bringing my minimalist essentials including tent, camp stove and sleeping bag. I don't mind being a dirt-boy and not showering for several days. Used to it from lots of backpacking trips and my :Princess: won't be along to tell me I'm gross. :)

elliott
03-06-2008, 11:14 AM
Count me in at this time. I have wanted to wheel the Rubicon since I started wheeling ten years ago. I have a 85 mini truck.

I just joined the club last night.

John Elliott

Shark Bait
03-06-2008, 12:10 PM
I'll share a shower with you buddy.. ;) ;)

:eek:

Only if we're both wearing our Speedo's. :eek::lmao:

powderpig
03-06-2008, 03:15 PM
The last two years has been shorts and button shirt during the day and long pants and shirt with a light jacket at night. Some little flying, biting things at night and early morning. Tony T has a stand there will be no snow(some years it has been snow and water on the trail). I think you will have to play the wait and see thing, pack for the worse and be thankful for the good.

nakman
03-06-2008, 03:56 PM
The last two years has been shorts and button shirt during the day and long pants and shirt with a light jacket at night

Is that a button-down shirt, or are polos ok? And at night do we need to wear a tie too or just the long pants & jacket at dinner? I had no idea the Rubithon had such a country club atmosphere, but I've never wheeled in California before, so glad I know now! :)

timmbuck2
03-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Is that a button-down shirt, or are polos ok? And at night do we need to wear a tie too or just the long pants & jacket at dinner? I had no idea the Rubithon had such a country club atmosphere, but I've never wheeled in California before, so glad I know now! :)

black tie optional???

powderpig
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
OK smart a$$. I do not like TEE Shirts, You have seen the FJTT shirts and pants. Just for you I will talk to Tony and see if we can have a TUX night at the maurder bar on Fri.

RockRunner
03-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Only if we're both wearing our Speedo's. :eek::lmao:

That's it I am out!!!!!:eek::eek:

RockRunner
03-06-2008, 05:14 PM

It's all those 80's and 100's showing up, with the influx of the Lexus they are looking at Black Tie...........:lmao::lmao:

Convert
03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
OK smart a$$. I do not like TEE Shirts, You have seen the FJTT shirts and pants. Just for you I will talk to Tony and see if we can have a TUX night at the maurder bar on Fri.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:That's funny I don't care who you are. Looks like Nak needs a tux :thumb:

mtncrsr
03-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I will be bringing my 40. I'm sure that I have met some of you along time ago at a wheel bearing packing party at a guys shop off of Santa Fe north of Mississippi. I would sure enjoy getting together again to become re-acquainted and meet new friends.

I would also like to know what all I need to bring for this trip as this is my first time running the Rubicon. I don't have a fridge or shower or one of those fancy toillets that I think are required. I do have camping / backpacking gear.

Hulk
03-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Here is the official registration form for Rubithon 2008. This is the same form that just came out in the new issue of Toyota Trails.

When you fill it out, there is one thing we all need to do the same:
On Run Preference, please check Option 9 and circle "Rising Sun." That way Tony will know that you are with our group.

Uncle Ben
03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Thank you Matt! :thumb::thumb:

Romer
03-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Says ALL vehicles must have personal toilet. Thats OK, daughterofromer didn't want to share that with you guys anyways.

60wag
03-09-2008, 08:01 AM
Registration question - it looks like 100$ cover registration (meals) for 2 people, right? 200$ includes meals for 2 and a tshirt and hoodie, or is that 2 shirts and 2 hoodies? Then it says, "and more" for the premier reg. Any guess what the "and more " is?

I also noticed a check box for raffle donations. Do we want to come up with a Rising Sun donation for the raffle?

edit - ok so I read it again.... two t shirts, 1 hoodie, a tlca reg and a raffle ticket for 200$

AxleIke
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
I am giving serious thought to coming to this.

Gas isn't getting cheaper, and I really want to run this trail.

Objections?

nakman
03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Do it, man! Timing couldn't be worse for me right now, but I'm still all in at this point. Now sure when we'll have the opportunity to do this again, with such a great group.

corsair23
03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Do it, man! Timing couldn't be worse for me right now, but I'm still all in at this point. Now sure when we'll have the opportunity to do this again, with such a great group.

x2 on all points - Who knows when another opportunity like this will come around!

On the registration...Is the registration per vehicle or per person? Not sure if I'm supposed to register myself even though I'm not going to be driving. That's a bummer about the toilets as that will certainly add to the expense for everyone. Might be a good time to look into those card board or hitch toilets mentioned in the PETT toilet thread Nakman started.

Uncle Ben
03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
x2 on all points - Who knows when another opportunity like this will come around!

On the registration...Is the registration per vehicle or per person? Not sure if I'm supposed to register myself even though I'm not going to be driving. That's a bummer about the toilets as that will certainly add to the expense for everyone. Might be a good time to look into those card board or hitch toilets mentioned in the PETT toilet thread Nakman started.

We have to get a vote of approval from the membership but there is enough cheap fold up seats that we have in the trailer from CM that those without can probably borrow one. We can set up and use the nicer ones but it would cover the requirements!

60wag
03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
It looks to me that the registration covers one truck and two people.

Convert
03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
It looks to me that the registration covers one truck and two people.

That is how I read the registration

Hulk
03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I just sent Tony a message asking for clarification.

corsair23
03-09-2008, 10:02 PM
We have to get a vote of approval from the membership but there is enough cheap fold up seats that we have in the trailer from CM that those without can probably borrow one. We can set up and use the nicer ones but it would cover the requirements!

:thumb: - Good idea...Glad someone around here is thinking :D

I just sent Tony a message asking for clarification.

Thanks Matt. I would assume it is like CM that registration is per vehicle (with some additional $$ for passengers) rather than per person but other than the hints (2 dinners, etc.) it wasn't real clear.

Uncle Ben
03-10-2008, 06:07 AM
Matt,
Your routes posted on the planning stages are spot on! I-80 route is very quick and I guess I just do not see why driving a 40 or mini that way is such a big deal? That has been done since 1958 when the first American Cruiser hit our shores! Heaven forbid we save any fuel in the Luxowagons by not doing 80-90 all the way! :eek:

DaveInDenver
03-10-2008, 07:51 AM

I don't think it matters much for our leg of the trip, but I have been told that the mini likely will be Dave and Kirsten! So gentlemen, the fairer sex contingent is reinforced.

Romer
03-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Dan's last name is Busey

Hulk
03-10-2008, 09:04 AM
FROM TONY TWIDDY:

Passengers are covered by truck/driver. If they have specific wants, they need to let their driver know (like shirt size, etc).

T

MDH33
03-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Are there limits to group size?

RockRunner
03-10-2008, 09:21 AM
Kevin,

We are in 100%, I am looking for a fridge and maybe a shower. I have OBA and will have a power inverter by then (1000+-)

I would like to "borrow" one of the RS toilets if possible, I looked them up on eBay and they run about $25-30 shipped. Don't mind buying one but I would most likely never use it again.

Hulk
03-10-2008, 10:01 AM
MORE FROM TONY TWIDDY:

The $100 registration fee includes food for two people but no shirts.
The $200 registration fee includes food for two, plus 2 t-shirts and 1 hoodie, plus an additional year of TLCA membership.

Often, the PP is the better deal.

Convert
03-10-2008, 07:35 PM
OK,
We created a new sub forum for this trip. Here is the list right now. Please post up any corrections on this list and it will get moved to the new home. If there is a question mark by your name I am not clear on your intentions. The time is here to quit chatting and start getting organized! Use this thread for Rubithon chat and what-if's but lets keep the new thread clean and factual!

Registration has begun! (form will be added here shortly) You can, however, register late, clear up to June 1.
Bold print is confirmed information

1.Timm B. - 40!
2.Martin - 40
3.Matt F & Jeff z. - 80 w/fridge
5.Dan R. - 80 OBA, fridge, RTT?
6.Kevin + Terry(?) - 80 w/fridge, shower, toilet, Terry Bike
7.Quiggles - 4rnnr
8.Tom R. +1 - mini w/OBA
10. Mike W.+1 - FZJ80
11. Ken R. + Rachel - 80 fridge, shower, toilet
12 Dave & Kirsten - mini
13?. Gary CW - FZJ-45
14? Dan Busey - 80
15? Treeroot - 40
16? Christo - 190
17? Loren ????????
18?Chris H. - 40 or ride
Bruce L.- Fly in & ride
Matt M. - rider

I am in + 1 80 fridge,shower and toilet:thumb:

Shark Bait
03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm in. I got the time off work officially. My 40 has OBA. I'm considering a fridge. I will send in my application soon. I would be happy to take a rider. It would help to split fuel costs. :D

Uncle Ben
03-11-2008, 10:30 AM
I have seen a couple references but Nakman, who is going with you? Kevanook or Bruce or both?

subzali
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm confirming I am in, but I would like to try and nail down who I'm riding with. It sounds like the plan is to leave either Sunday or Monday (sounds like Monday to me), get out there Tuesday afternoon/evening, register etc. and get going Wed. morning on our run, then I was hoping to start driving back Sunday night and be back home some time Monday so I can get back to work Tuesday! Anyone who still has an empty seat without doubling or tripling up on passengers who has that time schedule willing to let me on board?

MDH33
03-11-2008, 12:15 PM
I'm confirming I am in, but I would like to try and nail down who I'm riding with. It sounds like the plan is to leave either Sunday or Monday (sounds like Monday to me), get out there Tuesday afternoon/evening, register etc. and get going Wed. morning on our run, then I was hoping to start driving back Sunday night and be back home some time Monday so I can get back to work Tuesday! Anyone who still has an empty seat without doubling or tripling up on passengers who has that time schedule willing to let me on board?

Drive your 40 dude! :thumb:

subzali
03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
And park it where? Not taking it on the Rubicon, and if not taking it on Rubicon, would rather drive the red truck :p: - so I'll just ride.

MDH33
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
And park it where? Not taking it on the Rubicon, and if not taking it on Rubicon, would rather drive the red truck :p: - so I'll just ride.

Like Wes said, if stock FJ Cruisers can run it... your 40 should have no problem. I'm hoping mine is capable enough, and you're a better driver too.

If you are going to ride, I'll likely have a seat open if none of the posh wagons have room. :hill:

nakman
03-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I have seen a couple references but Nakman, who is going with you? Kevanook or Bruce or both?

Do I have to declare my riders? :D

Actually I'm thinking of putting my 3rd rows back in.. then will try to get the grab handle:rider ratio closer to 1:1.

Uncle Ben
03-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Do I have to declare my riders? :D

Actually I'm thinking of putting my 3rd rows back in.. then will try to get the grab handle:rider ratio closer to 1:1.

1st time I did Rubicon was in a rear LA Locker equipped 40 on N78-15's! But then again at that time I was at par with most of the vehicles doing that kind of stuff and the rigs with REALLY big tires had managed to fit 33's on their rigs! Brahma could do it without much trouble. There is optional obstacles that Brahma would be under class for but the main trail is really not that bad!

mtncrsr
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I am plannin on going and bringing my 40. The application has been printed off but to whom do I send it and how does the registration fee get to the correct people?
Loren

mtncrsr
03-12-2008, 04:32 PM

I am trying to get my brother-in-law to come on the trip with me but it sounds like if he is able to come he will have to fly out and back. I am considering the same schedule as you have proposed and may have an open seat if you are interested.

Hulk
03-12-2008, 04:43 PM
I am plannin on going and bringing my 40. The application has been printed off but to whom do I send it and how does the registration fee get to the correct people?
Loren

Is there no address on the application? :confused:

Uncle Ben
03-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Is there no address on the application? :confused:

Hmmmm....seems clear as fly specs on a clean mirror to me....;)

mtncrsr
03-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Hmmmm....seems clear as fly specs on a clean mirror to me....;)

My apologies. I was not certain if there was another mode of application for Rising Sun and others from Colorado since it was such a large contingency that was going. Thank you for the clarification and I will get my money sent in pronto.

corsair23
03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
I was not certain if there was another mode of application for Rising Sun and others from Colorado since it was such a large contingency that was going

See post #367 :thumb:

mtncrsr
03-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks! I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.

mtncrsr
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
OK,
We created a new sub forum for this trip. Here is the list right now. Please post up any corrections on this list and it will get moved to the new home. If there is a question mark by your name I am not clear on your intentions. The time is here to quit chatting and start getting organized! Use this thread for Rubithon chat and what-if's but lets keep the new thread clean and factual!

Registration has begun! (form will be added here shortly) You can, however, register late, clear up to June 1.

1.Timm B. - 40!
2.Martin - 40
5.Dan R. - 80 OBA, fridge, shower, toilet
6.Kevin + Terry - 80 w/fridge, shower, toilet, Terry-Bike Registration sent!
7.Quiggles - 4rnnr
8.Tom R. +1 - mini w/OBA
10. Mike W.+1 - FZJ80
11. Chris H. - 40 w/fridge?, toilet
12. Ken R. + Rachel - 80 fridge, shower, toilet
13. Dave & Kirsten - mini

Bruce L.- Fly in & ride
Matt M. - rider

?. Gary CW - FZJ-45
? Dan Busey - 80
? Treeroot - 40
? Christo - 190
? Loren ????????

I just mailed my application and check for Rubithon 2008 today:D

cruiserdan
03-15-2008, 08:52 PM
We are in, provided I can have Sarah's truck ready in time.

I aquired a 95 that is a bit rough around the edges and I need to prepare it. It's box-stock and I will be using Christo's 4 inch suspension, my Stout Equipment front bumper, 35's and Metaltech sliders. I also need to pull the locked axles out of another rig I bought and I need to over-haul them. :blah:

Christo strongly recommended that I trailer it so that we can get home in a timely manner if we break it on the trail. Based on how Sarah plans to drive it I think that is a prudent suggestion. :lmao:

In that case I also need to aquire a trailer. My Dodge/Cummins is more than up to the task if I can find the wheels.

D-

Romer
03-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Here is the official registration form for Rubithon 2008. This is the same form that just came out in the new issue of Toyota Trails.

When you fill it out, there is one thing we all need to do the same:
On Run Preference, please check Option 9 and circle "Rising Sun." That way Tony will know that you are with our group.

Thought it worth a bump as I am filling out my application now.

corsair23
03-16-2008, 04:22 PM
We are in, provided I can have Sarah's truck ready in time.

Way :cool: :thumb:

Convert
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Registration Sent :thumb: Now it's time to get to work!!

DaveInDenver
03-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Bump, registration mailed this morning. May the Cruiser Gods take pity on the mortals with IFS.

treerootCO
03-18-2008, 08:25 AM
OK,

1.Timm B. - 40!
2.Martin - 40
5.Dan R. - 80 OBA, fridge, shower, toilet
6.Kevin + Terry - 80 w/fridge, shower, toilet, Terry-Bike Registration sent!
7.Quiggles - 4rnnr
8.Tom R. +1 - mini w/OBA
10. Mike W.+1 - FZJ80
11. Chris H. - 40 w/fridge?, toilet
12. Ken R. + Rachel - 80 fridge, shower, toilet
13. Dave & Kirsten - mini
14. Loren ???????? registration sent
15. Treeroot - 40/80? checked box 9 on registration...

Bruce L.- Fly in & ride
Matt M. - rider

?. Gary CW - FZJ-45
? Dan Busey - 80
? Christo - 190

I checked box nine on my registration. Still trying to figure out why an additional TLCA registration is included in the Premier Package.

DaveInDenver
03-18-2008, 08:38 AM
I checked box nine on my registration. Still trying to figure out why an additional TLCA registration is included in the Premier Package.
Went with the premier registration and I was just guessing that meant an extension of my membership.

MDH33
03-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Which rig are you taking Mike?

Hulk
03-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Went with the premier registration and I was just guessing that meant an extension of my membership.

Yes, that's the deal. If you buy the premier registration, and you are already a TLCA member, you will get an extra year added to your membership.

Shark Bait
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
Sent in my registration form Sunday and ordered my fridge today. :woot:

Hulk
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Registration has begun! (form will be added here shortly)

Kevin, I created a separate thread for the registration form (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6527) so it will be easier to find.

Uncle Ben
03-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Kevin, I created a separate thread for the registration form (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=6527) so it will be easier to find.

AWESOME! Thanks Matt!

Convert
03-18-2008, 01:40 PM

Chris which fridge did you go with ?

Uncle Ben
03-18-2008, 01:48 PM

Very :cool:! :thumb::thumb:

RockRunner
04-01-2008, 08:54 AM

Yeah what did you get?? I am looking for one, used prefered but if not new.

Shark Bait
04-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Yeah what did you get?? I am looking for one, used prefered but if not new.
Engel 45. Talk to Christo. :D

RockRunner
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Engel 45. Talk to Christo. :D

I take it you did better than out in the wild :rolleyes:

DaveInDenver
04-01-2008, 01:19 PM
I take it you did better than out in the wild :rolleyes:
Yeah, inquiring minds want to know, not that it's in the truck budget at the moment. :-/

corsair23
04-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Group buy through Christo? I'm not really in the market for a fridge yet but heck, if we can save enough to make it worth while to buy now rather than in the future :D

What is the most common size fridge to get :confused:

RockRunner
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I am looking for a 45 or 60, anything bigger than that and my 4Runner is doing wheelies :p: The longest time that I would need the fridge for is about 5-6 days. Besides that it would be for 3-5 day camping trips.

I would like to get one before Moab, CM that is, but if not I can wait a little longer. I am thinking of calling Christo tomorrow as I am only going to be at the meeting for a little while.:(

Convert
04-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I went with the Waeco from here http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/CF-50.htm Same dollars as an Engel and more space also got great reviews in Overland Journal:thumb:

powderpig
04-01-2008, 08:07 PM
We have used the arb 42qt for many adventures for the family(and years). We once even worked two families on our fridge for 7 days. The other family used ice for the non frozen stuff and we had the frozen stuff for 2/3 fridge and other stuff on top. As the days went along we just shifted stuff over to the fridge as the ice melted. I know the B&B Miller bought the big fridge(60qt) it does take a direct connection to a big amp feed if you are thinking of going that direction(almost needs to go direct to the 2nd battery).

The waeco may of gotten a good review, but when I went on training with Scott, it would only work on 110v, it seems like something internal went south. Not to say this will happen, the weaco has some nice features and I am sure you will enjoy it Dan.

bh4rnnr
04-01-2008, 08:29 PM
We have used the arb 42qt for many adventures for the family(and years). We once even worked two families on our fridge for 7 days. The other family used ice for the non frozen stuff and we had the frozen stuff for 2/3 fridge and other stuff on top. As the days went along we just shifted stuff over to the fridge as the ice melted. I know the B&B Miller bought the big fridge(60qt) it does take a direct connection to a big amp feed if you are thinking of going that direction(almost needs to go direct to the 2nd battery).

The waeco may of gotten a good review, but when I went on training with Scott, it would only work on 110v, it seems like something internal went south. Not to say this will happen, the weaco has some nice features and I am sure you will enjoy it Dan.

The Waeco ended up a close second to the National Luna for Overland Journals fridge comparison. Though they had good things to say about all them. A good read if your in the market for a fridge:beer::beer:

nakman
04-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Group buy through Christo? I'm not really in the market for a fridge yet but heck, if we can save enough to make it worth while to buy now rather than in the future :D

What is the most common size fridge to get :confused:

Jeff, check the member's only area.. I did then on my way home said fuggit, called and ordered the Engel 45, which is the most common size. there'll be ice cream sandwiches on wipeout hill this year.. :D

Uncle Ben
04-03-2008, 07:42 AM
OK,

Registration has begun! You can, however, register late, clear up to June 1.

1.Timm B. - 40!
2.Matt F & Jeff z. - 80 w/fridge
3.Tim N. + Kevin K.+1(?) - 80 OBA,RTT?
4.Dan R. - 80 OBA, fridge, shower, toilet
5.Kevin + Terry - 80 w/fridge, shower, toilet, Terry-Bike Registration sent!
6.Quiggles - 4rnnr
7.Tom R. +1 - mini w/OBA
8.Wes - 70 fridge, TURBO!
9. Mike W.+1 - FZJ80
10. Chris H. - 40 w/fridge?, toilet
11. Ken R. + Rachel - 80 fridge, shower, toilet
12. Dave & Kirsten - mini
13. Loren- FJ-40 registration sent
14. Treeroot - 40w?
Bruce L.- Fly in & ride
Matt M. - rider

?. Gary CW - FZJ-45
? Dan Busey - 80
? Christo - 190

Romer
04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I think Mike should bring his 80 so he can light up our campsite with all the LED's