PDA

View Full Version : Rubithon 2008

Pages : [1] 2

ginericLC
07-05-2007, 06:25 PM
So I just returned from Rubithon 2007. It was amazing. That is a tough trail that just keeps going and going and going. It is much different than Cruise Moab in terms of how you socialize and how you wheel. It is a lot of fun. Anyway, I ran into Dave Brown up there and he was saying that he was trying to assemble a mob of you from Colorado to head down to Rubithon 2008. I would highly encourage all of you to try to save some time in vacation schedule and try to make the trip. I put on 2950 miles from driveway back to driveway. Obviously that is a lot more than I needed to but we made it into a family vacation and toured San Diego and worked are way up the coast. We hit Legoland the big Zoos in SD, Pismo, SOR, TLC4x4, and a ton of beaches. Gabe and I were gone for 14 days and Ginger flew in to meet us after Rubithon and she was out for 9 days of vacation. The weather was fantastic and I can assure you it is much different than the Rocky Mountain region. I'll be at the Colorado Cruiser Rallye in August. If you are interested I'll show you my photos then, right now they are sort of guarded for TT. It isn't a trip I'd want to make every year but it is a trip that is definitely worth taking. And with it being the 20th I'm sure they will have some special events planned. I know some of the old time TLCA guys are coming in special for this event. I wish I could do it again but I'm not probably going to be able to do it. Anyway, I thought I'd give a plug for a great event.

60wag
07-05-2007, 09:31 PM
It sounds like a blast. I'll bookmark the calender.

Uncle Ben
07-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Rubithon is a kick in the tail! I'll go!

subzali
07-05-2007, 10:41 PM
If I have enough PTO by then I'll try and go! I am hoping to meet some of the old timers since it's going to be the 20th Ann.!

nakman
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
I'm definitely in, been talking to Dave & a few others about it and am very excited to do this. I know my truck can do it, but is it a good run for families? Or would they have more fun flying to Reno to be picked up when it's all over?

Subzali, if the latter you can ride out with me man.. what are the dates anyway?

Shark Bait
07-05-2007, 11:55 PM
I'd love to go. My 40 should be ready and Moab tested by then. :D

Uncle Ben
07-06-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm definitely in, been talking to Dave & a few others about it and am very excited to do this. I know my truck can do it, but is it a good run for families? Or would they have more fun flying to Reno to be picked up when it's all over?

Subzali, if the latter you can ride out with me man.. what are the dates anyway?

It is beautiful scenery and many families do it but it is a very long couple days of waiting and wheeling and dust. Tough call. My wife would NOT enjoy it! You can however go into Rubicon Springs before the run and get your wife set up in camp if she doesn't mind camping alone for a couple days. Might be able to organize others who don't want to bounce around for days to stay at Lake Tahoe for a day or two then come into Rubicon Springs via Cadillac Hill to meet up with ya. It also is not uncommon for folks to hike along instead of riding the whole way.

Hulk
07-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I'd like to do this in 2008 as well. Sounds like we'll have a big RS crew.

Convert
07-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I would also like to go in 2008 better start talking to the:Princess:

ginericLC
07-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Families are OK. The trail from Loon to the Springs is long and this year it was dusty. It was abnormally dry this year though. I was told that the trail was actually in pretty rough condition by some of the old timers. Cadillac Hill was the most challenging section of the trail for me. It is really tight in a few spots and it is all up hill. Don't underestimate that section of the trail. It is heavily eroded and it is a steep climb. When you go through Big Sluice you have big rocks and some tight spots but you have gravity working with you. I took Gabe and he was only 4. The swimming at the Springs and Buck Island was great. He really enjoyed that. From Loon to Buck Island is pretty straightforward and the pace is OK. From Buck Island to the Springs had a lot more waiting. However, this isn't a very long hike. Gabe got out when we were waiting and went swimming at Buck along the way, I think he did this 3 times. I would say our run was a little longer than typical as it was wagons (not that there was anything wrong with the vehicles themselves) but we had some inexperienced drivers and we were loaded which makes a huge difference. We also had the FJ Cruisers with us. And there were a few 40s with us with some problems too. We also had the Germans in their turbo diesel 4 Runner with a full tent on top. Bob Bancroft's 60 didn't have a rear locker the whole trail so that slowed him down a little. So we had a loaded slow moving crew. This is much different than Moab or other day trails because you are wheeling fully loaded. I had over 100 extra pounds in just water. I should have weighed my rig. It was sagging in the butt pretty good. We didn't do Marauder Bar or the dinner as I had to get Henry C. to his flight out early Sunday morning so we left Sat. afternoon. I would have gone to Marauder Bar and even taken Gabe, but we had done a hike that day to some waterfalls and Gabe passed out by 8pm. Being sort of a single parent I couldn't really leave him and I didn't want to pack a 45lb kid sleeping both ways. The only thing that was a little freaky for Gabe was Mudrak's Bear Bombs. He lights these huge bombs off to scare away bears. They are loud. Once we got used to that everything was A-OK. We actually slept through a lot of them. I was pretty tired most of the trip. The driving all day and getting like 2 hours of sleep before starting out on the trail didn't really set me up for having extensive energy. Ginger did not go on the trail. She flew into Reno the day after. There were not very many women in camp, but there were plenty of dads with kids. Other than the Germans who were on their honeymoon there wasn't another woman in our group. But if you plan to go as a club you can probably fix the male/female ratio a little.

About the wagons. This is much different than any other trail I've done. I would not suggest taking a really nice wagon on the trail. Heck, I wouldn't recommend taking a really nice 40 on this trail either unless it was equipped well. I made it through basically unscathed. I did a lot of prep work and I got lucky. Most of the other wagons were not so lucky. Damage is likely and probable. Personally, I wouldn't go with less than a 35" tire for any rig. The FJs could have definitely had an easier go at it with larger tires. Robbie as you all know has some phenomenal skills as a driver, spotter, and wrench. I really think the FJs would still be up there if he hadn't been along. He really is that good! But you all knew that already.

I would say Camp is actually less rowdy than Slickrock. You can really spread out so you can find your own space if that is what you want. People generally camp in pods. We camped at the Slabs. The only weird thing is in the middle of the night some folks get the notion that trying these slabs in the middle of the night would be a good thing. I camped on the outer edge of the slabs which wasn't close to where the action was. I watched the first few trucks try it about 11pm and then went to bed and never heard anything else.

I would definitely take my family to this event again. Lots of good people. A scenic trail. And socially it is a different sort of LC experience. I enjoyed our hike to the waterfall above the springs immensely. What is different is that after you get to the Springs you kick back and relax even during the daylight whereas at other events everything is at night. Everyone was so friendly. I mean this guy camped next to us ran out to Tahoe City and stopped and asked if we needed anything. He had a big list. And seeing a 40 loaded with ice in the rear up to the headrests. That was a sight.

The other funny thing that sort of sticks out now is that there were some girls running around selling popscicles right on the trail. Gabe enjoyed that. We aren't fortunate enough to have the ARB fridge/freezer yet. Maybe some day?

When Dave told me he was trying to rally a group to go. I immediately thought to myself. I'll post up and give the event a plug. A lot of you know me and have wheeled with me in Moab and know my perspective would be different than Daves. I think it is a winner of an event no matter what you drive. Just go prepared. It was a lot of fun and if money were no object I'd go every year.

Hulk
07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Eric. Since so few of us have been on this trail, having some insight is great. Dave has said that the trail is non-stop challenges.

nakman
07-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Eric, thanks so much for taking the time to share all of that.. and I definitely hope :robbie: is out there with us next year as well, either as part of the FJ Trail Team, or just a member of our club.. I for one always do a little better when he's around.

Anyone know the dates for this? I want to get this on the calendar soon.. see you at the Rally Eric. :cheers:

Hulk
07-06-2007, 12:57 PM
Anyone know the dates for this? I want to get this on the calendar soon..

I just sent Tony Twiddy a message to see if the dates are set yet.

Rezarf
07-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Stacy and I were talking about doing Rubithon sometime in the next few years, if everyone is heading out next year, we would seriously plan for it too...

Can you say "Lockers!" :D

nakman
07-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Can you say "Lockers!" :D

Can you say, "tow rig?!" :lmao:

Shark Bait
07-06-2007, 02:45 PM

We should look in to a car hauler. It might be a little more expensive, but nicer in the long run. Some of us could conceivably fly out and pick up the trucks, wheel, drop the trucks off and fly home. :eek: :grinpimp:

Three Wheel Ben
07-06-2007, 03:45 PM
I thought only Jeeps and Buggys got towed to the trails:lmao:

We should look in to a car hauler. It might be a little more expensive, but nicer in the long run. Some of us could conceivably fly out and pick up the trucks, wheel, drop the trucks off and fly home. :eek: :grinpimp:

Man Jerk
07-06-2007, 04:29 PM
My other club (MNToyx4's) used to contract a car hauler to haul rigs to the BHCC. I can't remember what the cost was but it wasn't too bad.

I recently found out that my boss has a brother who lives near the Rubicon and he owns a cruiser. We have had some discussions about going out there for some wheeling. We just bought a company truck so the reality of towing my rig out there isn't too far outside of the realm of possibility.

Uncle Ben
07-06-2007, 06:28 PM
I thought only Jeeps and Buggys got towed to the trails:lmao:

Dillys, Browns, Nichols, Fisher and I had 'em hauled last time we went. Pricey but worth it. One thing about transport is you usually have to drop them off at the company a week ahead of time and pick up a few day's after you return. I plan on taking Wildrice.

ginericLC
07-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Dave is 100% correct that it is nonstop obstacles. The only changes in the trail are the severity of the obstacles. It is a fun trail. I hope those of you who make it out there next year enjoy yourselves.

Dave told me about a trip that he did where they drove Red Fox out there and then did a coastal tour (much like ours) afterwards. He said it was one of the best trips of his life. I'm a wimp. I can't imagine doing that in a soft top. I have to say this trip was one of the best trips of my life too.

If you guys ship your rigs I'd just look in your friendly TLCA white pages and find somebody in Reno or Sacramento who would help you out on the receiving and sending. It is probably about 2-2.5 hours to the trailhead from Sacramento. But it would be about the same in any rig as it is a lot of twisty and some two lane. Reno is probably the same or a little more. I'd check shipping rates and airfare and go with whichever was cheapest. The Reno airport is awesome if you are in a hurry. It is a smaller airport and things move very fast. Reno is also a major shipping hub as there are no warehouse taxes, that might help. Porsche NA is located there.

Hulk
07-07-2007, 04:01 PM
From Tony Twiddy:

My RS friends...

It would mean the world to me and your fellow CA TLCA members if you could join us on June 18 - 22, 2008 for the 20th annual Rubithon! This is going to be our Hall of Fame run and we hope to see many familiar faces.

Plus you folks need to bring Dave Brown, Matt Farr and Kevin Ehrlick out here for me. :)

Thanks and start planning now!

Tony Twiddy

bh4rnnr
07-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Man i'd love to go, but don't know if i'll be able to swing it as my friend Greg is getting married in Sept, Spain in the Spring time along with Cruise Moab and the start of the Expedition in October. Plus having to work in the middle of all that... If I can swing it, I will be there with the camera in hand.

Shark Bait
07-07-2007, 04:10 PM
From Tony Twiddy:

Plus you folks need to bring Dave Brown, Matt Farr and Kevin Ehrlick out here for me. :)

You guys in trouble? :lmao:

Hulk
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes. Bail me out?

Rezarf
07-08-2007, 12:12 PM

Nak-

You could just throw a strap on for me and haul me behind your pretty cruiser! I can push you down hill on the pass... that is about it. ;)

Drew

Rezarf
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM

That would be my prefered method of travel.

Hulk
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Car hauler would be a good idea. I'd rather take my 40, but I'm unenthusiastic about driving it to Cali.

Uncle Ben
07-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Car hauler would be a good idea. I'd rather take my 40, but I'm unenthusiastic about driving it to Cali.

I will be taking my 40 and yes it will be riding the trailer.

Lori and I were talking about it and she might stay in Tahoe for the first night (possibly two). I would come out and get her after setting up camp in the Springs.

powderpig
07-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Well guys the trail is a kick in pants and I hope Robin and I will make it next year. Me either particiapting with the Trail teams or just on our own. I did make this trip several years agao with the Nor Cal guys. i took Ty when he was 2.5 years old. Maybe some will remember the articale in Toyota trails a few years ago.
As Eric states if the family members get tired of hanging, they can walk the trail some. The total length I clocked this year for the real hard stuff (damn to over look area on Cadallic hill) was approx 8 mile. This year was drier than last by alot. Making it more dusty. But the views are incrediable and the wheeling real fun. If you take your time and get good spotting, even nice rigs can come out not hurt. The FJ I was driving got a little quarter size dent in the door and scrapped a few of the sticker off.
But it was a pleasure to wheel with the wagons as they did have a different pace on the trail. Well built 40's and mini's and wagons (meaning big tires or little to no body to hit). Just motored right through the trail. Of course the locals make it look real easy(just too much fun for them).
Last year I wheeled my 80 with way more weight than I liked, but still it was a good lesson. The only damage I recieved last year was a dented fuel tank and a slightly dented tranny cross member. My truck last year weighted well over 7200 lbs(normal full loaded is close to 6500 lbs) with all the extra water, food, refershment's and spare parts I carried for the Trail Teams. I had on board over 100 gallons of food and fuel when I started the trip, besdies the food and parts. But the nice thing about a 80 is it's ability to carry more than you think.
Bottom line for me is that it is a wonderful trip and I will make every effort to have the wife drive the 80 out, if I am Trail teams. I do nto know what next year brings for work, so I can not comment on it. If Robin goes it will be with the kids(mccall and ty). Eric could not describe the trip any better. It is a blast.
later Robbie

Uncle Ben
09-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks Wes! I had Wes move this here in event planning so we can get some momentum. Who has written it on the calendar so far and is going to try to make it and what do you plan on driving?

I am and I'll prolly haul out the 40 but then again if enough wagons are going I would do the 80.

Hulk
09-06-2007, 10:46 AM
It's in my calendar. Hopefully I'll be able to go.

MDH33
09-07-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm interested, but not sure about driving my 40 there and back. Not because I think it wouldn't be fun, or that my rig isn't capable, but because of the extra time needed. If a group is going to go in on a car hauler for 40's, I'll seriously consider it. :thumb:

Romer
09-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Tell me why this thread shouldn't make me nervous

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=177928

AxleIke
09-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Whhhoooaaaa.

Dang. I thought this looked pretty fun, and was seriously considering the trip. I'm hoping this is a case of "its the mag's truck, and we need to get some sweet shots for the upcoming issue" and not, "I drove this thing as careful as possible, but to no avail."

Shark Bait
09-18-2007, 12:51 AM

(voice of Elmer Fudd) Be afwaid, be vewy vewy afwaid. :p::eek::D

Hulk
09-18-2007, 09:21 AM
Yikes. Sounds like it is a trail more fit for a 40 than an 80.

treerootCO
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I really wanted to make this trip...

Rezarf
09-18-2007, 10:04 AM
If a group is going to go in on a car hauler for 40's, I'll seriously consider it. :thumb:

If someone can even get me started I can begin looking into 40 haulers on 18 wheelers. I do believe they need your truck well in advance, and then it sits somewhere out in Cali until we get there right?

I'd be happy to look into this, should I look specifically at car haulers or maybe just a trucking company?

Drew

Uncle Ben
09-18-2007, 11:06 AM
If someone can even get me started I can begin looking into 40 haulers on 18 wheelers. I do believe they need your truck well in advance, and then it sits somewhere out in Cali until we get there right?

I'd be happy to look into this, should I look specifically at car haulers or maybe just a trucking company?

Drew

When we did it a few years ago the transporter needed the truck a week early. If you plan it right the truck will get there about the same time you do. Often the return ride is the same day or close to it that you leave. The transports do not travel as fast as you do so you will get your truck a day or two later. I-80 is a major truck route so there are many places to get it delivered. We had ours delivered to Carson City Nevada as Jerry Nichols son in law has a shop there.

There is enough monster diesel 1 tons in the club all that is needed is a transporter trailer or two. If you set that up it will be a whole lot cheaper, although there is some DOT hoops to jump through. I will check and see if the same shop in Carson City might be available for us. It has a large high chain link fenced in yard so our trucks would be safe.

Uncle Ben
09-18-2007, 11:12 AM
Yikes. Sounds like it is a trail more fit for a 40 than an 80.

If you can drive you can do it! I am on the fence about driving my 80 or hauling out the 40. I've never wheeled a wagon on the Con and not having to hassle with hauling the 40 is appealing. Like any trail there is an easy way through a lot of the stuff and several other options of greater difficulty. Don't let forum wheelers scare you! If you can wheel your truck on trails like Holy Cross and Blanca then you can wheel your truck on the Con!

MDH33
09-18-2007, 11:47 AM
I really wanted to make this trip...

What's stopping you? Still lots of time to plan and make it happen! :)

nakman
09-19-2007, 07:41 PM

4wdto quote damage
Here's the damage. Driver flare torn off and subsequent small gash center of photo. Other scrape passenger side. That's it besides front and rear bumper impacts.

I don't see what you're afraid off... you guys are all better drivers, your trucks are set up better, and we've got some great spotters in the club. My 80 is going..

ginericLC
09-20-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't think there was any body damage to 80s on the Wagon run. There was damage to some a 60 on our official run and there was some damage to some 80s but it was prior to the actual run. They ran the trail backwards prior to the official run.

Holy Cross is much tougher technically than Rubithon. That creek crossing is a real bear no matter which line you take. If you can do that and Blanca the Rubicon will be fine. The big obstacle to the Rubicon is your brain. It isn't that the obstacles are that much bigger or badder than other trails. It is that they are continuous. If your brain gets worn down easily it probably isn't the trail for you.

Going with folks who you wheel with all the time is the smartest thing. Having guys who you trust as spotters is a big deal. I only got spotted a few times but it was by Alvaro and Robbie. How could I go wrong? The time I didn't get spotted is when I got hung up but it was due to my own arrogance. Just set your pace and get into a groove where you are comfortable. And I think having friends on the trail adds to being comfortable.

I came out with a scratch on my flare. That was it and that was coming out because I turned too sharp and I rubbed a tree. My underbelly looked great too. No driveshaft dings. I didn't even hit my skid plate once.

I did not do Little Sluice but other than that I hit as many hard lines as I could.

I'd love to go again but my future rig probably won't be ready.

Eric V.

Uncle Ben
09-20-2007, 11:09 AM
I don't think there was any body damage to 80s on the Wagon run. There was damage to some a 60 on our official run and there was some damage to some 80s but it was prior to the actual run. They ran the trail backwards prior to the official run.

Holy Cross is much tougher technically than Rubithon. That creek crossing is a real bear no matter which line you take. If you can do that and Blanca the Rubicon will be fine. The big obstacle to the Rubicon is your brain. It isn't that the obstacles are that much bigger or badder than other trails. It is that they are continuous. If your brain gets worn down easily it probably isn't the trail for you.

Going with folks who you wheel with all the time is the smartest thing. Having guys who you trust as spotters is a big deal. I only got spotted a few times but it was by Alvaro and Robbie. How could I go wrong? The time I didn't get spotted is when I got hung up but it was due to my own arrogance. Just set your pace and get into a groove where you are comfortable. And I think having friends on the trail adds to being comfortable.

I came out with a scratch on my flare. That was it and that was coming out because I turned too sharp and I rubbed a tree. My underbelly looked great too. No driveshaft dings. I didn't even hit my skid plate once.

I did not do Little Sluice but other than that I hit as many hard lines as I could.

I'd love to go again but my future rig probably won't be ready.

Eric V.

Eric you took my future post right out of my fingers! ;) The Rube is in your face wheeling for two and a half days! You get mentally drained of picking lines, eating dust and dealing with egos! Best fatigue you'll ever experience! Wagons have a huge advantage mainly from the butt comfort and the amount of creature comforts you can pack for camping! A 40 is tight on how much you can pack in! Things like extra fuel need to be planned as if it's not carried on the exterior then it is taking up precious cargo room! Coolers are also an issue as you have to be creative on how to sustain your ice for 4 days! Fridges rule unless you have an electrical/mechanical failure of some kind that disables/prevents use of your fridge. It is best if your traveling as a group of friends to coordinate what each vehicle carries for your camp or trail repairs.

Uncle Ben
09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Soooo......... I believe I have decided to take the 80 to next years Con as I want the wagon comfort and challenge. I trying to decide who's in? I did post up on our fine neighbors to the north and south and neither seem too interested. I was really hoping we could get enough together to have our own run but I'm feeling there is only gonna be 3 or 4 of us? I think I will invite our good friends in SLC too. Comments, verbal abuse, be-atch slapping?....anyone? :confused:

girlsfj40
09-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I made it through the Rubicon with my 40 on 33's and had no body damage. I also hauled out with Uncle Ben and it was not a problem at all. Everyone that can go to Cali should it is a great trip!

treerootCO
09-22-2007, 09:22 PM
What's stopping you? Still lots of time to plan and make it happen! :)

I would hate to cause any more tension than I already have.

Convert
09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
I am planning on going :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-23-2007, 10:27 AM
So far the probable list is:

Martin - 40 ? (transport)
Matt F. - 40 or 80 ?
Tim N. - 80
Dan R. - 80
Drew - 40
Kevin - 80
Robbie - 80 (if he's not TT)
Dave B. - 40
Kim B. - 40
BVB - 80 or 62

Not a bad list so far! We can do this! I will see if we can get the place in Carson City for transport drop off/tow vehicle security.

Romer
09-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Tim said he is going.

I'm on the fence. 2 days to get there, 3 days on trails and 2 days to get back. Lots of Butt in the seat time

Uncle Ben
09-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Tim said he is going.

I'm on the fence. 2 days to get there, 3 days on trails and 2 days to get back. Lots of Butt in the seat time

Thanks on Tim....had to re-read posts. If it helps it's only 1 1/2 day drive away! But you missed one day at Rubicon Springs.

nakman
09-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Yes yes yes. Also our Commander Hulk has expressed some interest, not sure how much arm twisting is still required though.

MDH33
09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I said I was game as well IF there's a group that plans on hauling 40's somehow. :thumb:

Uncle Ben
09-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I said I was game as well IF there's a group that plans on hauling 40's somehow. :thumb:

I made a couple calls. The transport company that we used last time might still be available AND the place in Carson City was sold recently but we might still be able to use it. I will know both answers soon.....

Convert
09-23-2007, 03:42 PM
BVB is also is planning on going

girlsfj40
09-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Well Im sure anyone that knows Redfox knows we are going. I am leaning towards a transport for the 40. I am supposed to graduate roughly around the same time as we will be leaving for the Rubicon so any way to get my rig there faster... :)

Uncle Ben
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Note back from Twitty...
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hey Kevin... well this is great and exciting news!

As you might know, next year is TLCA 20th Rubithon, and we are calling it the Hall of Fame run as you will be here! OK, not really, but because Bob Garrett and George Rice are supposed to attend, and with many well known TLCA contributors such as yourself and Dave Brown, we are hoping to celebrate both TLCA History, and the folks that made it happen.

Quite a few of us here in CA are also planning to attend CM in 2008.

As far as run, you folks can fill up a formal group, or perhaps we can have you enter in your own group. Lets wait on that see how many make it, and what day you will be ready here in CA.

thanks Kevin (Bill Smith... still makes me laugh)

Tony

Hulk
09-26-2007, 01:45 AM
Yes yes yes. Also our Commander Hulk has expressed some interest, not sure how much arm twisting is still required though.

I'm planning on it. Still not sure whether I'll bring the 80 or the 40. The upside to the 80 is that I can drive all the way out there, wheel, and drive back. And with just a little more lift, I can run 315s and be cool like UB, Romer, Nakman.

Hulk
09-26-2007, 01:50 AM
I would hate to cause any more tension than I already have.

Speaking for myself, your presence causes me no tension or stress. I'd love to have you as part of the group. And, hell, I'd love to have you as my passenger if you don't want to wheel. You should plan on this trip, dude. Quit beating yourself up, and do what you love.

nakman
09-26-2007, 10:17 AM
I'm planning on it. Still not sure whether I'll bring the 80 or the 40. The upside to the 80 is that I can drive all the way out there, wheel, and drive back. And with just a little more lift, I can run 315s and be cool like UB, Romer, Nakman.

Don't forget the 4.88's and a trip to Ben's house.. :D

BTW :kevin: you are required to spend the $14 and one hour and upgrade that CB of yours for this... think of the caravan, man :cool:

MDH33
09-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I was wondering about the equipment requirements for the Rubicon and I saw that front and rear lockers are recommended. Would it be worthwhile to drop another aussie locker in my front diff prior to the trip?? (can't afford an ARB). :o

Hulk
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Still cheaper than the plan I have in my head for the next iteration of my FJ40. And I can get all the 80 stuff done without heavy fabrication. :)

treerootCO
09-26-2007, 12:07 PM
and don't forget to ask your new employer for the time off now. ;)

Hulk
09-26-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about that. :)

RedFox
09-26-2007, 11:53 PM
Rubicon 08

Gail & I have been to the 8 or 9 times. We have both driven "Red Fox" and used a trailer. I prefer using the trailer, its handy if someone breaks. We would usually arrive a day early and stay at Meeks Bay CG in South Lake Tahoe. Its very scenic. Its about a 1-1/2 hour drive to the trailhead.

The weather varies year to year. Last year it was dry & dusty. There have been times when your going through snow drifts, & flooded streams. Since your tent camping, you need camp gear. It always cools off at night. You need to pack all your food, water & ice. I found that it helps to freeze half you water bottles. I recommend that you bring mosquito repellant, small shovel, bucket to haul H2o, toiletries, hand cleaner, sanitizer, bio-degradable soap & folding chairs for the raffle. Rubicon Springs does have out houses, but no showers or store. Some people have solar shower or vehicle showers. "Red Fox" has a R&M vehicle shower, which is available to RS participants.
(The girls shower in their swim suits).

Once in Rubicon Springs if you go over to the Slabs you will find families playing in the water. Swinging from a rope and dropping in the water, floating in inner tubes, just having a ball.

Breakage repairs are done on the trail. Bring spare parts, tools & fluids. I recommend at a MINIMUM you should have a rear locker, 33" tires & rock sliders. Kim & I run front & rear lockers & 35" tires.

Don't be afraid to ask for a spot from an experienced spotter, & follow his directions. This year Tony had several spotters positioned on Cadillac Hill on Sunday. They kept the traffic moving & reduced breakage. He also had everyone sign up for a specified departure time, this eliminated a traffic jam.

This is a memorable event. Hope to see you there. ..... Red Fox

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM

BTW :kevin: you are required to spend the $14 and one hour and upgrade that CB of yours for this... think of the caravan, man :cool:

Hmmmm....I responded to this post a while back but it must not have materialized in the transporter....

I questioned why I would need to upgrade my CB when (many can testify) I have no issues with my CB getting out and touching someone. I could add the magic box I had in Long Grain but then my good friend 3 Dog will not be happy with my choices and I wouldn't want them PO'ed at me!
If'n you talking crazy ham radio license schtuff....:blah:....I can't hear you...:homer:

nakman
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
If'n you talking crazy ham radio license schtuff........I can't hear you...

Yup, time to pull the cotton out of those old school ears of yours.. :lmao:

Uncle Ben
10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Yup, time to pull the cotton out of those old school ears of yours.. :lmao:

Damn....I hate peer pressure! OK...pass it here...I'll take a hit.... :smokin: Oops....wrong forum.. :eek: ........:homer::dunno:

Uncle Ben
10-16-2007, 09:16 PM
Bump to keep it in YOUR thoughts.... :thumb:

nakman
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I put in for my vacation request today... Monday June 16 through Tuesday June 24. Official Rubithon dates are June 18-22, so that gives me 2 days on either side, plus the weekend before to pack.

MDH33
11-08-2007, 10:54 PM
I still really want to do this run but I 've missed that past couple of meetings due to some personal stuff that happens in life. Who's going and is anyone planning on trailering 40's or maybe a slow-mo 40 caravan?

:thumb:

Uncle Ben
11-09-2007, 01:34 AM
I still really want to do this run but I 've missed that past couple of meetings due to some personal stuff that happens in life. Who's going and is anyone planning on trailering 40's or maybe a slow-mo 40 caravan?

:thumb:

The Grandfolks will DRIVE their trail rigs with all their gear to the trail at and above highway speeds! BTW How does your AC work in the salt flats of Utah?

:p::lmao::hill:

subzali
11-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I'm gonna try to make it, but I'm going to ride with someone (unless I magically get a lift and tires by then, which I'm not planning for but who knows? Someone may just drop them in my lap ;) )

As far as A/C - as long as you can maintain speed you at least got 2-55! (2 windows @ 55 mph!) ;)

Uncle Ben
11-09-2007, 10:47 AM
As far as A/C - as long as you can maintain speed you at least got 2-55! (2 windows @ 55 mph!) ;)

2-55 across 60 miles of 100 degree salt flats in June + heated drivers side floor board = 130 degrees of heated seat! Got Frappacino? :hill:

nakman
11-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Man once on the Rubicon trail, I'd love to be in a 40. But across Colorado, Utah, Nevada... forget it (especially on the way back!) :eek:

Hulk
01-02-2008, 01:36 AM
So my wife and I had a talk today about our plans for this year. And I'm a GO for Rubithon!

I'm planning to take the 80. :D

timmbuck2
01-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Hmm...seems I need to either do some mods to the 80, or get the 40 up and running and modded by June. Count me in one way or the other...

RockRunner
01-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I have been lurking in the shadows drooling about this adventure. Can some one please tell me the starting point and ending point? Reason being I may be able to talk my wife into a long road trip. We wanted to to do Highway 1 again but from the near northern starting point.

I may be able to talk her into a different road trip and make the run.

How do dogs do on the trail etc. We would like to bring our two Golden retrievers with us as they are our "Kids"

If there is a trailer going out there I may be up for that depending on cost. My 4Runner is not my DD so I can drop it off early and pick it up when ever.

Thanks for any info ahead of time and any vaca suggestions spots are appreciated.

nakman
01-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Well we've obviously got 6 months to work out the details, but right now the plan in my head for the RS caravan is to leave Denver early AM on Monday 6/16.. drive at least half the way then try to remote camp somewhere fun. Drive Tuesday 6/17 until we're more or less at the destination, then some can hotel it for a night, others can camp again.. event starts Wednesday morning, 6/18 and finishes on Sunday 6/22. So then we can decide if we want to bail Sunday night to get a jump on the drive, or just wait until Monday morning, but so we're back in Denver some time on Tuesday 6/24.

I've already discussed this with a few folks who are committed to going, but later on this spring we'll organize some planning meetings for all the club members who are interested, with two main objectives: One to one map out our route & itinerary, both ways, make sure we've got a plan and everyone's needs will be met. And two, discuss our vehicles and what maintenance & mods everyone needs to get done, and when they're going to do it. We'll probably have a couple tech parties for the latter as well.. this is essentially a 9 day trip, 6 days high range and 3 days low range.. we're going to do this right.

Rezarf
01-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Stacy and I have talked about this and started to put a little coin aside for it too. My tailbone is still up in the air, but I would be interested in splitting the cost of trailering my 40 out there. This becomes an expensive trip for us pretty quick, but driving the famous Rubicon with my RS friends, what could be cooler! :D

Shipping my 40= Lots of $
Adding an ARB locker to the 40= Lots of $
Adding Sliders to my 40= Not too much lots of $
Shipping Stacy and Myself out there= Lots of $
The expenses of a big trip= Lots of $

Riding the Rubicon with friends... PRICELESS! :D

timmbuck2
01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Sweet...good to hear we have a leader to plan this out! Now if I could just get the 40 running, I could decide where to spend the coin...40 or 80...

T

Well we've obviously got 6 months to work out the details, but right now the plan in my head for the RS caravan is to leave Denver early AM on Monday 6/16.. drive at least half the way then try to remote camp somewhere fun. Drive Tuesday 6/17 until we're more or less at the destination, then some can hotel it for a night, others can camp again.. event starts Wednesday morning, 6/18 and finishes on Sunday 6/22. So then we can decide if we want to bail Sunday night to get a jump on the drive, or just wait until Monday morning, but so we're back in Denver some time on Tuesday 6/24.

I've already discussed this with a few folks who are committed to going, but later on this spring we'll organize some planning meetings for all the club members who are interested, with two main objectives: One to one map out our route & itinerary, both ways, make sure we've got a plan and everyone's needs will be met. And two, discuss our vehicles and what maintenance & mods everyone needs to get done, and when they're going to do it. We'll probably have a couple tech parties for the latter as well.. this is essentially a 9 day trip, 6 days high range and 3 days low range.. we're going to do this right.

DaveInDenver
01-02-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm planning on it since I'd really like to run it with the club, which means I can totally mooch a winch pull if I need it (yeah I know, it's not like the Hot Rod Hilux would ever need it). My winter and spring plans are to get the truck ready for this trip: sliders (preemptive thanks to Red Chili), high clearance cross member & skid plate, some sort of low transfer gearing and maybe a fridge (doubtful). But other than that stuff, I'm as ready as I'll ever be since there's no plan for SAS or anything, so double Air Lockers and 33" tires is as far as it's going. I'd like to mount up some 33x10.50 BFG MTs, although that's probably a pipe dream. I'm rebuilding the suspension this year, doing some brake upgrading and I put in A/C a year and half ago. That was prompted by a road trip through southern Utah and northern Arizona in late summer (our Grand Canyon trip with Dean). Why the heck someone would live in a place that's 100F in October is unfathomable to this huckleberry.

Hulk
01-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Tim,

Check out this page on the Rubithon web site:
http://www.rubithon.com/trailrun.htm#listing

It looks like some groups start on Wednesday and some start on Thursday. If we start on Wednesday, is that 5 days of wheeling?

If we start wheeling on Thursday, we can leave Tuesday from Denver. And if we start driving east from Rubicon Springs on Sunday, we can get home Monday night. If we go with this plan, I'd only need to ask for 5 days of vacation: Tuesday June 17 thru Monday June 23.

If it's worth it to ask for more vacation and go from 6/16 - 6/24, I'm game. I agree, let's do it right. I don't think I'll be able to do it again for a while.

I'll touch base with Tony Twiddy to get a better understanding of what goes on each day.

subzali
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Less vacation time is good for me, I'm going to be cutting it close with CM08 only 1.5 months previous! Let's do it right though, I agree. I just did the drive from San Francisco to Denver last March, and it's a long haul across the desert!

nakman
01-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Cool info, thanks, it looks like per last year's info that leaving at the end on Sunday is the norm, so we could be back here by Monday night (and you don't need to take Tuesday off). I'd still like to see the bulk of the club leave together on Monday morning though, let's do the expedition thing. :cool: Plus :kevin: will need some practice time on the 2m radio... :p:

So take 6 days off.. 6/16-6/23?

I thought the map was helpful too...

Rezarf
01-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Is caravaning reasonable with a few 40's in the mix... I can see your tail lights now after the first three miles on the freeway! :D

nakman
01-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Is caravaning reasonable with a few 40's in the mix... I can see your tail lights now after the first three miles on the freeway! :D

I thought all the 40's were being trailered, or as you put it on the previous page, "shipped."

DaveInDenver
01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Not in a FJ40, but I'm driving out and I'm s-l-o-w with a capital 'S'. I tend to cruise at about 65MPH, although the truck will do 70~75MPH without complaint (it starts to really scream at 80MPH). But at 55~65 MPH I can go 350 miles on a tank of gas comfortably. To minimize the number of one finger salutes at these speeds I tend to stay off Interstates as much as possible, so if I was designing a route it would ideally look like this Google Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=5040427042718733934,38.464730,-107.689420%3B13328596645148978118,38.225110,-108.505740%3B9518541631649591403,37.872810,-109.318920%3B5609075288385980417,37.405181,-110.449186%3B17776779618086990341,37.849000,-111.031340%3B13681370560056449659,37.764850,-111.683120%3B577091016184641595,38.275470,-112.641240%3B4537471741264081822,39.061849,-114.268799%3B3737752486239260004,39.474880,-118.767790%3B17286665637891930778,38.774580,-120.295730%3B3117571893585875375,39.535810,-119.811080&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Denver,+CO+80210+(80210)&daddr=US-50+%4038.464730,+-107.689420+to:CO-145+%4038.225110,+-108.505740+to:US-491+%4037.872810,+-109.318920+to:UT-276+%4037.405181,+-110.449186+to:Burr+Trail+Rd%2FCR-1668+%4037.849000,+-111.031340+to:UT-12+%4037.764850,+-111.683120+to:N+Main+St+%4038.275470,+-112.641240+to:39.061849,-114.268799+to:US-50+%4039.474880,+-118.767790+to:US-50+%4038.774580,+-120.295730+to:placerville,+ca&mra=pr&via=4,6,7,10&dirflg=h&sll=38.873929,-110.522461&sspn=12.239895,26.257324&ie=UTF8&z=6&om=1). However I'm also aware that this route would take 3 days realistically. I wouldn't mind doing US40 to SLC and US50 across Nevada. Still more of a 22R-E friendly speed. On Interstates, you'll have company in me.

wesintl
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm in.. Turbo should get me across the desert in a timely fashion. Wife knows (rubithon) but doesn't really knows what it means... :hill: She just thinks its another moab in lake tahoe

subzali
01-02-2008, 03:36 PM
You're gonna 'wheel the Rubicon in your truck the way it is Wes?

wesintl
01-02-2008, 03:49 PM
why not :confused:

subzali
01-02-2008, 03:50 PM
No reason, just asking. You must have bigger cahunas than me :o

wesintl
01-02-2008, 03:53 PM
If stock fj crusiers can make it I might decide take the camry instead...

powderpig
01-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Dave the route you suggest is one I have taken and it was a easy 2 days of travel on the way back from Tahoe. Any how the reason I would suggest to go in on Wed is the extra time you will have at the spring to relax before Cadilac hill. This also provides time to take some hikes around the springs and see the area. It will also provide no pressure on you as much if you have some gung ho types that want to give you a not so nice intro into the hardcore types that wheel fast. It allows you the time to allow these types to get by you. For a group that has not been on the trail before, it will take a bunch of time to get to Buc island lake,( If you make it that far). I will be on the Rubicon this year, just have not heard if I am hired to do it yet. But I would reccommend that you go in on Wed. It will be a much nicer trip if you are not rushed, you will make better choices on your lines if you are not in a hurry. It will also give you more time to hang with people that you may not see very often. This all is MHO. Take it for what it is worth. As for Sunday, most groups will get out to Tahoe by 2-3 pm. the biggest reason for this is all the people going out in intervals. It means that Cadalic hill can be backup for a couple of hours allowing people to get by the hard obsticals. But the crew that helps you will do a great job, you basically do not have to get out of your truck as they have spotters to guide you though, not to worry about there experence, all of these guys are Rubicon veterans. In the last 2 years with this plan no one has done damage to their trucks.
Hope this helps you make the right choice for your group. Later Robbie

powderpig
01-02-2008, 04:00 PM
The only stock FJC was the one Bill B and Company took done the Rubicon. To do it with out damage was a major undertaking. The last two years we took the FJC with a 2.5 lift and 33 tires. Anything less may invite problems. Unless you are willing to stack rocks and such. But Wes is a killer driver and the 70 would have no problems.

wesintl
01-02-2008, 04:15 PM
LOL i dunno about killer, but thank you. I'm comfortable in my truck and it's capabilities. Get me in something else and i'm outta sorts and nervous for a little bit. I should have some ~33x10 or 11's by then though. No pizza cutters :o Their time is passing for me. If you would like to continue the tradition with them let me know :D

subzali
01-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Ah, I was wondering if extra mods were going to follow the turbo :D

Uncle Ben
01-06-2008, 05:12 PM
WOW! I didn't notice any activity on this thread....good on ya! I have spoke with Twiddy too and going in on Wednesday looks like our best option. Robbie hit it on the casual run if we do it that way. We can overnight at Spiderlake then take another easy push to Rubie springs while still having some time to play or watch each other on Little Sluice and Old Sluice. Getting into Rubicon springs early is also a huge plus as the best sites fill up quickly. We would get home Monday night most likely (preferred). As for the slower travelers if we can just make Winimucka (10 hours from here) in one day going out and coming back we will be in fine shape as far as travel timing goes. Taking the southern route would definitely add a whole day!

So for a report to Tony and for our planning as well lets confirm a list on who's going for sure, what they are taking and if they are towing.

I and Jerry will be in my 80 w/roof top tent.

My list of to do's yet is...

Swap Bobbie for a non clicking set of Longs! Done!
finish my on board shower setup
install subtank
rework some of my cooling system
3" mandrel bent exhaust
better on-board air system
finish my leather replacement
move my radio faceplate from the lower console to the new upper one (when installed)
build a rear CV driveshaft and get my rear pinion roted up a few degrees
swap in OME Comp rear springs instead of the Slee 4's
possible Bilstein shock upgrade

Convert
01-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Huuuuuuuummmm I need to get serious If Im going to Rubicon

nakman
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
My list of to do's yet is...

finish my on board shower setup
install subtank
rework some of my cooling system
3" mandrel bent exhaust
better on-board air system
finish my leather replacement
move my radio faceplate from the lower console to the new upper one (when installed)
build a rear CV driveshaft and get my rear pinion roted up a few degrees
swap in OME Comp rear springs instead of the Slee 4's
possible Bilstein shock upgrade

different front springs
more castor- bushings or plates?
front DC shaft
new roof rack for RTT
bleed brakes
Rear axle service
plugs, cap, rotor, PCV/grommet, air filter.
better OBA hoses, backup belt
hook up in cab pressure gauge
fridge?
lights, lights, and more lights.

Hulk
01-07-2008, 12:39 AM
4.88 gears
Fix front of sliders so they don't hit my new tires
Lift of some sort: need more than I have now
315 tires
Sub tank
install new speakers for stereo (already own: Infinitys)
install Slee electrical harness (already own)
install John Deere low beam lights (already own)
install Center Diff Lock switch (already own)
Winch?
Drawers?
Fridge?

corsair23
01-07-2008, 12:56 AM
I so want to go :( - Chance of a lifetime to go with you guys and it comes a few years too early for me.

Anyone need a copilot? :thumb:

The LX isn't ready for the Rubicon and neither is the 40 (which is a shame since it is fully locked, has OBA, shower, etc. etc.) I fear. I'm not sure I am either :)

Not even sure if I can get the time off but if anyone potentially needs a copilot let me know and maybe I can fill the spot.

Matt, just a thought but if you can't swing a winch before and want to borrow one, we could possibly swap mine off the LX and onto your 80. It is only an XD9000 but better than nothing. Of course that assumes I get it fixed and working good prior to your departure :D

RockRunner
01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
I so want to go :( - Chance of a lifetime to go with you guys and it comes a few years too early for me.

Anyone need a copilot? :thumb:

The LX isn't ready for the Rubicon and neither is the 40 (which is a shame since it is fully locked, has OBA, shower, etc. etc.) I fear. I'm not sure I am either :)

Not even sure if I can get the time off but if anyone potentially needs a copilot let me know and maybe I can fill the spot.

Matt, just a thought but if you can't swing a winch before and want to borrow one, we could possibly swap mine off the LX and onto your 80. It is only an XD9000 but better than nothing. Of course that assumes I get it fixed and working good prior to your departure :D

Jeff,

I am trying to talk Sharon into going, so far it looks good. If she decides to bail I would like another person to travel with etc. I will keep you apprised over the next few months.

Your winch is another story :eek: I have not seen that happen myself. I dont think it will be to hard to fix. I would call Warn and tell them what the problem is, I bet it is a solenoid that is sticking once it gets a little power to it.

RockRunner
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
If we go I just need to buy a new tow vehicle..............

Front cage tied into the rear
Tire carrier
Roof rack attachment on the Can-Back
Install more lights
Exo cage if no interior cage :(
Extra battery
Bigger alternator
Bobbie Longs (I wish) :o
Paint the 4Runner so I can scratch it all up again ;)

Or just get a tow vehicle and go as is............

Uncle Ben
01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I told him we had leaders and gunners and we were thinking of going in Wednesday....here is his response....

"thanks Kevin... this is exactly what I needed to know so we can plan accordingly. Wed has our wagon run too so the pace is laid back. Wed will allow you to camp at Buck, enter the springs on Thursday, hang out (hike, fish, swim, wheel cadillac hill and back) Friday and Saturday, Saturday is dinner and raffle, and we all exit Sunday out cadillac via the exit strategy. The exit strategy basically assigns a departure time to help spread the trucks out.

your group needs to decide logistics on trailering. REmember, you enter via loon but exit out to Tahoe. I suggest leaving trailers on Tahoe side (perhaps in casino parking lot) and drive 4x4s to Loon side, exit Sunday out tahoe to your trailers and begin your journey home. This is irrelevent to me, but will impact you guys a lot. if you trailer to Loon, you will be exiting backwards to Loon on Sunday, which is fun, but also a full day, leaving you in CA instead of NV.

thanks Kevin, keep me posted... I will plan for your group on Wednesday, with no trail leaders. Your other groups sharing the trail will be the wagon run and our wed run, total 3 groups, spread out about 2 to 3 hours apart.

Many of us here are very excited about CM this year too!

Tony"

timmbuck2
01-08-2008, 03:05 PM
OK, would love to go with the RS group, as well as attend my first official TLCA event as the new EVP. :) Doubtful I will have my 40 trail ready by then, so what would you experts recommend for my 80? Obviously a lift, bigger tires, front bumper, winch, sliders....I would be taking as mild a trail as possible as I have never been there. :) Thanks.

T

timmbuck2
01-08-2008, 05:00 PM
OK. Already changed my mind. Think I will leave th 80 relatively stock for DD duties and to keep the :Princess: happy. So, building the 40 makes more sense, especially if we are shipping them out there. Hey Uncle Ben, still have that locked and lifted setup I could buy for my 40? Might as well do the suspension and lift while the engine is out of the truck, huh? SO what is my 40 shopping list to be Rubithon ready? :eek:

OK, would love to go with the RS group, as well as attend my first official TLCA event as the new EVP. :) Doubtful I will have my 40 trail ready by then, so what would you experts recommend for my 80? Obviously a lift, bigger tires, front bumper, winch, sliders....I would be taking as mild a trail as possible as I have never been there. :) Thanks.

T

Hulk
01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
You can also ride shotgun. I think there will be a number of RS members going on this trip in a passenger seat.

timmbuck2
01-08-2008, 05:05 PM
That will be my 2nd option. It feels good to have a goal for my 40. :)

You can also ride shotgun. I think there will be a number of RS members going on this trip in a passenger seat.

Shark Bait
01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Anybody got trailer space for my FJ40? :D

Hulk
01-08-2008, 06:28 PM

Problem would be towing it with my 80. I love a good road trip, but towing a 40 with my 80 would make it a tedious trip. What you need is a F-250 and a trailer for a week and a half. Either that or ship the 40 out to Lake Tahoe a few weeks in advance.

Shark Bait
01-08-2008, 06:30 PM
What you need is a F-250 and a trailer for a week and a half. Either that or ship the 40 out to Lake Tahoe a few weeks in advance.

Maybe I could pay Ige to chauffeur me out. :D

Hulk
01-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Maybe I could pay Ige to chauffeur me out. :D
Sure. Then she can ride shotgun and drink your beer all day long. :thumb:

Hulk
01-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey, I talked with Tony Twiddy this evening. He's pretty jazzed about us all coming out to the Rubithon. He mentioned that we'll soon be telling people that the "Rising Sun Run" is full -- he thinks everyone is going to want to wheel with us!

I also talked with him about wheeling my 80 vs. my 40. He said the width and length of the 80 make it a very attractive vehicle of choice on the 'con. He said with lockers, armor and 35s, the 80 would make an excellent rig to run the Rubicon Trail.

It's only January, and I'm ready to go now! :)

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Argh. Just when I decided to build the 40. :)

Hey, I talked with Tony Twiddy this evening. He's pretty jazzed about us all coming out to the Rubithon. He mentioned that we'll soon be telling people that the "Rising Sun Run" is full -- he thinks everyone is going to want to wheel with us!

I also talked with him about wheeling my 80 vs. my 40. He said the width and length of the 80 make it a very attractive vehicle of choice on the 'con. He said with lockers, armor and 35s, the 80 would make an excellent rig to run the Rubicon Trail.

It's only January, and I'm ready to go now! :)

Hulk
01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
Your 40 will be great. My conversation with Tony was him reassuring me that my 80 would be quite good, too.

MDH33
01-09-2008, 03:42 PM

Has anyone looked seriously at a car hauler that we could put several 40's on and have them sent out and waiting for us? That would mean we could save several days of travel by flying out and meeting our vehicles.

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Has anyone looked seriously at a car hauler that we could put several 40's on and have them sent out and waiting for us? That would mean we could save several days of travel by flying out and meeting our vehicles.

I started looking into it but could not find anything reasonable. If I was taking my 40 I would not drive it and I would definitely look into transport. Might be a bad attitude but I decided to not focus on transport because I'm not taking my 40 and using my time to come up with the best rates for others who will most likely bulk at the cost per vehicle+plane fare+storage wasn't a good use of my efforts. I encourage anyone and everyone to do some snooping and phone calling and see what you can come up with! I will probably have a seat available for someone needing a ride to the drop off and back home.

subzali
01-09-2008, 03:59 PM
balk :D

Timm - get the engine in, lift it to be on 33s and throw a Lockright in, that's the simplest. Maybe do minitruck steering.

I'm just looking at it this way - I am hoping to be able to build my 40 for ACT '10 and I am giving myself 12-15 months starting this summer/fall, so I want to be done in Nov/Dec. '09. Maybe conservative, but maybe not. I only want to do it once, and let me put it this way, I don't want spring under lift, minitruck p/s, the current tranny and t-case, or the current rear axle, nor do I want Lockrights for my full build. But since time is against you at this point you may have to take what you can get. I'm riding to Rubithon with someone else this year.

MDH33
01-09-2008, 04:27 PM
still on the fence...

nakman
01-09-2008, 04:28 PM
..... I'm riding to Rubithon with someone else this year.

Good move! The trip out is likely to be as fun as the Rubithon itself. Should be an extra seat in my truck if you want it Matt, though I've already got two riders penciled in, but we'll see what happens by June. I personally think though that anyone from the club who wants to go should go ahead and get the time off now, then see how things shake out come late May.. and more than likely there will be 3 or 4 open seat opportunities for you come June.

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 05:04 PM
I will in my 80 all alone. :) Will have a HAM by then...

corsair23
01-09-2008, 05:25 PM

Back to taking the 80 now?

DaveInDenver
01-09-2008, 05:34 PM
I should have an extra seat in my truck. I have to warn potentially shotgunners that it takes a special breed to ride in a mini truck. Crash has ridden in Imelda, so ask him sometime. But suffice to say that my seats are pretty narrow (think about how Dean and I are built). Lanky people will fit better. It also helps if you are not terribly spoiled by the cushy ride of a 62 or 80, it's definitely not anywhere near as smooth. But on the upside, you get to be a guest at the Hilux Hilton. Pillow mints and concierge are free, but please do not forget to take care of your help staff.

http://wildernest.armbrusterweb.com/files/page1_1.jpg

timmbuck2
01-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Back to taking the 80 now?

Hoping we can find a way to transport the 40's out there...if not, I probably will be driving the 40...

Shark Bait
01-09-2008, 10:14 PM

Push comes to shove, maybe I'll just ride out with someone. Probably makes sense to share expenses. I'd love to run my 40 on the trail, one time. :eek:

Uncle Ben
01-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Push comes to shove, maybe I'll just ride out with someone. Probably makes sense to share expenses. I'd love to run my 40 on the trail, one time. :eek:

Rubicon is a kick! It's not practical to make the pilgrimage every year for most folks because it is a large time and expense thing. I guarantee most of our group (if not all) will fall in love with this trail and another trip will happen for most! Imagine doing a trail similar to Chinamans with a little Blanca and Holycross thrown in for scenery and an extra challenge here and there with overnight camping with your friends then ending at a huge catered party at a natural water park with take home gifts! Even if you just ride along your first time you will see what it's all about and will be dreaming of when you can drive it yourself! Dave Brown rode last year instead of driving Red Fox and he said he really enjoyed seeing so much more that you miss when your concentrating on driving.

Romer
01-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Rubicon is a kick! It's not practical to make the pilgrimage every year for most folks because it is a large time and expense thing. I guarantee most of our group (if not all) will fall in love with this trail and another trip will happen for most! Imagine doing a trail similar to Chinamans with a little Blanca and Holycross thrown in for scenery and an extra challenge here and there with overnight camping with your friends then ending at a huge catered party at a natural water park with take home gifts! Even if you just ride along your first time you will see what it's all about and will be dreaming of when you can drive it yourself! Dave Brown rode last year instead of driving Red Fox and he said he really enjoyed seeing so much more that you miss when your concentrating on driving.

Ok, you got me thinking about it again.

DaveInDenver
01-10-2008, 08:52 AM
How's that look? I'll give it a couple days for update before I tell Twiddy an approximate #
Looks good, thanks Kevin!

timmbuck2
01-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Ahem.

OK....I skimmed back through all 128 posts and this looks like the list....please correct or update!

Martin - 40 ?
Matt F. - 40 or 80 ?
Tim N. + Kevin K. - 80
Dan R. - 80
Drew - 40
Kevin + Jerry - 80
Robbie + Robin and Ty- 80 (if he's not TTT)
Dave B. - 40
Kim B. - 40
BVB - 80 or 62
Wes - 70
Dave A. - mini
Matt M. - 40 or ride
Chris H. - 40 or ride
Jeff Z. - ?
Tom R. - mini

How's that look? I'll give it a couple days for update before I tell Twiddy an approximate #

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Ahem.

My bad....you were on my paper list....just didn't make it through the stupid finger process. :rolleyes: :thumb:

subzali
01-10-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm ride only at this point, but pretty much told my boss that I'm going. I think he understands ;)

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm ride only at this point, but pretty much told my boss that I'm going. I think he understands ;)

Thanks...updated...

MDH33
01-10-2008, 10:22 AM
If I were to drive my 40 out there, would there be a place to ditch my doors and top before hitting the trail?

I'm seriously considering this. The more I think about it, I'm not put off by the prospect of driving my 40 that far. I would just need to do some work on it that I was planning anyway.

RockRunner
01-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Kevin, I am still working on it. Checking on time off and the wifes OK, please put a ? next to my name for now. As soon as I know I will let you know.

DaveInDenver
01-10-2008, 11:03 AM
If I were to drive my 40 out there, would there be a place to ditch my doors and top before hitting the trail?

I'm seriously considering this. The more I think about it, I'm not put off by the prospect of driving my 40 that far. I would just need to do some work on it that I was planning anyway.
I think you should drive it! The road trip is an important part of the journey if you ask me. My truck is definitely no faster than a FJ40 and I definitely don't mind taking it easy. Scheduling-wise, I'm just fine with taking as much time on the drives as the group wants. I sort of figured that we'd have to hustle out and was thinking maybe a few people would want to take the long way home.

nakman
01-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Also I suspect anyone who drives a tow vehicle would let you stash your doors & top inside one of their trucks, or camper, etc. that they're parking while we're on the trail. Would just need to ask them to verify but I can't see why not. Don't let that stop you from going, we'll find a solution!

MDH33
01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Also I suspect anyone who drives a tow vehicle would let you stash your doors & top inside one of their trucks, or camper, etc. that they're parking while we're on the trail. Would just need to ask them to verify but I can't see why not. Don't let that stop you from going, we'll find a solution!

Good to know I can ditch some stuff, not a big deal, and certainly wouldn't keep me from going. It's the list of To Do's that might :):

Trans and TC service
Main seal and clutch
Exhaust and PTO install
Front axle service
Sliders
etc...

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 12:38 PM
I think you should drive it! The road trip is an important part of the journey if you ask me. My truck is definitely no faster than a FJ40 and I definitely don't mind taking it easy. Scheduling-wise, I'm just fine with taking as much time on the drives as the group wants. I sort of figured that we'd have to hustle out and was thinking maybe a few people would want to take the long way home.

I totally concur! :)

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Kevin, I am still working on it. Checking on time off and the wifes OK, please put a ? next to my name for now. As soon as I know I will let you know. Done, but I had trouble doing it! Just say "YES!" ;):bowdown::Princess:

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
You guys spot this vid from Dunkane from France on his fly in and ride along at last years Rubi? http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IhhMSDzPmqQ

bvb
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm out! Found out I got a big meeting during that week. :rant: There are times when work interfears with fun:mad:, but you got to pay the bills.:beer: Need to find another run to make.

Shark Bait
01-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Need to find another run to make.

Moab? :D

Shark Bait
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Kevin, Did you research car haulers yet? I'm still thinking that is the way I would like to go. If you haven't, maybe I will.

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Kevin, Did you research car haulers yet? I'm still thinking that is the way I would like to go. If you haven't, maybe I will.

A little and I didn't find any favorable results. If you want to dig into this that would be great as I know there are others interested. Bummer about BVB!

nakman
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Bummer about BVB!

Yeah but I hear there's a Rubicon run for Toyota mucky mucks planned for later in the summer. :p:

See you in Moab, Bill! :D

MDH33
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Drive out there! just because we don't have leather seats, AC and chilled drinks from an on-board fridge like the pink panties brigade, doesn't mean it won't be a great road trip. ;) :D

Uncle Ben
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Drive out there! just because we don't have leather seats, AC and chilled drinks from an on-board fridge like the pink panties brigade, doesn't mean it won't be a great road trip. ;) :D

And since the PPB's are comfy and calm we will still luv you enough to haul what you can't fit AND give you a frosty :beer: when you're parched! :bowdown::zilla: :kevin: :robbie: :campfire: :beer2: :thumb:

nakman
01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
And since the PPB's are comfy and calm we will still luv you enough to haul what you can't fit AND give you a frosty :beer: when you're parched! :bowdown::zilla: :kevin: :robbie: :campfire: :beer2: :thumb:

No kidding, drive the 40's already. I don't like driving the 80 that fast anyway, and that route Dave posted up looks super fun. This is a club run for Pete's sake.. an 8 day, 4-digit, 3 zillion mile, club run.

Shark Bait
01-10-2008, 11:32 PM

Prudence is probably going to force a drive out, unless I can pull a F-250 Super Duty and trailer out of my a$$. Driving the 40, round trip is 2400 miles, at 13 MPG is 185 gallons of gas, at $3.00/gallon is $555 fuel cost. YMMV. The best quote I've found so far from a car hauler is $541 one way! That was with 6 vehicles on the trailer!! :eek:

A slow caravan out is fine. Heck, we'll have camping gear.

If I don't find a job soon, I won't be going any way. I'm the victim of "restructuring" at Hitachi. My last day is 1/15.

Hulk
01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Driving the 40, round trip is 2400 miles, at 13 MPG is 185 gallons of gas, at $3.00/gallon is $555 fuel cost. YMMV.

Oh, my 80 is going to do so much better than that at 14 MPG: $515.
That's a $40 savings, baby. :rolleyes:

art hog
01-11-2008, 01:59 AM
With my 4bt and my 53 gal fuel tank and 25+MPG I can make it in 2 tanks. I will bring a extra 5 gal just un case.

corsair23
01-11-2008, 02:42 AM
If I don't find a job soon, I won't be going any way. I'm the victim of "restructuring" at Hitachi. My last day is 1/15.

Bummer Chris...Sorry to hear that :(

Oh, my 80 is going to do so much better than that at 14 MPG: $515.
That's a $40 savings, baby. :rolleyes:

You get 14mpg? That's awesome...You better forgo that winch and pass the deal on to me then otherwise you'll be down to 12 like me :hill:

Uncle Ben
01-11-2008, 08:22 AM

Ouch! Chris....I'm soo sorry to hear this! You have been with Hitachi almost as long as I have known you! What are you going to do? Any prospects?

Shark Bait
01-11-2008, 08:53 AM
Ouch! Chris....I'm soo sorry to hear this! You have been with Hitachi almost as long as I have known you! What are you going to do? Any prospects?
Thanks. Longer, actually. I've had a couple of interviews with one company already. We'll see. :confused:

Rezarf
01-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Bummer Chris, sorry to hear that, but I am sure you are a super marketable guy!

Stacy and I are pulling out of the plannnig for Rubithon...:o

Dates, cost, and time off, all are adding up to make this a super long shot for us. We'd love to go with the club, but this might not be our year.

subzali
01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
Like UB said, people who have never seen the trail will probably go again after seeing it this year.

Romer
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Ok, I'm 70% in for going.

With the toys and J's not sure if I should add spacers or taller springs. Thoughts? Only other mod I can think of I might need is a shower system.

Probably should figure out an 80's set of spare parts. I have spare front and rear axles and one birf. Probably would be good to have a spare set of driveshafts.

Uncle Ben
01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Ok, I'm 70% in for going.

With the toys and J's not sure if I should add spacers or taller springs. Thoughts? Only other mod I can think of I might need is a shower system.

Probably should figure out an 80's set of spare parts. I have spare front and rear axles and one birf. Probably would be good to have a spare set of driveshafts.

Added and....:thumb::thumb:

Romer
01-12-2008, 11:08 PM
Here is a write-up I found on the Norcal page for a run they did in late August of 2006 (Not Rubithon). Looks like a good thing they have spotters on the way out on Cadillac hill http://www.tlcwagons.org/Norcal_Wagons/Trip_Blog/Entries/2006/8/20_Norcal_Wagons_on_the_RubiconBy_Andrew_Pollock.html

Any comment on this write-up from the guys who have done this?

BTW - the wagon group doing the same day is the Norcal guys. If we catch up to them in the evening, we can have a 5 star meal. These are great guys and I have gotten to know Doug (NorCalDoug), Alavaro and Andy (Cruiserdrew) pretty good over the last few years.

RockRunner
01-12-2008, 11:23 PM
one way[/B]! That was with 6 vehicles on the trailer!! :eek:.

Better recalculate and use $4.50 per gallon. By the time we go gas in CO will be higher. Then consider that we are heading west were gas prices are MUCH higher. CA is still around $3.75, I figure about $1000 for gas that is including cruising the area around Lake Tahoe.

Very sorry to hear about your job, really stinks.

RockRunner
01-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Done, but I had trouble doing it! Just say "YES!" ;):bowdown::Princess:

She is leaning towards going, wants to see more trail footage. The other thing is we really want to bring the dogs. Need to work out the logistics as far as water and food go. 4Runner can only hold so much, may have to use a roof rack. That should make for some interesting wheeling :o

powderpig
01-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Well to let you know, I have been hired to lead a group of FJC down the Rubithon. So I will be around, maybe in front or maybe behind. We should be leaving on Wed as well. As for Robin and Ty, they will be staying behind this year. I know they want to go, just trying to figure it all out. We want to go to ACT this year(have not heard from Mark yet). If we are not accepted for ACT, they will be going on the Rubithon(if there is still space when we make the choice).(living in Limbo). Any help I can offer or ideas I will be happy to get together to help you all. I would suggest that you all make a weekend trip together to work on Group dynamics a little and see how you can share cooking and such. A good shake down is wonderful for any group.
Later Robbie

60wag
01-13-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm still a maybe. If I make it, it will likely be as a passenger.

Bruce

DaveInDenver
01-13-2008, 09:00 AM
see how you can share cooking and such
I thought Wes was going to cook all the meals. :-)

Honestly, though, Robbie brings up a great point about group dynamics. Traveling as a club is more fun if we're sitting around each day sharing pancakes instead of 15 groups eating instant oatmeal.

Romer
01-13-2008, 10:30 AM

Honestly, though, Robbie brings up a great point about group dynamics. Traveling as a club is more fun if we're sitting around each day sharing pancakes instead of 15 groups eating instant oatmeal.

If you have ever been with the NorCal guys, its like dinning at a 5 star restaraunt down to the wine selection. They plan very well and share frigs and some use theirs as the freezer for the group. I have only spent time with them in Moab and not on a long trail run.

Hulk
01-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Kevin, you can update the list to show that I'm bringing the 80.

Uncle Ben
01-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Kevin, you can update the list to show that I'm bringing the 80.

Done....thanks Matt!

I really like where this thread is going! I think we need a mini committee to get organized and work on logistics. I would be happy to be on it. We will need to start registering soon and I also want to get Twiddy a pretty good outline of who's going and what they are driving so he can figure out what departure time to put us in. :thumb::thumb:

Romer
01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Last night I watched the video of the Norcal guys doing the trail backwards a few years ago in mid June. The thing that popped out to me is that I really need to do the extended diff breather mod (water crossings). I'll extend the rear up to where the gas cap is and the front, high in the engine bay.

Anyone else procrastinate on this mod?

Uncle Ben
01-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Last night I watched the video of the Norcal guys doing the trail backwards a few years ago in mid June. The thing that popped out to me is that I really need to do the extended diff breather mod (water crossings). I'll extend the rear up to where the gas cap is and the front, high in the engine bay.

The deep water hole is optional and you can skirt the side of it or take an alternative route up though some interesting rocks! My front axle and t-case are already vented under the hood. I do need to vent the rear up higher than stock but I'm not in a hurry.

DaveInDenver
01-13-2008, 12:08 PM
My axles are vented up to about gas filler height (the front is higher, but the back is up under the filler tube). I don't have tranny and transfer extensions and no snorkel anyway, so my max height is really about floor boards high.

Speaking about food, I was planning on the dutch oven and 3-burner Coleman stove. I'll have along a cast iron griddle that fits the outfitter stove. This will be available as common cookware. Art Hog got the benefit of an outfitting trial run with this camp kitchen on the White Rim and he lived, so we've got that going for us.

RockRunner
01-13-2008, 09:47 PM

Ken, do you have a link for that video? Still talking the wife into it and that might help.

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Well folks we have received our pecking order! Here is the latest....

<<<<< we have scheduled your group for Wednesday at 9am from Loon lake, you will be right behind the Andy Pollocks Wagon run... which is right behind Ross Kuzma Wed morning run. you'll be overnighting at Buck, arrive in springs on Thursday with a two days to hang out.

Basically, Wed is going to be full line of trucks... but everyone wants to wheel with the RS guys too.

T
>>>>>>>>>>>> :thumb::thumb: :woot: :woot: :risingsun:

I will post up when Tony wants us to register. Lets get the mini committee goig and get organized! I'm excited...can you tell? :)

Romer
01-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Kev,
Do we camp at the same place as Andy's wagon run? Thats a great group of folks to hand out with.

ken

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Kev,
Do we camp at the same place as Andy's wagon run? Thats a great group of folks to hand out with.

ken

We will be at the same lake. ;) If someone wanted to start communication with them I'm sure it would be a kick in the tail! By going in third we won't have another group pushing so we can enjoy a laid back pace a bit more! There will still be folks and other outlaws groups coming in behind us but we will be the last large group in on Wednesday morning with the exception of Mudracks Double Locker Run which usually starts around noon. We will also be some of the first groups to get into the Springs so we will have some great camping spots to choose from!

Romer
01-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I can contact Andy. He said he is coming to Moab this year as well. I have already been talking to him and he was nervous about us having our own group and felt better when I told him Robbie will be with us. Guess I was wrong. I know Dave has run this trail many times so we should be fine.

Here is what he PM'd me
It really helps to have an experienced guide. Parts of the trail are in poor shape right now, and it helps to know the lines that work and those that don't. For instance, right at Ellis Creek on the first day, the trail goes straight ahead into a major rock garden. You need to turn hard left on the trail that bypasses that section, but you don't know that unless you've been there before. Otherwise it will take hours to run a group through 100 feet of trail. That's just one example of about 10.

subzali
01-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Very cool everybody! I've never been on a committee before but I'll join in on this one! I'm super excited!

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I can contact Andy. He said he is coming to Moab this year as well. I have already been talking to him and he was nervous about us having our own group and felt better when I told him Robbie will be with us. Guess I was wrong. I know Dave has run this trail many times so we should be fine.

Here is what he PM'd me

Between Dave, Kim and I, I really don't foresee any problems to be honest! That would be awesome if you could chat with Andy and get camping at Buck Island organized! I suspect with only 10 rigs we will get some more assigned so there will probably be more non-virgins along as well! If you feel more comfortable in a different group don't hesitate! Just please let us know so we can plan accordingly!

60wag
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
So if someone were thinking about flying out to Tahoe to join the RS group and then flying back because he didn't have enough vacation to join the awsome road trip, where would you fly to and how much time would you add to be able to get to and from the airport? - just thinkin

Hulk
01-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I suspect with only 10 rigs we will get some more assigned so there will probably be more non-virgins along as well!

Tony said we'd probably get more requests to wheel with us than we would be comfortable accepting. He said "everyone is going to want to wheel with Rising Sun." He may be overestimating our popularity, but now that Romer is going, maybe not. He's our superstar. At Flat Nasty, everyone knew him.

Romer
01-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Between Dave, Kim and I, I really don't foresee any problems to be honest! That would be awesome if you could chat with Andy and get camping at Buck Island organized! I suspect with only 10 rigs we will get some more assigned so there will probably be more non-virgins along as well! If you feel more comfortable in a different group don't hesitate! Just please let us know so we can plan accordingly!

No way Kevin, just passing along Andy's comment. I am sure we will be fine.

Tony said we'd probably get more requests to wheel with us than we would be comfortable accepting. He said "everyone is going to want to wheel with Rising Sun." He may be overestimating our popularity, but now that Romer is going, maybe not. He's our superstar. At Flat Nasty, everyone knew him.

Yeah, I'm the guy that hates trees

Hulk
01-14-2008, 02:31 PM
They actually knew you before you starting de-barking trees using your fender flares.

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
So if someone were thinking about flying out to Tahoe to join the RS group and then flying back because he didn't have enough vacation to join the awsome road trip, where would you fly to and how much time would you add to be able to get to and from the airport? - just thinkin

The only place I can think of that would be near our path would be Reno, NV. Depending on how we lay out the travel plan we could pick you up early Wednesday morning or most likely Tuesday afternoon. We would then drop you back at the AP Sunday afternoon.

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Does anybody have any links of the Rubicon that shows video? Ken said that he watched a video of the Norcal guys but I can not find it anywhere. I am trying to show Sharon what it is all about and pics only show so much. Any video is appreciated, I found the FJ TT vids but they are really small and more add then the showing of terrain.

I am also trying to show her how nice the camping can be so any help is appreciate.

Romer
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
Does anybody have any links of the Rubicon that shows video? Ken said that he watched a video of the Norcal guys but I can not find it anywhere. I am trying to show Sharon what it is all about and pics only show so much. Any video is appreciated, I found the FJ TT vids but they are really small and more add then the showing of terrain.

I am also trying to show her how nice the camping can be so any help is appreciate.

These guys are running it backwards 3 years ago in June. Thinking the upfront snow isn't part of the official trail, but Kevin will have to chime in here

http://www.tlcwagons.org/Norcal_Wagons/Videos/Entries/2006/5/12_Pre-Rubithon_2005.html

subzali
01-14-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.tlcwagons.org/Norcal_Wagons/Videos/Videos.html

EDIT: Romer beat me to it.

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Thats a fun vid! I would love to run the Rubicon when there is snow...what a kick in the pants! The vid is also traveling backwards which for the most part is tougher as it's uphill that way. It is possible for snow on the 'con during Rubithon but it doesn't happen often. I was registered the year they canceled it due to impossible snow conditions. We still took the trip, just didn't take the Cruiser.

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks, I'll show her tonight. still working plus working on some type of tow vehicle better than my GMC 1500.

Convert
01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
UB looks like I'm in I will be taking the 80. Man am I excited !!! I am also up for the mini comittee:thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 10:13 PM
:thumb::thumb:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/tlca-sanctioned-events/198910-rubithon-2008-june-18th-22nd-2008-a.html#post2940718

Romer
01-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Those are a great group of guys and they really know the trail. That would be awesome. I did send Andy a PM that I told him wrong about Robbie though.

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Do we have a count as to how may woman are planning on going? Also how many of you are planning on taking a dog or two, the four legged kind. We are working logistics and cost right now, getting closer.

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Do we have a count as to how may woman are planning on going? Also how many of you are planning on taking a dog or two, the four legged kind. We are working logistics and cost right now, getting closer.

Thats why WE need to work on it!

We need to know who the passengers are
who has fridges
what gear we are all taking
whos in the convoy and are we all taking the same route
where will will we stay the first night
etc.....

I am happy to do a lot but I work too!

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Those are a great group of guys and they really know the trail. That would be awesome. I did send Andy a PM that I told him wrong about Robbie though.

I'm not thrilled about a huge group but those guys are cool and it would be awesome to camp at both BI and RS with them. I'm up for what WE as a group decide. I know the trail pretty good and I'm not scared to wheel my truck. Dave and Kim know the trail very well and are not afraid to wheel their trucks. I can not answer "what if" questions regarding if the trail will be too tough for all! "What if" we go do what we do well and have some fun!

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 11:36 PM

I'm up for sharing duties and resources. We always have a week campout around the 4th of July and each year we bring less hardware and more food and booze. I made a seafood etoufe that was gone by nights end, all the other food was just as good if not better, Same rules apply when you go to Lake Powell.:beer::beer::beer::beer::thumb:

We could plan part of it during CM08

RockRunner
01-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Thats why WE need to work on it!

We need to know who the passengers are
who has fridges
what gear we are all taking
whos in the convoy and are we all taking the same route
where will will we stay the first night
etc.....

I am happy to do a lot but I work too!

I can help too, if people want to email the info I will put in some type of form so we can break i down and see the who what where and why.

I will put together a list of questions I would ask myself and then pass it on, if it passes the mustard we can post it and have people fill in the blanks.

What do you think Kevin? You want me to put it together?

Uncle Ben
01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
I can help too, if people want to email the info I will put in some type of form so we can break i down and see the who what where and why.

I will put together a list of questions I would ask myself and then pass it on, if it passes the mustard we can post it and have people fill in the blanks.

What do you think Kevin? You want me to put it together?

I think what we need is maybe a committee forum and a mini meeting to get organized so we don't fly off wildly in different directions!

corsair23
01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
UB,

I'm working on it but if I do manage to go it will be as a passenger. I'm 50/50 right now but I sooooo don't want to miss this. Flying in is sort of appealing due to the vacation time contraints but not sure about the logistics of that nor how I'd feel getting to enjoy in the fun without having to do much of the work :hill:

corsair23
01-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Does anybody have any links of the Rubicon that shows video?

Tom, you can also go to youtube and just do a search on Rubicon and Rubithon. Found quite a few "interesting" videos that way :thumb:

RockRunner
01-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Tom, you can also go to youtube and just do a search on Rubicon and Rubithon. Found quite a few "interesting" videos that way :thumb:

I did find some but we are looking for the surounding terain mostly. She knows now what the wheeling is like but wants to check out what else she WILL see, thanks for the info Jeff.

powderpig
01-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Reno would be the cheapest place to fly into. As for the closet, then shuttle up to south lake Tahoe or over to Carson City. Or have some one pick up up in Reno.
I also looked at where they put me leaving on Thursday(with the FJ team) at 1pm, Looks like I be camping along the way before the lake and getting in late on Friday. I
will see if I can spend part of wed with you guys. Later Robbie

Romer
01-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Kevin - Take the ? off my name. I have a 42Qt fridge/freezer Engle

Rachel is thinking of being my passanger. I would say its 50/50 on if she comes. If she doesn't come.

Uncle Ben
01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Kevin - Take the ? off my name. I have a 42Qt fridge/freezer Engle

Rachel is thinking of being my passanger. I would say its 50/50 on if she comes. If she doesn't come.

Awesome Romer!

Convert
01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
How much extra fuel will need to be carried for an 80 without a sub Tank ?

Romer
01-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Since we will be camping 4 nights I am curious what the group is doing before hand and Sunday night. I like the idea of doing a caravan there and back, but thinking about a motel the other nights. Whats the rest of the group thinking.

Uncle Ben
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
How much extra fuel will need to be carried for an 80 without a sub Tank ?

AS much as you can fit but I would say at least 2 Jerry cans.

Uncle Ben
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Since we will be camping 4 nights I am curious what the group is doing before hand and Sunday night. I like the idea of doing a caravan there and back, but thinking about a motel the other nights. Whats the rest of the group thinking.

I'm thinking since we will be going a tad slower do to singing 2F's and 20R's If we set our sights on Wendover, NV, some can stay in the casino hotel and some can stay in their RTT's. If we make it a two night convoy out we can either spend the night near the trail head or at Lake Tahoe.

nakman
01-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Leaving Monday morning, camping somewhere, driving the rest of the way, then stay somewhere near Lake Tahoe or the trailhead.

Do we need a secret sub forum?

also I may have another passenger.. if it matters right now.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 06:45 AM
Leaving Monday morning, camping somewhere, driving the rest of the way, then stay somewhere near Lake Tahoe or the trailhead.

Do we need a secret sub forum?

I edited my previous post. We should shoot for Wendover, NV, for the first night. The Peppercorn Casino is a monster with cheap room rates and a huge parking lot for those who sleep outside. Wendover will be about 11+ hours from here. Just past the Great Salt Flats and before the volcanic wasteland of northern Nevada. From Wendover then we can shoot over to Tahoe or even up to Loon Lake area. There is some cabins and such available near Loon.

Romer
01-16-2008, 08:20 AM
Ahh, so we could have a couple hours of Fun Monday night before hitting the hay. I like it. Need to do something to stretch the legs.

MDH33
01-16-2008, 10:05 AM
AS much as you can fit but I would say at least 2 Jerry cans.

So I guess that means I'll need at least 6 jerry cans for a 40??

I edited my previous post. We should shoot for Wendover, NV, for the first night. The Peppercorn Casino is a monster with cheap room rates and a huge parking lot for those who sleep outside. Wendover will be about 11+ hours from here. Just past the Great Salt Flats and before the volcanic wasteland of northern Nevada. From Wendover then we can shoot over to Tahoe or even up to Look Lake area. There is some cabins and such available near Loon.

I would prefer to avoid the highways and hotels. I guess I could probably solo out and back and take a longer, slower, more scenic route and camp along the way. I would be less likely to hold back the caravan too.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 10:20 AM
So I guess that means I'll need at least 6 jerry cans for a 40??

1 can will usually be enough but if you have to lend someone a gallon or two you might run a little lean before you get to Tahoe! Lending a gallon or 2 seems to be fairly common as there will be folks there that are not fully equipped!

I would prefer to avoid the highways and hotels. I guess I could probably solo out and back and take a longer, slower, more scenic route and camp along the way. I would be less likely to hold back the caravan too.

Why wouldn't you want to go with the group? :confused:

Shark Bait
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Hey Martin,

Let's blaze out there and then take our time coming back. :D

nakman
01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Martin I've driven with you in your 40 on the the highway and it's plenty fast.. you're rolling with the group, man.

Romer
01-16-2008, 10:58 AM
Martin I've driven with you in your 40 on the the highway and it's plenty fast.. you're rolling with the group, man.

X2

Thats part of the fun. Road Trip.

Besides, we may need you when Tim picks a fight with a group of bikers.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Hey Martin,

I plan on blazing back home. I will make Wendover by Sunday night, regardless of how long it takes to get out, and plan on being home early as possible on Monday. Doing the 11 hour to Wendover and the 5 hour to Tahoe jaunt is a pretty mello Cruise!

DaveInDenver
01-16-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm in for a group trip and don't plan on any solo traveling at this point. It seems that our Denver->Rubithon will be a 2-day trip covering ground rather than seeing stuff. That's not to say we're doing 100 MPH IMO, but does mean we are getting there primarily. I was hoping that a group would want to take the long way home from CA->Denver through southern Utah and SW Colorado rather than Interstate. In any case my comfortable top speed is pretty much 60~65MPH. I can do 75MPH, but my mileage goes in the crapper, it's loud and things are shaking a lot more. I enjoy a 55MPH 2-lane a heckuva lot more.

MDH33
01-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Well, if anything, maybe I should take the HAM class so that I can keep in contact from the back of the pack. ;)

Romer
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, if anything, maybe I should take the HAM class so that I can keep in contact from the back of the pack. ;)

That would be great, then we could just use the HAM as its much clearer and has greater distance. That will greatly help in the situation when we are camping and you run to the store and are 5 miles or more away

Me: XXXX this is KDOAIF
You XXXX here
Me: Martin, can yo get some ice, chips and salsa while your there.
You: Roger that, XXXXX out

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm in for a group trip and don't plan on any solo traveling at this point. It seems that our Denver->Rubithon will be a 2-day trip covering ground rather than seeing stuff. That's not to say we're doing 100 MPH IMO, but does mean we are getting there primarily. I was hoping that a group would want to take the long way home from CA->Denver through southern Utah and SW Colorado rather than Interstate. In any case my comfortable top speed is pretty much 60~65MPH. I can do 75MPH, but my mileage goes in the crapper, it's loud and things are shaking a lot more. I enjoy a 55MPH 2-lane a heckuva lot more.

Dave,
I bet you would have company on the round about return trip....set it up! I gotta get my butt back or I would do it!

MDH33
01-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey Martin,

... I was hoping that a group would want to take the long way home from CA->Denver through southern Utah and SW Colorado rather than Interstate. ..

This sounds like it might be a good plan. :thumb:

wesintl
01-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Is it set up like moab where were on the trail from wed -sat? if so i'd be blazing home to be at work on monday. But taking the week off I could take my time getting out there.... For me slow sight seeing out, blaze home.

DaveInDenver
01-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Is it set up like moab where were on the trail from wed -sat? if so i'd be blazing home to be at work on monday. But taking the week off I could take my time getting out there.... For me slow sight seeing out, blaze home.
That's also an option. I'm still waiting to request the actual days off. I don't mind hustling back and taking extra time getting out to CA. I would like to take the ferry at Hall's Crossing, go down through Big Thomson Mesa in UT and Paradox Valley in CO. I know there's other stuff I would like to see, just haven't had time to really stop and think more about it.

Here's the route I put together: LINK (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=5040427042718733934,38.464730,-107.689420%3B13328596645148978118,38.225110,-108.505740%3B9518541631649591403,37.872810,-109.318920%3B5609075288385980417,37.405181,-110.449186%3B17776779618086990341,37.849000,-111.031340%3B13681370560056449659,37.764850,-111.683120%3B577091016184641595,38.275470,-112.641240%3B4537471741264081822,39.061849,-114.268799%3B3737752486239260004,39.474880,-118.767790%3B17286665637891930778,38.774580,-120.295730%3B3117571893585875375,39.535810,-119.811080&time=&date=&ttype=&saddr=Denver,+CO+80210+(80210)&daddr=US-50+%4038.464730,+-107.689420+to:CO-145+%4038.225110,+-108.505740+to:US-491+%4037.872810,+-109.318920+to:UT-276+%4037.405181,+-110.449186+to:Burr+Trail+Rd%2FCR-1668+%4037.849000,+-111.031340+to:UT-12+%4037.764850,+-111.683120+to:N+Main+St+%4038.275470,+-112.641240+to:39.061849,-114.268799+to:US-50+%4039.474880,+-118.767790+to:US-50+%4038.774580,+-120.295730+to:placerville,+ca&mra=pr&via=4,6,7,10&dirflg=h&sll=38.873929,-110.522461&sspn=12.239895,26.257324&ie=UTF8&z=6&om=1)

Robbie says two days, but it wouldn't bother me if it took 3.

nakman
01-16-2008, 01:30 PM
We're not going to be out of there until Sunday, and that could be Sunday afternoon. I don't think you'll be able to blaze back in time for work on Monday, but definitely in time for work on Tuesday, as that will be a lot of folks' plans. But on Sunday my understanding is it's an all day effort to get everyone loaded up and up and over Cadillac Hill.. one at a time. However while they may have us "scheduled" to do that at some time, I'm sure there's a way to sneak through sooner if you made your case. I'm taking Monday off, so I'm going to just go with the flow on Sunday.

Uncle Ben
01-16-2008, 02:58 PM
We're not going to be out of there until Sunday, and that could be Sunday afternoon. I don't think you'll be able to blaze back in time for work on Monday, but definitely in time for work on Tuesday, as that will be a lot of folks' plans. But on Sunday my understanding is it's an all day effort to get everyone loaded up and up and over Cadillac Hill.. one at a time. However while they may have us "scheduled" to do that at some time, I'm sure there's a way to sneak through sooner if you made your case. I'm taking Monday off, so I'm going to just go with the flow on Sunday.

Nak is correct! The trail head is only about 1 hour from Lake Tahoe, CA. (It's just east of Placerville. As for leaving the secret is get up and out early before the Cruiserjam! If we have to take Bruce back to the airport we can get a priority plus we get a priority as we have a long travel time home. Unless you plan on adding days the fastest route is North to I-80 then Haul butt to Reno. I'm planning on Monday to Monday off.

The Cruiserjam is a given even with the new organizing....just think about it....12 group's in over the course of 3 days, 12 groups out on Sunday! If you need to be back Monday you can burn some night oil and leave during the raffle and crank out a few hours of driving to Elko Nevada or so. Get up Sunday and drive for another 13ish hours home. Some folks will do this! Cadillac Hill get a Cruiserjam on Saturday night right after the raffle!

powderpig
01-16-2008, 06:30 PM
If you are even thinking of leaving in the dark after the raffle, I would take the 2-3 hrs to walk to the top of cadallic hill just so you know what you are getting into. There is a couple of nasty sections and if you have not seen them in the day light, it will make it that much tougher to do at night. At the corner is a real bad slanting rock and bad erroded section after that, then after about 50 yards you have a bad lean with a crack(I strattle the crack. After that is a bad left hand section up some sickish rocks, then a real bad ledge section. All in about 300 yards. the rest is fairly straight forward. You have about 2 miles before this section and about 12 after this section to get to the trail head on the tahoe side.
I would also not do this with out a spotter(two truck going out). later Robbie

60wag
01-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm.... it sounds like a later flight out of Reno on Sunday would doable - but how late? Would 4p be cutting it too close?

Romer
01-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Kevin, thanks for taking lead on this.

DaveInDenver
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Registration will begin soon! You can, however, register late, clear up to June 1.
So being a group of special kids like we are, does that mean we can register anytime up to June 1 or do we need to be sure to register early and not get shut out, like CM?

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 01:41 PM
So being a group of special kids like we are, does that mean we can register anytime up to June 1 or do we need to be sure to register early and not get shut out, like CM?

This has been done completly through Tony since the beginning so everything is on the up and up.....our group has our run and we have a say on who's in it! If you have other buds out there in TLCA land that we want in thats OK! It is a RS and friends of RS group! :thumb: Plus it sounds like we will be close and or right behind our Norcal buddys so that make it one "he double hockey sticks" of a rolling dinner party! :woot::woot: :risingsun:

Romer
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
This has been done completly through Tony since the beginning so everything is on the up and up.....our group has our run and we have a say on who's in it! If you have other buds out there in TLCA land that we want in thats OK! It is a RS and friends of RS group! :thumb:

Thought I was listening to a Democratic debate, lots of info but didn't answer the question:D

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Thought I was listening to a Democratic debate, lots of info but didn't answer the question:D

Actually, it is like politics and you just have to read between the lines! Oh and yes I did try it but I never exhaled! ;) :lmao:

Hulk
01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

Registration won't officially open until March 1 when the ad/reg. form comes out in Toyota Trails. Don't sweat it yet.

Also, since we have our own run, none of us will have any problem getting in.

Finally, Rubithon has traditionally accepted registrations from people who just show up. It is an old event, and many of the guys who have been running it for years don't bother to register in advance. Last year, they had something like 50 extra trucks show up (which threw off the dinner and t-shirt plans quite a bit). I don't think they've ever "sold out" the way we usually do with Cruise Moab.

I am creating the registration form for the event. When the form is done, I can post it somewhere in the Members Only section. We can be the first people to register for the event!

Romer
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Registration won't officially open until March 1 when the ad/reg. form comes out in Toyota Trails. Don't sweat it yet.

Finally, Rubithon has traditionally accepted registrations from people who just show up. It is an old event, and many of the guys who have been running it for years don't bother to register in advance. Last year, they had something like 50 extra trucks show up (which threw off the dinner and t-shirt plans quite a bit). I don't think they've ever "sold out" the way we usually do with Cruise Moab.

I am creating the registration form for the event. When the form is done, I can post it somewhere in the Members Only section. We can be the first people to register for the event!

I get it now. Must be a southside vs northside thing :D say, what would be our mason dixon line anyways. I-70, 36 ?

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 02:03 PM
I get it now. Must be a southside vs northside thing :D say, what would be our mason dixon line anyways. I-70, 36 ?

I thought in the beginning we decided it was an imaginary East/West line from Perry's/Wyncoop Brewery! :lmao: :thumb:

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

Cool! I was going off what Tony told me a while back that Reg would begin at the end of Jan or when the form go updated.....guess thats what your saying too! :rolleyes: :lmao:

DaveInDenver
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
That was some double speak. But then again, I'm not often accused of getting to the point quickly and being good at staying on topic, either.

Hulk
01-17-2008, 03:44 PM
I thought in the beginning we decided it was an imaginary East/West line from Perry's/Wyncoop Brewery! :lmao: :thumb:

I think Treeroot is right on that line as well, straight west of Perry. Those guys are doomed to get caught in the crossfire.

Convert
01-17-2008, 08:41 PM
For those that have fridge/freezers are there pros or cons with the Engel and Norcold units ? What about the Waeco units? Thanks in advance :thumb:

wesintl
01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
the engel, norcold, arb are essentially the same units rebadges. IMHO the industry standard for many years. I got a nice factory second norcold from RVExit 1-866-774-3450. DIdn't crash buy a waeco? maybe he can tell you how he likes it. Although i've never heard anyone really complain about the unit they have.

Here are a couple articles and comparisons
http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/tips_fridge.php
http://home.iprimus.com.au/rfh/portablefridges.html

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 10:51 PM

Would that other passenger be a friend of our favorite Canuck? ;)

Romer
01-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, when I reserached them the Engel and ARB are really the same unit. They are great though and don't take a lot of power. It was cool at the 2006 Rally having it full of ice cream sandwiches that I gave out.

Uncle Ben
01-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, when I reserached them the Engel and ARB are really the same unit. They are great though and don't take a lot of power. It was cool at the 2006 Rally having it full of ice cream sandwiches that I gave out.

That was cool that you gave those out....and thank you! :thumb::cool:

Romer
01-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Looking at the terrain in the videos and pictures makes me think a Roof Top Tent might be a smart purchase for this trip. Looks like even when you get to the lake its not level and it's a lot of rock.

Comments from those who have been there?

corsair23
01-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Looking at the terrain in the videos and pictures makes me think a Roof Top Tent might be a smart purchase for this trip. Looks like even when you get to the lake its not level and it's a lot of rock.

Comments from those who have been there?

Seems like that would be a great way to go if you could fine a level spot to part. Any concern about having that extra weight up top though? I wonder how many people attemp to tow trailers through there like what Drew is building for me, I mean himself :hill:

powderpig
01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Every year I see more and more RTTs. It seem the guys with desposiable incomes do not like sleeping on the ground that much. But In the different times I have been there, I have always been able to find a great spot to set the tent up(mostly a 2 person one). It is not until friday after noon that things get crowded. The big thing I would not forget is ear plugs to sleep with. this one thing will make the nights at the springs a little more restful.
Any how Ken, jesting aside a roof top tent is a great thing and should not hurt your center of gravity that much. Just keep everything else low. Only one or two spots where you may want to have a counter balance strap on the top for any rig(depends on the errosion of the trail.

powderpig
01-19-2008, 07:53 AM
One other big thing to discuss is a few toliets of some sort, with a couple of shower enclosures or the like for privacy. This is a pack it in, pack it out trail. There is one pit toliet at buck island lake mechanic camp(this is the place most people camp). And at the springs there are several pit toliets. Every were else you need to use a toliet and pack out the hard material. You as a group decide on how many(we trail team guys had one for each truck). I would reccommend 4 for your big group unless you do not want to share the toliet. They have Pett bags at REI, that contain all the TP, a bag for the hard material with enzymes(other wise after a couple of days they will start to expand) , in a small package for a small price. There are other methods of doing this, discuss it and figure out what you want to do. Later Robbie

Jacket
01-19-2008, 09:38 AM
For those that have fridge/freezers are there pros or cons with the Engel and Norcold units ? What about the Waeco units? Thanks in advance :thumb:

The summer edition of the Overland Journal did a review of 12V fridges (ARB, Engel, FridgeFreeze, National Luna and Waeco). I'd be happy to loan it out if you are interested.

In short, they picked the National Luna as the top overall model, but its twice the cost of the "average" fridge. They picked the Waeco CF-40 as their 2nd choice.

Romer
01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I have a shower tent in the camper I used at Flat Nasty. Sets up quick and has a floor so I would like this to be for showers only. I have one of those little propane hater showers. I was not thrilled with it and probably will leave it home. I will bring the shower tent though. It could go right next to one of the trucks with a built in shower system.

I also have one of those PETT Toilet systems with the tent. Brand new and never opened. We would need some more bags and stuff for it.

Please explain more on the counterbalance strap

Uncle Ben
01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
I have a porta tent enclosure and I also have the privacy skirt that hangs from the RTT. Sounds like I need a stink pot too! :o http://www.netshrine.com/vbulletin2/images/smilies/fart.gif