PDA

View Full Version : No volunteers?

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 07:44 AM
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?p=39557&posted=1#post39557

MDH33
07-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Maybe we should change the bylaws of the club to include a stipulation that to be a new member or to renew your membership, you have to attend a meeting, a club run and also volunteer for at least one work day per season. ;)

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Not a bad idea at all. And don't limit it to new membership! The reality being, if we do nothing, soon we'll have nothing to do but wax our antiques.

Tch2fly
07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
This must be posted in a members only section...the link doesn't work, says I don't have permission. I would like to get more involved but need to know the who what when where stuff.

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Awesome!
It is a Yankee Doodle Lake kiosk work day at John's place, 640 Colorado Blvd (south of the Methodist church at 7th), weekend of the 14th or the weekend of the 21st (and so far, no one can make the 21st). The goal is to finish the steel kiosk in preparation for installing it at Yankee Doodle Lake.

NOT limited to members by any means! But, as a twofer, it counts as a club event, so if you show up, then make a meeting, you are eligible for club membership!

Last time two folks showed up, which was greatly appreciated - but we could have finished if more showed. I guess I'm fighting discouragement after no club members showed for the Jenny Creek work day...

Tch2fly
07-06-2007, 10:32 AM
I have 2 meetings and 1 run under my belt and plan to apply for membership this Wed :D .

I can make either day at this point, so when the decision is final just let me know.:thumb:

Hulk
07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
It is a Yankee Doodle Lake kiosk work day at John's place, 640 Colorado Blvd (south of the Methodist church at 7th), weekend of the 14th or the weekend of the 21st (and so far, no one can make the 21st). The goal is to finish the steel kiosk in preparation for installing it at Yankee Doodle Lake.

Last time two folks showed up, which was greatly appreciated - but we could have finished if more showed. I guess I'm fighting discouragement...

I'll try to make it on the 14th. Again, even proposing a work day on the same weekend as the very popular Ghost Town Run (on the 21st) is unwise. We shouldn't set ourselves up for failure and then complain when no one shows up.

I will also say that this kiosk project kind of appeared out of the blue for me. Is this a leftover from last year? I think if we'd had it mentioned at the last RS meeting, you'd have had plenty of volunteers.

Finally, I'd like us all to remember that our club is supposed to be fun. It's always a hoot for me to hang out with all y'all, and that's the way it should be. We need to be wary of taking on too many commitments, lest membership in Rising Sun become more of an obligation than a welcome chance to hang out with friends and have some laughs.

In the time that I've been in the club, we've gone from this:
Event: Cruise Moab
Adopted trail: Deadman's Creek
to this:
Event: Cruise Moab
Event: Rally
Adopted trail: Jenny Creek
Adopted trail: Argentine
Assist on the trail: Slaughterhouse Gulch
Raffle vehicle: CO Assoc of 4WD Clubs
I think we'll continue to do great things, but let's be wary before accepting any new projects.

Also, please remember that you'll attract mo' flies with honey than vinegar. ;)

timmbuck2
07-06-2007, 11:10 AM
I'll do my best to show up this weekend...do we have a specific day and time yet?

I was there for the Jenny Creek Work Day...I just could not find you. :)

T

Awesome!

NOT limited to members by any means! But, as a twofer, it counts as a club event, so if you show up, then make a meeting, you are eligible for club membership!

Last time two folks showed up, which was greatly appreciated - but we could have finished if more showed. I guess I'm fighting discouragement after no club members showed for the Jenny Creek work day...

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I'll try to make it on the 14th. Again, even proposing a work day on the same weekend as the very popular Ghost Town Run (on the 21st) is unwise. We shouldn't set ourselves up for failure and then complain when no one shows up. yeah, the 21st seems like a non-starter.

I will also say that this kiosk project kind of appeared out of the blue for me. Is this a leftover from last year? I think if we'd had it mentioned at the last RS meeting, you'd have had plenty of volunteers.

Some early posts in that 'other' forum :lmao: (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=3793&highlight=kiosk) Yeah, I brought it up but things do disappear in the background noise, I know we all are busy and distractable.

Also, please remember that you'll attract mo' flies with honey than vinegar. ;)
You know me, all sweetness and light!:cheers:

Beater
07-06-2007, 01:32 PM
look - not everyone is going on the ghost town run. I know I am not. In fact, I doubt that 1/3rd of the club is going. Not being pissy, just sayin'

In any event, I posted a poll, and hardly anyone posted an opinion.

We will be starting at 8am, sharp on the 14th. We only need 4 people, for 4 hours. We also need to have someone pick me up an 8"x10' piece of strap, 3/16ths thick, on the way, at altitude steel. I will have the order placed, and ready for pickup for whomever comes through denver to get my place.

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I'll do my best to show up this weekend...do we have a specific day and time yet?

I was there for the Jenny Creek Work Day...I just could not find you. :)

TThanks, Tim- and apologies for broadbrushing! Thanks for tryin'!

MDH33
07-06-2007, 02:26 PM
look - not everyone is going on the ghost town run. I know I am not. In fact, I doubt that 1/3rd of the club is going. Not being pissy, just sayin'

In any event, I posted a poll, and hardly anyone posted an opinion.

We will be starting at 8am, sharp on the 14th. We only need 4 people, for 4 hours. We also need to have someone pick me up an 8"x10' piece of strap, 3/16ths thick, on the way, at altitude steel. I will have the order placed, and ready for pickup for whomever comes through denver to get my place.

I will be coming from NW Denver, but I don't know where Altitude Steel is. If you give me the details, I'll pick it up. :thumb:

Red_Chili
07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Altitude Steel is on Colfax (OLD industrial Colfax, not the viaduct) where it goes by the railroad tracks. Kinda hard to describe, but it is listed. Here is the addy:
Altitude Steel
(303) 534-7075
1824 W Colfax Ave
Denver, CO 80204-2422

I get to it from the south, using Kalamath to 13th or something IIRC. There ya go, perfectly useless Chili directions.

Beater
07-06-2007, 09:44 PM
The Workday Is The 14th. Not Tomorrow