PDA

View Full Version : Now J+1 in front

nakman
07-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Installed some Mr. Gaskets up front today, wanted to see how my "level" truck handles. I like the looks so far, and sitting in it is very noticeable.. but so far have only gone outside the garage then back in. This is only temporary (of course :rolleyes:) if I like the associated steering and vibration issues, or lack thereof, then I'll be swapping out the fronts for either Christo's 4"ers or some of the OME competition coils in the same ride height. I think I've got about 4.5" of lift now, give or take... :blah:

Only pic so far is still in the garage

acon40
07-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Never got a chance to ask you when you came by.....which tend setup is that.....I like how you have it in the garage....I might have to bite that style haha.

nakman
07-07-2007, 07:40 PM
that would be the "first gen" Monbassa tent from Jenny Cruiser. Definitely not as nice as the newer ones, but quite a bit cheaper.

Shark Bait
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Installed some Mr. Gaskets up front today.

Looking good, Tim! :thumb: How long did it take you? I should have come up to help. :rolleyes:

nakman
07-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Looking good, Tim! :thumb: How long did it take you? I should have come up to help. :rolleyes:

1 hr. Goes quicker the 4th or 5th time you do this, everything that needs to come loose comes loose pretty easy. :D

Also drove to dinner, I now seem to pull to the right just a little bit more than before. That makes sense I think, since I didn't do anything to lengthen the panhard. May try to twist the tie rod in a little bit tomorrow night to compensate.

ginericLC
07-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I did the same basic experiment that you did. I went with Js and then a 1.5" steel bolt in spacer. Now I'm using the 419 Comps with no spacers. I actually sit higher now than I did with the Js and the spacer. I can't recall how much. I think I posted it on Mud.

I think the Comps or Slee's 4" with a J in the rear is a good combo for a lot of people. I think it works well for the Slee 4" and I'm liking what I have now more than ever.

nakman
07-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Thanks for piping in Eric.. so are you are still running J's in back then? It looks like your back is actually a little lower than the front (this is the thread, right? http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=150916)

I'm leaning towards 422's, with either 419's in front or Christo's 4's. Lots of options these days in this range. Also what are you running for control arm, castor, & ds? I currently have stock arms with OME bushings, stock control arms, stock driveshaft..

I know the next level for steering is to twist the axle up a little more, which probably means castor plates and a DC shaft. My steering is still pretty good though, so I may just leave it, since to improve steering you increase vibration potential..

edit: then again I think I'm heavier in front than you so maybe your setup will be right on after all. (M12 w/ steel cable, dual batts, york, ARB)

edit2: otoh, maybe I should go for 418's in front and see how they ride, could always space them up a bit if too low. Those 419's look tall!

ginericLC
07-08-2007, 07:10 AM
I am still running Js in front. I might be a smidgen nose high with the 419s when I'm fairly empty (just tools and parts that I carry). After my trip to the Rubithon loaded I'm thinking of adding a spacer in the rear. I actually thought of just using an OME trim packer. Arghhh! why did I give those away? Also the pictures on Mud were taken right after I installed them. They have settled a bit now and the nose is not as high as in the pictures. If it is cool enough to go outside I'll try to take a current photo today.

I think you are right that a 12k winch with an ARB would help bring the front end down a lot. I have a 9k Warn and very light POS temporary bumper which has been on 18 months. When the pictures were taken on Mud I did not have my dual batteries yet. I've been waiting to do anything because I've been waiting on a new front bumper. No sense in getting excited about suspension changes until everything is finalized. I ordered my front bumper in Feb. and still didn't get it. The guy is supposedly sending me my money back.

For Caster I run the Slee plates. Install is so much easier than the bushings. Plus I prefer the OEM rubber bushings to the OME bushings. They flex a lot more and you don't get as much binding with the OEM bushings. Other than this I'm completely stock (well sway bar drops). I have a stock drive shaft with no vibes. In reading a lot of Christo's posts really at the 4" mark it is a crap shoot. Some folks have drive line problems and others do not. I'm not as educated on these matters as somebody like Christo but I think the problem is in the condition of the U joints. If a U joint has been run 100k basically in the same position and then we lift it and change that angle we are disturbing the wear pattern and a vibration is introduced. However, I also know from others experiences that this is still a crap shoot. Some folks have good new U joints and still get a vibration.

The only downside of installing the Slee plates is grinding on the control arms and this is not a strength issue but a time and energy issue. With that said it is much easier job installing the plates and grinding the control arms than pushing out the bushings.

Tch2fly
07-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Installed some Mr. Gaskets up front today, wanted to see how my "level" truck handles. I like the looks so far, and sitting in it is very noticeable.. but so far have only gone outside the garage then back in. This is only temporary (of course :rolleyes:) if I like the associated steering and vibration issues, or lack thereof, then I'll be swapping out the fronts for either Christo's 4"ers or some of the OME competition coils in the same ride height. I think I've got about 4.5" of lift now, give or take... :blah:

Only pic so far is still in the garage

Are you running Js in the rear??

I have the same issues with weight up front (M12 dual batts etc) and I went with Js and 1.5" steel spacers to level it up with my std 863s in the rear.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/lcarb008.jpg
This past week I was loaded really heavy (3 biles with rack on stacked hitch with my popup trailer etc etc, only thing missing was the canoe) and the rear sagged alot. I don't want to raise the rear much when empty so I'm not sure Js or longer comp springs are the answer.
Anybody have any experience with 864s under light loads??
Maybe I am better off with airbags??

ginericLC
07-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Here are the photos of my rig as it currently sits. Js in the rear and 419s in the front.

I do have dual batteries. The rig is currently loaded in the rear. Spare driveshaft, birfields, hubs, tools, etc... A lot of junk!

nakman
07-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Eric it still looks like you're a bit higher in front than in back, nttawwt, just what it looks like from here. I like it, but I'm shooting for dead nuts level, or slightly lower in front.. so that when I load up or hook up the trailer it levels out. I'm less scared about he 419's now with these additional pics from you though, thanks, I think with my extra weight the 419's will be just about perfect.

If I move my castor up to plates then I'll change my driveline angle and roll the dice on vibrations... staying at bushings or stock keeps you safe there, but obviously steering becomes incrimentally squirlier with higher lift height. I'll probably ultimately end up doing the plates, then pick up the DC shaft from Slee, and know it's done right.

Mike the 863J's will be about an inch taller than your 863's, all other things remaining constant. 864's would be right about the same height as your 863's, but they won't sag as much under load. From my research, I know that out of all the options in this range (OME, FOR, OME Comp, Christo's 4) the OME 864 has the highest spring rate. And I'm pretty sure in rank order from low to high the spring rates are 863(j), then the Slee 4", then OME comp, then 864, with the Slee 4 and OME comp being very similar. FOR is progressive rate so it's going to start in the 863 range but then wind up in the Slee/Comp range under higher load. Yes I'm running J's in the rear. Slee control arms, stock panhard.

Nay is our resident FOR expert so Dave please correct me if I'm wrong, and same to you Christo if you agree/disagree.. but I'm pretty sure that's the gist of it. hth...