PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean metal before paint?

Rezarf
07-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Looking to paint some raw metal...

Is there a better wipe down chemical than others?

Laquer thinner?
Xylene (sp?)
Acetone?

I have always used laquer thinner but was wondering if there is something better that is readily available?

Thanks-

Drew

DaveInDenver
07-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Acetone?

That's what I use, since it dries fast and doesn't leave an residue. I also usually have it around since I use it when I doing fiberglass repairs on the 'Nest.

Uncle Ben
07-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Looking to paint some raw metal...

Is there a better wipe down chemical than others?

Laquer thinner?
Xylene (sp?)
Acetone?

I have always used laquer thinner but was wondering if there is something better that is readily available?

Thanks-

Drew

Are you using reducer in the thinner? If so then wipe down with reducer. lacquer thinner will cause wrinkling if you are using reducer for thinning. Best prep is green scotch brite bads and ammonia water.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
07-08-2007, 01:23 PM
mineral spirits have worked well for me.

ginericLC
07-08-2007, 02:17 PM
I use acetone and white paper towels. Blue ones will leave a residue.

Rezarf
07-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Are you using reducer in the thinner? If so then wipe down with reducer. lacquer thinner will cause wrinkling if you are using reducer for thinning. Best prep is green scotch brite bads and ammonia water.

UB-

Is there a proportion of water to ammonia? I love the 3M Sandblaster pads, they work awesome!

Thanks guys!

Drew

Uncle Ben
07-08-2007, 02:50 PM
UB-

Is there a proportion of water to ammonia? I love the 3M Sandblaster pads, they work awesome!

Thanks guys!

Drew

I just make a strong mix but don't really measure anything. Prolly 3-4:1. If your painting aluminum use vinegar. Rinse with clean water, towel dry, hit it with compressed air, tack wipe and spray.