PDA

View Full Version : Shall I or Shan't I?

subzali
07-12-2007, 11:17 PM
'tis the question.

I don't like diamond plate. Never have. Only reason I see for it is to cover up some already rusted metal that you're planning on banging on rocks anyway. The way I see it my truck is not necessarily going to see that kind of service. So I started pulling it today to see what I got. I found I got good metal in the "bed" of the 40. That big flat piece that was back there is gone forever. If anyone wants it they can have it, it's like 3' by 3', or whatever the "bed" size of a 40 is.

The next question is this: what about the quarter panels? Ultimately I would like to do a rust repair/body panel repair/weld repair on the whole truck and repaint hopefully on-frame like Treeroot did. Under the diamond plate is no specific body protection, and there's no seal at the moment, so friendly things like water and dirt can get in there now. There's a little surface rust at the moment, not sure quite how much since I didn't have it in daylight nor washed, but I'm thinking that even though there is no protection at the moment it would be better to have those surfaces exposed to air where they can dry and be cleaned rather than have them trapped behind diamond plate. It's just that the look with the d/p removed is going to be horrific until I can get to it right the way I want, which is really a big unknown. I can't really say that it would happen until possibly next summer at the earliest.

So what's the best way to save my metal?

What would you do? Run with an ugly truck that may be conserving precious quarter panel metal or run with a better looking truck that may be in the early stages of parasitic weight loss?

nakman
07-12-2007, 11:27 PM
IMO, keep the diamond plate on until you can do the fenders. Those quarter panels are toast no matter what, you wouldn't be saving them by removing it now.

art hog
07-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I will take the dimond plate when yor are ready to get rid of it. and the wire rope when ever.

Terry

treerootCO
07-13-2007, 10:37 AM
diamond plate is evil. I took mine off and was forced to start repairs because it was the only thing holding it together.

Hulk
07-13-2007, 12:40 PM
I've had my 40 for 8 years. The diamond plate was on it when I bought it. I've never wanted to look underneath, lest I end up with a project I wasn't looking to do. I don't like it much, but it's not rusty.

Red_Chili
07-13-2007, 12:57 PM
And here I was, kinda wishing my 4Runner had flat panels to do diamond plate or fender extensions!

Can you just primer it for now? Or is it 'holy'?

treerootCO
07-13-2007, 12:58 PM
his real problem I don't think he mentioned is that his truck is actually purple. He is afraid to let his metro side show after taking off his diamond plate :D

subzali
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
his real problem I don't think he mentioned is that his truck is actually purple. He is afraid to let his metro side show after taking off his diamond plate :D

:D :p: How do you know about that? I'm thinking I could put some kind of primer/paint on it for now, just not sure if that really is the route I want to go. I'm thinking it would be worse for the metal down the road to leave it on. Maybe I'll take one side off today (now that the red truck is fixed hopefully), take some pictures, and post them up and we'll go from there.

treerootCO
07-13-2007, 01:16 PM
I know all and see all:p:

It's ok if you want to drive a purple 40. Rising Sun is a diverse community.

Uncle Ben
07-13-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't mind diamond plate as long as it's not excessive. It does ward off quite a few dents. The problem is dissimilar metal corrosion! If ya just slap on some aluminum it will quickly wear through the paint and the sheet metal will speed up the dissolving process immediately! I paint the backside of my aluminum with polyester rosin (fiberglass rosin). It's very easy and cheap to do and it insulates the metals from each other. I've seen/heard of guys using Herculiner and even undercoating with the same positive results.

corsair23
07-13-2007, 01:46 PM
I guess I'm contrary to many here but I like the look of the diamond plated quarters...Not much more than that though. I toyed with the idea of doing a little diamond plate on the rockers to ward off boot kicks and what not but the sliders I have come up enough to hopefully protect the area.

As for yours Matt, if the quarters are anything like the ones on my old '76 were I'd just leave the diamond plate on till you're ready to replace the quarters.

subzali
07-13-2007, 08:55 PM
pictures

subzali
07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
with or without? As you may or may not be able to see the metal is still very much there and repairable easily. The quarters have already been replaced once and it looks like instead of trying to get the surface perfect the PO decided to put diamond plate on it. Fair enough, won't really argue with that except I just don't like it. I'm thinking now that I'll sand down this surface, go to Earl Scheib where the paint is from, get a rattle can made up in the same color and do a quick prime and paint to tide it over until I can learn how to weld and get the time and space to do it the way I really want to.

MDH33
07-13-2007, 09:07 PM
clean it up and let it breath the free air agian. :thumb:

A little rust looks at home on a cruiser.

wesintl
07-13-2007, 10:22 PM
well.. that's not too bad. Looks like a little electrolysis but not too bad.

Bhrama looks good either way Matt!

nakman
07-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Ok that doesn't look as bad as I thought, I'm switching votes. rip that stuff off and start dressing up those fenders, they're definitely not that far gone..

corsair23
07-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Ok that doesn't look as bad as I thought, I'm switching votes. rip that stuff off and start dressing up those fenders, they're definitely not that far gone..

x2

I guess I forgot you had the BIG diamond plate :hill:. And, you don't have any areas where the PO's idea of "addressing" the rust in the rear quarters was simply to cut the rust out. I've learned how to phrase questions better since then :rolleyes:

subzali
07-15-2007, 07:18 AM
Actually the PO did cut the rust out. Those whole quarter panels are replacement panels. This is just new rust that has developed since the d/p has been on, but it's pretty much just on the surface.

Rzeppa
07-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Yep, doesn't look bad at all. Heck, that's what many would call a "rust-free" cruiser :-)

I'd blast it to get into the irregular bumpies before priming and painting. Regular sanding won't get into the pits.

For those who do have serious QP rust issues, there are other alternatives to CCOT and Heritage panels.

See what former Rising Sun Commander Rob Meredith and his brother Rick did to Rob's 1965 FJ40 here (http://www.geocities.com/Baja/Trails/6963/fixn65/). The photo below is Rick holding up the home-made QP.

Rezarf
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Matt-

I would suggest a few things...

1. Clean up the quarters, and rattle can them, Sherwin Williams can color match in a spray can for 10 bucks a can... or

2. Clean up the fenders, do what Kevin suggested, and seal the edges and reinstall the DP until you are ready to fix it right.

YOu are on the right track trying to do it right once.

Rezarf <><