PDA

View Full Version : What Rising Sun is all about

Hulk
07-13-2007, 03:15 PM
There are many people in the Rising Sun 4WD club, and all of us contribute different things. For those new to the club, whether they just found this web site or just joined the club, this thread will provide an overview of what we're all about.

----------------------------------------

First and foremost, we're a group of friends. You join for the shared interest, which is Toyota 4x4s and wheelin'. You stay a member because you meet a great group of diverse people and they become your favorite group of friends. We have a lot of fun hanging out with each other, whether it's wrenching on a truck, drinking a few beers, or taking a trip to the wilderness that would be inaccessible without a fine Toyota truck.

We're a group of responsible four wheelers. That means we stay on the trail, pick up trash and haul it out, and do trail maintenance projects both big and small. We also share our knowledge about how to handle obstacles without hurting yourself or your vehicle. (I know I've learned a lot about how to drive off road.) If there is breakage on the trail, we always help out until we get the vehicle fixed and off the trail.

We're a chapter of TLCA (http://tlca.org/). Our bylaws state that if you're a club member of Rising Sun, and you own a Toyota 4x4, you must maintain an active membership in TLCA.

We organize Cruise Moab, the annual TLCA-sanctioned event in Moab, Utah. It's a big event, with 200 trucks and 350 people. We make some money on the event, which we donate to land use organizations. It's great to be able to support the organizations that help keep our trails open.

Feel free to add more to this thread or ask questions.

Romer
07-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Being part of the club brings several benifits
1) You learn about great places to 4wheel
2) You go with a group of similar minded folks who lead you on these trails
3) You wheel with the club because you know that if you get hurt or your truck breaks down the other club members will get you and your rig home even if it means camping out with you while other members run to get parts and come back. You are not left alone.
4) With the club you have resources to learn how to wheel and learn how to work on your truck.
5) Your provided with fun and rewarding ways to give back to the community with your friends.

The club members become your friends and help you out with non wheeling stuff when your other friends won't answer the phone.

Hulk
07-13-2007, 03:50 PM
Membership Philosophy
This is not the formal membership stuff from our bylaws (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/rsbylawsrevjan0202.doc). This is our membership philosophy, at least as it has been over the last few years.

Rising Sun is an open club. Anyone is free to hang out with the club. You should feel no pressure to "join" immediately in order to participate. We're not here to take your money, win some award for the huge number of our members, or raise a bunch of money by getting as many members as possible. We try to keep our egos out of the membership recruitment formula.

There are a few minimum requirements to joining the club. You must attend at least one meeting and at least one club event before you can join. A club event could be a trail run, a work project, a family picnic, or virtually anything else we do as a group. Finally, you have to fill out a membership application and pay some dues (currently $50 each year).

We welcome new members, and add a few new members every meeting.

It's a self-selecting group. That's to say: if you want to be a part of us, then we'll probably see you at meetings, trail runs, etc., and you'll be part of the group.

If the club isn't your thing, or if you get busy because of work or family, no one will call you and pressure you into joining for another year. And if your situation changes a few years later and you show up again, you'll be welcomed back. Once a member, always a member.

Rzeppa
07-15-2007, 06:22 PM
It's a self-selecting group. That's to say: if you want to be a part of us, then we'll probably see you at meetings, trail runs, etc., and you'll be part of the group.

If the club isn't your thing, or if you get busy because of work or family, no one will call you and pressure you into joining for another year. And if your situation changes a few years later and you show up again, you'll be welcomed back. Once a member, always a member.Very well written Matt! Pretty much what I would have written had I seen this earlier!

Welcome to Rising Sun!

Tch2fly
07-15-2007, 07:06 PM
As one of the newest club members (although long time forum lurker) I don't have history to share but I think the events of this weekend speak volumes about what it is to be part of Rising Sun. It is obvious the things said by Hulk and Romer are true.

Members working on club projects that effect the entire community - The Jenny Creek Kiosk project. Although short-handed the project was completed and for many years to come it will be something that reaches far beyond the club.

Members working on club projects that effect the club and 4 wheeling community - Ige (and anyone who may have gone today) spent two days selling tickets for raffle truck.

Members helping out friends in need - look at what has gone on to fix the issues Treeroot is having with the city. This is obviously the result of the true friendships that were made while being members of RS.

All of these things going on at the same time, with some members involved in more than one of the efforts. Here's to you Rising Sun
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers::cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Shark Bait
07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Without getting too sappy about it, and I've said it before, I'm really proud when I see what the club has become. What it's turned into from the time I joined in 1993 to the present. Rising Sun has been a club since 1981. We're probably one of the strongest clubs in the TLCA and the Colorado Association, if not the strongest. From the old news letter we had we added the mailing list. Then the website. TLCA and Cruise Moab got us a lot of attention, which brought in members. Then we put the forum on the website. The local projects we've been involved in, like the Spring Creek Adopt-a-Trail and now Jenny Creek have given us some extra purpose, once in a while. And we go wheeling. A lot!

We're a group of friends with a common interest. We're like family, but we don't have to live with each other, thankfully. :D It would be wonderful if everyone could volunteer their time to the various project's we've taken on. Some can, and some can not, and that's OK. We're not going to force anyone. Seeing the club respond to treeroot's ordeal this weekend was WAY cool. That's just the way Rising Sun is. Hopefully it inspires others to step up and help. And also makes you feel OK about asking, if you need to.

You know, you look at the club roster, or you look around in club meetings and you see this person or that person and think, "Wow, it's way cool that that guy's here". And it is! And we've got a lot of "those" kind of people in our club. A boatload!! But you don't have to be a star to be in Rising Sun. You're just one of the gang. That's cool.

:cheers:

nakman
07-16-2007, 08:14 AM
All great stuff! hard to add to that...

I joined this club because I knew virtually nothing, other than the fact that I wanted to learn more about how to work on the truck I had just bought. I never realized how many opportunities I'd have to "give back," and even fairly quickly thereafter. So I've stayed with the club because it now works two ways... one is fulfilling my needs, the other is being able to fulfill some of other people's needs. Then pitching in on group projects, and volunteering with my friends is just icing on the cake..

:risingsun:

Blonderockstar
07-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi- I'm hoping this message goes to Matt. I am a new member and want to get involved in the events and stuff but am not sure even where to look or how to use the forum. Can someone contact me about this via phone or through here?
thanks!BRS

wesintl
07-16-2007, 10:17 AM
It's all here. Events are in the event planning section and on the calendar.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/calendar.php Show up or post that you will be coming to the specified event.

A meeting will also help you meet us and get more information.
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=835

bh4rnnr
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
I became invlved with Rising Sun after a run in with a fellow member Madison W. After my first Cruise Moab(02) and meeting, I was hooked. It's folks like Dave "Red Fox" Brown, Chris Hatfield, Neil Quigly, Jeff Zepp, Greg Luer, Matt Farr, Ige, Scott Yoder, Bill Morgan, Kevin Erhilick, Mike Davidson, Kipper Stiever, Wes Worek, Tim Nakari, Steve Crase, Daniel Markofsky, who help make Rising Sun what it is. People who go beyond the call of duty. I want to thank all who have helped get Rising Sun where it is today. It sure is a treat to wheel with you folks:beer::beer: :beer: