PDA

View Full Version : Help needed this weekend thread....

treerootCO
07-13-2007, 06:12 PM
I have 4 days to move out all the Cruisers I own, clear my property of everything that isn't bolted down, weed the front/rear, and repaint my house. There is a thread in the members section with more details as to why but the short story is the city would like me to be "normal" according to their definition, not mine.

I had emergency back surgery on the 26th of June and I am supposed to take it easy and not do anything for awhile. One of the reasons I injured myself was I was trying to clean up the yard. This is going to be incredibly hard both emotionally and physically for me and I am starting to doubt if it is even possible to meet their demands. If you didn't see the other thread, I contacted our resident real estate attorney and this extension is all they are willing to offer. I have multiple contractors that should be by Saturday to give me a bid on painting the house. If that falls through I plan on starting as soon as the yard is clear.

I have had plenty of offers to help out this weekend and I truly appreciate that. I'll try to be up early Saturday and I plan on working through the night and all through Sunday. I may push on through Sunday night but I have to go to work Monday morning.

If anyone is free this evening, I am going to try to get all the weeding completed and start moving parts into the garage.

Thank you in advance and I hope to repay everyone somehow in the end. I am trying to remain as optimistic as possible, but I got myself into this and, injured or not, it is my responsibility to get myself out. I would rather be paralyzed than have to deal with the city any longer.

gr8fulabe
07-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Mike,

I'm sorry but I am leaving town in a bit & will be gone until Sunday afternoon, so I won't be able to physically help you.

But, if you need a place to park your cruisers for a while & you remember how to get to my house, you are welcome to park them along the Driveway/treeline area just above my house. I would think you could park quite a large number of them there (maybe all, I don't know how many you have now). We are going to list the house in a few months, so you would have to move them eventually, but you have a free spot for the next few months anyway. -- Just don't be stealing my carb/oilpan/manifolds that are sitting out front of my house! :)

Beater
07-13-2007, 06:51 PM
I will be there sunday. Rising sun would not be rising sun without this man. STEP UP PEOPLE

treerootCO
07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Just so people know where I am coming from, this is the way the house looked when I bought it. It was condemned and an eyesore to the community.

MDH33
07-13-2007, 07:34 PM
I'll be there Saturday afternoon after helping with the Jenny Creek kiosk at Green Machines. :thumb: :beer:

Romer
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
I'll be there in the morning Mike

subzali
07-13-2007, 09:09 PM
I'll be there first thing Sunday morning. How early you planning on starting?

wesintl
07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
I'll be there sat afternoon

nakman
07-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I'll see you this weekend for sure, save me some heavy stuff.

timmbuck2
07-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I will be there Saturday afternoon and probably Sunday afternoon...

corsair23
07-13-2007, 10:39 PM
I plan to try to make it Sunday, at least for awhile. Wife decided we need to have a garage sale tomorrow so I'm hosed on helping both on the Kiosk and you tomorrow.

Anything special you need people to bring? Gloves, weed eaters, trash bags, trailer, power washer, etc?

treerootCO
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
I am working on the front yard tonight. These LED headlamps are handy! I should have all the weeding done but it will need to be bagged tomorrow. I should have ordered a roll off but I didn't think about that until tonight. Normally I would just compost it all but I am thinking the city would find a way to fine me for that. Depending on when I stop working tonight, I should be up around 6:00am tomorrow. If I am not up, please wake me. I'll have the phone on me. Gloves, shovels, rakes, trash bags, beers, maybe trailers if we really get stuff going tomorrow. Does anyone own a power washer? I'll go to the store tomorrow morning and pick up breakfast for all who are here and I'll grill up some bratwurst for lunch. I live a block from the store so I can also cater to specific diets.

Shark Bait
07-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I have a gas powered power washer you're welcome to borrow. I could run it up there tomorrow morning.

corsair23
07-14-2007, 01:50 AM
I've got an electric power washer...At least I think it is electric (which somehow doesn't see right as I type this :eek:)...Home Depot job I bought when I envisioned painting my house a few years back...Been used once :(

If nothing else it would be a start on getting the house powerwashed but I don't have anyway to get it up to you till hopefully Sunday. If anyone from down South is headed up to Mike's tomorrow and wants to swing by and grab it I'll be home all day garage selling.

bigbluefj
07-14-2007, 02:35 AM
dude i'd be there in two second's if i could, hope thing's work out for you....

kevin

acon40
07-14-2007, 08:16 AM
Man, i wish could help...mother is in town from VA so stuck with that. If you still need help next week with some stuff let me know...

Romer
07-14-2007, 08:37 AM
On my way up, I'll call to see if you need anything

Shark Bait
07-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Anyone else helping today? I'll run up for a while. ;)

acon40
07-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Have him post a update so if he falls behind some of us can make it if needed.

treerootCO
07-14-2007, 03:34 PM
The update is that we are making progress.... :)

corsair23
07-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Still on for tomorrow?

SROR/AKA 2BAD
07-14-2007, 05:55 PM
mike, if i can make it, i'll up sunday afternoon.

Shark Bait
07-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Made a lot of progress in Mike's back yard. The place looks 1000% better. Mostly what's left to be done is haul trash out and move vehicles. Oh, and paint, but we may have a line on that for him. :D

Jeff, your trailer may come in handy to haul the 2F to Tim's place. Check with Mike, though.

treerootCO
07-14-2007, 08:06 PM
Everyone thank you!!! The work that was done today was unreal. Romer kept me in line and I only moved around the little stuff. The big items are all in their home with a few exceptions that will be taken care of tomorrow. There is work for tomorrow for anyone that wants to come by. I can use the help.

Thank you again!!

Beater
07-14-2007, 10:22 PM
I am still planning on coming by with my trailer, to get the umbrella, trunks, and firewood. Is that still cool?

treerootCO
07-15-2007, 07:40 AM
I am going to leave the firewood and see what she says.

Beater
07-15-2007, 07:56 AM
ok - easier on me!

Shark Bait
07-15-2007, 06:44 PM
So what's the lowdown?

Rzeppa
07-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Phone call answered, see ya shortly!

SROR/AKA 2BAD
07-15-2007, 08:47 PM
sorry i couldn't make it mike :(

Kipper
07-15-2007, 09:54 PM
dude, i just saw this thread! i'll come by tuesday after work if you'll be around.

corsair23
07-15-2007, 10:01 PM
The folks over at Mike's on Saturday made PHENOMENAL progress! All I had ever seen was before pictures and when I arrived Sunday I was wondering what the city could possibly be complaing about :thumb:

So much so that most of today was filled up with transporting rigs and trying to make the dirt in the back look "purdy" :)

Mike, sorry we didn't get it all raked up and bagged but Martin and I ran out of bags and I think I was extra crispy by that point :eek:

...Should have taken you up on the offer for sunscreen :(

If you need some more help after work this week let me know. Might be able to swing by for an hour or two with the girls.

Shark Bait
07-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah. His garage is now like a CIA bracelet, or something. He could probably sell off old cruiser parts a little at a time just to get by. :eek: :D

Pics? :grinpimp:

Hulk
07-16-2007, 12:39 AM
I was on kid duty all day, since my wife completed another triathalon. I could probably do a Tuesday evening thang, too, if you need some more cleanup.

treerootCO
07-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Just wrapped up another 45 run up to kittredge...

Everyone thank you again!!! I could not even think of taking on a project like this without the help. This is a bad situation I am in and with the backing of all the kind folks of Rising Sun, it was taken care of above and beyond.

Thank you...

Shark Bait
07-16-2007, 01:24 AM
:woot: Looking good, Mike!! :cool:

subzali
07-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Just let me say Rising Sun is awesome, and whoever is messing with Mike is having second thoughts. :risingsun:

Uncle Ben
07-16-2007, 09:34 AM
Right on Mike! Thank you fellow RS'ers! :thumb: :thumb: :risingsun

Kipper
07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
I don't believe my eyes. You guys kicks some serious arse to say the least.

Red_Chili
07-16-2007, 12:07 PM
You need to call 9News. Shed a little light on this little governmental intrusion! And on the friends you have - bet the rental yard guy wasn't planning on THAT!!!

He's gonna hafta take an extra Prozac today.

treerootCO
07-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I cannot believe how lucky we are to be a part of this great club. :risingsun: is an understatement. I have an doctors appointment with the neurosurgeon today and will have an update soon. Other than more stress I have ever felt I believe I will come out of this without any long term issues. This is one of those life lessons we all have to face and personally I learned a lot. Although I have lost faith in my local government, I am in a better place now and should have this behind me soon.

Thank you isn't even close to the gratitude I am feeling at the moment. I am indebted to you all.

Thank you....

Mike D.

Romer
07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Mike, I am sure I speak for everyone when I say your are an important member of our club and a damn nice guy to boot. I remember before I even joined the club you offered me an old engine when I thought I needed one for free. I had never meet you personally and only knew you from Mud. You will help anyone else out when you can. It was my privilidge to be able to help you.

corsair23
07-17-2007, 11:56 AM
So is there anything left that needs to be done Mike? 20th is D day correct?

Let us know. As of right now my only availability would be Thursday after work so if there are any last minute things that need to be done post them up!!

Hulk
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
I could come by tonight or (preferably) tomorrow night (Wednesday). Let me know -- I'm glad to do it.

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 01:00 PM
I was just by Mike's place, and it looks amazing! I can't speak 100% for what else is needed, but all I saw were a few bags of "yard waste". I grabbed a few, but there are still some left. Other than that, it looks ready to sell! :)

Timm

acon40
07-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I Agrre, It was nice to meet you and talk about the cruisers.....you know where I work and if you ever need ANYTHING let me know.....

corsair23
07-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Awesome! Did you peek out back? I would say when Martin and I left Sunday it was 50-75% done.

Most of the fence line had been raked and cleared and the area behind the garage was all complete except for the where the FJ40 tub was sitting. There was probably 2-3 bags worth of "stuff" raked up into piles that needed to be bagged. Then when the last of the cruisers were moved out a final raking and general going over looking for nut, bolts, washers, etc. needed to be done.

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
yeah, I wandered back there...a few bags of stuff was all that was left! Amazing job everyone...

Awesome! Did you peek out back? I would say when Martin and I left Sunday it was 50-75% done.

Most of the fence line had been raked and cleared and the area behind the garage was all complete except for the where the FJ40 tub was sitting. There was probably 2-3 bags worth of "stuff" raked up into piles that needed to be bagged. Then when the last of the cruisers were moved out a final raking and general going over looking for nut, bolts, washers, etc. needed to be done.

treerootCO
07-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I need to visit the neurosurgeon today after work then I'll be home. Not much at all to do. Drag trash to the curb, clean up the sidewalks, and find a home for all the yard tools.

corsair23
07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
When's trash day? If any of this can wait till Thursday night I'll be over :thumb:

Rock Dog
07-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I believe trash day for Mike is Friday, but i believe the "Lady" was coming over tomorrow (wed).
I am impressed with the way the Club stepped up to Help out Mike!
What an awsome group!

Mike i hope all goes well with the neurosurgeon. Keep us all posted :)

My neibor's son commented that the "new cruiser" looks cooler than my Red 40.. But what does he know, he's is just a kid....

Rzeppa
07-17-2007, 08:43 PM
My neibor's son commented that the "new cruiser" looks cooler than my Red 40.. But what does he know, he's is just a kid....My next door neighbors thought I'd brought home a Scout...I explained Mikes situation and they were not only cool with it but wanted to know where they could get a 45LV :-)

nuclearlemon
07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
I believe trash day for Mike is Friday, but i believe the "Lady" was coming over tomorrow (wed).
I am impressed with the way the Club stepped up to Help out Mike!
What an awsome group!

Mike i hope all goes well with the neurosurgeon. Keep us all posted :)

My neibor's son commented that the "new cruiser" looks cooler than my Red 40.. But what does he know, he's is just a kid....

i think his garbage day is wednesday

waggoner5
07-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry I missed it Mike. I was back in Ft Worth for the weekend getting the 62 started and loaded for the trip home. It sounds like you made some major progress though and if you need anything call me.
G

treerootCO
07-18-2007, 01:18 PM
The code inspector is going to do a pre inspection today, Wednesday the 18th. I will not be home unfortunately. I had my sister go over and lock the garage because I do not believe the city has a right to be in there. Third degree criminal trespass comes to mind but they are above the law. Everything should be cleared out and I have met all of the city's demands. Any additional demands, that were not included in the first two, will be issued today and I should have 10 days to comply.

Rock Dog
07-18-2007, 10:11 PM
How is the back? what did the Doc say?? Hope you are feeling better....

Shark Bait
07-18-2007, 10:32 PM
The code inspector is going to do a pre inspection today, Wednesday the 18th. I will not be home unfortunately. I had my sister go over and lock the garage because I do not believe the city has a right to be in there. Third degree criminal trespass comes to mind but they are above the law. Everything should be cleared out and I have met all of the city's demands. Any additional demands, that were not included in the first two, will be issued today and I should have 10 days to comply.

Well .... ?

subzali
07-18-2007, 11:11 PM
It was funny she showed up just as I was leaving...Mike was still there so he did a walkthrough with her. Hope it went well Mike!

treerootCO
07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
The neurosurgeon basically said I should take it easy.....forever!! :eek: Said if I wanted to be sure never to injure myself again, I should live in a bubble. No running, lifting, driving on rough roads, etc. I am going to follow his orders and not do anything for the next 2 weeks but after that I do believe I am going running, going to drive some rough roads and probably lift something.

The code inspector was very pleasant and I think it helps to meet someone face to face. Up to this point we had only talked via email, phone, and notes on my front door. She was curious where the Cruisers had gone but content that everything had been taken care of. I have a contract to have the house painted and we took care of that as well so the follow up inspection Friday isn't needed anymore. I am relieved to have this behind me for now. I never intended to move but I think it is for the best at this point in time. The yard has never looked better! :risingsun:

Thank you everyone...:cheers:

I also have one kick a** well cover thanks to Matt. ;)

MDH33
07-19-2007, 09:01 AM
The neurosurgeon basically said I should take it easy.....forever!! :eek: Said if I wanted to be sure never to injure myself again, I should live in a bubble. No running, lifting, driving on rough roads, etc. I am going to follow his orders and not do anything for the next 2 weeks but after that I do believe I am going running, going to drive some rough roads and probably lift something.

The code inspector was very pleasant and I think it helps to meet someone face to face. Up to this point we had only talked via email, phone, and notes on my front door. She was curious where the Cruisers had gone but content that everything had been taken care of. I have a contract to have the house painted and we took care of that as well so the follow up inspection Friday isn't needed anymore. I am relieved to have this behind me for now. I never intended to move but I think it is for the best at this point in time. The yard has never looked better! :risingsun:

Thank you everyone...:cheers:

Great to hear Mike! So what are your plans for that huge expanse of open space in your back yard now? :D

treerootCO
07-19-2007, 09:06 AM
Great to hear Mike! So what are your plans for that huge expanse of open space in your back yard now? :D

Maybe a BBQ for all of Rising Sun? I promise there will be absolutely no work that day. :D

timmbuck2
07-19-2007, 09:23 AM
hmm...I could see a putting green....babbling creek....waterfall...gazebo....pond with koi....what a relaxing place.

:)

T

treerootCO
07-19-2007, 11:47 AM
No offence to acon40 but this caused all my problems. The day that truck came home, all heck broke loose. The day we flipped the bezel, everything came into balance again...

not bad for a camera phone pic - the iphone rocks!!

treerootCO
07-19-2007, 11:53 AM
iphone pic of UB wheelin' the compost pile!! :D

Inukshuk
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Congrats and can you post pics of the new yard? (I know I can practically walk to your house but I'm lazy)

Chris
07-19-2007, 02:19 PM

That's a bit of CYA on the neurosurgeon's part IMHO. Just be smart when you lift, expect some pain after rough roads, blah, blah, blah. Running may be a very bad idea but you'll be able to decide after seeing how it all feels. Gradually work back into things.

Glad to see everything is working out. Kudos to all who contributed to this. Would have loved to do a bit myself but my back and vacation prevented me from helping.

Cool to follow things from afar.

:risingsun

subzali
07-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Ha ha...yes!

acon40
07-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Hahaha, blaaaaaaaaaaame it on me hahaha. No kidding...sorry how that all worked out. If I would have know that was such a issue I would have snagged it back right away.

treerootCO
07-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Congrats and can you post pics of the new yard? (I know I can practically walk to your house but I'm lazy)

I'll get some up tomorrow...

Hahaha, blaaaaaaaaaaame it on me hahaha. No kidding...sorry how that all worked out. If I would have know that was such a issue I would have snagged it back right away.

The bezel causes all sorts of issues when it is upside down. The thick part goes to the top. Ben got a kick out of the 40, in about three minutes, he had it running. The bezel must have kept it from starting before....

Hulk
07-19-2007, 11:10 PM
I saw the 40 in Ben's garage today. Looks pretty clean. Erin told me that Ben's planning to keep it low. I laughed -- "Yeah, we all tell ourselves we're not going to go much beyond stock. What's Ben's track record on that?"

Shark Bait
07-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Erin told me that Ben's planning to keep it low. I laughed -- "Yeah, we all tell ourselves we're not going to go much beyond stock. What's Ben's track record on that?"

Good one! :lmao: :lmao: :rolleyes:

acon40
07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
What was the problem....did it run fine then.....go figure...haha

treerootCO
07-20-2007, 10:09 AM
It just needed a little love is all. We were wondering how much oil you put in there though. It was pouring out the front of the oil pan...

Here are some old pics from last winter...I found them amusing...

acon40
07-20-2007, 10:15 AM
Actually I never added anything other the two sprays of engine start. I just think the guy who had it was not the best with these things.

Three Wheel Ben
07-20-2007, 10:27 AM
First lets clarify, it ran for about 10 seconds after jumping the starter and wiring the ign coil hot and dumping gas down the carb. But it ran, more than I thought I was getting.

Oil leak around front crank seal, sloshed out when it was on the trailer. That's what started the whole getting it started, thought maybe it had a rod hanging out of the block.

I actually checked the oil the other day and it is the right level. Either the oil pan is not on right or the crank seal is leaking. Haven't done too much else.

Want to try and get the title sorted out before digging too deep.

need to fix brakes, some wiring for gauges and taillights, and make it run on its own.

MDH33
07-20-2007, 12:04 PM
First lets clarify, it ran for about 10 seconds after jumping the starter and wiring the ign coil hot and dumping gas down the carb. But it ran, more than I thought I was getting.

Oil leak around front crank seal, sloshed out when it was on the trailer. That's what started the whole getting it started, thought maybe it had a rod hanging out of the block.

I actually checked the oil the other day and it is the right level. Either the oil pan is not on right or the crank seal is leaking. Haven't done too much else.

Want to try and get the title sorted out before digging too deep.

need to fix brakes, some wiring for gauges and taillights, and make it run on its own.

Cool, I hope you can get it running for the "40's Only Run" in September. Glad to know it went to a good home. :thumb:

subzali
07-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Yeah, it might be a little rough for that. But Ben's a master Toyota tech, and he's got two months, so it should be easy :D

FWIW it idled better than my 40 does :o

Rezarf
07-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Mike, what cool pics of your cruiser hoard!

Very cool rigs, and a very cool picture indeed!

Drew

treerootCO
07-21-2007, 09:02 AM
pics...

Red_Chili
07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
So much yard... so few cruisers...:(

But sweet revenge on a rental yard neighbor who thought he had an angle on an injured wheeler!!!!!!!!!!!:rant: :cheers:

treerootCO
08-23-2007, 10:35 PM
house is painted;)

Romer
08-23-2007, 10:51 PM
That looks really nice Mike.

Shark Bait
08-23-2007, 10:56 PM
Way cool. Looks very respectable.

Uncle Ben
08-23-2007, 11:41 PM
That looks awesome Mike! First a right hook then a left now you really put the jerk neighbor on the ropes with a wicked uppercut! Price just went way over his range!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :cool:

subzali
08-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Sweet mercy. How's the basement coming along? You getting close to sale time?

60wag
08-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Nice. Matching the trim color to the stylish 45 in the driveway :)

Red_Chili
08-24-2007, 09:23 AM
VERY pretty. Having second thoughts about selling now?

MDH33
08-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Bravo man! You know how to get things done Mike. :bowdown:

:thumb: :clap: :beer:

SteveH
08-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Those 'cruisers really spruce up the place - oh, and the paint is nice, too. Good work!

Beater
08-24-2007, 10:28 AM
who owns the fence on the driveway.. I know an artist type guy that could give you a great bid...

treerootCO
08-24-2007, 12:12 PM
I contacted my Realtor that helped me buy this house back in 1998. He did everything for free including fighting the owner that decided to pull out of the deal when we sat down at the title company to sign everything over. She could not sell the house after the renters were evicted and so I agreed to get the home up to FHA standards so that she could sell it to me. I invested 8,000 to meet those standards and the agreement was she would take that out of the final price. At the table, she refused to reimburse me, refused to come down in price, and then refused to sell. With the help from my dad, his friend Mike the mortgage broker, and his other friend Marty the realtor, the cards were stacked against her. I don't think she realized that everyone at the table was on my side. After a few bad dealings with USbank (who I will never do business with again) I refinanced three times with the added clause that USbank could not buy out my loan and came out fairly well in the end. I have to either refinance by 12/1/07 or move so that is my deadline. Marty said I need to finish the remodel of my kitchen so that is the plan for this weekend. I intend to gut the kitchen, paint the walls, and possibly tile the North wall. All the electrical has been completed and the plumbing has been updated so it should be a fairly easy task. I used to be a tile setter so I might put in a granite counter top to really spruce up my crack house. :hill:

Before and after shots and if you can believe it, 4 houses on my block just got flipped by others so the market couldn't be better.

Red_Chili
08-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey Mike, you need to change your sig... nice guys don't always finish last, but they always finish with their soul intact! And over time they tend to finish well.

Convert
08-24-2007, 01:23 PM
House looks great Mike :thumb: :thumb:

waggoner5
08-24-2007, 05:13 PM
That does look good, now get the rest done and get it sold. Call me if'n you need help.

Hulk
08-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Looks great Mike! Things are headed in the right direction.

corsair23
08-24-2007, 07:28 PM
WOW...Simply awesome Mike!

treerootCO
08-25-2007, 04:09 PM
I motivated myself to start on the kitchen. Does anyone have a quad reduction power drill I can borrow? Mine is either over at Ige's or it got lost in the garage. I use it to mix drywall mud and thinset morter. I guess if I tear out the cabinets , that would force me to replace them right? :hill:

Shark Bait
08-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Mike, if you need cabinets there is a place of of 58th Ave & I-25 called Extras that has scratch/dent/overstock cabinets for a lot less than retail.

treerootCO
08-28-2007, 06:52 PM
In the ghetto..... :D

MDH33
08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Looking good Mike. If your 'hood is like mine, slapping some granite countertops, new cabinets and stainless apliances will raise your real estate value by at least 100 grand, lol. The yuppies eat that shyte up apparently. :D

Beater
08-29-2007, 08:18 AM
Mike - There is a habitat for humanity home improvement outlet on sante fe & in wheatridge: http://www.habitatoutlet.org/ . Buying from them does triple duty. Keeps things from the landfill, helps a good cause, and gives you a warm fuzzy...

j

treerootCO
09-08-2007, 05:45 PM
less ghetto...

bigbluefj
09-09-2007, 12:35 PM
coming along all right, slow but sure a little work goes along way when you go to sell your house look's good mike..

treerootCO
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
I remember why I stopped laying tile for a living ;)

nuclearlemon
09-09-2007, 04:57 PM
isn't that the wall behind the stove. why put tile on a wall you can't see? :confused:

treerootCO
09-09-2007, 08:51 PM
It is. I am just odd like that.... almost done, one wall to go.

Hulk
09-10-2007, 08:23 AM
I remember why I stopped laying tile for a living ;)
Looks good! Are you going to use this?

treerootCO
09-10-2007, 11:32 AM
All my appliances are white so I might put in the white sink I have. It is also brand new and never been taken out of the box. The tile on the North wall is set. Finished about midnight last night. I shouldn't have done it because my back is really hurting today. As to why I am putting slate on the wall behind the refrigerator....I thought about it and I guess if it's worth doing, it is worth doing well. I hope to get the new cabinets hung, tile the counter top, and refinish the floor next weekend. I need to sell this house soon before I lose my sanity. There is more to life than money so I have also decided to join the materialistic world of social conditioning and stop fighting. My new budget is $500,000. Funny when you think that a house in Colorado is worth half a million:eek:

Romer
09-10-2007, 12:00 PM
If thats your budget

http://denver.craigslist.org/rfs/417854477.html

I would think about moving there, but don't think the wife would live that far out of town.

Chris
09-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I shouldn't have done it because my back is really hurting today.

Looking good Mike. Give your back a day or twos rest and get back to it.

if it's worth doing, it is worth doing well

Applies to everything IMHO, nice to see someone who still believes in tiling where nobody will see.

decided to join the materialistic world of social conditioning and stop fighting.

It's not all bad, just make appropriate choices on what to accept and what to reject.

You can still make your own rules. :thumb:

:cheers:

Red_Chili
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
...materialistic society...

You can still make your own rules. :thumb:

:cheers:
Making sure you make the choices according to values you believe in, instead of just adopting what society sets up for you, is exactly how to keep it from being materialistic. Material yes, materialistic, not so much.

Now speaking of material, take care of that back material d00d before we hafta come down there and duct tape you to the bed!!

(P.S. nicely done on the tile. A savvy prospective buyer would look behind the fridge to see how thorough - or superficial - the resto work was done. You done good. Except for the potential paralysis part!)

gr8fulabe
09-11-2007, 06:47 PM
There is more to life than money so I have also decided to join the materialistic world of social conditioning and stop fighting. My new budget is $500,000. Funny when you think that a house in Colorado is worth half a million:eek:

If you want to live in Boulder Canyon, I will sell you my house when you are ready to go. You would even have enough leftover to build a thousand sqaure foot garage!

Uncle Ben
09-11-2007, 08:54 PM
If you want to live in Boulder Canyon, I will sell you my house when you are ready to go. You would even have enough leftover to build a thousand sqaure foot garage!

Wes agrees with me....my Aunts place has Treeroot written all over it!

wesintl
09-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Wes agrees with me....my Aunts place has Treeroot written all over it!

I do have to agree with that.:rant: Hell, I'd love to move there myself. It's really not as far out as I would have thought. Easy access to 76 and commute to the north end of town wouldn't be that bad. I know people in DC with double that commute. Gun range is no problem and the cruisers, well, they'd actually look more at home. :eek:

gr8fulabe
09-11-2007, 09:38 PM
I do have to agree with that.:rant: Hell, I'd love to move there myself. It's really not as far out as I would have thought. Easy access to 76 and commute to the north end of town wouldn't be that bad. I know people in DC with double that commute. Gun range is no problem and the cruisers, well, they'd actually look more at home. :eek:

Yeah, but that is just because you guys haven't been to my house!

Uncle Ben
09-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, but that is just because you guys haven't been to my house!

I believe I have....Boulder Canyon right?

treerootCO
09-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Had to work late today and didn't get a chance to grout but I think it is an improvement over the 1930's green plastic tile that came with the house. I am still thinking about building a new house on some land. I want to garden and relax in my new yard instead of working on the house. I may build furniture in my new wood shop if I need something to occupy my mind. Modern insulation, building, windows, heating, central air, electrical, etc. is worth it now that I have molded this house into something at least safe and welcoming. I am tired of doing nice things for myself, I want more time to devote to others. My new house has to have a gourmet kitchen with an island so I can get back to doing what I enjoy.

treerootCO
09-12-2007, 12:38 AM
We lost power the other night and the silence woke me up to hear plate glass breaking. That stupid bastard doesn't know what he almost got staring him down. Does the make my day law cover 'home defense' with a 50? Someone other than me called 911 and we had ourselves a nice little raid that night. About 10 police cars came down the street blacked out doing at least 75 and someone got a taste of a caprice grill 2 houses down. They were going so fast, sparks flew when one of the cars cleared 38th....

This was a fun surprise I came home to about seven years ago before I rewired the house, replace all the natural gas lines, and re-plumbed all new copper. The house was filled with smoke and you can see how high the flames were licking the wall in the pic. The oak is burned about 1/2" down. I also found a fire smoldering in the light above the kitchen cealing when I pulled it down to snake new wire through and add a gfi. The charred wood was about a foot wide and would glow if you blew on it :eek: When I moved in, eleven years ago, the carbon monoxide detectors I installed would only go off if you kept the doors closed. The furnace would ignite the natural gas build up in the basement if you kept the basement door closed overnight. It was fun to hear the poof and the door opening at night.

Hulk
09-12-2007, 12:47 AM
Mike, the tile looks really good. You remain a master of the artistic touch, and you always get the details right.

Personally, I find working on our house to be very satisfying. But I go through phases: I'll do a ton of projects one year, and then do only minor maintenance the next. You've done so much work on your current place that I don't blame you for wanting some time off.

I'll tell you a story that I think is similar to your situation. I have purchased new cars only twice. Both times were right after I sold a used German car that required huge amounts of maintenance. Both times I was so sick of maintenance that I purchased a brand new car. And both times, two years later, I was so sick of the huge car payments that I sold the new cars and bought a used, reliable Toyota or Honda. Both times, I regretted buying the new cars.

That's not to say that building would be a bad idea. It might be great. But don't rule out a good, older house that is in decent shape. A "used" house does not necessarily mean it must be a basket case. Our house is nearly 30 years old, and it's still very nice.

treerootCO
09-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Have I mentioned the house is for sale? $210,000. No reasonable offer refused. The city of Wheat Ridge is only going to use their power of imminent domain to condemn the houses and all the businesses along Wadsworth from I-70 South to 38th. The rezoning stops a block from my address so you'll be right next to the wonderful 'vision' that Wheat Ridge wants to force upon it's tax payers.

Shark Bait
09-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Yikes! Looking good Mike. I like your house. Not your neighborhood, though. :)

gr8fulabe
09-12-2007, 11:32 AM
I believe I have....Boulder Canyon right?

Hi Uncle Ben,

It is Boulder Canyon! Are you the guy that came with Treeroot that one time to take pics of my LV?

If so, I hadn't made the connection before.

My House is a bit nicer than when you were there, just because it is closer to having the renovation finished.

Interestingly enough, I put the exact same slate that Mike is using in my upstairs bathroom!

If I recall it was from Emser & they call it the, "Multi Raga" becuase it is multi hued & is cut from some quarry in India.

Uncle Ben
09-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Hi Uncle Ben,

It is Boulder Canyon! Are you the guy that came with Treeroot that one time to take pics of my LV?

If so, I hadn't made the connection before.

My House is a bit nicer than when you were there, just because it is closer to having the renovation finished.

Interestingly enough, I put the exact same slate that Mike is using in my upstairs bathroom!

If I recall it was from Emser & they call it the, "Multi Raga" becuase it is multi hued & is cut from some quarry in India.

Nope....I' the guy who bought the trailer that has no freaking title then or now! :rant:

Rezarf
09-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow! Nice work Mike, that looks great!

gr8fulabe
09-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Nope....I' the guy who bought the trailer that has no freaking title then or now! :rant:

Dude! Jeff never got a title for you? the last time I asked him about it he said he was getting one from Kentucky where he bought it...

I haven't actually talked to him in months (new girlfriend that everyone really hates, but that is a different story).

But I will give him a call and see if he will be a man and step up.

By the way Mike, sorry for the hijack & I agree with everyone, your place is looking really great!

treerootCO
09-23-2007, 07:08 PM
grouted the wall today.

treerootCO
09-24-2007, 12:49 AM
few more before and after pics. The wall is straight, the curve is my 17mm lens on the 12mp Fuji.

subzali
09-24-2007, 08:02 AM
Looking good Mike!

treerootCO
10-15-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.aristokraft.com/styles/product_detail/?id=195

cabinets are going in soon...

Uncle Ben
10-15-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.aristokraft.com/styles/product_detail/?id=195

cabinets are going in soon...

Shaaweet!

Hulk
10-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Those are nice, nice cabinets.

Beater
10-16-2007, 09:53 PM
you copying me? Seriously, we just had new alder doors made up just like that, though with a 2.5 inch border

treerootCO
10-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Cabinets have been ordered. If anyone needs cabinets, I can recommend Absolutely Cabinets - 3034255591, quote came in 10,000 less than home depot. :eek:

treerootCO
10-28-2007, 10:20 PM
I guess there is no turning back now. :)

treerootCO
11-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Refinished the kitchen floors and started on the stairwell.

Hulk
11-04-2007, 09:09 AM
Looks really nice. I like the bead board. The color in your kitchen is a great choice. Did your cabinets get delivered yet?

waggoner5
11-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Like I said, you are going to make the old place so nice that you won't want to move.

treerootCO
11-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Cabinets will be delivered soon. I reglazed all the windows, and should have everything painted today. I hope to have an open house when everything is done. I'll cook up something good for everyone to eat...

treerootCO
11-04-2007, 07:52 PM
Pics...I plan on carpeting the stairs when I get back.

Romer
11-04-2007, 08:02 PM
looking good Mike

treerootCO
11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
getting closer...all the upper cabinets were up by 3:30am

Thank you dad for the help. I highly doubt I could have done it by myself.

treerootCO
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Lower cabinets tonight...counter top Friday, tile the back splash Saturday, Sink and plumbing Sunday, and grout, then clean up the house for the inspector Monday. I refinanced the house to pull out a few dollars to buy land but I need the appraisal to come in at 200,000.

Uncle Ben
11-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Great job Mike!

subzali
11-15-2007, 12:43 PM
looking good, you got a tight timeline before inspection, but keep going and you'll make it!

treerootCO
11-18-2007, 04:18 AM
3:30 am again.....

the ghetto looks much better with solid granite counter tops. :hill:

Uncle Ben
11-18-2007, 08:41 AM
3:30 am again.....

the ghetto looks much better with solid granite counter tops. :hill:

Looks awesome sir! How far away is the creek where you draw the water? :rolleyes::hill:

treerootCO
11-18-2007, 09:24 AM
I never know what I am doing until much later... today I get to figure out how to router a hole in 2" granite.

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Well? Did ya reach your goal? :confused:

subzali
11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Ya did ya did ya did ya?

treerootCO
11-19-2007, 04:09 PM
I ran out of time before I could tile the back splash. The sink is in and operational. New faucet, disposal, drains, copper... Most of the kitchen goods are back in the kitchen so you can walk through the front room again. I'll try and take some pics when I get home after the appraiser is done. Does anyone have a hookup for carpet? I am going to replace the carpet in the front room.

Uncle Ben
11-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I ran out of time before I could tile the back splash. The sink is in and operational. New faucet, disposal, drains, copper... Most of the kitchen goods are back in the kitchen so you can walk through the front room again. I'll try and take some pics when I get home after the appraiser is done. Does anyone have a hookup for carpet? I am going to replace the carpet in the front room.

Why? What happened to it? ;) :hill:

Awesome achivement Mike! What time did you hit the sack last night? (or is that not a valid question)

treerootCO
11-19-2007, 04:47 PM
2:00 I think...got up at 5

Hulk
11-26-2007, 01:35 AM
Does anyone have a hookup for carpet? I am going to replace the carpet in the front room.

Call my buddy Jeff Hart at New American Flooring. He's the owner. Tell him you're my friend.

303-428-8643

He's the guy who refinished Romer's wood floors. I think Ken was pleased with his work.

treerootCO
11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=81708
In the ghetto....

Uncle Ben
11-26-2007, 07:47 PM
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=81708
In the ghetto....

Didn't take anymore Revive did they? :rolleyes:

nuclearlemon
11-26-2007, 08:32 PM
aw...heck, you're east of wadsworth...you're safe.

kinda like the shootings that were on monaco are for me....that's a block east of me, and only one person dead so far. although a cop was shot during the last one, so that might up the ante for me.:hill:

treerootCO
12-23-2007, 09:36 AM
updated pics. I still need to get the microwave mounted above the stove so that is why there is a hole there.

treerootCO
12-23-2007, 09:41 AM
Here are some before shots in case you didn't see the kitchen before...

wesintl
12-23-2007, 10:34 AM
very nice Mike, you should feel really good about how it looks.

bh4rnnr
12-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Sure looks good Mike. Nice job:beer:

Romer
12-23-2007, 11:13 AM
That looks awesome Mike

bigbluefj
12-23-2007, 02:45 PM
wow great job mike

Uncle Ben
12-23-2007, 03:02 PM
Looks like a house wreckin....ooops I mean warming party is needed! ;) Looks awesome Mike! Your attention to detail again speaks volumes! :thumb::thumb:

Hulk
12-24-2007, 02:18 AM
Beautiful kitchen. You have created a masterpiece.

Mike, can you come over to my place and give me some advice?

subzali
12-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Holy smokes Mike, that looks great!

RockRunner
12-24-2007, 01:28 PM
That looks great, I really like the colors too, that deep green is awesome. We are getting ready to do some painting ourselves and that is one of the colors. Did you do your own slate work? The cabinets look great too, a very rich classy looking kitchen. The party will never leave there.

powderpig
12-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Looking really awasome. Keep it going, and the place might be worth more than you think. See you soon, robbie

Convert
12-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Looks great Mike very nice work :thumb:

treerootCO
12-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Thank you everyone for the help and support.

Beautiful kitchen. You have created a masterpiece.

Mike, can you come over to my place and give me some advice?

Anytime.

That looks great, I really like the colors too, that deep green is awesome. We are getting ready to do some painting ourselves and that is one of the colors. Did you do your own slate work? The cabinets look great too, a very rich classy looking kitchen. The party will never leave there.

The color is Heath Grey. It was discontinued but I have the codes for it. I save colors I like as I go. That one I have been looking to use for about eight years now. I'll see if I can find the updated color. It is slightly lighter and a bit more feminine. I used to set tile and found it to be much cheaper to do all the work myself. (with help from my friends and family of course;))

treerootCO
12-28-2007, 04:42 PM
http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/items.asp?haid=121
"faded silk" is the newer color for Heath Grey. It is an entirely different color but I liked both.

MDH33
12-28-2007, 04:53 PM
Looks great Mike! :thumb:

Red_Chili
12-29-2007, 10:36 AM
First class work, Mike. I love old houses.

Hulk
12-29-2007, 04:24 PM
Saw it in person last night. Really great job on the kitchen. The whole house is very charming and warm.