PDA

View Full Version : Speaker install....

acon40
07-14-2007, 11:15 AM
did the install of ih8mud of the pioneer speakers into my 80. It's straight forward and took me maybe 20 minutes. Anyway, it is night and day. I am VERY happy with the sound for the cost of the speakers. You won't have pro sound of course, but for what you pay they are a REALLy nice set. Just wanted to follow up......its worth the time and effort.

Shark Bait
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Cool. Where'd you buy them? How much??

acon40
07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
both walmart and bestbuy have them at $55.

nakman
07-14-2007, 01:08 PM
I went to Walmart at Flatirons and they didn't have them, Alex did you get yours in Laffayette? BestBuy over there at flatirons was also out of stock, they said Westminster had one set in stock. I was hoping to sneak this mod in today during nap time, but it's now going to have a wait a week...

acon40
07-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I was told walmart is not going to carry them anymore...so try bestbuy.

Shark Bait
07-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Best Buy in Parker is supposedly holding a set for me.

nakman
07-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Westminster Best Buy had three sets.. now they got 2 :D . Took me an hour to do the install, no surprises though. It's actually impressive how these new speakers actually work, since there's not a lot of room in front of the window track, and they stick back so much further than the stock ones.

nakman
07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
But like everyone else, I'm pretty impressed with the quality improvement. Kind of like taking off your sun glasses when you forgot you had them on and you're like whoa, it's bright! Glad I did the upgrade...

there are some little tabs on the frame of the speaker outside the screw holes that kind of get bent out as you crank these new ones in, so I guess that will hold them tight and keep them from rattling? Blue wire goes on the + side..

corsair23
07-15-2007, 12:19 AM
You guys have me thinking but I saw that post on MUD where a guy that has a '97 LX (or was it a '97 FZJ80 CE?) stated they wouldn't fit :(

I need another project like a hole in the head but better sound would be a plus...But if the speakers don't fit I might as well put the $$ to something else.

The guy on MUD seems to be the only one that has experienced problems so maybe he is just as bad at me in the mod department banana scale :)

Shark Bait
07-15-2007, 06:20 AM
Westminster Best Buy had three sets.. now they got 2 :D . Took me an hour to do the install, no surprises though. It's actually impressive how these new speakers actually work, since there's not a lot of room in front of the window track, and they stick back so much further than the stock ones.

So they just bolt right in, eh? :p:

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
So what was the consensus on these? Will I have fitment issues with the fronts in my '97 FZJ80?

nakman
08-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't think you'll have issues Chris. And everything involved is undoable, you could always put the new speaker in and just not hook up the wire to make sure it fits prior to cutting the old speaker free. Go for it!

If you're still working on it at 9:00 I'll talk you through on 2m.. :)

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 04:47 PM
Well, I got them in. The DS one sounds scratchy. :confused: Hope I didn't tear the cone or anything. :( I'll have to look at it later. :mad: I tested it before I put the PS in and thought it sounded fine.

corsair23
08-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, I got them in. The DS one sounds scratchy. :confused:

Push the button that says "FM" on it or better yet "CD" - AM is always pretty scratchy :hill:

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Push the button that says "FM" on it or better yet "CD" - AM is also pretty scratchy :hill:

On the speaker? :confused:

corsair23
08-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Dang typo messing up a perfectly good joke :(

I was just messin' with you Chris because I had no other ideas :)

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
:flipoff2:

I talked to Q earlier. He said it might be a grounding issue either a the speaker or in the harness. He said to try pulling the speaker out of the door and listen if the problem went away. I did that and didn't really hear the problem, so I put the speaker back in the door. Didn't really hear it, but I'm not totally sure. There's definitely not a constant hum, but it seems like there's an interference noise. I'll evaluate it some more. :confused:

nakman
08-27-2007, 10:25 PM
couple thoughts.. Did you put any tape or anything around the wire connections? That's more of an issue in back, but may be worth trying, my rear door shorted out the whole system until I ground the opening bigger and covered the connectors in tape. Also did you do any weatherstripping between the speaker and the door? That may also help isolate the speaker, and reduce interference.. also try swapping L to R to see if it's the speaker or the door.

Shark Bait
08-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks Tim. I'll see if I can hear it tomorrow and decide hat to do. I did leave the foam wrap on the PS. Also, I blew out a couple of the plastic nutserts on the DS, so I ended up using the supplied metal ones. I didn't re-wrap the connectors on the DS, either. I'll let you know what happens.

Shark Bait
08-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, I don't seem to hear anything bad today. Either I was imagining things or my taking it out and putting it back in fixed everything. :) Jeff may have been on to something, it may have been the FM signal being weak.

corsair23
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
:) Jeff may have been on to something, it may have been the FM signal being weak.

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile :hill:

Corbet
03-07-2010, 04:34 PM
So today I got around to installing mine finally. Well not really, the speaker magnet hit my window slide and will not fit into the hole flush?

Ideas? Guess its back to MUD to read through the endless threads unless someone here has a solution.

bigbluefj
03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Can you space out the window track with a couple of washers??

Corbet
03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
maybe. But I need to source some longer screws to try that. I found some washers in the garage but I didn't have any luck finding screws. Trip to the store. But I might have a hard time getting the speakers under the OEM grills if spaced out too far.

Corbet
03-07-2010, 07:02 PM
looks like IdahoDoug useds some 3/8" weather strip in the original MUD thread. Did all you do that too? From just eyebaling it I don't think I have the room for that and keep my OEM grills:confused:

Corbet
03-09-2010, 06:07 PM
OK, I got them in tonight. For the record they are the current model Pioneer TS-G1643R speakers. I honestly would not call them a direct fit for my 97. The speaker magnet is pushed up against the window channel inside the door. I had to roll up the window so the channel would flex in a little as I tighted up the screws. The interior door panel also flexed outward a little. I sourced some longer screws and weather stripping as well.

Sound is better but not as good as I expected. However there is something that sounds like bass now so that is good. I'm wondering if its worth doing the rears?

pics below.

nakman
03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Corbet I didn't bother with any weatherstripping.. and did infinity speakers in back and thought they were worth it, though the grills didn't fit without some custom spacers. I'll show ya in Moab.. :)

bigbluefj
03-09-2010, 08:34 PM
you should bring some with you to Moab!!!

LARGEONE
03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I had the exact same problems mounting my front speakers. My sound was WAY better in the front, but the rear pioneers don't make that much difference. And, I thought the rears were more of a pain than the front.

P

Corbet
03-09-2010, 09:10 PM
I had the exact same problems mounting my front speakers. My sound was WAY better in the front, but the rear pioneers don't make that much difference. And, I thought the rears were more of a pain than the front.

P

I would not call the fronts a pain as much as a dissapointment that they did not simply bolt it without issue. The rear door panels are eaiser IMO. What problems did you have in the rear?

Shark Bait
03-10-2010, 12:46 AM
The rears weren't difficult. You had to remove some plastic. Maybe a tab somewhere. I'd have to look on MUD. :eek:

Corbet
04-09-2010, 12:17 PM
So I threw in some rears today that I pilfered out of my 60. I'm not convinced the sound is any better but its definitely louder:hill: The look is not really OEM either but I might run them. With some long wires I could carry them over to a camp fire rather than blast at CM. That's about the only advantage I see right now.