PDA

View Full Version : Tree Removal Serivce

acon40
07-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Does anyone have a contact they would recomend.....the people who have come by to look at cutting down this deal tree in my back yard have been really shady. It's making me want to try and cut it down myself....problem is it's about 5 stories tall roughly.....any thoughts?

corsair23
07-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Could you have someone do the top and then maybe do the last 20' or so yourself? Not sure if that would save you much or not.

Sorry, but I'm no help with any contacts though.

acon40
07-14-2007, 11:56 PM
I am not afraid of hieghts so I don't see it being a problem even for me..... The big thing is, what is the best way to climb up the tree and support myself and then to catch and or lower the branches. The thing that gets me is I want the tree down. Its around $500 for all the quotes. THen I want it as firewood since it's dead. That I still have to do myself......so half of me feels like I am going to pay for something I can do.

corsair23
07-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I am not afraid of hieghts so I don't see it being a problem even for me..... The big thing is, what is the best way to climb up the tree and support myself and then to catch and or lower the branches. The thing that gets me is I want the tree down. Its around $500 for all the quotes. THen I want it as firewood since it's dead. That I still have to do myself......so half of me feels like I am going to pay for something I can do.

I'm not afraid of heights either but I would be worried about big limbs dropping on stuff below :eek:. I imagine you need some tree climbing and cutting gear (harness etc) to keep you attached to the part of the tree you're not cutting off at the moment :) and then rope and anchor stuff to attach to the parts you are hacking off.

For me, I'm not sure it'd be worth the risk to do the high stuff. If a professional does it and drops a huge limb on your roof or deck they should have insurance that would pay for the repair. The last 20-30' on that tree look like you could cut it down without too many problems.

I must confess, the highest tree parts I have cut off were small limbs on some aspens that were rubbing on my 2nd floor bedroom windows so I'm definitely no expert and I haven't stay at any Holiday Inns recently either :hill:

acon40
07-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Thats whats holding me back.....it goes over the fence and being that I have none of the harness and the such, by the time I get what I need I might be out there......damn thing is some one offered to cut it down for $300 months ago and I forgot where I put his info!

lfd270ben
07-15-2007, 01:36 AM
I have climbing equipment, some ladders, and a chainsaw it couldnt be that hard just let me know If you want to borrow it, sounds like fun

Hants
07-15-2007, 12:12 PM
If you do it yourself, you'll want to use a rope and helper on each branch to get to land on your lawn rather than on your deck. :eek:

Chris
07-15-2007, 01:31 PM
If you do it yourself, you'll want to use a rope and helper on each branch to get to land on your lawn rather than on your deck. :eek:

Ditto, I'll just amend Hants a bit - "rather than on your neck."

Know a guy that was certain he knew what he was doing, now he's a quadriplegic.

Be careful! :thumb:

acon40
07-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Scary but true....>I got a quote for around $300 which is where I want to be, so I will just need to rent a splitter now unless someone has one.....

Jacket
07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Before I moved to Lafayette, we had an old house near DU that had an 80 foot blue spruce. In the years I lived there, it fell victim to one of the beetles and got condemned by the city. This tree was HUGE:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/mralsto/big_pine.jpg

And wedged right between my house and the neighbors. I got quotes of over $2000 to cut it down:eek:

Then I called a place called Rushton - $800 to cut it down, and another $400 to grind and remove the stump. Shady - yes; weird - yes; but these guys came out with ropes and climbing gear, and had that thing down to a stump in a day. I took the day off to watch them - really amazing what these guys can do with ropes, chainsaws, and some creativity. I hope they get paid well.....

So I'd recommend them based on price, and they did a nice job by not putting a huge hole in my roof. Don't expect much else.

Inukshuk
07-17-2007, 11:01 AM
I have used Schulhoff Tree & Lawn Care, Inc. and been please. Mountain High Tree Service and Lawn Care also seems good and I plan to use them for something else.

BTW, Schulhoff will give free woodchips away. You just have to go pick them up.