PDA

View Full Version : Dry Ice

Tch2fly
07-15-2007, 07:45 PM
OK I'm too cheap to get an Engle or ARB fridge. I go out camping for 3-4 days at a time and std ice won't cut it. I thought maybe I would try dry ice. When I was a kid you could go to Baskin Robbins and get it but not anymore ....anybody use it and where do you get it?

ginericLC
07-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Mike,

I was talking to Henry C. about this. He has a lot of experience with ice chests. He said that dry ice can actually be too cold for the typical plastic lined coolers that most of us have. He said often it will crack the cooler. He suggests block ice in one cooler to chip to refill the second (using cooler). I didn't listen to his advice on our Rubithon trip. I put 30lbs of cubes. The Igloo 6 day cooler did quite well but the Coleman metal cooler did not fair as well with the ice. It is a new one with the child safety latch that doesn't latch tight. One of the other Venezuelan guys at Rubithon said that duct taping them works well.

Convert
07-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Dry Ice works great on frozen goods. Dedicate a cooler to frozen and you can keep it that way till you need it. :thumb:

Rezarf
07-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Walmart carries still, you buy it by the pound.

Just dont put some in a 2 liter with water and tighten the cap :D

Drew

Hulk
07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
The answer is a Coleman Xtreme 5-day cooler (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=8580). Lots of extra insulation, so a bag of ice lasts many days, not just one. Steve Crase turned me on to these. I like then so much I have two sizes.

I think you can get them at Wal-Mart.

Hants
07-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Dry Ice is available at most grocery stores. Go to the Customer Service counter and ask. It's not very expensive. Layers are the key. I have a marine cooler (thicker insulation than normal). I do the following (bottom to top):

1. Thick layer of newspaper at the bottom (about 1/8 inch)
2. 2 inch slabs of dry ice (all the way across the bottom for a long trip, or 1/2 to 2/3 of the length if you want more "refrigerated" stuff)
3. Thick layer of newspaper (about 1/8 inch)
4. Deep freeze stuff (already frozen, the last food to be eaten on the trip)
5. Frozen stuff (already frozen)
6. Can be frozen stuff (already refrigerated; may freeze due to dry ice is WAY COLD)
7. Cold stuff (already refrigerated)
8. Cool stuff (already refrigerated)

Dry Ice is WAY COLD. Frozen stuff towards the bottom will be BRICKS until the dry ice is all gone. It's a blast having ice cream after 2 weeks of camping! Also, no draining & re-icing. Done well, you really can have frozen stuff 2 weeks later.

Hulk is right about coolers -- more insulation is MUCH better. This is also true with the ARB's & similar. The ones that are most efficient have more insulation.

By deep-freezing a lot of your "later" food, you can get by pretty well (many days) with a well insulated cooler.

Red_Chili
07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Wow, great idea.
I use block ice in a Coleman 5-day cooler when hunting, and to quickly chill antelope quarters (no gaminess that way). Though that works well, I think Hants' suggestion would work fabulously!

wesintl
07-16-2007, 08:43 AM
In all seriousness you should buck up for an freezer fridge. It's by far the best mod or item you could have for camping. I messed around with standard bags, I've done dry ice before and I've done blocks. Gotta have Ice luges for partys back when ya know. It's all for the birds.

I got my engel for $500, factory second. How many bags of ice, soggy bread and other wet stuff will you have to endure for $500. I've never heard anyone say that they wish they didn't buy one or it was too much $ or they don't use it etc.

If you really want dry ice try a place that sells gas.. air gas etc.

Red_Chili
07-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Wes, didn't you have a dead battery here a while back? :D

SteveH
07-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Not all Walmarts carry dry ice - most in the Springs have stopped carrying it due to MORONIC dry-ice bomb-making teenagers. A few King Soopers have it, and General Air (welding supply) carries it. So, don't just count on popping into a Walmart and finding it.

Steve

Uncle Ben
07-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Not all Walmarts carry dry ice - most in the Springs have stopped carrying it due to MORONIC dry-ice bomb-making teenagers. A few King Soopers have it, and General Air (welding supply) carries it. So, don't just count on popping into a Walmart and finding it.

Steve

Some Safeway's have it too. Also ice cream shops often will carry it.

wesintl
07-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Hey Wes, didn't you have a dead battery here a while back? :D

I did, I had draining issues for a while. I have 2 yellow tops. When it would sit for a while they would be dead. Since replacing the starter I've only driven it a couple of times and it's always started with plenty of power and no draining.

Draining mystery solved. Bunk starter that was 22years old. I can run my fridge for 4 days without starting the truck and still start it now :thumb:
Don't disagree, a fridge would be nice, but so much money. Our fridge in the house was pretty close to what an Engel costs and that doesn't include the second battery and place to mount it. Personally I do frozen bottles of water, usually old heavy one gallon juice bottles. We don't end up with the water in the cooler and it costs basically nothing since they are bottles that would be recycles anyway. A two liter pop bottle lasts us about 4 or 5 freeze/thaw cycles before the plastic starts cracking and it's a way to carry an extra couple of gallons of water to boot. We usually use about 2 gallons worth of frozen bottles in a current Coleman metal cooler. This stays cold enough for a couple of days. Week or longer, then we use the two cooler method and replace the bottles with blocks along the way.

You don't need a second battery. As far as mounting it takes up the same space or less as an insulated coleman cooler and you could strap it down the same. I got pretty good at keeping everything in containers and bags etc so it wouldn't get wet etc but i'm over doing all that nonsense and freezing bottles, taking up precious space in the freezer at home full of Game, remembering to take them etc. It's all about what you decide is worthy. People spend thousands on lifts, bumpers, winches etc and hardly use them. If you go camping a couple times at max yeah I can see that it might not be worth it. If you camp alot, well then it's only a matter of time IMHO. If I were to do it over again. I'd buy a fridge before I bought a lift, tires, suspension, etc.

Ask anyone in the club with a fridge what the best mod has been. My guess is hands down it's a fridge.

:beer: :beer: :drink: :drink:

Jacket
07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
The answer is a Coleman Xtreme 5-day cooler (http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/subcategory.asp?CategoryID=8580). Lots of extra insulation, so a bag of ice lasts many days, not just one. Steve Crase turned me on to these. I like then so much I have two sizes.

I think you can get them at Wal-Mart.

+1. I bought one of these before my 3 days at the Sand Dunes last month. Ice was still there at the end of the trip.

Uncle Ben
07-16-2007, 09:53 AM
My fridge in the 80 will go 4 days without a restart/charge. There is a safety factor built in so when the fridge senses voltage drop to a certain point they will let out a tone before shutting off. Once off supposedly the batt will still have enough charge to start the engine, I can't confirm as I have two batteries. BTW, I never turn my fridge off! Cold water, a couple barley pops and a couple Dews are out there and damn cold as we speak!:thumb: ;)

wesintl
07-16-2007, 10:33 AM
oh I hear ya.. I REALLY want a turbo.. but my truck still goes down the road without it... although barely ;)

ginericLC
07-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Wow, great idea.
I use block ice in a Coleman 5-day cooler when hunting, and to quickly chill antelope quarters (no gaminess that way). Though that works well, I think Hants' suggestion would work fabulously!

Bill the best way to chill antelope is to freeze gallon milk jugs. Then slam them into the body. Ice the outside and tarp. Well, I guess this only works if you are doing a day hunt. But it works well for that.

Red_Chili
07-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I quarter them and leave the ribs and spine (you know what you call it when a guy throws an antelope rib BBQ? Slim pickin's!!). But I pretty much do the same thing with blocks, put the quarters in plastic to keep them dry (ewww, sloshy blood water leaching out the meat's flavor, ewww- not for me) then throw ice cubes over them when I have a chance.

I may even start boning them this year. The whole fam is going, and I don't have that many coolers!

The gallon milk jugs would be cheaper though! I'm liking the dry ice idea though.

Tch2fly
07-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Thanks guys, that's all good stuff!:thumb: I know someday I'll pull the trigger on a fridge but for now it's cooler city.

After Eric said something I did remember hearing it was easy to crack the cooler (I checked … dry ice is -170 deg F), but Hants seems to have it down.

Thx for the endorsement Matt, I wasn’t sure they worked as advertised. I am now the owner of a new Extreme cooler, I came home yesterday to find my Dick's Sporting Goods rewards coupon in the mail so off I went :D .

I have an older cooler and I plan to do use it with dry ice, based on Hants suggestions and some of my own ideas, on my extended trips. I'll post up results.