PDA

View Full Version : plumbing BBQ grill to the house gas line?

Kipper
07-16-2007, 01:10 PM
We bbq a LOT in the summer. My local Safeway doesn't have gas exchange (lame) so I have to drive all the way to the King Sooper to get gas and it's annoying.

I've heard of gas grills running off house gas lines, is that true? Anyone know what that requires?

Kipper
07-16-2007, 01:11 PM
BTW - this is the best fajita seasoning in the world:

http://www.fiestaspices.com/?page=fajitaseasoning

sprinkle that on some chicken breasts or flank steak and you are in business! yum

Red_Chili
07-16-2007, 01:28 PM
You need NG jets for your grill. And yeah, one of the things I did on our major remodel is have a gas line roughed in for my BBQ porch. Just haven't gotten around to rejetting it and connecting it up.

If your first lightup is preceded by the words, "Hey, hold my beer and watch this!", let me know so I will be at least two blocks away...

corsair23
07-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Most definitely! A lot of newer homes even offer it as an upgrade if not standard. I would imagine how involved it would be depends on how far it is from your gas line to where you'd want to connect the BBQ up.

Didn't know about needing NG jets but that make sense since when I just looked at BBQs recently some were for propane use and some for NG.

The one thing I'm not sold on is not being able to move your BBQ - at least as easy as you can with just a propane tank in tow. I guess if you BBQ in the same spot every time no problem. For me though I store the BBQ in one spot and cook in a different spot.

nakman
07-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Most definitely! A lot of newer homes even offer it as an upgrade if not standard. I would imagine how involved it would be depends on how far it is from your gas line to where you'd want to connect the BBQ up.

Didn't know about needing NG jets but that make sense since when I just looked at BBQs recently some were for propane use and some for NG.

The one thing I'm not sold on is not being able to move your BBQ - at least as easy as you can with just a propane tank in tow. I guess if you BBQ in the same spot every time no problem. For me though I store the BBQ in one spot and cook in a different spot.

Good point, that would blow it for me, I'm always moving that sucker around to sweep, shovel, etc. Unless you build it into an outside kitchen setup that just couldn't move, I wouldn't want to deal.

Check out rental centers for fill-ups, usually while you wait and less than what you pay at King Soopers to exchange. The one up here fills them for $13.

wesintl
07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I always have a spare tank on hand so that one is always full when I need it :) between the gas grill and heater I have 3 for use. But yeah. I gotta fill up alot since we grill year round.

Beater
07-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I have done this. Twice. Call me for questions...

Red_Chili
07-17-2007, 06:53 AM
Need to move it? Flex line.

Beater
07-17-2007, 07:02 AM
guys, there is actually science and fizziks involved in this. you have to change your regulator, jets and possibly re-size your gas line in the house to compensate for the increase flow requirements....

Magoo
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
guys, there is actually science and fizziks involved in this. you have to change your regulator, jets and possibly re-size your gas line in the house to compensate for the increase flow requirements....

this is true but the fizziks are pretty simple.:cheers:

Cheeseman
07-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Boy it sure takes alot of messin' around to use that gas stuff. Good ol' charcoal is so much easier. Guess you guys need to keep up with who or what I'm not sure. Besides you get to have a beer while you wait for those natural coals to get to just the right tempurature. Tastes better too.
________
Ass amateur (http://www.****tube.com/categories/140/amateur/videos/1)

Uncle Ben
07-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Boy it sure takes alot of messin' around to use that gas stuff. Good ol' charcoal is so much easier. Guess you guys need to keep up with who or what I'm not sure. Besides you get to have a beer while you wait for those natural coals to get to just the right tempurature. Tastes better too.

Dood, Just crank up the tunes from that 8-Track and go back to yer cave! :rolleyes: :lmao: :lmao: :hill:

60wag
07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Just keep a spare tank of propane around and quit worrying about it.

Beater
07-17-2007, 06:53 PM
physics is always simple. it's fixing the "effect" of the cause and effect that becomes the problem.

Red_Chili
07-18-2007, 07:07 AM
My buddy's dad used to charcoal grill about three or four times a week, his whole life. Died of esophageal cancer, wasn't pretty. My buddy tells me the doc was definite on the connection.:eek:

Turtle60
07-18-2007, 09:12 PM
I modified mine and ran my own gas line. There is a great article on the internet somewhere by a guy in Boulder, if I remember. He did all of the hard work - he figured out the size of the jets and the appropriate drill size needed to redo the burners and valves. It took less than an hour to pull out the valves and burners, drill them, put them back in and test them. I hooked mine up with a flex line and in the last two years I have cooked outside three times as much as I ever did. It never runs out of gas, it's convenient, it has a side burner that we use when we cook lobster and clams so that it doesn't stink up the house, it's the best upgrade in the world.

I had the two tank set up, but this beats driving around with a tank of gas in the back of the car hands down. Let me know if you want a link to the write-up and I'll see if I can find it.