PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Tonight...

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 02:46 PM
OK, my "new to me" 2F from Treeroot is sitting on a trailer (thanks Nakman!) in front of my house. Subzali is coming over tonight as are a couple of friends to help get it off the trailer. Is it worth trying to go ahead and drop it in the 40 as is while I have the bodies to help, or should I just put it next to the garage and wait until I can do the whole install at once? Whaddyathink? Remember...I am a 40 newbie...

:)

Timm

nakman
07-17-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't come down tonight to help, sorry..

But are you doing anything to the motor before you drop it? Seems like there's a list of things that everyone wishes they could do while the thing's out, would almost be a shame to just drop it in right away. But I don't know what it needs... new pan gasket? starter contacts? a good scrubbin? heck even a rear main is pretty painless at this point, right?

IMO it would be a mistake to drop it in your 40 right away, then endure a more expensive or more labor-intensive repair in the near future.

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Cool...thanks for the info. I did wash it pretty good at the car wash. Your trailer is sqeaky clean now. :)

No idea what it needs...it came out of a 60 and was running...but no idea about anything else...

Hulk
07-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Rear main would be preventative maintenance at this point. They all leak eventually. :(

nakman
07-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Wait I thought it was a 2F... 62=3FE. If 3FE then do that oil plug thing we're all paranoid about.. per the hypochondriasis in the "2f rerresh" thread.

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
Oops,my bad. It was a 60...so a 2f.

OK...change this thread to "What should I do to my 2F before I drop it in my 40?"

:)

Rezarf
07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Tim-

If you are not in a hurry, I would leave it out. There are a lot of little things that will be easier if it is out. Now if your front clip is removed, then it really doesn't matter except for the rear main seal, and the clutch. I would clean it up (sounds like that is done) refresh all the gaskets, check the valves, paint it and fire it up.

If you are going to tear into it, I would make sure that you can work on it easily. If the clip is still on the rig, I would leave it out. Otherwise, the mounts on the frame make a great engine stand... but the tranny transfer case also have to be attached to make it work right.

I hope that helps.

Drew

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 04:08 PM
No engine stand...it will probably be sitting on a pallet next to my garage, unless I can find a cheap engine stand...

The front clip is on, but not by much. I think Oleg was getting ready to take it off...all the bolts are loose. :)

wesintl
07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
slap that biotch in an run it. You put it in a engine stand it'll be months or another year before it's in and runs... unless your UB. ;)

I'd probably replace the rear main since that it a pita to change later, maybe the clutch too. while your at it the tranny t case seal.

Does TR remember how bad it was leaking if at all? If not git'er done.

bustanutley
07-17-2007, 05:40 PM
That motor ran but not great, I drove it around the block once or twice. I think with a tune up it may be ok, I don't remember if we ever ran numbers on it. It had grease caked on but no visible oil leaks.

60wag
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Doing the oil galley plug on a late 2F is easy when its out of the truck. Is there a tranny bolted to the engine? Even if there is, its pretty easy to pull the tranny and do the rear main seal.

timmbuck2
07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
4 spd tranny and split t-case are attached...

Rezarf
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
So there are no compression numbers on the engine? Bummer, that should be a law and then you should have to tattoo it onto the block along with the date of the C test.

I'd do all the stuff you can while it is out, then get it in.

Drew

timmbuck2
07-18-2007, 08:22 AM
Major thanks to Subzali, and also Ricardo (what is your online name??) and his son who helped unload my 2F and also keep an eye on Ty who was happy to play with his cars while we were sweating and swearing and tearing our pants. (OK, only Ricardo split his pants...)

OK, so I guess I better get to work on the engine so I can get it running for the rally, right?!

T

RicardoJM
07-18-2007, 09:22 PM
The online name is RicardoJM and thanks for the opportunity. I'd like to learn a few things as you go through the experience. So with the engine and the FJ-40 within 15 feet of each other - don't you need to update your signature a bit?

Shark Bait
07-18-2007, 09:38 PM
If you have the funds, I would seriously consider pulling the tranny with it out of the vehicle and replacing the rear main seal. Inspect the clutch and consider replacing it if necessary. For that matter it check the oil pan gasket, too.

subzali
07-19-2007, 05:32 AM
Alright Timm you've got your shopping list, now let's get that engine fixed up and in! :D

timmbuck2
07-19-2007, 08:24 AM
If you have the funds, I would seriously consider pulling the tranny with it out of the vehicle and replacing the rear main seal. Inspect the clutch and consider replacing it if necessary. For that matter it check the oil pan gasket, too.

funds? Sigh...guess I need to go do some research on Mud.

:D

Thanks again all...would love to drive this to the Rally...but I am gone next week, so that makes it pretty tight schedule. Guess I will shoot for the 40's Only Run!

Timm

Shark Bait
07-19-2007, 04:52 PM
funds? Sigh...guess I need to go do some research on Mud.

:D

Thanks again all...would love to drive this to the Rally...but I am gone next week, so that makes it pretty tight schedule. Guess I will shoot for the 40's Only Run!

Timm

Your call. If the clutch is not very worn and no oil leak is evident then slap that sucker in. :D Common wisdom is if you fix that stuff first, you'll most likely never have to do it again. The one I never want to do is the front main. That's actually easier with the engine in the vehicle. Good luck! :)

timmbuck2
08-27-2007, 09:46 AM
OK, if I am going to make it to the 40's Only Run in September, I need to get to work on this engine...so how does everyone's schedule look like the next couple of weeks. I know...very busy time for everyone, but would be awesome to maybe find a weeknight or 2 if weekends are scarce to at least get the engine in the truck so I can start work on getting it running and get the driveshafts measured, exhaust work, electrical, etc etc. Thanks to Subzali for volunteering to help, he mentioned motor mounts...it originally had an F and I am putting in a 2F...I will post a pic later of what is in the truck now, but here is a link to a pic...
http://www.timmandstacy.com/1973FJ40/index.html

Anything else I should make sure I have in place before dropping the sucker? Fluids, etc?

I do need to go get the tank that Ige :bowdown: (THANKS!!!!) gave me relined...

Thanks to all for helping this newbie out. I am contributing as much as I can to the club as a whole, and can't wait to share everything I learn with the newbies that will be here....

Timm

:bowdown: :D

timmbuck2
08-27-2007, 09:48 AM
OOOPS. sorry, posted this in Tech first...please use that thread. thanks.

T