PDA

View Full Version : First time 80 owner....my impressions.....

acon40
07-19-2007, 10:11 AM
So I have had my FJ80 95 with 191k for about a week and here are my thoughts on the truck.

-Ride is great! It's a truck, but when I think of the Jeeps and the Expedition that I had before hand....this rides great and is very easy to turn, bounce around in a parking lot etc. One nice thing to me atleast, it does not feel as big as it is, but this might be due to the Expedition hahaha...the boat.

-Layout of the interior is great other then the lack of cup holders. To solve that I think I might do the disco cup holders, but for the life of me I CAN NOT find and pictures of them on a cruiser...what gives? The buttons are all in easy rear and nothing is really in your face. One grip is the factory cd player is easy to use.....if it worked.....not sure what they were thinking there. PLENTY of room in the truck for all and I even just installed a FULL MILFORD barrier and I am shocked as to how much space was not taken up by that. Head room is GREAT!....being 6'2 I love that!

-Everything works for the most part. When I shift into drive, the D does not light up. All others do. Is that normal? The truck is kinda loud....in the sense of the exhaust maybe? I am not to sure. I need to have a shop look at it I think.

-Overall i am really happy. I do have a grip of how sluggish the truck is in the hills, but I keep telling myself I plan to do a diesel swap so that to me is no big deal....I hope haha. The trans shifts a little hard, but I think I am just going to flush it. The headliner is trashed, btu a easy fix to recover. Same with the seats.

I really went into this blind, but I am VERY happy with the truck. I bought it not to win races or bling it out, but to meet my needs and get me around the world and have my trust in doing so. I can see now why so many people use it and love it. I also want to give a big thanks for all my lame questions:blah: regarding the truck. While I know mud is a great resource, I feel that sun is a better option for me as its local and I feel you guys are some of the leaders on the mud board to.

Anyway, enough of this rant....big thanks.....back to yard work.....:beer:

Romer
07-19-2007, 10:18 AM
This might sound silly, but hit the dash above the D light and see if it comes on. It works for lots of people. Otherwise, blown bulb

nuclearlemon
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
on the "d" light, from what i've read, that's common. there's a thread on mud about it and how to change it. i believe someone had mentioned that there might be an unused bulb that you can swap in, but read carefully, someone had done that and pulled the bulb out of one of the shift indicators (power, o/d indicators).

Romer
07-19-2007, 10:24 AM
the bulbs are cheap and you can get them from Toyota. If you take the dash apart to replace the bulb, you may want to do the Raventai temp mod gauge to eliminate the dead spot of 60 deg's in the temp gauge.

I was serious about hitting it above the dash. It worked for me a year ago and still works and it has worked for others.

Hulk
07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
My D light is dead too. I'll have to smack the dash and see if that works. :) Otherwise, it will likely remain dead.

nakman
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
My D light is also out, and the smack didn't solve it. I've had a set of replacement bulbs in the garage for 4 years now, still haven't gotten around to pulling the dash to swap it.

Acon, go for a fluid "exchange," not a flush. Heck we've even beat that issue up pretty good on our board here even, but lots lots more discussions on Mud about it. I'm a big proponent of the 4 quart drop & swap. New stereos come up often for sale, you can also use a stock 3rd gen 4Runner stereo, even some camrys. actually heck I should just give you mine for all the seats you've given me, I guess I'll never go back to it since I widened my opening for the Scion unit. let me know if you want it...

acon40
07-19-2007, 11:23 AM
Haha, I am no so worried about the stock unit.....i ave all my music on my ipod via tape adapters. I will try to hit the dash when the boss comes home. She took it since I was blocking her car and it was 530 in the am.....damn you folsom coffee hahaha....

subzali
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Tim, what do you mean by the drop and swap? Not having it hooked up to a machine and pumping it through the torque converter? I always thought that was really the best way to "change" auto tranny fluid.

corsair23
07-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Layout of the interior is great other then the lack of cup holders.

:D The 80 series is most definitely a "cup holder" challenged vehicle. Some go with the cup holder above the stereo (see Slee's site). For me with 2 kids I went with this idea --> cup holder (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/double-CUP-cellphone-HOLDER-black_W0QQitemZ300111633545QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63691QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

One in front sits wedged between the passenger seat and the console and the other is wedged between the second row passenger seat arm rests. Bought one off ebay before a smarter member pointed out that Wally World sells them for about 1/3 of the price :(

Other ideas I looked are this type --> type 1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cup-Holder-BMW-Mini-Cooper-vw-Lexus-Mercedes-volvo-suv_W0QQitemZ300130889684QQihZ020QQcategoryZ63691QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) and this type --> type 2 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FOLDING-FOLD-UP-CUP-DRINK-HOLDER-CAR-TRUCK-BOAT-VAN-RV_W0QQitemZ140139907262QQihZ004QQcategoryZ63691QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)
I have one of them at home but for some reason I am adverse to drilling holes in my rig :o

Head room is GREAT!....being 6'2 I love that!

How is your leg room? I'm vertically challenged (5'9") so no issue for me but many of you taller folk can't get the seat to move back far enough to be comfortable. The '97 FZJ80 AE that we bought in March was being sold by the Realtor owner for this reason. I didn't mention this to him :hill: but there is a mod for the seat to get extra leg room. IIRC Landtank on MUD makes the piece parts to do the mod.

When I shift into drive, the D does not light up. All others do. Is that normal?

Not normal but common as others mentioned. Try the "whack" mentioned. Some prefer to not have the "D" glowing in their face. Mine work on both rigs so don't know.

I do have a grip of how sluggish the truck is in the hills, but I keep telling myself I plan to do a diesel swap so that to me is no big deal....I hope haha.

Wait till you lift it and put on bigger tires :D. No wonder putting on a Turbo or SC is a popular (although very expensive) mod to do. You want to see sluggish though ride with me up into the mountains while towing a 3500# popup camper :eek:

The trans shifts a little hard, but I think I am just going to flush it.

Lots of threads (here and on MUD) on this. Do a drain and fill and see what your ATF looks like...If it is a nice bright red you should be ok (like my '97 FZJ80 AE was). If it is dark and black (like my LX was) I'd do a complete swap. You can take it to have it done or do the home method you'll find on MUD. I did the home method and it took me maybe an hour start to finish and I am an VERY slow when it comes to mechanical stuff. A full swap in my case took 20qts of ATF until I started seeing on bright red coming out.

Enjoy the rig...I am definitely enjoying ours. They aren't cheap, require some care and feeding, but should last a long long long time if properly cared for :thumb:

nakman
07-19-2007, 12:50 PM
Tim, what do you mean by the drop and swap? Not having it hooked up to a machine and pumping it through the torque converter? I always thought that was really the best way to "change" auto tranny fluid.

Means take the bolt out of the pan and about 4 quarts drops out, then put 4 quarts in through a funnel in the dipstick hole... so you've in essence swapped 4 quarts. Do this 3-4 times until you like how clean the stuff looks coming out, then at every oil change.

Rezarf
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Subzali-

I could be wrong but I think the issue is wrapped around the little shavings and such that finds a "good" place to settle. Pressurizing the system stirs them up and then they tend to land in "no good" places.

I have heard even pro's don't "flush the system" but just gently replace it.

....mmmm gotta love 90wt!

Drew

nuclearlemon
07-19-2007, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=corsair23;41082How is your leg room? I'm vertically challenged (5'9") so no issue for me but many of you taller folk can't get the seat to move back far enough to be comfortable. :[/QUOTE]

if you are having leg room issues, i'll be pulling the landtank seat conversion out of mine and selling it. being v.c like corsair, it's uncomfortable for me.

FJBen
07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
if you are having leg room issues, i'll be pulling the landtank seat conversion out of mine and selling it. being v.c like corsair, it's uncomfortable for me.

Ige, maybe you could put the Land Tank seat mod on the other side of the seat to move you up :D :thumb:
:D :D

corsair23
07-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Subzali-

I could be wrong but I think the issue is wrapped around the little shavings and such that finds a "good" place to settle. Pressurizing the system stirs them up and then they tend to land in "no good" places.

I have heard even pro's don't "flush the system" but just gently replace it.

Just in an attempt to keep the information consistent in threads, what has been resolved (and concurred by Slee) is that the pros actually use a machine with a pump. The trick is, that the better shops like Slee adjust the pressure/flow from the pump on the machine to match the pressure/flow of the pump in the AT. This way they don't over power the system, but rather match the flow coming from the AT into the machine and then back out. By keeping the pressure/flow constant then using a machine shouldn't disturb the undesirable stuff in the AT anymore the AT pump does on a daily basis.

The home brew method in essence is to remove the line coming out of the AT cooler (or was it in?), attach a correct size and length hose to the cooler, stick the hose in a bucket, and then start up the rig, pump some AT fluid out, turn off the rig, refill the AT with fresh ATF, and repeat until all you see is nice bright red ATF coming out of the hose connected at the AT cooler.

It takes some time and is easier to do with two people (one starting the rig and running through the gears and shutting it back off while the other one does the watching and filling) but not at all difficult. Biggest problem is that you cannot pour ATF in that small fill tube nearly as fast as the pump can pump it out. Thus the need to start and stop and be somewhat careful to neither underfill, overfill, or run the pump dry.

I wasn't going to do the home brew method but I wanted to use my choice of AT fluid (Valvoline Maxlife) and all the shops I spoke with charge more to use your fluids vs their's due to the hassle of having to set the machine up with your fluid. In the end I'm glad I did it because it was silly simple and saved me some $$ and just required some of my time.

Going forward I just plan to do the drain and fill on the LX and LC at every oil change to keep everything fresh. I shouldn't ever have to do a complete flush again because doing so requires 20+ qts which ain't cheap.

nuclearlemon
07-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Ige, maybe you could put the Land Tank seat mod on the other side of the seat to move you up :D :thumb:
:D :D

:confused: it moves the seat up and back:confused:

Shark Bait
07-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Robbie did a fluid exchange for me a couple of years ago when I bought my 80. My fluid was somewhat dark and he suggested I have it done again. ToyCar Care on Arapahoe in Englewood does it for $100.

My D light miraculously started working, spontaneously, I think.

Cup holder and CDL switch from CDan were my first mods. :grinpimp:

How's your PHH look? :eek: :hill:

Romer
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Just to define a fluid flush is a bad thing and you should stay away from that. Thats when they use an external high power pump to flush your tranny.

A fluid exchange is when they use the tranny pump itself to exchange all the fluid. hose to drain and a hose to keep filling while the tranny pump is on.

acon40
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Ige, if you get rid of them I might hit you up on that.

Inukshuk
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
My D light works when it wants to. Have had the spare in the garage for years.

Romer
07-19-2007, 05:47 PM
Ige, if you get rid of them I might hit you up on that.

Your going to hit on Ige:eek: . . We better investigate you a little more

acon40
07-19-2007, 05:54 PM
hahaha jagger gets to me.......btw the hit on the dash...no luck. Don't really car ethir haha.

corsair23
07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Found one of the MUD threads where the ATF "exchange" or flush has been discussed. Post #24 is where Christo speaks about the machine they use...

MUD thread discussing ATF change (http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=19299&highlight=fluid)

:cheers:

Shark Bait
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM
hahaha jagger gets to me.......btw the hit on the dash...no luck. Don't really car ethir haha.

The Stones always get to me, too. :}

The dash doesn't talk back. :eek: :lmao:

Sounds a little like our buddy a CM07, uhhh, what was his name? :rolleyes:

acon40
07-19-2007, 08:30 PM
:bowdown: owned on this thread!:bowdown:

subzali
07-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Okay, that makes more sense. Of course I don't have a slushbox so I don't have to worry about these sorts of things! :D

Jenny Cruiser
07-19-2007, 09:20 PM
I almost prefer having the D light out. I keep mistaking it for an idiot light all the time now that it's on.

FJBen
07-20-2007, 08:18 AM
:confused: it moves the seat up and back:confused:

it was just a bad short joke...:eek: