PDA

View Full Version : ghost town run day one

nuclearlemon
07-21-2007, 09:32 PM
as usual, perry and nathaniel did a freakin' awesome job!!!!:bowdown: :cheers:

had a quick run up argentine to the mine, but nathanial took the wrong path and lead us up above the mine. nakman decided to try a challenging trail down to the mine, and quickly informed me that i'd be taking that trail also. :hill:

lots of big rocks, but that didn't bug me. i was a tad worried when i saw him doing a not so controlled sideways slide down some tailings:eek: after that, he got a bit caught up on some rocks, which i swear didn't look that big from where i was standing :D

while he was getting through that, i started working my way over there, while everyone else flipped around to go back to the correct path. the uncontrolled slide went well, and nathaniel spotted me over the big rocks that caught tim, so i wouldn't crush some columbine that were right on the side of the trail.

a bit farther up, tim came across a small vw sized boulder in the middle of the trail, but with some fanagling and a new scratch on his rear flare, he was through. not caring about scratching my rig, i was through before perry could even get his camera ready for pics. :hill:

from there, we headed to silver plume to catch the georgetown loop and the lebanon mine tour. now i can cross that off the list of things to do that i started fifteen years ago;)

train ride was cool, mine tour was cool, getting to climb all over the engine cause you know the engineer was really cool...thanks nathaniel!

after that, i had to head home since i have to deal with the raffle rig again tomorrow:( wish i coulda stayed around for day two.

can't wait for next year!!!!

nuclearlemon
07-21-2007, 09:39 PM
more pics. was an absolutely beautiful day!

nuclearlemon
07-21-2007, 09:41 PM
perry sporting the required mineshaft headwear:hill:

watching the smoke from the train as it heads to georgetown

not for those afraid of heights, or if you are, don't look down. the brown rail at the edge of the pictures is the timbers the tracks are on, than nothing to catch you if you fall. :eek:

nuclearlemon
07-21-2007, 09:46 PM
last pics

bigbluefj
07-22-2007, 11:24 AM
that is way cool...

kevin

AxleIke
07-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Awesome pictures!!!

Looks like a great run!

Groucho
07-23-2007, 07:30 AM
A great big thank you to everyone who showed up and helped make the 3rd annual Ghost Town Run a success. Oficially, we had 12 rigs, but unoficially if you count those who made it up for one day or another, we had 14 or 15.

The potluck dinner was great, we had more food than we could eat. Everyone loved the train ride and mine tour, and Ige amongst all the other kids was really giddy about being able to get up into the locomotive cab and check out some "real iron".

Sure glad we took that wrong turn, otherwise there wouldn't have been any "hardcore" wheeling. Argentine looked clean, even though our sign post was bare already.

Saint's John and Wild Irishman were cool stops. We even had our token "wild Irishman" with us(even though he was driving a toureg) and he named the one cabin still with a roof the Pub. He told us he'd bring us a Guiness sign next time to put inside, we'll dress in period clothes and take a nice sepia photo to really capture the "old west".

Boreas Pass was quick, but we all had a good time wandering around. Perry and I will be attempting a write-up for Trails again.

So thanks, and a special thanks goes out to Kevin(sno bored) for all his help and :beer: !

P.S.--I think we also had a couple more converts to Ham Radio. Tim's CB went out, and I think it will be officially thrown out soon. Ironically, I think most of the converts from this weekend were ladies, so look out for the "ladies" ham class, directed primarily on good operating practice and passing the test.

JadeRunner
07-23-2007, 08:34 AM
P.S.--I think we also had a couple more converts to Ham Radio. Tim's CB went out, and I think it will be officially thrown out soon. Ironically, I think most of the converts from this weekend were ladies, so look out for the "ladies" ham class, directed primarily on good operating practice and passing the test.

Isn't that like the situation where nobody in the department can upgrade to Project 2003 until the entire company migrates to Project 2003? Therefore, all the 2 way radio guys would have to keep a CB in their rig until everyone gets 2 way radios.

treerootCO
07-23-2007, 08:44 AM
I am pretty sure Nakman passed me on hwy93 just North of Christo's yesterday....

Three Wheel Ben
07-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Isn't that like the situation where nobody in the department can upgrade to Project 2003 until the entire company migrates to Project 2003? Therefore, all the 2 way radio guys would have to keep a CB in their rig until everyone gets 2 way radios.

No it just makes your rig alot quieter when your cb isn't squealing all the time.

Groucho
07-23-2007, 09:44 AM

No it just makes your rig alot quieter when your cb isn't squealing all the time.

What LB said. That was the last run I will be on where use my CB. LB didn't have a CB, and Tim's wasn't working. 4 rigs out of 12 were yakking away both days, and everyone else thought it was just awfully quiet.

It sure does show how even a well set up(Hulk)CB is vastly inferior to a basic 2M setup. I was at bakersville 2 miles up from silver plume and couldn't make out Hulk on the CB who was at silver plume. At the same time(almost) I was talking to Nakman on the other side of Loveland Pass at the campsite on 2M, maybe 10 miles as the crow flies over a pass that has maybe 2500 elevation between us and it was face to face clarity.

You guys can yuck it up all you want. We just won't hear it.:hill: BTW, I'm glad I didn't buy one of those 1-way CB radios!

HAM RULES!

Hulk
07-23-2007, 09:59 AM
I mentioned to Hants -- the guys with CB missed out on 75% of the conversation. The nice thing with the ham radio is you never think, "what did he say?" The clarity is amazing.

The test is easy and cheap ($14). You can get a good new 2-meter radio and antenna for about $200.

Tim Nakari and I chatted all the way from Keystone back to Denver, and never saw one another after the first 5 minutes.

JadeRunner
07-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Until we try to radio back to you to tell you we made a left hand turn and we can't contact you.:)

nakman
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
I am pretty sure Nakman passed me on hwy93 just North of Christo's yesterday....

Sorry if I didn't wave, I was still numb from all the traffic on I-70.. and my passengers were pretty ready to be out of the car. But that was a fun trip, thanks again Nathaniel for putting it together and to everyone else for coming, camping together on Saturday was a blast. Perry took some great pics of Ige & I's little diversion, hopefully a couple of those make it up here. I've got a couple new scrapes on my slider, and can't tell which scratches on the fender flare are new and which ones were there before, so those don't count.. :D

And to continue the hijack, one fun perk is there's actually a weekly RS meeting on Monday nights that's open to everyone, and you don't even need to leave your house. Once you get your Ham license & radio we'll tell you how to get there..

Three Wheel Ben
07-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Until we try to radio back to you to tell you we made a left hand turn and we can't contact you.:)

Then we contact someone on one of the repeaters down in town and have them look it up for us in the wells book:bowdown: :eek: :D

Groucho
07-23-2007, 11:35 AM

I thought trail ettiquette is that we always keep the vehicle behind us in our rear view mirror? That way no one would miss the left hand turn!:lmao:

It's surprising that some of the most active members in the club have gone to Ham radio. The "we" that Scott is referring to no longer is the majority on RS runs anymore. I am including in that the folks who have no radio as well (of which we had 2 vehicles on the GTR).

Did I mention we had a token "Wild Irishman" on the run? That was awesome. Ben(firefighter ben), what did your roommate call the pub up there again?

RockRunner
07-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Sounds like you guys had a great time, wish I could have made it. I did pass one of you on I-70 going down the hill into Idaho Springs. I was a green 80 I believe with a nice tire/Hi Lift bumper and a modest lift. Their was a Rising Sun.com sticker on the back and a lady driving. Could not see to well as I was driving too.

Maybe next year we can join in the fun.

Hants
07-23-2007, 01:14 PM
Thanks Nathaniel & Perry! My relatives had a blast on the run and train ride. My sister caught the LC Perma-grin! She took the keys to the LX on Friday when we left home, and reluctantly gave them back to me on Sunday morning.

Left me to drive the Pilot on Argentine. :(

Seldom Seen
07-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Sorry I missed it, but in another episode of "My Life Really Sucks This Summer" we canceled because our dog had to go in for surgery on Wed. The Vet left a drain in and with dressing changes and giving him medications we thought it would be too much of an imposition on the dog sitter we lined up.

I want to thank Nathaniel, Tim, Ben and Matt for allowing me to live the trip vicariously over the radio.

For those who doubt the 2meter radio, resistance is futile you WILL be assimilated.

Since I was stuck at home I decided to pull the Ham mobile out of the 4Runner and revamp some of the wiring. I knew that the guys up in the mountains might be on the Colorado Connection Repeater System, so I set up my temporary 2meter base. My "base" station was nothing more than a home made antenna, using TV ant twin lead, supported by a bicycle safety flag pole duct taped to a lawn chair. The system ws fed by my 5Watt hand held radio.

Fri night I was talking with Tim, Who was at home, and Matt and Nathaniel who were sitting around the camp fire at the camp site.

I never had a problem making contact with some one in the group all weekend.

corsair23
07-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Man...all this talk about Ham radios make me happy I installed the CB in my LX in a way that allows me to go back to stock form :(

One of you Ham experts needs to put up a tech thread for us "Ham challenged" folks about the top 3 best setups. I've read all of the recent threads but honestly I'm still confused...

#1 bare bones approach, #2 intermediate/best bang for the buck option, and #3 top of the line/break the bank approach

lfd270ben
07-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks again nathaniel and perry it was a great trip.

nakman
07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
I didn't take too many pictures, and when I did they all seemed to be of my kid. But that's kinda what this run is all about anyway... see if you can name all three red heads in the last pic (only one is mine ;))

JadeRunner
07-23-2007, 10:08 PM
It sounds like you guys really like those 2 Meter radio's.

I do hate the poor overall quality, poor range and static that I get on my beloved Cobra in dash with front fireing spearker. :)

Groucho
07-24-2007, 05:29 AM
Here are the only 4 shots I took(actually Matt took them) during the entire weekend. They are of Tim and Ige going down the "short way" from the upper level down to the mine.

We also did some trash removal. Bill, does that count toward some hours for our adopted trail stuff?

nuclearlemon
07-24-2007, 08:01 AM
don't even have to pick up trash to have it count. all we have to do is be there, so, yes, turn in the hours.

what was the actual head count? i'll turn it into the state.

Corbet
07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
at the St. John ruins.

Corbet
07-24-2007, 02:02 PM
up at Wild Irishman

Shark Bait
07-24-2007, 02:05 PM
see if you can name all three red heads in the last pic (only one is mine ;))

Charlie, Madeline and Bella. :D What do I win? :eek: :lmao:

Rezarf
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Oh my goodness... there is a 40 in that picture! ;) :D

Sad to have missed thanks for the pics!

Drew

subzali
07-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Ah! :eek: Ige is driving an 80! :eek: oh the humanity! :eek:

:D

Nick F.
07-24-2007, 09:25 PM
I went up on sunday with the wife and kids. We had a great time. Some quick pics.

On the way up from saints john's
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF0017.jpg

Wild Irishman in the foreground
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF0024.jpg

The trucks parked above wild irishman for lunch
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF0028.jpg

A pic of the flowers out the window on boreas pass
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NFerrando/DSCF0054.jpg

Nick F.
07-24-2007, 09:35 PM
I have no idea if this is true or not.

But a guy I work with is a big Colorado history buff and when he heard where I went for the weekend he asked me if I would like to know why it's called Saints John instead of Saint John. I said "well I was wondering that myself"

He said...

When the town was formed, the towns people got together and and decided the town should be called Saint John. Which was fine and dandy, but half the people thought it was after John the Baptist, and the other half thought it was after John the Evangalist. He said the dispute got so heated, shots were fired. In the interest of keeping the peace they named it Saints John after the both of them.

Anyone confirm this?

Beater
07-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Have some background in hf, I will say y'all are right about the clarity and such. However, I will also say that MOST people don't get a real cb either. When I made the jump to a real unit, with max power, proper tuning, cabling, and antenna, the cb difference was amazing. All those things a ham set up has from the beginning (currently) Right now, you really can't get a "cheap" ham set-up like you can a cb. meaning, you can get a cheap 60.00 set up for cb, including antenna, and it will perform like it.

2m is cool, and is way better for alpine wheeling from a safety aspect. I can't remember the last time I was actually able to find an emergency worker on cb...

Three Wheel Ben
07-25-2007, 09:33 AM
True, but no matter how much you spend on a cb you're never gonna hit the repeaters.

I was late on Sat and could talk to Nathaniel in Keystone, and Tim about 10-15 miles ahead of me on I-70 with the group. Much clearer and easier to understand than the cb. Granted we were using the repeater but even simplex will get you 30+ miles. Plus at the end of the day we headed back to camp through Dillon and were able to talk to Brian down in Denver so we knew just how much heat we were missing.

I couldn't find my cb and didn't really miss it all weekend. Maybe I hid it from myself so I didn't have to suffer through using it.

wesintl
07-27-2007, 09:01 AM
where is wild irishman?

nakman
07-27-2007, 11:01 AM
where is wild irishman?

It was up above Saints Johns, which was just past Montezuma which is behind Keystone.

nakman
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
Yeah, Montezuma. one of those M towns.. I'll update the above. :o

Jethro
08-02-2007, 06:12 PM
My daughter, Kerry Fannon took some photos on this run. They can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/gp/9000526@N06/Tqj6u2

Here's a sample:

Hants
08-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Wow... unless she's already a professional photographer, she should quit her day job! :)

Corbet
08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
What model camera is she using. Those pictures are outstanding!!! Did she use any software to "enhance" them?

wesintl
08-03-2007, 10:24 AM
flickr is pretty cool

http://www.flickr.com/photo_exif.gne?id=969845032&context=set-72157601133375735

BTW nice photos Kerry!

Corbet
08-03-2007, 11:51 AM
That is cool, but now I have another toy to add to "the list". At least most of my old 35mm lenses would work with that.