PDA

View Full Version : If you had a 40 in pieces ?

Convert
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
Just like the title says " If you had a FJ40 in pieces how would you build it" Just curious what others would do with a project in pieces. General guidelines go like this.

Stock looking body( no cutting for clearance)
2F Engine
35 - 37ish Tires

Thanks Dan:thumb:

Shark Bait
07-24-2007, 11:25 PM
2F Engine
35 - 37ish Tires

Good start, Dan. Add an SM420 and 3-speed t-case (or Orion :D), front and rear lockers. 4" springs. Shackle reversal kit. Disc brake front from a '76-'83 FJ40 and a TSM rear disc brake kit. Power steering, I did FJ60, but also Saginaw, mini-truck or Scout. Bucket seats, you can re-cover some stock seats or non-OEM (like these nice leather buckets from a '93 Jimmy (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4172). If you buy the seats I'll give you the FJ40 floor/seat brackets. Actually, if you have the older style seats the older brackets are perfect for mounting non-OEM seats). Front (I have one of those (http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4207) FS, also) and rear bumper. Rock rails/sliders. Soft top. Roll cage. Tuffy console. Tunes. 2m radio.

HTH :D

corsair23
07-25-2007, 03:41 AM
2F Engine
35 - 37ish Tires

Can you get 35-37" tires to fit without cutting the body :confused:. On RMC's site there is a table that says 35" tires and 4" lift will require trimming --> here (http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/know.html)

Those better versed on FJ40s than I are sure to know

Just food for thought :D

Uncle Ben
07-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Can you get 35-37" tires to fit without cutting the body :confused:. On RMC's site there is a table that says 35" tires and 4" lift will require trimming --> here (http://www.rockymountaincruisers.com/know.html)

Nope!

nakman
07-25-2007, 09:35 AM
How about SOA on stock springs, with a nice track bar setup? That'll do 35's no prob.. You oughta take a 6-pack up to Ian's sometime and stare at what he's got cookin' Dan, I think you'd like it...

remind him that ski season is over when you're up there. :eek:

:)

Romer
07-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Start by getting the frame porperly prepped so it is like new. If I had unlimited budget I would go for a GM Vortec engine and an automatic. The Metal tech fenders treeroot has instead of the stock fenders.

wesintl
07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
soa...

subzali
07-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Performance build the 2F...like Andrewfarmer on MUD or Uncle Ben's siamese F!

MDH33
07-25-2007, 11:11 AM
build a 2f, add a 4 speed and Orion, SOA, full cage, powersteering, lockers, replace all the rusted metal while you have the body off the frame and since it's going to be awhile before you're driving it, get in on a group order for a Softop from Pakistan. :thumb:

FJBen
07-25-2007, 11:43 AM
2F and 35's~37's...

Here's what I'd do...(have done/doing/etc)

SOA w/stock springs, one or both flipped
Antiwrap bar
Bilstein 5100's

Disc front/rear
ARB's front/rear
30 Spline Longfields

Saginaw Powersteering
Highsteer of somesort

1st choice=Orion T-case....keep your 4.10's for highway with a 4 speed
2nd choice=SM420/465 to get lower gearing...that you'll NEED with 35/37 and 2F power...

Rebuilt aisin carb or TBI swap.

of course the givens...roll cage, OBA, winch..etc.

I basically have this setup...37's, 350, (TBI this weekend) SM420, SOA, saginaw, highsteer, 30 spline longs, e-locker front/ARB rear...blah blah blah...

here's mine...no body cutting.

treerootCO
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
What I would do with a 40 in pieces is put it in the backyard and stare at it for about eleven years... :D

bustanutley
07-25-2007, 12:56 PM
run 40's, stretch the wheelbase at least 12" and link the front. Also do all the little things that revolve around making 40s work

Convert
07-25-2007, 06:06 PM
What I would do with a 40 in pieces is put it in the backyard and stare at it for about eleven years... :DIt has already aged in your backyard, and now I am doing the staring :thumb: Time to start building.

lfd270ben
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM

My 38's fit with plenty of room but I also have about 8" of lift. I didn't want to cut up the nice body lines

Convert
07-26-2007, 08:54 PM
SOA is on the A list, What about a 60 series drive train? Axles, engine,tranny, transfercase and power steering. Donor rig would make the transition easier.
Just some thoughts
Thanks Dan

subzali
07-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Wider axles, split case, power steering are definitely upgrades in some peoples' minds, especially with SOA. Does your rig have an engine? If not then it sounds like a donor rig would put your truck on the road/trail with some fine components! :thumb:

MDH33
07-27-2007, 09:08 AM
SOA is on the A list, What about a 60 series drive train? Axles, engine,tranny, transfercase and power steering. Donor rig would make the transition easier.
Just some thoughts
Thanks Dan

Good idea, and donor 60's can be had on the cheap lately. I'll keep my eyes open on Craigslist for you. :thumb:

Rzeppa
07-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Just like the title says " If you had a FJ40 in pieces how would you build it" Just curious what others would do with a project in pieces. General guidelines go like this.

2F Engine
35 - 37ish Tires

Thanks Dan:thumb:Well I do (have one that was recently in mostly pieces), and how I am pursuing that very project is putting it back very close to 1976 stock except for complete OME suspension, a rear lockright and an H41. So that's how I've decided to do it on mine. Thing is, I "only" plan to run 33s on it.

If I wanted to run 35-37s on it the build would be much more expensive, less highway friendly and potentially less reliable.

After all the (uncomfortable) seat time I've spent in 40s with 4" springs I'd have to go SOA to fit 35-37s. Then it would need a track bar, and of course retubed driveshafts. Orion and/or 4.56s. IMHO 4.88s just don't do it on road.

The difference between 33x10.5 and 35x12.5 in terms of steering wheel effort is dramatic, so I'd have to do a P/S conversion of some sort. I like Mini truck for it's (relative) simplicity and stockness, but a 60 or astro conversion would be my next choice. I have never been a fan of saginaw conversions. I don't like the feel, and the engineering considerations can be compromising.

If it were a pre-1976 front end I'd probably upgrade to a 60 disk conversion, with V6 calipers. I do not see a worthwhile tradeoff for the work on a RDB conversion, other than that it's a poor-man's FF when the axle breaks. If I had the doner rig, I'd even opt for a late model FJ45/HJ47 all drum setup. They are much beefier that either disk or "regular" cruiser drums, and have much more stopping power than cruiser disks. FF rear to boot, eh!

I have to reiterate my good friend Wayne Smith's adage about modifying cruisers though: "The farther you go from stock, the farther you go from that legendary cruiser reliability". That's something I learned for myself, and is why I'm keeping my 76 project pretty close to stock.