PDA

View Full Version : Buena vista area trails

Man Jerk
07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
I am looking for some help.

I have a friend driving his TJ out from Minnesota to do some wheeling with me for the weekend of Aug 10th.

I am looking at the general area around Buena Vista, due it it's somewhat close proximity from the springs and it's scenic stuff. We are looking at doing mostly easier scenic stuff. We won't shy away from anything that is more difficult.

What I am looking for is suggestions of trails and/or specific routes to run. We will be driving down on Friday afternoon/evening, wheeling Saturday and Sunday and driving home sunday evening. I'm not real farmiliar with the area, so I'm not sure how far trails are from each other.

Thanks in advance.

Red_Chili
07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
There is quite a network of trails, from the easy Hancock and Tincup passes, to Pomeroy Lakes, Antero, Baldwin, and an easy but unbeatable view route up Princeton. From still air to 50mph winds at the top, then walk back from the ridge and check out the cabin that overnighters constantly stock with provisions (owned by YoungLife, IIRC). Camping and easy wheeling in the Four Mile area SE of BV (north of Chinaman's), and of course Old Chinaman's Gulch which is more challenging but not over the top. At the harder end is Iron Chest, which ends with, you guessed it, scenic. There's more I have probably forgotten. You can hike to the old Alpine Tunnel (narrow gauge, only open for at most a half dozen years due to moisture and rock collapse, back in the turn of the last century) from the end of Hancock Pass route. Great camping.

Lots to do there. Get Charles Wells' books for a primer (www.funtreks.com, get the spiral bound).

Uncle Ben
07-27-2007, 10:54 AM
In that direct area you have a lot of incredible choices. China Wall is very close but it a little tougher. Mount Antero would be an incredible day trip and is also very close, mostly easy with a couple attention getters. Up Chalk Creek to the west you will find a mining area loaded with amazing adventures. A tougher short trail near St. Elmo is Iron Chest. You can do a really fun loop from St. Elmo over Tin Cup Pass then pick one of several routes to get back and entertain you in a fantastic area. Get a map of the area! BTW....Mount Princeton Hot Springs is a great mineral pool!

Man Jerk
07-27-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks,

I've got the Charles Wells book, and have been studying it often.

I guess what I am looking for the most is a specific route that a small group could do in a weekend. Trying to get the most off pavement time in 2 days.

Red_Chili
07-27-2007, 11:00 AM
Do all the Chalk Creek routes, one weekend, no problem! Heck, all the ones I mentioned are doable in a weekend. Iron Chest might tie you up a bit.