PDA

View Full Version : Jeep rolls off Radiacl Hill and woman dies

Romer
07-29-2007, 10:00 AM
Story in the paper today that yesterday a Jeep climbing the steep and narrow Radial Hill slippd off the trail and rolled almost half a mile.

Evrgrnmtnman
07-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Is there a link?

Tch2fly
07-29-2007, 10:29 AM
Here: Denver Post Article (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_6491052)

A woman was killed Saturday and her companion severely injured when their Jeep tumbled from the top of a steep off-road trail in Summit County.

The fatal accident happened at the top of Radical Hill, a 12,500-foot summit that can be reached along a narrow road used by hikers and four-wheel-drive vehicles.

At the summit, "the vehicle came off and went approximately a half mile down the side of a mountain before coming to a rest," said Joe Ben Slivka, a spokesman for the Summit County Rescue Group.

He described the Radical Hill trail, at the southern edge of Summit County, as very popular with Jeep drivers. "It's a difficult four-wheel-drive trail, but not impossible," he said. "We do have a fair number of accidents that occur there annually."

The names of the woman who died and the man in the vehicle, who was flown out with a head injury, were not released. The accident was discovered late in the afternoon.

Rezarf
07-29-2007, 10:52 AM
That is very sad. My prayers are with her family and friends.

Red_Chili
07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
"A fair number of accidents that occur there annually"? Really?

Seems like you would have to really not be paying attention to make that happen, but then I wasn't there. By the wording ("the accident was discovered late in the afternoon") it sounds like no one else was either :(

JadeRunner
07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
From 9news:
"Search and Rescue says some friends following the Jeep witnessed the accident, ran down the mountain and carried the two people back onto the service road."

Sorry to hear this. This hits home since I know that top section so well and do it every year. I can speculate on two scenarios, especially if it was a stock jeep with no lockers and an inexperienced driver. There is that one section you get too when going up. It's just above the last switchback. There are large holes and it's real loose.

1. Going up this section with no lockers you spin out and get sideways on this steep hill. Then your faced with trying to back down to get straighten out and get into trouble.

2. If coming down this section you could easily start to lift wheels in the holes and start to partially slide out of control and then have to immediately turn right at the first tight steep switchback.

Chris
07-29-2007, 09:43 PM
"Seems like you would have to really not be paying attention to make that happen, but then I wasn't there. By the wording ("the accident was discovered late in the afternoon") it sounds like no one else was either :(

The initial news report stated that someone behind him saw it happen. I trust that to be true but there's been no follow-up of that from what I've seen.

Regardless, very sad to hear. My sincere condolences to the families who are affected.

Three Wheel Ben
07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
That's too bad, we were just up there last weekend.

JadeRunner
07-30-2007, 10:02 PM
Here is some more info on the Sat. roll. Plus there was evidentially another roll on Radical today with no one hurt this time. I got the info here: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Update from the Denver post.

2 ID'd in four-wheeling accident
By John Ingold
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Last Updated: 07/30/2007 05:32:38 PM MDT

A Centennial woman was identified today as the victim of a weekend rollover accident on a four-wheel drive trail high in Colorado's central mountains.

Darra Lee Goodman was killed Saturday when the four-wheel drive vehicle she was riding in slid off a switchback on a trail and tumbled nearly a half mile down the mountainside, the Park County Coroner announced today. The accident happened near Whale Peak, just below the continental divide in Park County.

Both Goodman and the vehicle's driver, Bradley Louderbhek, also of Centennial, were ejected from the vehicle, Coroner Sharon Morris said. Friends four-wheeling in another vehicle drove the pair to Summit County, where they were met by search and rescue crews.

Louderbhek was taken to St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver, where he remains in critical condition, Morris said.

Morris said backcountry trails such as the one the accident occurred on can be treacherous.

"This isn't the first accident of this type that we have had in this location," she said.

Staff writer John Ingold can be reached at 720-929-0898 or jingold@denverpost.com.