PDA

View Full Version : You knew it was coming...cooling system

subzali
07-29-2007, 08:47 PM
This spring (and especially today, going slow/idling on the trail) I have been experiencing a little overheating. I'm thinking it may be fan clutch related because once I get moving then the temp gauge drops way down again, but it was rising to just above the hatch close to the H (meaning just inside the "red" zone) today if I left it idling.

-Is there a service interval for the fan clutch (I'm assuming all I should need to do is change out the clutch fluid or whatever)

-Is this a drain/refill procedure or do you just add more? I'm assuming you can buy it at NAPA etc.

I'm gonna try this first, seems like a simple solution if it is the problem and it doesn't seem to me to be like a thermostat issue.

Rezarf
07-29-2007, 09:16 PM
This spring (and especially today, going slow/idling on the trail) I have been experiencing a little overheating. I'm thinking it may be fan clutch related because once I get moving then the temp gauge drops way down again, but it was rising to just above the hatch close to the H (meaning just inside the "red" zone) today if I left it idling.

-Is there a service interval for the fan clutch (I'm assuming all I should need to do is change out the clutch fluid or whatever)

-Is this a drain/refill procedure or do you just add more? I'm assuming you can buy it at NAPA etc.

I'm gonna try this first, seems like a simple solution if it is the problem and it doesn't seem to me to be like a thermostat issue.

Matt-

I dont think the clutch has any fluid in it, I think it is mechanically operated with a thermal spring coil thingy... I could be wrong.

As for the radiator, you might try flushing it and refilling it with the proper mix. You might consider having the radiator recored, but I would see how it goes with good coolant and a good flushing.

Uncle Ben
07-29-2007, 11:18 PM
Matt-

I dont think the clutch has any fluid in it, I think it is mechanically operated with a thermal spring coil thingy... I could be wrong.

As for the radiator, you might try flushing it and refilling it with the proper mix. You might consider having the radiator recored, but I would see how it goes with good coolant and a good flushing.

Clutch fans usually do have a viscous fluid (silicone). The bi-metal spring simply closes bi pass ports inside the clutch making the clutch more resistant to freewheeling.

Rezarf
07-30-2007, 11:20 AM
There you go! I learn something new everyday here... sometimes twice a day.

Drew

MDH33
07-30-2007, 11:43 AM
A coolant flush, new thermostat and gaskets is an easy first step and good preventative measure. Try that first if it's been awhile since you did a flush. I just did this on my 40 and it's running much cooler. :thumb:

(I waited too long to do this maintenance on my 60 and now I'm looking at replacing the radiator, water pump and all the hoses to the tune of 500 bones...) :o

subzali
07-30-2007, 08:54 PM
:doh: knew it was easy, just low on coolant. I've been leaking a little bit here and there, apparently it adds up? :dunno:

(that was a joke) - I had the rad hot tanked etc. summer 05, heater core I cleaned out this last spring, so should be good to go otherwise. I'm still going to look into the fan clutch a little bit, just so I know how it all works :D