PDA

View Full Version : Tire replacement

LandBruiser
07-30-2007, 10:09 PM
Well, the inevitable happened this wknd. Running with no spare finally caught up to me. Didn't end up running chinaman, instead went up Grizzly Lake. Made it up and down fine. Then at the camp spot I was dickin around crawlin up a rock (on the trail) and when I backed down I tore open a sidewall:mad: Threw a few plugs in it and limped back to the D the next day at 60mph with my ass cheeks sqeezed the whole way:D

I bought a new tire...from 4wheelparts. I intend to get the road hazard replacement from Discount Tire like i should have. Now I am kind of hoping to rip another sidewall so I can at least have two new matching tires Do they replace the tire no question? Does anyone have experience with this? It has to be worth $120 right?

nuclearlemon
07-30-2007, 10:59 PM
dang...wish i'd known you'd be up at grizzly, i'd've hitched a ride with someone runnign that trail instead. did you see the all 4 fun group that was running that trail?

for a spare, you should've just looked for a used one, they're free to $20. too late now ;)

never had a roadhazard warranty, so i can't help you there...sorrry.

LandBruiser
07-30-2007, 11:46 PM
Yep, saw them early sunday morn. They had like 12+ Jeep rigs up on the trail all in a row and decided to air down before the first obstacle, instead of the parking lot, which was blocking the trail from where we camped:confused: So we waited for them and talked/watched them go up.

A jeep broke his window out up at the top on a tree on saturday. He was from AZ and didnt bother to scoop up his glass:confused: I had 4 people and three full size dogs in my rig so I didnt have anything to shovel the glass in besides a cooler and a toolbox:(

I did bring a decent bfg tire on a jeep rim we found in the woods back down and dropped it off in the parking area. Hopefully a heeper took it with them!

corsair23
07-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Jason,

You need to read the "fine print" on the certs. In the case of Discount I believe you have to buy the certs at the time of tire purchase from them. Then, should you rip a sidewall sometime during the next three years or before the tire is down to 3/32nds (whichever is first), they'll refund you the purchase price of the tire. You can then choose to buy a replacement tire at the original price paid. If you choose to have the tire replaced and want a cert then you have to buy another cert for that tire, plus pay for mounting and balancing.

So, not entirely "free" but good insurance. To replace the tire you're probably looking at $50-$60 bucks for the cert (if you buy one) and mounting/balancing. On a 80 though with AWD you're probably looking at a whole lot more $$. Unless you rip a sidewall early on in the tire's life that is . But say you're nearing the end of the 3yrs and have 25K on the tires and rip one sidewall. Discount replaces the tire but now you have 1 new tire and 3 with 25K miles on them. That probably won't fly with the AWD and keeping it happy. In that case you'd probably go for the refund, buy 4 brand new tires (maybe 5), and try to sell the other 3-4 to recoup some of the cost...

As for "trying" to get new tires every year or so...I imagine that at some point Discount (or any other vendor) will just choose to not sell you a new cert :dunno:

I have seen threads where folks have had multiple tires replaced so I am not sure what Discount's "limit" would be.

Edit: I've always bought road hazard warranties on my tires and have yet to take advantage of any of them, ever :( So I'm one of those folks they love to have buy tires :hill:

subzali
07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
Speaking of replacing several tires, my buddy was thinking of doing that at Big O to get a new set of tires but never did. It's definitely a gray area if not worse, but you think about the service and how much money they're making on people that buy it and never end up using it (me so far on two sets of tires). So that probably makes up for the one or two people here and there that "abuse" it. Jeff's comments about the AWD are good though, didn't think of that even though I have to be concerned about the same thing with my Lockright :doh:

Tch2fly
07-31-2007, 09:23 AM
I have used my Certs on several occasions on both my cars and the 80. I have been pleased with them. The only cost is a new cert IF you choose to purchase one (I think it is expected but not required).
I ruined a 7000 mile BFG AT last year and it was replaced for $20. In my case I do not use my spare in my normal rotation so I put the new tire and my spare on the same axle. If I had needed to replace all four it would have been like a buy 3 get the 4th free deal ;)

It is like insurance .... you are betting you will use it and they are betting you won't. Up to this point based on the number of times I have used them I think I have come out ahead (but not by much :hill: )

off subject .... Ige if you want to go to Grizzly just tell me when! I love going up there (although I put off my annual trip this year :( to attend the Rally :D )

LandBruiser
07-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Jason,

In the case of Discount I believe you have to buy the certs at the time of tire purchase from them.

I just asked them yesterday and they said you can buy them whenever you want. They would just have to do an inspection to see the condition of the tires.

Well, too late now I already spent $300 for a new tire at 4wheel parts. I just bought a Swamper spare for $50 today and still need a 15x10 rim to put it on. I really need to buy the replacement Road Hazard thing cause I can see it happening again, even tho the IROKs are tough I am sure it will happen. My other 3 have 12k on them so they are half worn... hope it doesn't stress the TC too much.

I am not used to 4wheeling being so expensive....besides gas:D
If only Toyota made tires

subzali
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
sorry for a hijack, but where is Grizzly Lake? Is that up by St. Elmo?

corsair23
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
I just asked them yesterday and they said you can buy them whenever you want. They would just have to do an inspection to see the condition of the tires.

That is good to know :thumb:

I was reading my Discount cert for my Toyos last night (ok, this morning) when I was typing up the info and it clearly states that the certs must be purchased at the time of tire purchase :dunno:. I've got 5 MTRs on my 40 that maybe I'll call and see if they'll cover. 4 have about 5 miles on them and one has 0 miles on it :o.

Sounds like if they are willing to sell you the cert they will which is nice to know as I wouldn't even have asked.

Guess if I don't get the 40 out of the garage to drive and wheel though there isn't much sense in insuring the tires :(

Tch2fly
07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
sorry for a hijack, but where is Grizzly Lake? Is that up by St. Elmo?

Exactly, just before you get to the town. The trail head is near the beginning of Iron Chest and Baldwin Lakes trails. Well worth the drive ...
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/FJ80FUN/cruiser/griz12.jpg

wesintl
07-31-2007, 01:14 PM
discout sells iroks?

LandBruiser
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
discout sells iroks?

They can get whatever you want. I just had to have them special order them. The sales guy kept on trying to get me to get the MTRs but I held my ground:cool:

I think I'll go with the Truxus next time as they are cheaper and will last longer with all the road driving I do. I also pulled a 4wheelparts trick on them and got them less than 1100 when they originally quoted me more than 1200.

They both say they'll beat anybodys price so use it against them and make them compete for your business!!!! BTW 4wheelparts offers the same replacement plan

bustanutley
07-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Are these radial iroks?

LandBruiser
07-31-2007, 02:58 PM
Yep! What, can't believe I got them that cheap?

I am running 15" rims

RockRunner
08-01-2007, 09:11 AM
To late now, but when I blow a tire I buy two and move the used good one to the spare. Once I have more than two
I sell the worst one.

Discount is very customer oriented, I have worked with them since the mid 90's. During the '97 CM I tore three (3) BFG MT's and they all had the certs on them. I had to buy two in Moab and Dan Dilley lend me the third one to keep on playing. Back in Denver discount did not even blink an eye when they walked out and saw three tires strapped to my roof rack. Three new tires later with new certs and I was a very happy guy.

As mentioned earlier, not everyone uses there certs just as they don't use there medical insurance etc. They still make the money and get a good rep, just look at this thread and others.

What size tires are you running? I bought new rims just so I could go back to 15" once. There is nearly a $28 difference between a 15" MTR and a 16", I don't get it there is less rubber and they charge more, don't even compare the 17/18" rim sizes. Before the reason was that they did not sell that many of the large rim sizes, what is the reason now.................oil prices??????