PDA

View Full Version : Weld through primer options?

Rezarf
08-01-2007, 01:16 PM
Title says most of it, what do I need to get that will allow priming of sheet metal and not contaminate the weld?

I would think zinc would be on the menu?

Got any specific brands that work well?

Thanks! :thumb:

Drew

Beater
08-01-2007, 01:18 PM
huh? weld first, then clean and prime. period. end of story

87Xota
08-01-2007, 01:43 PM
There is weld thru primer that we use in body shops, it's name is kind of misleading though, you don't actually weld thru it if you want good welds. It does have a higher Zinc content so it doesn't burn off as easily from the welding heat

You use it when joining two panels together, coat the bare metal where it will set against the other panel or in other words the inside seam, then you grind off just enough under the spot weld areas for a good weld surface. That way once that seam is all welded up, you have primer on all the bare metal on the inside areas that you can no longer get access to.

Weld thru primer is not a good surface primer, it's really only for this one job.

There is no one particular brand that's better then another. Automotive paint suppliers will have it.

Beater
08-01-2007, 03:18 PM
oh - body panels... I leave that to professional types like xota.

Rezarf
08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
There is weld thru primer that we use in body shops, it's name is kind of misleading though, you don't actually weld thru it if you want good welds. It does have a higher Zinc content so it doesn't burn off as easily from the welding heat

You use it when joining two panels together, coat the bare metal where it will set against the other panel or in other words the inside seam, then you grind off just enough under the spot weld areas for a good weld surface. That way once that seam is all welded up, you have primer on all the bare metal on the inside areas that you can no longer get access to.

Weld thru primer is not a good surface primer, it's really only for this one job.

There is no one particular brand that's better then another. Automotive paint suppliers will have it.

Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Unreachable spots after this thing is together.

Drew