PDA

View Full Version : SM420/3spd questions...

FJBen
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
well, from simple valve seal job to the complete engine removal leak repair TBI swap...I"m pulling the t-case apart to find the leaks :lmao:

So I'm at the point of separating the tcase from the tranny. I know the 5 bolts, and then the bolt on the tranny output shaft. The t-case came loose about .5" but then it's not just going to slide off. Do I need to get a puller to get that off? or pry?

I've had luck with the toy/4speed in prying it off, but dunno if there is something different with the sm420/3speed setup?

The front nosecose had oil in it when I removed the driveshaft. It appears it's leaking out of there. Which seal is it that causing leaking there? I'd like to fix that as well.

thanks!

treerootCO
08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
did you get the bolt that is inside the side inspection cover?

FJBen
08-02-2007, 11:50 AM
did you get the bolt that is inside the side inspection cover?

There were two nuts when I popped the side cover. Two on the top, and one towards the bottom. Then the one on the shaft.

should it slide off or press off?

wesintl
08-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Sometimes that gear mesh's on the output shaft and it's a bear to get off. Use a bearing puller on it. I've also used some 2x4 cut wooden wedges in a pinch since they would deform and not hurt the case.