PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Belgium

60wag
08-03-2007, 04:13 AM
The family and I are on holiday in Belgium seeking seeking out castles, good beer and unusual Cruisers. (Well, that's my agenda anyhow.) The castles and beer have been easy. You can't turn a corner without passing a beer cafe. The array of local brews is amazing. My wife and I are about to set off on another bike ride to explore the local area. (We're about 30km north of Antwerp.) The ride will likely include several "rest" stops at these abundant corner cafes. What a great system.

The castles range from archeological ruins to lavishly inhabited homes. The attached picture is an amazing castle in the town of Bouillon near the border with France.

The Cruisers are few and far apart but I have spotted several sweet trucks. The 75 pictured below was in Ettlebruck Luxembourg. They all seem to be diesel here. There are more Nissan Patrols than Cruisers but they are oddly similar - almost like the subtle differences in the domestic Ford vs Chevy products.

I've been driving an Opel Zafira with a 2.0 l intercooled turbo engine. Its like a smallish minivan an easliy does 40-42 mpg on the highway. I'm sold on the small diesel engines - plenty of power and easy on the fuel. I'm still baffled as to why there aren't more in the US. Hondas and Toyotas are much more rare than Opels, Pugeots, Citroens, BMWs and Mercedes but they are nearly all diesel.

I'll post more pix when I get home next week - (Photoshop is being rather uncooperative at the moment.)

Bruce

wesintl
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Sounds fun. Have you been to Brugge before? It's the gem of Belgium imho

I'm sold on the TDI's too ;)

nakman
08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Wow, cool stuff! yes keep the pics coming please... :)

subzali
08-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Sweet! Another place to add for the Europe trip someday!

60wag
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
We spent a day in Brugge. Its a very cool medival city. We went to the Brugge Zot brewery for a tour. Its been making beer for something like 300ish years. Its funny how so much of the history comes back to beer or wine. I like Brugge but it was a bit crowded with tourists - like me. Most are European though, I've heard very little English spoken. Some visitors are from the UK but very few seem to be American.

We also did a couple of days in Paris. It is an amazing city but after two days of negotiating narrow and crowded sidewalks I was ready ready to return to beautiful rural countryside of Belgium. There's something about seeing 500 people waiting in line to go up in the Eifel Tower that makes the tower tour seem like a waste of time. Its good to to tour the popular cities but it further reinforces my desire to stick with less crowded options.

Our trip has been based on a home exchange with a Belgium family. They have been staying our Boulder house while we have been living in their house. They (the father) is a bit obsessed with Colorado. Their house is full of Colorado pictures, (I'm looking at a pic of the Crystal Mill as I type this.) The car I have been driving has a Colorado bumper sticker it - which is kinda cool since almost none of the cars here have any stickers on them. Visiting Belgium and the european communities near here are neat but looking forward to returning home to Colorado is a very satisfying feeling. I'm ready to get the Cruiser out for some wheelin'.

nakman
08-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Don't worry Bruce, your 80's doing plenty of wheelin' without you. We did uppper Carnage last night, when you get sliders put on you'll hardly be able to see the rocker damage. Also Uncle Ben and I are taking the Belgium guy up to run Spring Creek tonight, that should be a little mellower than last night... btw your spare was a little low on air... and your drain plug on the rear diff is going to be a little hard to get off after being perched up on that rock like that. Thank goodness his wife was behind him in your 60 so we could strap him off backwards.. that control arm on the left side was already bent, right?

:lmao:

Uncle Ben
08-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Don't worry Bruce, your 80's doing plenty of wheelin' without you. We did uppper Carnage last night, when you get sliders put on you'll hardly be able to see the rocker damage. Also Uncle Ben and I are taking the Belgium guy up to run Spring Creek tonight, that should be a little mellower than last night... btw your spare was a little low on air... and your drain plug on the rear diff is going to be a little hard to get off after being perched up on that rock like that. Thank goodness his wife was behind him in your 60 so we could strap him off backwards.. that control arm on the left side was already bent, right?
:lmao:

Good thing you didn't tell him about the loose lug nuts! That scared the hell outta me! :eek:

nakman
08-03-2007, 02:12 PM
God thing you didn't tell him about the loose lug nuts! That scared the hell outta me! :eek:

No kidding!! That wedding party at the Green Briar must have thought we were nuts, chasing after that tire like that.. :eek:

RockRunner
08-04-2007, 05:19 PM
If you go Amsterdam or Holland in general pick me up some black liqurice, the real stuff. Every six months or so I have a few pounds send my way.

Enjoy Belgie (dutch spelling) and mahe sure you eat some pome friets (french fries) with mayonese.

I wish I was there right now, I miss it.

wesintl
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I always enjoyed the country side more as well. :cheers: