PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Doodle Lake Kiosk Installation Party

Red_Chili
08-03-2007, 09:11 AM
It's official- the weekend of 8/25 is the event we've been building toward.

We will meet at Rollinsville at [EDIT: was noon, now 9AM] Saturday, 8/25 (or about 11-ish at Yankee Doodle Lake I'm guessing). We will pick up the Boulder Ranger District archaeologist and possibly another BRD person at Rollinsville. We will then proceed to Yankee Doodle Lake, punch holes in the ground, proceed with concreting and positioning and whatnot - I will leave the particulars to Sir John Henley on the sequence of work itself.

Commencing around dusk, we shall retire to the woods and regale each other with fantastic tales of derring-do whilst consuming moderate amounts of adult beverage, watching satellites whiz around the earth, and settling in for a great alpine slumber in the sheltering woods. Upon sunup, we will enjoy the fine breakfasts we prepare (no doubt there will be culinary competition), and finish the kiosk installation, then do a Jenny Creek trail run for the afternoon!

I can tell you where not to camp...

Here is what is needed; I need a person or persons to grab an item as a to-do:
1. Procurement of concrete. I figure 6-10 bags, John will correct me if I am wrong. Mike W.
2. Procurement of a post hole digger. NOT the manual kind (alone- we will need a couple of these for hole cleanout). Some discussion around the BRDOHV table indicated that a backhoe might be advisable. I did see what looked to be a stout posthole auger machine at Home Depot that is a tow-behind, and I thought it might be adequate. But we will need pikes for rocks, and a backhoe might save the day (and backs). My instinct tells me Uncle Ben would be the subject matter expert here and maybe the go-to guy. OOPS! UB can't do it. Bill (Red Chili) will take care of the auger.
3. Hauling of the kiosk to the site at the lake. John will haul, will need help loading it Friday night.
4. Hauling of water containers for mixing concrete in the hole. Martin's got this one
5. Somebody to point out what I have forgotten.:lmao:
--->5A. For instance, a generator to run grinders. A very hefty inverter might do. Chris will bring Romer's generator.
--->5B. Vehicle based welder, such as a Redi-Welder, or Mobi-Arc, or such. That failing, oxyacetylene will do. John to arrange to pick up a Redi Welder from LexusBen Thurs. afternoon?
6. Someone to foreman the work crew. As the kiosk is John's design, and he directed the building of it with an eye to installation, I do hope John will do this. Yep, John has this

This will be a tad bit of work in the beginning, but overall, light work, and a BIG fun, relaxing, and productive weekend! Nice way to begin the waning of summer.

treerootCO
08-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Just let me know what jobs do not get picked up. I'll take up the slack.

As far as water goes, barrels are considered construction materials and are not allowed in the city of Wheat Ridge. We will need to find another way to haul water up there.

MDH33
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I'll be there to help as needed. Looking forward to it. :thumb:

Tch2fly
08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I will be there. I will plan to pick-up the concrete

Uncle Ben
08-03-2007, 09:48 AM
I'm totally in....all the way! Small backhoe no problem....along with bull bars, manual post hole diggers, whatnot and pulled by a dumptruck.

Red_Chili
08-03-2007, 10:58 AM
SWEET! OK you fellers, I will start putting names to tasks on the first post. And Treeroot, the only slack you will be picking up will be that which weighs less than 5 lbs.

Although driving a trailer might come in handy... 5 gal buckets for water should suffice, from Home Depot or something.

MDH33
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
I have one of Mikes old 50 gallon barrels with a tap on it that I can fill with water and haul up.

Uncle Ben
08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. :rolleyes: I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)

MDH33
08-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Shat! I knew that weekend sounded familiar. While it wasn't on the calendar (thus the reason I piped right up) it should not have had to be. My brother in FLA is getting re-married and I am supposed to be there as kind of a brotherly support thang. :rolleyes: I do not want to miss the JK work weekend as it is very important to me plus I have means the club needs to get-r-done smoothly. What do I do now? Anyway of a reschedule? (somehow I have my doubts the bro will change dates....)

The only other weekend was the 18th and 19th, which would conflict with the TBP. But maybe there are enough people not doing that run that there would be enough?

Red_Chili
08-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I think it runs the risk of falling apart if we change it... the BRD could barely squeeze it, and so many club members could only make the 25th. :(

Hey, UB, care to delegate to a worthy stand-in?

subzali
08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
I've got old-skool manual post-hole diggers that are an auger-screw type - much easier on the ol' back and usually much more effective - even in rocks to a certain extent. I don't know how many holes we're planning on punching in the ground, but I can still bring them and maybe they'll be of help - if I can make it on Saturday. I'll be there for sure later in the afternoon (hopefully before you quit) but not sure yet if I can get up there by noon or even early afternoon. If I had a truck and trailer I'd be willing to bring up some equipment, but as of now...I guess I could tow the rental auger from Home Depot behind the 40? :confused:

corsair23
08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Triple Shat for me :( - We are talking Sat the 25th and rolling into Sunday the 26th now correct? Or is it still Friday night the 24th rolling into Saturday as discussed during the meeting?

I have SOOOOOOO been looking forward to this but I have been duly informed that Saturday in my :Princess:'s Bday party. Trying to work out coming up late but last I heard the :Princess: is having a slumber party. We couldn't go to Ouray because it was the :Princess:'s Bday (official day) either.

Hmmm...Anywhere to park a popup camper up there and would you all mind 20 screaming 8yr olds running around? That might be a slumber party they don't soon forget :hill:

Red_Chili
08-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Yeah, we talked about either night really. The problem of getting up there with equipment and actually having time to punch holes on a work day made me decide to make it Saturday nite. Easier.

We're gonna punch three holes basically. It will be one of the first things we do, probably about 4-ish by the time we get set up, maybe a bit earlier. I can tow the post hole digger if need be, and Matt, if it is convenient those old school versions might come in handy depending. Losing UB hurts, I was all excited about his heavy equipment resources and skills! Ah, well, we'll gitterdun.

Hey Jeff, we certainly would not want to discourage 8-year-olds from observing Manus Fourwheelius in his natural habitat, caring for his surroundings! I am (pretty) sure they would zonk at 11,000 ft. before the camp stories get too out of hand.

Uncle Ben
08-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Me be thinking..... Would it be possible for me to get up there during the week and punch the holes? :confused:

Red_Chili
08-04-2007, 10:04 AM
Why, certainly!
John can give you dimensions. I bet Brian or Cat with the BRD can meet you to show you where it goes. The archaeologist wanted to be there in case we dug anything interesting up.

303-541-2500, you should be able to leave a message. Warning, they are not good at returning messages so you have to be persistent. You might also ask for the archaeologist directly.

treerootCO
08-05-2007, 02:12 AM
I will not be able to attend Bill. I need to resolve some personal issues...

timmbuck2
08-05-2007, 08:52 AM
I am a definite, positive maybe. Depending on how my tennis team does in the State Finals today, I might be in Utah playing the Nationals. :) Wish me luck, but I would love to be there to help if we don't make it.

T

subzali
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey UB, post up if you are going to be up there in the middle of the week and what time you're thinking, if there's anything I could be of help with I might be able to schlep away from work and come help out. Just don't want to leave you hanging sir.

corsair23
08-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey Jeff, we certainly would not want to discourage 8-year-olds from observing Manus Fourwheelius in his natural habitat, caring for his surroundings! I am (pretty) sure they would zonk at 11,000 ft. before the camp stories get too out of hand.

Worked hard on convincing the wife on this today but no luck :(

Between trying to convice all the parents that everything would be "ok" and the fact that many of them may have issues with being away from home for a night let alone being WAY away from home it just isn't going to fly...It looks like I am definitely out :rant:

Red_Chili
08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Got this from Brian Rasmussen, is anyone able to meet with him the Friday before 8/25? Could you contact him?
I fear this is in danger of falling apart at this point. The 8/25 date is about the only one that is open for most Rising Sun folks, and I am severely constrained in September due to teaching commitments.
25. For now contact her through me. What is your schedule?

I know that I still need to get plywood panels for mounting on the sheet
metal. I'll need exact measurements before I cut it. It can wait until
after the Kiosk is installed. What do you think?

bye,

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

timmbuck2
08-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Friday the 17th? Yeah, I could. Not sure what I would be doing, though, :)

Timm

subzali
08-08-2007, 01:27 PM
I think Friday the 24th. That's my day off work, so I could meet up with them, I don't think I have any other plans. I think we just need somebody there to make sure the location is good for everybody and the info gets relayed to those who will be there the 25th.

Red_Chili
08-08-2007, 02:00 PM
It was not immediately apparent to me which Friday Brian intended. I would hope the 24th, but a call to him would be in order on the part of anyone free during the week.

Sometimes these forest folk don't get the work day thing...

nuclearlemon
08-08-2007, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Uncle Ben;42460] What do I do now? QUOTE]

hhhhmmmm.....standing funeral or fun in the woods? ;)

Red_Chili
08-08-2007, 05:13 PM
email from Brian Rasmussen:

I'm going up with Karen this week 8/10 so that she will know where the
kiosk will be placed on 8/25. I've also notified Paul Alford, our
archeologist, that you will be doing it on 8/25. If you are going to dig
on the 24th, let us know soon. Do not dig without the Forest Service being
present.

Also, if you do have the time and energy to fix the damaged section of post
and cable go for it. The end posts will need the most attention.

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

corsair23
08-08-2007, 06:43 PM
So if UB wants to go up and dig some holes early he needs to get in touch with Karen and Paul Alford...Not sure if he is still planning on trying to get to it early but that could certainly complicate matters.

Shark Bait
08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Jeanette and I can be there. Can we haul anything in my 80? I could pull a small trailer if necessary. Let us know. :cool: We'll probably just go home when the work is done.

nuclearlemon
08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
i can haul stuff in the ford. also, i may still have access to the state trailer, i don't think the raffle vehicle will be anywhere than.

subzali
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Can't make it on the 10th, sorry :(

timmbuck2
08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I can make it on the 10th. Let me know when and where...

Red_Chili
08-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Just to clarify, 8/10 is only to know where to place the kiosk exactly. This will only be a matter of meeting Brian at the site, and first come, first serve, contact Brian!

Drilling the holes needs to happen with forest personnel present, which should be fairly easy to coordinate. Be sure to contact Brian Rasmussen directly if you can do this during the week (Uncle Ben)...

The event is still planned for the weekend of 8/25- as long as we either have holes drilled, or a means of so doing.

Just sayin'...

And THANK YOU ALL WHO ARE MOTIVATED TO VOLUNTEER! A FINE TIME WILL BE HAD BY ALL, which you already know! WooHoo!

We just need USFS approved holes, by golly we can fill 'em!

This is a great club, I'm excited to see how this will shake out! So many care, this will surely get done.:risingsun

Beater
08-09-2007, 07:51 AM
I have to work, but I would like some input on the site for the sign, because of it's modular design. Whoever goes needs to make sure that it is an area of NO pooling, or this thing won't last long... It will need to be as well drained as possible...

ALSO, did we line up a portable welder? I have no reason to by one since I don't wheel much anymore... at least not right now.

Give me a ring today if you can

Red_Chili
08-09-2007, 08:31 AM
No portable welder as yet, I missed that one. I thought it was a plug-n-play affair.

timmbuck2
08-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Well, I have no idea where to put the dang thing...so no executive decisions for me...

T

Red_Chili
08-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Did anyone get in touch with Brian R.?:confused:

I have a feeling we may have to bag this effort... and maybe for the year?:eek: That would make us look pretty bad to the OHV group in Boulder.. but I don't see many alternatives that *I* can make happen at least.

Too many key players are gonna miss this weekend, and Labor Day is the next weekend... and I am out for September and October. Which means (odd to consider on this 90 degree day) the snow will fly before we can gitter dun.:(

Not that I have to be there...

Shark Bait
08-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Jeanette and I are still planning on being there. If someone has a generator we could run a 110 welder, no? I'll be driving my 80 and could pull a trailer if need be.

timmbuck2
08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
I can still make the 25th, barring any toddler issues....

Tch2fly
08-14-2007, 07:50 AM
I am still planning to be there for the weekend of the 25/26th, packing concrete. :thumb:
If this must be resceduled I can make myself available on a weekend, or even during the week, in Sept if needed (but this coming weekend and Labor day are booked).

Red_Chili
08-14-2007, 07:59 AM
Well, looks like we have needed labor and maybe hauling... but did anyone meet with Brian Rasmussen or contact him (besides me emailing him that I would post it up)? We need to know where they want the kiosk! We can't install it without their approval.

MDH33
08-14-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm still planning on making it. Is there a way we can have the forest service meet up with our group on the day of the install to show us where it goes?

Red_Chili
08-14-2007, 10:06 AM
I have an email in to Brian. The archaeologist has to be there (in case we dig up something... like railroad spikes? :lmao:), so hopefully he will also be briefed on where it goes.

I've not heard from UB, so Plan B would be to rent an auger. Ige is looking into that, she may have a deal in the works.

Red_Chili
08-14-2007, 11:18 AM
I got an email from Brian below. Looks like the biggest open item for the project is the ability to punch holes in rocky soil! Ige is asking a friend about it, but if anyone has connections or options this issue is the last possible showstopper for putting in the kiosk. Also concrete needs to be purchased & picked up, it looks like transport of the concrete is covered. I am confident the club will reimburse you if you can pick up the concrete.
Bill,
I did not meet with anyone in your club up there. My co-worker Karen knows
where we want the kiosk. She wants to meet you (club) when you go up there
and show you where it goes. Paul Alford said he does not need to be there.
Is September [edit, Brian typo'd: AUGUST] 25th going to be the day?

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us
I confirmed the 25th to him. So it looks like the archaeologist doesn't need to be there, but Karen does (they cannot have us installing things like kiosks without supervision, makes sense).

Tch2fly
08-14-2007, 11:31 AM
Also concrete needs to be purchased & picked up, it looks like transport of the concrete is covered. I am confident the club will reimburse you if you can pick up the concrete.

Just to be clear... when I said I would take care of the concrete I planned to handle ALL aspects- purchase, pickup and transport to the site :thumb:

Red_Chili
08-14-2007, 11:53 AM
YOU ROCK, Mike! THANK YOU!
Concrete down, auger to go!

Thanks so much for the encouragement, all!

Ron Helmuth
08-14-2007, 04:38 PM
August 25th-a Saturday and not Tuesday -September 25th correct? (Brian's note a little confusing) just making sure

Beater
08-14-2007, 05:35 PM
we need to do more on the planning side for the installation, and I suggest an earlier arrival than 12n.

We need to iron out the logistics of the materials needed for the set up.

I think we need a meeting with 3-4 people who want to "lead" this

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 08:05 AM
We still have the following needs that are critical:
1) Auger. Martin is looking into that, as well as Ige.
2) Welder of some sort. My batteries won't take it I am sure.
3) Trailer to haul the kiosk up there. I have a durable trailer but with so much weight up high the thing will be a rollover hazard (no sway bar, articulation is NOT a good thing on a trailer).

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 08:31 AM
August 25th-a Saturday and not Tuesday -September 25th correct? (Brian's note a little confusing) just making sure
Check the first post- Yes, Saturday August 25th.

MDH33
08-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Check the first post- Yes, Saturday August 25th.

Bill, the quote you posted from Brian has him stating and you confirming September 25.

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks for that, sorry for the confusion. In my reply to Brian I copied/pasted the first post on our thread. I just re-reconfirmed in an email to him to make sure he did not miss it. I also left him a voice mail. In all his other communications in the same email he and I referred to 8/25, so it is undoubtedly a simple typo but I thank you for focusing my attention on that!
[EDIT: from Brian:]
Sorry, sorry, sorry
Yes I'm thinking August 25th (and typing September 25).

Brian D. Rasmussen
Recreation Technician
Boulder Ranger District
(303) 541-2525
bdrasmussen@fs.fed.us

I have this PM from Green Machine, cross posting here:
we need a trailer at least 8 feet long. mine flexes too much me thinks, and it's only on 12" wheels. I Can try it, but I think a real trailer would be better.

FYI, I would be missing my sons first two soccer games at his new starting position to attend.

I do think we need to start up earlier though, I feel that with the welding that needs to be done on site, we are to late in the day. I think at least 9am at the site will do.

For the installation I will need: 110v power source
torch or welder, 10 "green" fence posts, sledge, scrap angle (I have) post levels (I have one) a grinder with flap wheels.

I can bring the grinders, sledge and a level.

we need to transport with the material the 110v power and scrap angle with the materials... who has a generator we can borrow?
I have an oxy-acetylene rig I can bring, but 110v MIG would be preferable. I will see about starting earlier, but most likely folks will be getting equipment assembled and picking up things (for instance, renting an auger if that is the solution) so if you can make it earlier, good - if not till noon, that will work too, and we can get staged up at the site.

That is only a three hour move earlier so we can adjust if needed as things firm up.

John, THANK YOU for all your hard work on this, and especially here at the end where you are missing an important family event! Goodonya!

MDH33
08-15-2007, 10:47 AM
Heading up there early Saturday AM isn't a problem for me.

I talked to Home Despot in Lakewood and they have a couple two-man power augers that they rent for $70 day. I can't reserve it, as they are first come first serve, but the guy I spoke with said they've never both been rented out. Can we spend $140 to rent it Saturday-Sunday?

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 11:20 AM
I PM'd Hulk on this.
I also emailed John Ryther with Gilpin County to see if he might have equipment access. Long shot.

The time is officially moved up to 9AM at Rollinsville. We will meet Karen from the BRD at Rollinsville at that time. Good idea, John - not only to get a head start, but to possibly avoid PM thunderstorms.

timmbuck2
08-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Heading up there early Saturday AM isn't a problem for me.

I talked to Home Despot in Lakewood and they have a couple two-man power augers that they rent for $70 day. I can't reserve it, as they are first come first serve, but the guy I spoke with said they've never both been rented out. Can we spend $140 to rent it Saturday-Sunday?

Would it be possible for a non-camper (possibly myself) to bring the auger back Saturday night? Do we need it Sunday?

MDH33
08-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Would it be possible for a non-camper (possibly myself) to bring the auger back Saturday night? Do we need it Sunday?

That would work if it could be returned before they close.

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 01:56 PM
That would save the club $70 too... worth the effort, thanks Tim! IIRC Home Despot closes around 9 on Saturday, so doable.

Let's be sure to rent a spare auger and GET THE DAMAGE WAIVER, eh?!

Hulk
08-15-2007, 02:37 PM
I'm 99% certain that we approved funds for this at a past meeting. So let's make it so. Mary can write a check to reimburse the appropriate amount.

Shark Bait
08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
We like the 9AM start better, too, since we're not camping. Can we haul anything up and/or back?

Red_Chili
08-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Can you haul the kiosk? John posted what is needed above... that would be sweet.

timmbuck2
08-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Let's find the closest home depot or tool rental place to Jenny Creek...isn't there one at the Evergreen exit?? I still might bring the toddler to camp, have not talked to the boss about it yet.

That would save the club $70 too... worth the effort, thanks Tim! IIRC Home Despot closes around 9 on Saturday, so doable.

Let's be sure to rent a spare auger and GET THE DAMAGE WAIVER, eh?!

Shark Bait
08-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Can you haul the kiosk? John posted what is needed above... that would be sweet.

If there is an appropriate trailer for it, I would be willing. I don't have a trailer. I have several receiver hitches and my 80 has the four prong plug for lights.

Inukshuk
08-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Let's find the closest home depot or tool rental place to Jenny Creek...isn't there one at the Evergreen exit?? I still might bring the toddler to camp, have not talked to the boss about it yet.

There is also a hardware store in Nederland - maybe an ACE - that may rent tools like that.

Who else is camping? Any spots in mind? Dog friendly?

nakman
08-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Ok, I think I'm in.. but can't get up there until Saturday evening. So in for camping, the night run, plus whatever needs to get done on Sunday. There's cell service up past the lake if you keep driving up towards Needle's Eye, on ATT at least.. so someone call me if you need anything brought up last minute.

Red_Chili
08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
FYI, there is some good dispersed camping just ESE of Yankee Doodle Lake, and it is dog-friendly.

Sounds like Martin and Tim need to coordinate on where to rent the post hole digger. Make sure it is a hefty unit, a tow-behind at minimum. I do know Home Depot rents some of those and is good about auger selection and the damage waiver; I would recommend them.

Mike W. has the concrete handled. Mike, if you can take care of the purchase the club will reimburse you. 6-7 bags unless John corrects me. A few more is probably better, if we have a lot of slack time (not otherwise spoken for in camp shenanigans) we could also repair some of the posts that got pulled over.

We appear to have plenty of tow vehicles, but need a trailer to haul the kiosk and other items. This would be the most urgent need. I PM'd Treeroot but he has been needing some time off so I would not want to burden him.

Beater
08-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Mike W. has the concrete handled. Mike, if you can take care of the purchase the club will reimburse you. 6-7 bags unless John corrects me. A few more is probably better, if we have a lot of slack time (not otherwise spoken for in camp shenanigans) we could also repair some of the posts that got pulled over.

9 bags MINIMUM

We also need to get 8 temporay steel fence posts, the green ones, and a generator. We need to be able to power some grinders, unless someone has a bobcat or ranger 8 we can borrow and tow up?

mmmm lincoln ranger 8-se, stainles steel, butter like arc, be still my beating heart...

MDH33
08-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Home depot has two types of augers, neither is a tow-behind. The larger of the tow they have has a large gas powered engine and large diameter auger. It has four handles on it and is manned by two persons. I think it looked big enough for what we're doing, and we can always bring some manual post hole diggers and rock bars too. The Home Depot in Lakewood just off I-70 / 470 is a rental center, but the one in Evergreen isn't.

I'm no help for a trailer since I'm driving my 40 and it has no power for trailer lights.

Shark Bait
08-16-2007, 09:18 AM
We also need to get 8 temporay steel fence posts, the green ones,

If you're talking about the things you also use for tree stakes, I have a bunch of those and can bring them. They're not necessarily green.

Any one come up with a trailer yet to haul the kiosk?

nakman
08-16-2007, 09:27 AM
We can use my trailer. If someone wants to grab it from me next week that's fine, then I'll take it back on Sunday. I'll call my rental center today to see what they have auger-wise as well.

timmbuck2
08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I could grab your trailer next week someday at lunch...I know where it is. :)

T

Shark Bait
08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Talking to John, we need a sturdy trailer, like a car trailer, to haul the sections. John's trailer is small and low to the ground. Not beefy enough.

We need a generator. Can whoever is arranging for an auger also inquire about a generator? We need to be able to run a 110 welder. Otherwise, John will be torch welding. Ideally, according to John, we could use a portable welder like a Bobcat, or something. Inquire about that, too, and see how it compares to the cost of a generator.

Beater
08-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Talking to John, we need a sturdy trailer, like a car trailer, to haul the sections. John's trailer is small and low to the ground. Not beefy enough.

We need a generator. Can whoever is arranging for an auger also inquire about a generator? We need to be able to run a 110 welder. Otherwise, John will be torch welding. Ideally, according to John, we could use a portable welder like a Bobcat, or something. Inquire about that, too, and see how it compares to the cost of a generator.

correction - we will not be using a 110v off a generator. The current flow is not constant enough. It would be awesome if someone has a readywelder or vehicle ac welder. LEXUS BEN, would you loan us yours? I can replace your wire..

Red_Chili
08-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Home depot has two types of augers, neither is a tow-behind. The larger of the tow they have has a large gas powered engine and large diameter auger. It has four handles on it and is manned by two persons. I think it looked big enough for what we're doing, and we can always bring some manual post hole diggers and rock bars too. The Home Depot in Lakewood just off I-70 / 470 is a rental center, but the one in Evergreen isn't.

I'm no help for a trailer since I'm driving my 40 and it has no power for trailer lights.
The Home Depot at Federal and Belleview has a gas tow-behind that is rather burly. I think we want to stay away from the four handle lifter type. I will take care of the auger rental and return it, tow it up there and tow it back.

That leaves renting and hauling the generator as far as rental equipment goes.

nuclearlemon
08-16-2007, 11:30 AM
still haven't heard from april. i've left her a couple of messages.

i can haul stuff up in the ford.

Red_Chili
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
John, will a fullsize Ford be adequate? Better than a trailer I would think.

Inukshuk
08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
We also need to get 8 temporay steel fence posts, the green ones

I have one of the slide-hammers for driving the green fence posts. If I'll be arriving too late I am happy to hand it off to someone in Denver.

Shark Bait
08-17-2007, 01:48 AM
correction - we will not be using a 110v off a generator. The current flow is not constant enough. It would be awesome if someone has a readywelder or vehicle ac welder. LEXUS BEN, would you loan us yours? I can replace your wire..

OK, so the choice is either a portable, tow-behind a vehicle welder, or gas welder, if not a vehicle welder? John, how much of a PITA is it for you to bring your bottles?

Shark Bait
08-17-2007, 02:08 AM
I have one of the slide-hammers for driving the green fence posts. If I'll be arriving too late I am happy to hand it off to someone in Denver.

AKA a "Sex Machine". I may try and grab it from you next week.

I've got at least 8 of the green posts and will bring them Saturday morning.

Red_Chili
08-17-2007, 07:39 AM
Wes has my T-post driver as well. I will PM him.
[edit] I updated the first post with new info, including the need for a generator. Or.... John, you could just weld carefully and not need grinding... :lmao:

Beater
08-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Title says it all. Jenny Creek project is in jeopardy without this. I can make do with my blue flame, but would prefer to borrow a welder.

A tow behind ranger or bobcat would even be better.

A small 100 inverter welder would work as well, as long as we have a generator.

Come awn peeps, someone has this stuff...

Three Wheel Ben
08-18-2007, 10:08 AM
You can borrow my ready welder, you gotta bring the batteries though. When do you need it?

ben

Beater
08-18-2007, 10:51 AM
it needs to get to someone who is heading up by Friday night.

it takes 2# spools of .035 flux core right?

nuclearlemon
08-18-2007, 11:54 AM
i can go up friday. i will have the ford, what else do i need to haul?

Beater
08-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Ok - We Need A Generator!!!!!

Shark Bait
08-20-2007, 09:56 PM
John, Is someone hauling the kiosk itself? What are the dimensions of the pieces? Would they fit in a truck bed?

Three Wheel Ben
08-20-2007, 09:57 PM
it needs to get to someone who is heading up by Friday night.

it takes 2# spools of .035 flux core right?

Yes

I'm out of town until Thurs afternoon.

Red_Chili
08-20-2007, 10:04 PM
I believe John is hauling the kiosk himself, and will need help to load it Friday night at his place (??? I think), but will let John confirm this.

Shark Bait
08-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Showing my ignorance, we need the generator for the welder?

Red_Chili
08-21-2007, 07:43 AM
For a grinder, per John. Seems like high effort/low benefit but I am not sure what he has in mind in all fairness.

Uncle Ben
08-21-2007, 08:19 AM
For a grinder, per John. Seems like high effort/low benefit but I am not sure what he has in mind in all fairness.

You might be able to buy a 1000watt inverter cheaper than the rental fees! When done you'll still have the inverter which will easily run any cappacino maker or blender out there!

nakman
08-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Don't grinders run on compressed air? Geez there oughta be some of that available.. I vote the club pays someone back for a CO2 fill, like $15-$20 at Christo's shop, right?

subzali
08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
I'll probably be showing up late to the party, can't make it until mid-afternoon Saturday, but I will still try and bring what I can - auger-style posthole diggers etc.

Groucho
08-21-2007, 09:35 AM
I have a Dynabrade 7" pneumatic grinder and 50 grit sanding discs that I would be willing to lend to the project if I get it back sunday afternoon. Any interest?

Red_Chili
08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
I have a pneumatic grinder too, so with John's approval we can go with that.
I have a CO2 bottle or two I can bring for the effort.

Easy button. It's all about easy.

Red_Chili
08-21-2007, 09:55 AM
I'll probably be showing up late to the party, can't make it until mid-afternoon Saturday, but I will still try and bring what I can - auger-style posthole diggers etc.

No problem!

nuclearlemon
08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
i will be picking bens welder up thurs night and getting kiosk from john friday night (anyone who cares to help load it, it is bulky and we'd appreciate the help). i will be going up early sat am.

Beater
08-21-2007, 12:32 PM
ok - so... WE STILL NEED A GENERATOR IF POSSIBLE. we will kill 2 co2 bottles doing this with a die grinder. I have all the consumables for finish work(I use them for my art work), however I don't have cut off wheels or grinding wheels for die grinders. I would really prefer to bring a 110v generator, or a 2500w inverter if it exists.

Ige and I are loading up friday night in her truck. I will be bringing my 80 with a rear batt for the ready welder. Will need to have another yellow top if we use my batt.

I would like everyone to post up with what they are doing in this thread, like a check in.

I am bringing sledge, grinders, consumables, welding gear, shovel, 5gal water (potable), post level, long level, string level.

Red_Chili
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Auger, post driver. I can bring two CO2 bottles if that is the only option. Somewhere I have a 1200W inverter never yet used, but that appears to not be big enough.

Tch2fly
08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I will purchase and bring the concrete (9 bags as the minimum).

I will go up early Sat AM and can work until we finish. At this point I plan to head home at the end of the day.

(If there will be wheeling the next day please post up plans... I would like to run Jenny Creek on Sunday with my son since he has to work Sat)

MDH33
08-21-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm bringing a 55 gal. drum of water. I will be up as early as I can Saturday (probably not before 10am as I have some stuff to do for the wifey Saturday early) and staying until things are finished Sunday. I can bring some shovels, rock bars and sledges too.

Shark Bait
08-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Jeanette and I will be bringing the 8 green posts for stabilizing the kiosk up on Saturday morning. Do we need to be able to drive those in before Daniel gets there Saturday afternoon with the "Sex Machine". If so I can swing by and pick it up from him.

Beater
08-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Jeanette and I will be bringing the 8 green posts for stabilizing the kiosk up on Saturday morning. Do we need to be able to drive those in before Daniel gets there Saturday afternoon with the "Sex Machine". If so I can swing by and pick it up from him.

might be a good idea.

Beater
08-21-2007, 02:14 PM
I have a Dynabrade 7" pneumatic grinder and 50 grit sanding discs that I would be willing to lend to the project if I get it back sunday afternoon. Any interest?

do you have a grinding wheel or cut off for that? Does it have a 5/8ths arbor?

timmbuck2
08-21-2007, 05:06 PM
I will be there...probably early Saturday...still deciding on camping and how long to stay with the boy. I can bring or tow anything else we need...will just bring myself and tools for now...

T

Groucho
08-21-2007, 07:35 PM
do you have a grinding wheel or cut off for that? Does it have a 5/8ths arbor?

I have all of the crappy grinding wheels that came with my 2 dewalt 7" grinders & you can have em. We usually use 50 and 36 grit 3M paper to shape welds. With enough CFM they do really good, less air and they tend to bog down when in heavy use. Flexible backing plate to allow for a better shaping result. 5/8" sounds right. no cutoff wheels, we use smaller cutoffs at work.

LMK so I can get em to whomever.

Inukshuk
08-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait

might be a good idea.

Is this like taking my Mojo? Anyway the "tool" is available anytime.

Romer
08-22-2007, 06:14 PM
I have a generator, but currently am not planning on being at Jenny Creek. I may go up for the dsay Saturday, depends on what else is going on here.

You can borrow my generator, someone will have to come get it though.

timmbuck2
08-22-2007, 06:17 PM
I can come pick it up...when will it be needed over the weekend?

T

Shark Bait
08-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I volunteered in the other thread, but if you can bring the generator, Tim, that's cool. I'm bringing the temporary posts and the post driving tool.

subzali
08-23-2007, 07:03 AM
I'm bummed :( I don't think I'll be able to make it. I just came to the realization that since I will be gone all next week on a business trip (yeah it's my first one :o) I don't have enough time to get all of this and other stuff I need to get done in before I leave, so unless I get an amazing amount of stuff done Friday then you'll have to count me out. I'm sorry I committed to this and now I'm backing out, I don't normally do that...

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Oh, sure, we let him in the club and now look.

:lmao:

Hey, Matt, just show up for Saturday!

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Be sure to review the task summary on the first post
http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=4445
and let me know if I have anything wrong or am missing anything.

MDH33
08-23-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm bummed :( I don't think I'll be able to make it. I just came to the realization that since I will be gone all next week on a business trip (yeah it's my first one :o) I don't have enough time to get all of this and other stuff I need to get done in before I leave, so unless I get an amazing amount of stuff done Friday then you'll have to count me out. I'm sorry I committed to this and now I'm backing out, I don't normally do that...

Bummer, we're going to be short-handed as it is. :(

Hopefully some others will step up.

60wag
08-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Hey, I've got a business trip next week, a Sunday bbq with the inlaws and I'll going to make Jenny Creek :)

Romer
08-23-2007, 11:44 AM
I'll bring the generator up Saturday morning. I'll try and be there by noon, does that present a problem?

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
I'll see if I can make it into one... :lmao:

THANKS, Ken! So... do I need to bring the special carrot?

Romer
08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
I'll see if I can make it into one... :lmao:

THANKS, Ken! So... do I need to bring the special carrot?

what do you want me to change my mind?

If I decide to camp there, is there still room for my camper where others parked theirs last year?

Red_Chili
08-23-2007, 12:18 PM
I do believe we can MAKE room for the Kenster.

Ken-worth camper? Yeah, that works. We'll see if we can scare anyone off who may be camping down in the trees Friday night.

Beater
08-23-2007, 02:19 PM
ken - do we need to bring fuel for the generator? Unleaded? will 5 gal be enough?

Inukshuk
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
Can someone summarize camping plans and where late arrivals should go? Also, what are Sunday plans?

Thanks!

Romer
08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I am planning on pulling my camper up to the general area where Tim put his camper up last year.

The trail up above the D ring tow point we put in.

MDH33
08-23-2007, 09:28 PM
Can someone summarize camping plans and where late arrivals should go? Also, what are Sunday plans?

Thanks!

I'm just going to find a good site somewhere along the trail for camping and then wander up to wherever the group is congregating for evening festivities. Sunday we were going to finish up the kiosk and then do some wheeling on Jenny Creek. :)

Uncle Ben
08-23-2007, 11:47 PM
Nite nite Jenny Creek folks! I am still very bummed I'm not going but I will feel better this time tomorrow as I surf on this laptop next to the surf outside our hotel sucking on whatever beverages I can get them to bring me! Don't worry....I'll be all right! :rolleyes: :p: :cheers:

GET-R-DONE and make Bill proud! :bowdown: :bill:

Beater
08-24-2007, 07:59 AM
is the place dog friendly? meaning how's the traffic these days around the lake, is a dog off leash (when the ranger isn't around) a problem?

skyler as many of you know is quite high energy, and he hasn't had any exercise in a while...

I will be bringing the blender, but my air solution is down right now, and my co2/nitro tank is empty.

Red_Chili
08-24-2007, 02:54 PM
The lake tends to be busy... I dunno, Skyler might be a handful. Lots of traffic.

Red_Chili
08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Nite nite Jenny Creek folks! I am still very bummed I'm not going but I will feel better this time tomorrow as I surf on this laptop next to the surf outside our hotel sucking on whatever beverages I can get them to bring me! Don't worry....I'll be all right! :rolleyes: :p: :cheers:

GET-R-DONE and make Bill proud! :bowdown: :bill:
Aw, heck... I'm already proud. And tired! And I haven't done any of the physical work! Guess that points to what really wears a fella out.

You enjoy that time off there bucko, and thanks for the kind words.

Red_Chili
08-24-2007, 03:00 PM

Thanks!
Late arrivals should go to Yankee Doodle Lake, where the work will be happening. I plan on camping not far from the lake, below Boulder Wagon Road, just south of the new *^$%& gate they put up to convincingly close it.

In the trees' shelter this time. As opposed to last year!

As always, this area tends to be busy and experience high traffic, so plans subject to some minor adjustment depending, but that is the general plan.

There was some talk of a night run on Jenny Creek. That would be worthwhile!

Sunday will involve some sleep after the prior day's success and late night camp antics no doubt. But we will finish the kiosk, and I imagine many will go down Jenny Creek on the way out. I have to take the road, as I will be towing an auger.:( I expect we shan't be that late to leave.

Shark Bait
08-24-2007, 06:11 PM
I have the driver from Daniel and will bring the stakes.

BTW, Bill, your list in the first post should say "Romer will bring Romer's generator". :D

Romer
08-24-2007, 06:18 PM
No Chris you come by and get it and I'll meet yoy there :D

Almost called you to bail. Now that the weather is cooler had windows down and heard horrible squeaking from front axle. Swapped the brake pads out and problem went away. Almost tore into the axle to swap rotors and the rest as well. Still have FPIG were the bolt broke off on my front diff where it was leaking. FPIG is still holding so leave it lie for now.

Shark Bait
08-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Let me know if you need to. We could always come by on the way out of town. :rolleyes:

Tch2fly
08-24-2007, 09:59 PM
12- 50lb bags of quick set cement loaded and ready for departure :D

I've never been up to Yankee Doodle or Jenny creek so I hope I don't get lost and end up getting there after all the hard work is done ;)

Shark Bait
08-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Any of the rest of you running 2M radio? We'll have to find a repeater to use. :D

MDH33
08-24-2007, 10:08 PM
If one gallon of water weighs 8.34 Lbs, and I'm hauling 55 gallons = 458.7Lbs of water in the back of my 40. This should be interesting. :rolleyes:

See you all Tomorrow/Saturday. :thumb:

I'll be on CB4 if I get lost on the way up there.

nakman
08-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I can't make it up during the day tomorrow.. but still hope to make it up in the evening. I'll try to catch anyone on .310 to see if any supplies are needed, otherwise I'll see y'all in the evening some time. Give me a call if you run out of something, I probably won't leave the house until 5.

nuclearlemon
08-24-2007, 11:13 PM
kiosk is loaded up, as is ben's welder. i'll load last minute stuff tomorrow. because i will have to travel up the road slow, i probably won't stop at rollinsville, i'll just head straight up.

btw, sounds like channel 9 is a possible attendee. john was talking to the reporter that rode with him when he did that feat day, so we'll see if we can't get some good publicity going.

Romer
08-24-2007, 11:18 PM
Generator is on the camper.

What freq you want to use Chris?

I will probably just head straight up so I can park the camper. I assume we will be in the same area we were last time so the same general camping would work?

I'll check in the am before I head out.

Beater
08-24-2007, 11:51 PM
well -
I spoke with the folks at 9news, y'all might get to be celebs... try not to go nicole ritchie on us bill...

Oh, and they asked if we could possibly wheel our trucks for them for some footage to go with the installation, and shots of the repairs we have already done..

OH - AND OFFICIALLY BE ON CHANNEL 4!!!!!!

for us lame non rf/hf guys...

Shark Bait
08-25-2007, 07:13 AM
What freq you want to use Chris?

145.310 then?

Shark Bait
08-25-2007, 07:15 AM
try not to go nicole ritchie on us bill...

:eek: Nicole Ritchie is pregnant. :rolleyes: :lmao:

Red_Chili
08-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Eeeek.
Auger procured, truck loaded, meet at Rollinsville. Pretty hard (not impossible) to get lost. :lmao: