PDA

View Full Version : rear Infinity speaker help

nakman
08-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Did you guys have to cut up that plastic ring thing that surrounds the stock speakers, to get the new Infinity to fit? Also the sheet metal hole in the door is too small.. did you also have to widen that hole? I thought this was going to be plug n play..

4022i is the model number, right?

corsair23
08-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Tim,

I saw a write up on this somewhere...Here or on MUD. IIRC Romer said they had to cut the plastic support pieces (4 I think) out of the rear speaker covers to get them to fit over the speakers. But, I don't recall any mention of the hole being too small for the speaker to fit into :confused:

Another FZJ80 vs LX450 difference?

EDIT: Found the install write up from Ken...And it appears he did have to do quite a bit of modification to get the rears to fit :doh: - My memory must be fading fast :(

http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=166851&highlight=infinity

nakman
08-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks, Jeff. yeah I called Ken and he told me to search mud :doh: but thanks for the link. Holy cow I didn't expect it would be that much work... oh well it'll be worth it in the long run. :)

Shark Bait
08-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Tim, I thought you put in the Pioneer's? Did you not like them?

Colorado80
08-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Tim you have to shave the trim ring on the inside and then trim the door about 1/32" and it'll fit. It's just a hair too big. If you need help putting them in just let me know and I will be more than happy to come by and help out. You can bring the truck to my place also and I can take care of it for you.

Q

nakman
08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
I did Pioneers up front, still like them. Doing Infinities in back though since I got in on the Q deal.. and thanks man but I'll get it, just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction before I was to the point of no return.. :weld:

Shark Bait
08-07-2007, 10:13 AM
I did Pioneers up front, still like them. Doing Infinities in back though since I got in on the Q deal.. and thanks man but I'll get it, just wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction before I was to the point of no return.. :weld:

Let me know how that sounds. I could go that way, too.

nakman
08-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Not going well... see the mud post for the full story. :(

edit: and yeah ok Q I need help man.. not this week and not this weekend, but maybe next week some time? Your place or mine, you pick the :beer:

In a nutshell, the stock grill won't fit, and there's a gap behind it when using the Infinity grill. Yeah I know it's on crooked too..

Inukshuk
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Tim - lets talk and compare notes. I put these in on Sunday. I believe you see my posts on ih8mud too, pasted here for convenience:

I have an idea of how to carve away at the stock bracket to seat the speaker deeper and hence use the stock grille. First need to determine how much clearance between the window glass and the magnet there is....

Tim - I'm in for a pair of your nifty spacers. Yesterday I was at Home Depot and meant to check some black PVC but forgot. My situation is eactly as yours.

Ken -I do not think removing the door panel was the issue for me at all. If I had taken a dremel to the speaker metal tabs I probably could have shaved a little here and there and made it work. Now I just hope its not a big deal if I go back to Infinity grills. I do not think it will be.

Sound quality: I can really crank it and get no distortion. Highs do sound cleaner. I also have the crossover set to keep the real lows away from my doors and let the subwoofer handle it. Still need to play a little.

Shark Bait
08-08-2007, 11:25 PM
OK. New, dumb question. Where do you get the connectors for these speakers? One looks like a full-size spade lug, but I'm not so sure. The other lug is pretty small. I was going to put these in the wife's '85 PU tonight, bit the stock connectors don't match. Any help would be appreciated.

Colorado80
08-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Shark Bait, just strip the ends. Make sure the brown wire is to the positive side and black to negative on ALL speakers. After stripping the ends (1/8") put them through the hole and use a soldering iron and solder the wire onto the terminals.

Nakman, don't worry about it. Whenever you want to take care of it let me know. I 'll pm you my phone number, we'll get together and take care of this.

(hijack) I just got done building a custom enclosure for "sno bored", check out the pics in tech(end hijack)

Shark Bait
08-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Shark Bait, just strip the ends. Make sure the brown wire is to the positive side and black to negative on ALL speakers. After stripping the ends (1/8") put them through the hole and use a soldering iron and solder the wire onto the terminals.

Hmmm. All the wires are green and something. I'll have to get a wiring diagram and figure it out. Don't they make push on connectors I could crimp on the wire ends? :o

corsair23
08-09-2007, 12:57 AM
Hmmm. All the wires are green and something. I'll have to get a wiring diagram and figure it out. Don't they make push on connectors I could crimp on the wire ends? :o

If you don't want to go the solder route, and if I'm understanding the question, then yeah, Checker, NAPA, Walmart, Radio Shack etc. should have female connectors that you can crimp onto the wires.

It's been a long time since I've wired up speakers but the male ends are typically on the speakers correct? If so, you should be able to take the speaker with you and find female ends to fit. You'll probably end up having to buy packages of them or look for a "kit" that has assorted sizes and styles that you could probably use other parts from.

Shark Bait
08-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks Jeff. I'll still have to figure out which one's + and which one's -. :D

corsair23
08-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks Jeff. I'll still have to figure out which one's + and which one's -. :D

Just put the connectors onto the speaker, slide the wires in but don't crimp the connector down, and if you get good sound you guessed right. If not, then try the wires the other way :hill:

IIRC you're not going to blow anything...You'll just get good sound or you won't :thumb:

nakman
08-09-2007, 08:52 AM
Can you look at the speaker you're replacing to see which color is + and which is -? On mine, the blue wire is positive... so I just clipped the wires 1" from the stock speaker, stripped them, then soldered to the new speaker.

We'll get this figured out.. Daniel you want spacers for the fronts or rears?

Inukshuk
08-09-2007, 10:29 AM
Chris - like Tim said, on the stock speaker there is a (+) and (-) on the white bit of circuit board where the wires attach. I just wired up the new ones the same way.

Tim - I would use a rear spacer, but I also think its worth trying to seat the Infinty deeper in the stock bracket and use the stock cover. One reason is to make it less attractive to potential thieves. It would be idea if we could get our hands on a few extra brackets to play wih.....

corsair23
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Can you look at the speaker you're replacing to see which color is + and which is -?

Well SURE you could do it the proper way :rolleyes: :lmao:

Colorado80
08-09-2007, 12:23 PM
As far as the speaker wiring I know a lot of people have some problems with them. All you have to be carefull of making sure that all the speakers in the vehicle are on the same page.

Meaning, if you use the negative wire as the positive, make sure it is consistent throught all the speakers. You can do this when you pull all the panels and see which wire colors are there. There should be one universal color (black) which should be your negative. The others (blue, brown, white + red stripe, etc) are all positive.

All in all, even if your speakers are reversed (all of them) you will never know. Because when the produce sound they are doing it from a range of 100hz to 12000khz missing one step of that wouldn't matter.

nakman
08-09-2007, 12:57 PM
If we could get an extra stock spacer then I could have some time to tinker with it, could design a replacement that does everything we need it to. Just need to see how much further inside the door we can put this thing. Might take me a while to figure out the connectors for the grill clips, and their spacing, etc., but I could get it after the 3rd or 4th try.

As for just a spacer to use in the interim, that's easy.. Here..

corsair23
08-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Sweet :thumb:

If needed I could pull one of my rear speakers for you for awhile to test with. Problem is it would be from the LX and it seems that we are finding more and more subtle differences between the FZJ80 and LX all the time.

I was going to look tonight as the rear speaker covers between my LX and the :Princess:'s FZJ80, and maybe snap a pic showing the differences.

My plan had been to swap the LX speakers into the FZJ80 when I install my Infinities but now I'm not so sure that is going to work as planned :rolleyes:

Inukshuk
08-09-2007, 05:23 PM
:bowdown: Tim,
Can you 3d scan the existing bracket and then make it shallower, without the grille clip tabs and instead with tabs for the four speaker mounting points? :)

... and Titanium! :cheers:

nakman
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set. So my install is complete until I can get my hands on an LX grill, am hopeful they will work and it sounds like they will.

I don't have access to a 3D scanner. I'd like to get one, but the demand just hasn't been there to justify purchasing one. Maybe if we bought one and advertised it the business would come? I dunno.. but at this point I haven't been able to justify buying one. So I'd have to just measure away and draw one up from scratch if we needed to do replacement adapters.

We gotta get Martin to run the Ti though, we're not printing in metal yet... we've talked about getting a metal machine too and the Arcam like Martin has is the best one out there, but that would make 3 total in Colorado, which seems kind of excessive. Who knows maybe in a few more years demand will be up, problem is that machine is dang expensive to run so I definitely couldn't give junk away like I can do with the nylon sometimes.

I put more pictures up in the mud thread just to close the story there, but here are a couple of them...

Hulk
08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Spacers look really great, Tim. Can I get a pair of them? I will provide :beer: :)

corsair23
08-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set. So my install is complete until I can get my hands on an LX grill, am hopeful they will work and it sounds like they will.

Spacers look nice Tim :thumb:

You need to borrow an LX grill for measurements? If so front or rear and when do you need it? If your looking for one to have I'll keep my eye out for you.

Inukshuk
08-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I got my spacers made up, they work just fine.. yes I'll run you a set.

Very slick. Definitely easier than getting the stock grill to work. A little black spray paint will hide the shiny stuff on the infinity grill and attract less attention.

nakman
08-15-2007, 10:37 PM
My biggest problem so far with the Infinity grills is they're right at Gavin's eye level. So he walks up and immediately starts poking in the little foam thing in the middle.. it's kind of cute actually, but still..

yeah Jeff next time we're both around let's check out your LX grills. I've got my 80 grills riding along for a comparison, but if LX's fit that's clearly the best solution.

corsair23
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Tim,

Posted this up in the MUD thread as well...

As promised, here are some pics of the grill off a '97 LX450 rear speaker and a '97 FZJ80 (AE for what it is worth) rear speaker.

The LX grill is on the left and the FZJ80 grill is on the right. As you can see there is a difference. About 3/8" difference in height to be exact. Diameter of each is almost identical (just a hair under 6") with the LX cover being about 1/8" to 3/16" wider.

Cosmetically the FZJ80 grill is 100% plastic while the LX grill is plastic but with an actual metal mesh cover.

For what it is worth, in looking at the front grills they look to be nearly identical -both fairly flat. The LX might have metal mesh on the fronts as well, didn't look that close...

:cheers:

Inukshuk
08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Yes - where do we source use LX grilles. Gray.