PDA

View Full Version : coolant disposal?

CardinalFJ60
08-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Where/how do you dispose of old coolant? I don't think I can dump it at Checker with my oil...

nakman
08-07-2007, 01:37 PM
down the toilet, seriously..

Uncle Ben
08-07-2007, 01:40 PM
down the toilet, seriously..

Here we go again...... A reminder that toxic waste does not belong in our lakes and streams, seriously..

nakman
08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
remember this thread? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2590 here are all the answers..

Red_Chili
08-07-2007, 02:00 PM
remember this thread? http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/forum2/showthread.php?t=2590 here are all the answers..
One of which seems to be, don't pour it down the toilet. At least check with the treatment plant of your area first. It is worth asking the question and taking the responsible path?

My answer to Seldom Seen made a lot more sense before he changed his sig...

So... I am left of Nakman? What dreams may come??!?:thumb:

nuclearlemon
08-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Here we go again...... A reminder that toxic waste does not belong in our lakes and streams, seriously..

toilet water goes to water treatment plant, no lakes and streams. same with kitchen sink unless your house is not plumbed to code.

Colorado80
08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
To be honest, I have no idea where it goes and what the city says. So I just take it to the autozone on quincy and reservoir and they take the antifreeze free of charge off my hands. Stevinson on Havana also takes it free of charge. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Uncle Ben
08-07-2007, 02:54 PM
toilet water goes to water treatment plant, no lakes and streams. same with kitchen sink unless your house is not plumbed to code.

I have a class C waste water license because I operate a small treatment facility. If I had Ethylene Glycol present in a water sample they would shut me down. If I caught a tenant dumping ANY toxic waste into my system I would have to turn them in immediately to EPA! IT IS NOT OK! GET CAUGHT AND YOU WILL GET SUMMONED TO COURT! It is not hard to trace back to the source....just follow the rainbows! Rule of thumb....you make people sick you get a fine....you make fish sick you go to jail!

You dump gas in your fuel tank too and it is processed by the engine and reprocessed through the Cat converter...must be safe then to be in your garage with the doors closed and the engine running!?! :rant:

CardinalFJ60
08-07-2007, 03:14 PM
I had one of "the dirtiest jobs" in a former life. I was lucky enough to put on an air-pack and descend into the sewers. (very yucky stuff).

From my experience...not ok for the settling tanks, the 'bugs' don't like it.

thanks for that preivous post...so, UB....is it OK to call Bldr toyota for drop-off? I don't want to sound like "that guy who asked about dropping off the hazardous waste" ;) I have the coolant from the 40 and will soon have it from the 60.

corsair23
08-07-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm wondering still myself...Guess I'll just have to call Burt Toyota and ask them as no one else in the area seems to want the stuff...I haven't had good luck with Burt though...Last time they asked to see my Rising Sun membership card :confused:

You can go here --> http://earth911.org/ and see what is around you as far as recycling places go. Down south basically some places recycle oil and that is it.

Romer
08-07-2007, 03:55 PM
So which is more toxic, Toyota Red or Prestone Green:D

Note to self: do not try UB's suggestion to run the car in the garage with the doors closed:eek:

Just trying to lighten it up a bit. Thanks Kevin for your comments. I always thought it was OK to flush it donw the toilet. Now I have a new perspective.

Shark Bait
08-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Here is the Tri-County Health Department (http://www.tchd.org/householdchemical.htm) page for Household Chemical Roundup schedules. :p:

nakman
08-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Here is the Tri-County Health Department (http://www.tchd.org/householdchemical.htm) page for Household Chemical Roundup schedules. :p:

from http://www.tchd.org/pdfs/auto_waste_fact_sheet.pdf

"...small amounts of antifreeze may be poured down the drain IF the drain flows into a municipal sewer system... "

so again it's ok to do it, but per the majority here better not to.

Hulk
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Back when I was growing up in the hills of Missouri, we'd just sprinkle it out on the giant heap of slash in the back.

CardinalFJ60
08-07-2007, 06:08 PM
When I worked for "Gravity Systems" HAH!! we all know what THAT means, right? (...most sewer systems are gravity fed into the treatment plant with several pumping stations about town)

any-hoo...part of what I did was test effluent at strategic points in the sewer lines to be sure there wasn't any ilicit dumping of "whatever", we had a Coca-cola bottling plant and we needed to be sure nothing 'weird' was dumped. In large volumes stuff that kills the bugs makes for a bad situation, "hey dude, do you smell that, too??" In small doses, coolant wouldn't really harm alot. In my small town of 30k, I think we dealt with thousands of gallons an hour - one car's worth of coolant is immaterial.

I'd still recommend against it...When I had hair, it was in a pony-tail (ex-boulder-ite here... and I waved my freak flag high!) :thumb:

Chris
08-07-2007, 06:48 PM
When I had hair, it was in a pony-tail (ex-boulder-ite here... and I waved my freak flag high!) :thumb:

This comment demands pics :smokin:

Romer
08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
I am still waiting to see if the Red or Green is more toxic????

Hulk
08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Try a teaspoon of each and get back to us.

Uncle Ben
08-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I am still waiting to see if the Red or Green is more toxic????

Red is organic so it will probably kill faster! :eek: :rolleyes:

Uncle Ben
08-07-2007, 08:52 PM
Try a teaspoon of each and get back to us.

Better yet since it dilutes so well it would be ok if you mixed that teaspoon into a gallon of water then drank it!

nakman
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
Better yet since it dilutes so well it would be ok if you mixed that teaspoon into a gallon of water then drank it!

Actually pretty good with spiced rum. :drink:

Rezarf
08-07-2007, 10:51 PM
I feed a little to each of the dogs in my neighborhood that yelp at 6am every saturday morning...

...BAD DOG!

kidding, but the thought has crossed my mind ;)

Chris
08-07-2007, 11:10 PM
I know you're kidding Drew. It is an efficient killer of dogs as my kids and grandkids discovered when both their dogs died from ingesting antifreeze a neighbor must have put outside his garage. 110 lb Great Dane mix and a 80 lb Lab mix were taken out quite effectively.

Yeah, dispose of it properly and keep your dogs from wandering the neighborhood.

Romer
08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Here is a tidbit that was on my company website

Aurora residents drop off your household chemical for FREE! Bring proof of residency (drivers license, Colorado ID card, utility bill or voter registration). Not an Aurora Resident? Volunteer for the event and you can drop off your household hazardous wastes. Visit the Aurora Water website to download a volunteer form. http://www.auroragov.org/AuroraGov/Departments/AuroraWater/index.htm

Accepted Items: Common household products, paint, paint products, used motor oil, antifreeze, lawn and garden chemicals, household cleaners, mercury, vehicle batteries (Used Tire Fee: $3 per tire).

Red_Chili
08-08-2007, 09:30 AM
I know you're kidding Drew. It is an efficient killer of dogs as my kids and grandkids discovered when both their dogs died from ingesting antifreeze a neighbor must have put outside his garage. 110 lb Great Dane mix and a 80 lb Lab mix were taken out quite effectively.

Yeah, dispose of it properly and keep your dogs from wandering the neighborhood.
And it is a horrible, painful death... :(