PDA

View Full Version : Pesky Rear Diff Bolt

Shark Bait
08-08-2007, 10:22 PM
So, the bolt in the rear diff of my project 40 wouldn't come out with the 24mm socket OR a pair of vice grips. What do I try next, a hammer & chisel? I can't find my PB Blaster (the wife prolly stole it :rolleyes:). I really don't want to take the cover off, but..... :eek:

nakman
08-08-2007, 10:24 PM
The filler or the drain?

edit: on the filler I've had the best luck with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Put the bar on pointed down a little, but sorta parallel with the axle. Then use a small jack to lift the end of the breaker bar while all your weight is pushing on the end of the socket, keeping it on tight. Usually just before a tire lifts off the ground that sucker will pop free...

Rezarf
08-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Heat always seems to help on stubborn bolts Chris, can you heat it up with a torch or propane burner?

subzali
08-08-2007, 10:40 PM
If you've stripped the bolt then you can do the "weld a new one on" trick. Other than that I'd try the above suggestions, and get some PB Blaster next time you're out and about :D

mhdsummers
08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
The filler or the drain?

edit: on the filler I've had the best luck with a 6 point socket and breaker bar. Put the bar on pointed down a little, but sorta parallel with the axle. Then use a small jack to lift the end of the breaker bar while all your weight is pushing on the end of the socket, keeping it on tight. Usually just before a tire lifts off the ground that sucker will pop free...

Good tip. This will probably save my filler plug from getting stripped. Thanks! :thumb:

Shark Bait
08-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Vise grips rounded mine up nicely. I'll try some heat. I'll get it eventually. :eek:

nuclearlemon
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
pound a slightly smaller socket on and hit it with a hand impact

Rezarf
08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Sometimes cutting a slot into it and using a 90 degree big ol' screwdriver can get it too. But tacking a nut onto it usually heats it enough and gives you something to grab onto works great.