PDA

View Full Version : New guy in Denver...

ZappBranigan
08-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi, folks. I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I was at the 8/1 meeting, sitting up near the front. Unfortunately, I had to leave immediately afterwards so I didn't get to socialize.

Anyway, my name is Martin, but I see you already have a member by that name so I'll be using the handle of Zapp Branigan, which is also my user name on the Colorado4x4.org message boards. I drive a 2004 Tacoma X-cab with the 3.4l and 5 speed. As my sig says, it's not a TRD, sadly, so it's got open diffs.

I've owned a number of 4wd vehicles since 1979. Most recently I had a Mitsubishi Montero from 1992 until 1999. From 99 to 06 I didn't own a true 4x4 (Subaru's don't count!) so I'm sort of getting back into the 4-wheeling thing after a long absence. In reality, I've never been a real "hardcore" off roader, and I'm looking to increase my skills and my confidence by joining a group that has lots of experience, which it certainly looks like you guys have.

I'll be at the rally on Saturday in my Tacoma (white with a green shell and National Guard license plates.) Hope to see you there!

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-09-2007, 09:33 PM
10 views and not a one welcome :confused:

WELCOME TO DENVER!

come by the soild rock camper at the ralley and say hey!

jim

74fj40
08-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Ditto - we'll see you at the rally!
10 views and not a one welcome :confused:

WELCOME TO DENVER!

jim

nakman
08-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Welcome! :thumb:

and I personally think it's cool to use the same user name on every forum.. names are tough enough as it is! Will look for you at the rally.

Hulk
08-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Welcome to Colorado, and to the Rising Sun ghang. I'll look for you at the Rally. I'll have the "hulk-green" FJ40.

Rezarf
08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome man! Hope to see and meet you Saturday!

Smurf blue 40 at the rally.

Drew

farnhamstj
08-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Welcome to the area. Tacoma's are great trucks.

ZappBranigan
08-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Sorry, I meant to say I'm new to the forum and club. :o I've lived in the Denver area since 1972.

SROR/AKA 2BAD
08-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Sorry, I meant to say I'm new to the forum and club. :o I've lived in the Denver area since 1972.

cool, welcome anyway :thumb:

subzali
08-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Welcome! I was one of the ones who got in late, so I didn't meet any new guys - we'll see you on the trail! Are you planning on coming on any of the ones that are planned for the next few weeks?

IanB
08-10-2007, 05:47 AM

jim

You will have :beer: ??? :confused:

Welcoem Zapp!

JadeRunner
08-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Welcome. Glad to see another "V6" join. It will be time for sliders, lift and 33's soon eh?

gr8fulabe
08-10-2007, 08:55 AM
"Leela... its real velour..."

"that Kiff, is why you'll never make captain!"

Big Z is one of my favorites!!!

Welcom to the board.

Best,
Abe

ZappBranigan
08-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Welcome! I was one of the ones who got in late, so I didn't meet any new guys - we'll see you on the trail! Are you planning on coming on any of the ones that are planned for the next few weeks?

I'd like to, not sure if I can get the time away from other commitments.

The Triple Bypass sounds interesting but I'm a little worried about whether my rig could make it and/or whether I might slow the group down too much. I've been reading through the trail descriptions over on Traildamage.com, and while Pearl Pass and Italian Creek are probably well within my limits, the description does say that Taylor Pass might be difficult with a stock vehicle, I guess due to some big rock fields.

Having said that, the GF and I went up Chihuahua Gulch a few weeks ago without any serious problems, and Trail Damage rates Chihuahua Gulch as a 4 just like Taylor Pass. The big difference, of course, is that Chihuahua is only about 2 miles long, total.

Right now everything on my truck is stock, and the tires are the factory 265/70R 16s (31.7") that came on it. When it's time to change tires (which will probably be relatively soon - certainly before Winter hits) I'll go up to 235/85s which will take me up to about 32.5". Besides the tires my other concern is my open diffs. My last true 4x4, a Montero, at least had an LSD in the rear.

So, right off the bat I'm thinking the Triple Bypass might be a tad ambitious for my first club run, since the descriptions say that it's being run at a fast pace. I'd like to do Webster Pass some time this summer, or even Mt. Bross. The only 4x4 trails I've actually run this year have been Chihuahua and Medano Pass. Medano was great, the water crossings freaked the G/F out a little but with all the other stock trucks making it through I figured I wouldn't have any problems. My biggest fear on those water crossings is that I'm going to stall or get stuck halfway through the crossing and then need to get out.

I'm really more into the scenery and the solitude than just trying to see what my rig can do. I have a camper shell and a carpet kit for camping - the Tacoma is my little "mini-Winnie", so I'm not really into the extreme, rock-crawling kind of trails. Other trails I'd like to do include Schofield Pass, Argentine Pass, Ptarmigan/McAllister, Hayden Pass, Hermit Pass, and of course Pearl Pass and Italian Creek. I did Mosquito in the Montero from the Leadville side, but couldn't go all the way down because of snow (this was in 1997) and I've done Tincup in 1986 or so in a Toyota 4x4 pickup (my first Toyota!)

So, anyway, because of that, 33s are probably not going to happen, and if I get a lift, it will be the smallest lift I can get away with (isn't there some kind of lift you can do that just involves spacers over the coil springs?) My Tacoma is also my DD, so I don't want to do anything that's going to compromise it for that role, nor do I want to do anything that's going to make the already marginal MPG even worse (right now I'm getting about 19 in the city and 22-24 on the highway, which I think is pretty good for a V-6 equipped 4x4 that weighs probably 4,000 lbs.)

Hulk
08-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Let's see it.
http://rustybrain.com/haha/worthless.gif

ZappBranigan
08-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Here's a few photos, crossing Peru Creek near Montezuma:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z256/ZappBranigan/Chihuaua%20Gulch%20and%20Boreas%20Pass/CrossingPeruCreek02.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z256/ZappBranigan/Chihuaua%20Gulch%20and%20Boreas%20Pass/CrossingPeruCreek01.jpg

Descending Medano Pass:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z256/ZappBranigan/Medano%20Pass%20and%20Creede/Medano02.jpg