PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic failure?

treerootCO
08-10-2007, 08:22 AM
The last time I wheeled was with Uncle Ben in Moab. Golden Spike took out more than UB's ring gear and Longfield. My 40 started leaking between the t-case and transmission and I figured the adapter was loose again so I put her on the trailer and haven't wheeled since. Thanks to Gary's help yesterday and today, this is what we discovered. #1 Permatex is evil, and #2, three of the bolts holding the adapter to the transmission were broken in half. The others were probably stretched as well. From the look of the input seal of the T-case, the T-case was probably starting to hang a little low in the back. I am heading up now to put everything back together and get her back on the road.

I learned what FiP is ;)

MDH33
08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Woooah! :eek: So what is salvagable? Or did you stop driving it soon enough to avoid mangling stuff?

Glad you'll have it back together soon. :thumb: Hopefully you'll bring it out for the 40's only run in Sept?

Shark Bait
08-10-2007, 08:41 AM
So, what's it mean, Mike? Bad bolts? Had you been jumping it? :D

Red_Chili
08-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Permatex is evil.
FIP is not.
The Right Stuff is holy.

waggoner5
08-10-2007, 09:24 AM
As far as bolts go, Mike said he broke the tool tightening them, so I think the top 3 bolts that were broken had been stretched and fatigued early on and it didn't take long before they gave up. Then it was just a matter of time before the other 3 or 4 loosened up. I really think now after sleeping on it, that the studs keeping the adapter from coming up flush with the tranny was the cause of the breaking bolts and the leaks. We will see.
The funny thing is that he drove it up from his house to my little warehouse in Evergreen and we pondered on just re-torquing everything and wheeling it. Glad we changed our minds.

60wag
08-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Did you break that custom stud I turned for you? Do you think the cause of the problem was overtorqing the bolts in the first place or the increased ratio of the transfer case overloading the mounts?

Rezarf
08-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Mike-

I hope you get it up and running soon, let me know if you need a hand with anything, I am as good at finding a wrench and handing it to the guy who knows how to use it as anyone. :D

Glad to see you found the source, bummed to see it is on such a big part.

Rezarf <><

treerootCO
08-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Just got back from Evergreen and she is running great! We also replaced the rear pinion seal and swapped in new spark plug wires. The transmission always seemed to stick a little and now every gear seems smoother. That odd whirring/chatter sound the t-case used to make is gone as well. I really want to wheel Redcone Sunday but I may need to take it easy on the Birfs. They are fine but I can hear them click on full lock. The parts Bruce made for me are still going strong. Thank you for your help these past few days Gary.

waggoner5
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
We are done! Truck drives great and doesn't seem to be leaking so, so far so good. Heres what we found.
Studs were coming through the adapter approx .008-.010 keeping it from mounting all the way flush on the tranny.
I think this was what originally caused the problem. I don't think the studs were an issue, just the fact that they stuck too far through the adapter. We ground them down flush, turbo cleaned all faces down to bare clean metal, used FIPG and new hardware for the adapter, and reassembled the tcase with new seals, new fluids, and new shiney hardware, which has got to be good for something. The rear cross member that Mike built was reused, but being that there is a rubber mount involved, I don't think it can do anything but help.

bustanutley
08-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I have found the 3/4" adapter plates to be problematic. I believe my treads may just be worn and for whatever reason the bolts don't stretch like they should in order remain "locked" I have to re-torq the bolts that hold the case to the adapter after every trip as general maintenance. Next time I break a T-case I think I'll helicoil those treads and that may take care of the problem. I cannot wait to get rid of these stupid cruiser cases!

sleeoffroad
08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
We are done! Truck drives great and doesn't seem to be leaking so, so far so good. Heres what we found.
Studs were coming through the adapter approx .008-.010 keeping it from mounting all the way flush on the tranny.
I think this was what originally caused the problem. I don't think the studs were an issue, just the fact that they stuck too far through the adapter. We ground them down flush, turbo cleaned all faces down to bare clean metal, used FIPG and new hardware for the adapter, and reassembled the tcase with new seals, new fluids, and new shiney hardware, which has got to be good for something. The rear cross member that Mike built was reused, but being that there is a rubber mount involved, I don't think it can do anything but help.

And there I thought you hated mechanics work :D Treeroot must pay better than what we do

waggoner5
08-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Its funny around your place, I have been having to pay to be there instead of being paid to be there.

I really do hate mechanic work though at least its not on my truck...