PDA

View Full Version : Leak Down Compression Tester

DaveInDenver
08-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Anyone have one I could borrow for beers? I need to verify that the rings seated and valves are closing on my engine before going to the next step.

Inukshuk
08-14-2007, 04:01 PM
I have one that I used on my VW. Don't know if I have the fittings for cruiser spark plugs but you are welcome too it. No beers needed, but I'd be happy to sit down and have one with ya. I'm in Sloan's Lake.

DaveInDenver
08-14-2007, 04:55 PM
I have one that I used on my VW. Don't know if I have the fittings for cruiser spark plugs but you are welcome too it. No beers needed, but I'd be happy to sit down and have one with ya. I'm in Sloan's Lake.
Dunno about fittings, but I think I might be able to hobble something together or I might just buy one. I'll take you up on the beer in any case, nothing like sitting around heckling the guy wrenching, eh? It occurred to me that the cranking compression tester I have has a quick release fitting that might be a standard air hose fitting, which if that's true I could rig up a gauge and connectors to connect to my air compressor just make a hasty tester just to see.

SteveH
08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Remove the schrader valve from your compression tester quick disconnect hose, put each cyl at TDC (in succession) and listen at the carb and tailpipe and oil filler or PCV for hissing air. If each cylinder sounds tight, or has the same leakage, you're in good shape. Obviously, leakage sounds from the tailpipe indicated exhaust valve problems, air cleaner = intake, and oil filler/PCV = ring issues.

A mechanics stethoscope would be helpful in listening, I'd think. Harbor Fright has/had leakdown testers on sale recently, too - seemed very cheap.

Steve

wesintl
08-17-2007, 10:12 AM
I have a compression tester you can use. Diesel and gas